Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

37 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Oh no doubt you get awful games at that level too, I've seen my fair share of stinkers over the years while stood in the cold wondering what the hell I'm doing with my life.

It's just different though. The stalwarts who go every week and grumble with dry humour, the old bloke with a stick who doesn't seem to age, the unreasonably cheerful woman working in the tea hut, terrible tannoys that emit random high pitched noises every once in a while, kids playing games on a grass area behind the pitch which are sometimes more entertaining than the match you paid for, the club secretary with fried egg yolk stains down his shirt. 

You get the odd jumped up club with a bit of cash and suspicious finances who suddenly get a couple of aging ex League 1 pros, but they quickly become the club no one else likes and invariably run into trouble.

Personally I love it's charm. It's not elite sport but then it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is.

When my lad lived in Solihull we went a few times to watch Moors play when Tim Flowers was manager. It was great ok standard not brilliant but committed players and fans all stood together having a beer watching. 
Better than watching Prem games for me no light shows or fireworks 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

However, I went to Tamworth v Chester on Saturday. The home team was 15 points clear at the top of the table and managed not a single shot on goal in the 0-0 draw.

A pig of a game then? Did Chester park the minibus?

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Oh no doubt you get awful games at that level too, I've seen my fair share of stinkers over the years while stood in the cold wondering what the hell I'm doing with my life.

It's just different though. The stalwarts who go every week and grumble with dry humour, the old bloke with a stick who doesn't seem to age, the unreasonably cheerful woman working in the tea hut, terrible tannoys that emit random high pitched noises every once in a while, kids playing games on a grass area behind the pitch which are sometimes more entertaining than the match you paid for, the club secretary with fried egg yolk stains down his shirt. 

You get the odd jumped up club with a bit of cash and suspicious finances who suddenly get a couple of aging ex League 1 pros, but they quickly become the club no one else likes and invariably run into trouble.

Personally I love it's charm. It's not elite sport but then it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is.

I've got more and more into local football. It started watching Harrogate Town more from the Conference North now into league two but i'd been to watch Harrogate Railway in the Northern Counties league a bit this season. Two reasons because their junior team want my lad to sign for them and secondly because some of his coaches at the Brazilian soccer school he goes to play for them.

It's a great club, ground is a proper non league ground that looks like it hasn't changed for 50 years, a very small stand a terrace behind the goal with toilets that haven't changed since the 1960s, a crap dug out with another little terrace area in front of a corrogated Iron fence between the ground, the houses behind and railway track. Webuyanycar using half the car park with the other half badly parked cars with no clue how there are so many for a club that has about 50 there most weeks. Then completely out of place is a brand new club house, changing rooms and bar, which overlooks the pitch and the rugby club next door. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

A pig of a game then? Did Chester park the minibus?

They had a record attendance of 2205, with a large away following. It threatened to kick off at the final whistle. The trip was worth it to dine at the Spudman

12 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

They had a record attendance of 2205, with a large away following. It threatened to kick off at the final whistle. The trip was worth it to dine at the Spudman

I can just imagine.. one lone constable thinking 'oh f....... !'

On 19/03/2024 at 14:13, VectisSaint said:

So how come we won every League game that followed an FA Cup game this season? 

during the cup game, not when we went back to our better starting line up

37 minutes ago, saintstowin said:

It's no laughing matter, who's going to play on the wing for Saints when we're in the world cup, Jack Stephens?

Got to find a place for him somewhere 

2 hours ago, trousers said:

A chance to watch a Saints player in action today... Live on YouTube at 12pm

Goal for THB!

Edit: ah, not quite.... goal given to Jaden Philogene

Edited by trousers

2 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Gotta feel for one of our old midfield stalwarts. Can you imagine the moaning from the likes of Klopp having to deal with this kind of fixture congestion, even makes our own run in look tame!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68630567

Paul Wotton will no doubt lead them through it the same way he dragged Saints through matches with his talisman displays.

5 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Gotta feel for one of our old midfield stalwarts. Can you imagine the moaning from the likes of Klopp having to deal with this kind of fixture congestion, even makes our own run in look tame!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68630567

As bad as the number of games they're facing, its also the travel, with home games in Gloucester (195 miles from Truro according to the BBC article).

8 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

That Brazil goal looked a mile offside. But then I’ve had a Negroni and a Dubonnet and gin.

Offside to me too. 

England continue to play in their managers image. Utter borefest. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

Offside to me too. 

England continue to play in their managers image. Utter borefest. 

Quite incredible how he makes so many good attacking players looks bafflingly shit every time we play 

11 hours ago, adrian lord said:

That Brazil goal looked a mile offside. But then I’ve had a Negroni and a Dubonnet and gin.

The excuse was on the first check when the ball was played forward that V jr was onside and the offside player wasn't interfering with play . Which is nonsence when that offside player went on to receive the ball and put it in the net !!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

The excuse was on the first check when the ball was played forward that V jr was onside and the offside player wasn't interfering with play . Which is nonsence when that offside player went on to receive the ball and put it in the net !!

But when he received the ball he was onside again.

Controversial opinion maybe but why are they treating Sven like a make a wish child? Letting him pretend to be the Liverpool manager for a game, all the old England players recording him little messages (including Scholes saying "get well soon" ffs.) Obviously it's very sad that he's got a terminal illness but there's something about it that feels rather patronising. He's a grown man. We had quotes from journalists like "just look at his face." Wasn't the bloke a serial cheater who failed with the England team? Obviously I don't wish him ill and I hope he's happy but this feels a bit over the top to me. Maybe I'm wrong. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Controversial opinion maybe but why are they treating Sven like a make a wish child? Letting him pretend to be the Liverpool manager for a game, all the old England players recording him little messages (including Scholes saying "get well soon" ffs.) Obviously it's very sad that he's got a terminal illness but there's something about it that feels rather patronising. He's a grown man. We had quotes from journalists like "just look at his face." Wasn't the bloke a serial cheater who failed with the England team? Obviously I don't wish him ill and I hope he's happy but this feels a bit over the top to me. Maybe I'm wrong. 

Did Scholes really say that?

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Got to remember that football is very good at over doing sentimental stuff.

2 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Perhaps the make a wish could continue to him leading England at the Euros, if his health holds up? 🙂

I'd be up for that over Southgate. We will probably get knocked out in the semis whilst having the strongest squad in my lifetime and boring everyone to death. 

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

England were just f-ing dull again, last night.

it’s so dreary watching them. how can a team with foden, rice and bellingham be so flat and unimaginative. 

he’s had two years since the WC to find a replacement for Maguire yet we are heading into the euros with him still playing 

the stockport v mk dons game was more engaging 

1 hour ago, Galway saint said:

it’s so dreary watching them. how can a team with foden, rice and bellingham be so flat and unimaginative. 

he’s had two years since the WC to find a replacement for Maguire yet we are heading into the euros with him still playing 

the stockport v mk dons game was more engaging 

But wait till Hendo's back, he'll sort it out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Surprised the tabloids haven't obtained an(other) exclusive with Ulrika yet. Can't be far away.

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Prediction for England's EURO 2024:

- Everyone is fuming that Jordan Henderson and Connor Gallagher are included in the squad.

- Unconvincingly finish 1st in the group.

- Win in ro16, everyone becomes delusional.

- Quarter final, play against our first half decent team, lose.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Prediction for England's EURO 2024:

- Everyone is fuming that Jordan Henderson and Connor Gallagher are included in the squad.

- Unconvincingly finish 1st in the group.

- Win in ro16, everyone becomes delusional.

- Quarter final, play against our first half decent team, lose.

Steps 2, and 3 - to the inevitable backdrop of " It's coming home..." 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Someone on the radio saying Henderson was the big miss in that position. The reason given is that it's because he coaches the others, especially the less experienced, through games.

It sounded as a desperate attempt at support since they felt skill and form obviously can't be used. I get the feeling I tuned in after some criticism of him being in the squad.

4 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

iPlayer, S4C, Viaplay - could be a bit tetchy in Cardiff tonight around 10ish.

I found it on iPlayer, but they’re talking fucking nonsense. About 42 people speak Welsh, is there any English commentary anywhere.