Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s not inconceivable that we’re negotiating a sale for RS. If he’s near enough full fitness, I imagine there’ll be a few suitors.

If a club buys RS on the back of his time here then they are absolute nut jobs, more so than us. No club is mental enough, surely.

A loan at most is what I could see a club interested in, but even that's a push - the bloke hasn't played a full game in almost 2 years.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If a club buys RS on the back of his time here then they are absolute nut jobs, more so than us. No club is mental enough, surely.

A loan at most is what I could see a club interested in, but even that's a push - the bloke hasn't played a full game in almost 2 years.

Image of He doesn't exist, except on paper.

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

We signed David Connolly when he hadn't played a full game in a year and a half. I know he was on a free but still. I bet half the championship sides would still take a punt on him.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

We signed David Connolly when he hadn't played a full game in a year and a half. I know he was on a free but still. I bet half the championship sides would still take a punt on him.

Maybe we can resurrect the "back from the dead" chant for Ross, if and when we ever see him play for us.

Wonder if we'll get some truth on this guy soon? Fairly sure he's not in Spain and has stayed behind for treatment on yet another injury, received after 1 day of training I imagine.

We were given identical spiel around him and Larios, they won't play games but they'll be involved/get up to speed etc. Larios is clearly visible in training, but Stewart is no where to be seen - he wasn't even watching on with the injured players. Even if he's injured you'd think he'd be there to bond and connect with the group in other ways, that's why it makes me think he's stayed behind because of our facilities to treat a new injury.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Wonder if we'll get some truth on this guy soon? Fairly sure he's not in Spain and has stayed behind for treatment on yet another injury, received after 1 day of training I imagine.

We were given identical spiel around him and Larios, they won't play games but they'll be involved/get up to speed etc. Larios is clearly visible in training, but Stewart is no where to be seen - he wasn't even watching on with the injured players. Even if he's injured you'd think he'd be there to bond and connect with the group in other ways, that's why it makes me think he's stayed behind because of our facilities to treat a new injury.

I think you're probably right. It makes no sense for him not to be there. Why would be be doing different training to the others? They said it was strength work didn't they? Well he's had months to do that if he was going to be doing it on his own away from the group. It doesn't stack up

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If that’s the case then I’ve little sympathy for the club around FFP restrictions or lack of cash. What £10m + whatever we paid Sunderland in a bonus (£2m?) for promotion for an essentially League One player in the last year his contract who hadn’t played for several months. To actually be an even worse striker purchase than Carrillo or Onachu - that takes serious quantities of alcohol consumption to think it was a good bit of business. He’s 28 as well or coming up to. 

Fair play in a way to him and his agent for earning all that money for doing nothing and lying on the physio couch/on the sofa whilst his team-mates flogged themselves through 50 games to get him a big pay rise. Happy to eat my words if he actually ever starts a game next season or plays more than 45 minutes in the Saints first team. Seems very unlikely he will.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

Confirmed, he stayed at home. Still feel there is more to this than just feeling 'leggy'.

Martin continued: "He's had two really good weeks but felt leggy, felt really tired, then we have to travel, be out here on a different pitch, in a different environment.

"Maybe it sounds a bit precious and we're going overboard but we have to care for him. For us long term, we need to really look after him.

"Ross wanted to be here but then he understands the reason, so he's back there, he's doing a lot of work with the guys to continue to stay fit and be ready.

Edited by S-Clarke

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Confirmed, he stayed at home. Still feel there is more to this than just feeling 'leggy'.

Martin continued: "He's had two really good weeks but felt leggy, felt really tired, then we have to travel, be out here on a different pitch, in a different environment.

"Maybe it sounds a bit precious and we're going overboard but we have to care for him. For us long term, we need to really look after him.

"Ross wanted to be here but then he understands the reason, so he's back there, he's doing a lot of work with the guys to continue to stay fit and be ready.

Fair play, that long-haul flight from Southampton to France can really take it out of you.

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Fair play, that long-haul flight from Southampton to France can really take it out of you. 

And the pitches are so different to the ones in the UK.  I hope he'll be alright if he is fit enough to play against teams in Manchester or at Newcastle.

• Haha 1

Preseasons must have changed a lot. I thought the idea was to up the fitness levels and the natural reaction to that extra work was tiredness? 

I guess they know what they are doing.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Preseasons must have changed a lot. I thought the idea was to up the fitness levels and the natural reaction to that extra work was tiredness? 

I guess they know what they are doing.

If that's the case, he might be doing purely fitness / stamina / strength work at the training ground, rather than twisting and turning little balls games. Less stress on the joints then? 

To put a different way of thinking on the RM comments.

Maybe Ross is pushing himself too hard to get back? It's not uncommon to get a completely new injury when working back to fitness. It seems he did this last season.

So perhaps the club are having him ease back a little?

• Like 2

I feel we need to give him a chance. Mentally he probably is pretty low, he wants to play Im sure but perhaps hes not ready or fearful of another set back.

I do also wonder that the club put a clause in the transfer about not recovering, it was a shot in the dark. Also to be fair Im sure the fans were clamouring to get him and so its a bit harsh to now bin him off

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If that's the case, he might be doing purely fitness / stamina / strength work at the training ground, rather than twisting and turning little balls games. Less stress on the joints then? 

Sounds fine. But how long ago was his operation? Should he not be at the twisting and turning stage by now? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Sounds fine. But how long ago was his operation? Should he not be at the twisting and turning stage by now? 

Honestly I'm guessing, but remember when Jay Rodriguez was out? He was out for a long while and lost loads of muscle mass in his leg, then had an imbalance of muscle so was over compensating on the other leg, causing a further injury.

I'm guessing that with Stewart out for basically a year, there could be a similar concern, so they're concentrating on overall power, strength and conditioning as well as stamina. Just my hypothesis though. 

Whatever, I think he could be decent so I hope we see him fighting fit soon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

I feel we need to give him a chance. Mentally he probably is pretty low, he wants to play Im sure but perhaps hes not ready or fearful of another set back.

I do also wonder that the club put a clause in the transfer about not recovering, it was a shot in the dark. Also to be fair Im sure the fans were clamouring to get him and so its a bit harsh to now bin him off

Had a long conversation with him at the kit launch. What I can say is that he is a very nice, friendly person and happy to talk. He came across a very positive about the coming season.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Solid gold 5 ️ bullshit.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

but we have to care for him. For us long term, we need to really look after him.

...because we definitely won't be able to shift him if he's still broken.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2024 at 15:56, Holmes_and_Watson said:

... because that insurance claims assessor is watching very closely.

I agree, I have a feeling at the end if the window we might start to get some noises about retiring due to injury.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Would love to know how he got through the medical...

We got the Delgado doctor back, he has a fisher price kids medical box and printed a certificate of achievement on twinkle!  I assume he is uninsured as we signed a known crock!

This is what Russ said about Bella-Kotchap and Ross Stewart just over a week ago, before the Spain trip:

"It's a decision we've made, Armel will probably have to miss four or five days of training, he'll be back to training by Thursday (25th July) but we have a game on Wednesday.

"Thursday is a recovery day and then we play on Saturday which he isn't quite ready for so for him to be out here for one day of training would have been pointless.

"When we go back, he'll be ready, he'll be involved to train, and the same with Ross, so I said to him we need to manage his minutes, we need to manage his load."

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24472060.martin-bella-kotchap-stewart-not-travelled/

So, given they arrived back from Spain 4 days ago, unless there's been a set-back that we haven't been told about, then both players should be back in normal training by now....

Edit: Stewart isn't at the open training session today by all accounts, so I guess that means the club are being economical with the truth and/or slow in providing fans with an updated position....

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24496411.russell-martin-gives-latest-adam-lallana-ross-stewart-fitness/

I probably read too much between the lines on updates such as this but IMO it's a bit of a head scratcher when Russ says in one breath: "Ross picked up a little something [during pre-season] and now he's fine" but then says: "We need to get him through a couple of weeks of full training first before we can put him on the pitch. Otherwise, we are just risking something. He's in a good place now."

Why does a player need "a couple of weeks of full training" when all that's happened is that he "picked up a little something" and is now "fine"...?  

If we had to wait two weeks for every player to recover from "a little something" then we probably wouldn't be able to field a starting 11....!

It's a good job I'm not a conspiracy theorist otherwise I might be inclined to conclude we're still not being given the full picture here.... ;)

p.s. not forgetting that Russ said this two weeks ago (talking about ABK and RS): "When we go back [from Spain trip], he'll be ready, he'll be involved to train, and the same with Ross". So, two weeks ago Ross was going to be "ready" within a week. And now he's another two weeks away.... hmmm....

Edited by trousers

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24496411.russell-martin-gives-latest-adam-lallana-ross-stewart-fitness/

I probably read too much between the lines on updates such as this but IMO it's a bit of a head scratcher when Russ says in one breath: "Ross picked up a little something [during pre-season] and now he's fine" but then says: "We need to get him through a couple of weeks of full training first before we can put him on the pitch. Otherwise, we are just risking something. He's in a good place now."

Why does a player need "a couple of weeks of full training" when all that's happened is that he "picked up a little something" and is now "fine".  

If we had to wait two weeks for every player to recover from "a little something" then we probably wouldn't be able to field a starting 11....!

It's a good job I'm not a conspiracy theorist otherwise I might be inclined to conclude we're still not being given the full picture here.... ;)

p.s. not forgetting that Russ said this two weeks ago (talking about ABK and RS): "When we go back [from Spain trip], he'll be ready, he'll be involved to train, and the same with Ross". So, two weeks ago Ross was going to be "ready" within a week. And now he's another two weeks away.... hmmm....

I dont trust anything he says about injuries to be honest unless he does actually come out and say "its a bad one" or words to that effect.

Its quite obvious Stewart wont be playing a major role for some time, if ever. Similar with the small issue Lallana supposedly had before the Eastleigh game. Havent seen him since and to say he "may" feature this coming Saturday.....umm, we'll see. 

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I dont trust anything he says about injuries to be honest unless he does actually come out and say "its a bad one" or words to that effect.

Its quite obvious Stewart wont be playing a major role for some time, if ever. Similar with the small issue Lallana supposedly had before the Eastleigh game. Havent seen him since and to say he "may" feature this coming Saturday.....umm, we'll see. 

For a club on a budget, they certainly like to piss money away on duds.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Why does a player need "a couple of weeks of full training" when all that's happened is that he "picked up a little something" and is now "fine"...?  

Because he has been out for so long with significant injuries they have to be incredibly careful with him otherwise other injuries will occur (as it sounds like happened recently). He will not be on the same schedule as a fit player in the middle of the season that has picked up a "little something". Ross has barely played in two years.

Personally my issue with our medical team in recent years is that they seem to rush players back too quickly from significant injuries, and then they inevitably get another injury from their body trying to compensate for this imbalance in their strength/flexibility. Ross had an injured ankle, but had a severe hamstring injury when trying to come back to full fitness. Tino had a knee injury, then a hamstring injury when trying to come back to full fitness. Larios has had so many setbacks and complications that I've frankly lost track.

• Like 1