Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

1 minute ago, pingpong said:

Without him we would not have beaten peak arsenal, probably the best side we have ever beaten

I think stopping City from winning the quadruple in the League Cup would probably top that. Beating United in 2003 is probably on par with it too.

I thought Martin said that Lallana sully and him would on the grass last week and in contention for Cardiff.

Must admit I haven’t seen him in any training pics so maybe he meant they would be smoking weed last week.

Edited by northam soul
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, northam soul said:

I thought Martin said that Lallana sully and him would on the grass last week and in contention for Cardiff.

Must admit I haven’t seen him in any training pics so maybe he meant they would be smoking weed last week.

Ah, yes.  Sources tell me that Stewart went on the grass on Monday.  Unfortunately he had a bad reaction to the pollen and will be out for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I remember when Dungeness B nuclear power station was 2 years away from generating , each year this was repeated 😀

Stewart is like Hinkley Point C. In 2015 it was a 10 year project. In 2024 there's still 7 years to go.

HPC Stewart has a ring to it!

3 hours ago, northam soul said:

I thought Martin said that Lallana sully and him would on the grass last week 

Perhaps we should have signed Wille fucking Nelson then, he’d have been available for selection more than this fucking dud. 

• Like 1

Have I missed something here? Stewart played the last few games of the season (looked pretty good too) but now is back coming back from injury again? Did he have ANOTHER injury over the summer?

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Have I missed something here? Stewart played the last few games of the season (looked pretty good too) but now is back coming back from injury again? Did he have ANOTHER injury over the summer?

He played about 20 minutes at the end of last season and touched the ball 13 times. Pretty sure he didn't warm up at all for the WBA home game as well, so not sure what that was all about.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Impossible to answer given the club's furtiveness and/or subtefuge on the matter... if only we had some investigative local journos who could get to the truth rather than sit there meekly not challenging it every time Russ glibly trots out the "two weeks" line...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The whole thing is a bit odd, to not even travel to Spain for pre-season rang alarm bells for me. We were given excuses to do with the grass in Spain not being right for him and all sorts of shit. There's almost certainly more to this than is being let on, he's obviously got some sort of chorionic long-term condition that he's having to manage. He'll be advised to retire in the next year, I'm sure of it.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The whole thing is a bit odd, to not even travel to Spain for pre-season rang alarm bells for me. 

The loudest alarm bell for me was the open-training session at St Mary's on 1st August. It wasn't really a training session at all. More of a warm down session from the Oxford game the night before and/or a 'meet the fans' event. I'm pretty sure there were other players there who weren't in training due to fitness issues, but no sign of Stewart, even in a meet-and-greet capacity (if I recall correctly). And I'm also pretty sure this session came a week after another one of Russ's "he'll be back on the grass next week" declarations. One assumes the club would defend their furtiveness by saying they are being protective of Ross, not just from the physical injury side of things but I would imagine he won't be in a good place mentally either if his career is in jeopardy. Which is fair enough really.  

46 minutes ago, coalman said:

You start to wonder if there are payment clauses which kick in when he has attended enough team training sessions. 

You say that, but a standard PFA contract term was (I'm unsure if it is now) that each game missed after being injured in the field of play or being selected in a match day squad was deemed to be an appearance for bonuses etc. 

5 hours ago, LGTL said:

I refuse to believe he actually exists at this point. 

I was one of those rare species who saw him play for us. He certainly didn’t look injured when he went off which to me suggests the guy is fucked 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The whole thing is a bit odd, to not even travel to Spain for pre-season rang alarm bells for me. We were given excuses to do with the grass in Spain not being right for him and all sorts of shit. There's almost certainly more to this than is being let on, he's obviously got some sort of chorionic long-term condition that he's having to manage. He'll be advised to retire in the next year, I'm sure of it.

Yep he was apparently working on his strength training back here. Load of bollocks. He’s clearly fucked and will likely never play again at a decent level. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, saintant said:

Just under two more weeks until RM says again that Stewart is two weeks away.

He may not be the solution to our need for a new striker, but he could give us a new song.

To the tune of 24 hours from Tulsa: "He was only 2 weeks away from St Mary's"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Every time I see this thread bumped I hope there's some positive news. And every time there just isn't. Frustrating, as is the communication from the club.

I fear this will be another Sam McQueen situation.

I hope it's not a Clyne 'back injury' situation.

• Like 2

On 28/08/2024 at 18:22, Nordic Saint said:

He may not be the solution to our need for a new striker, but he could give us a new song.

To the tune of 24 hours from Tulsa: "He was only 2 weeks away from St Mary's"

Where is the Loch Ness Drogba, Where is the Loch Ness Drogba,

Where is the Loch Ness Drogba, Where is the Loch Ness Drogba,

Where is the Loch Ness Drogba, Where is the Loch Ness Drogba......................

57 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Every time I see this thread bumped I hope there's some positive news. And every time there just isn't. Frustrating, as is the communication from the club.

I fear this will be another Sam McQueen situation.

I hope it's not a Clyne 'back injury' situation.

Whatever it is, the longer he's out, the more difficult it'll be for him to come back. 

• Like 2

Just looking at his injury history I honestly don’t see him coming back and playing at this level again. An expensive mistake? Yes’s but it’s sweetened by the fact we off loaded Lavia when we did and for what we got for him. 

52 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Just looking at his injury history I honestly don’t see him coming back and playing at this level again. An expensive mistake? Yes’s but it’s sweetened by the fact we off loaded Lavia when we did and for what we got for him. 

Yeah, I'm just not convinced he's going to play another game for us. RM keeps feeding us bullshit about how he's going to be back soon but there's been nothing to back that up. 

• Like 2

I’m very surprised there’s been no decent journo digging around and finding out what’s happening with him. It’s been such a long time for what on the surface appears to be a relatively minor injury or even injuries, there must be a decent juicy story somewhere. If it’s true that he’s been out playing golf then there’s something fishy going on.

28 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’m very surprised there’s been no decent journo digging around and finding out what’s happening with him. It’s been such a long time for what on the surface appears to be a relatively minor injury or even injuries, there must be a decent juicy story somewhere. If it’s true that he’s been out playing golf then there’s something fishy going on.

Most, if not all, local journos tend to prefer to ingratiate themselves with the club they report on, as they know that rocking the boat is likely to cut them adrift. I'd be surprised if most journos don't already know the full story with regards RS and are keeping it under their hat to avoid souring relations with the club, which is understandable I guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Again? He never played at this level. He barely played at Championship level.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Hardly :lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, saintant said:

Latest is he's two weeks away from being two weeks away from being two weeks away from being two weeks away ad finitum.

I know every transfer is a risk but when you look at our lack of goal threat and then consider the combined transfer fees and wages for Ross Stewart and Tall Paul who contribute absolutely nothing between them it's such a shame, waste of resources 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Golf is a very low impact sport relative to football. No running so no additional load on the body. Nobody tackling you whilst you take a swing. No sustained sprints. No moving at speed on your legs in different directions.  A 70 year old can play golf but not competitive football. Ross can play golf as much as he likes and in no way would it suggest anything out of the ordinary.  

Edited by Daft Kerplunk
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Football Special said:

I know every transfer is a risk but when you look at our lack of goal threat and then consider the combined transfer fees and wages for Ross Stewart and Tall Paul who contribute absolutely nothing between them it's such a shame, waste of resources 

A little unfair on Onuachu, he barely played the Jan we signed him, and has been frozen and loaned out ever since. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

A little unfair on Onuachu, he barely played the Jan we signed him, and has been frozen and loaned out ever since. 

Yeah so a waste of a transfer fee ? 

My criticism is more for the people making these signings rather than the players themselves.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Golf is a very low impact sport relative to football. No running so no additional load on the body. Nobody tackling you whilst you take a swing. No sustained sprints. No moving at speed on your legs in different directions.  A 70 year old can play golf but not competitive football. Ross can play golf as much as he likes and in no way would it suggest anything out of the ordinary.  

That’s pretty obvious and serves to show perhaps where his fitness levels actually are - i.e, he really is crocked for good. Let’s hope not - it’s a big investment for the club to lose.

Is he on the grass yet? And by grass I don't mean the fairways and greens of a local golf course I mean the pitches at Stableford. We've been continually told for ages that he is two weeks away so I'm assuming he's training with those not on international duty. I certainly hope so because I genuinely think the guy deserves a bit of good fortune as he's been through what must have been tough times. He's untried at the highest level but I have a feeling that a fit and firing Ross Stewart would not look out of place in the Premier League if and when he gets some playing time under his belt. Good luck to him.