Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Who cost more than Bazunu ? 
Who could we have signed ? 

I meant more than Pope. 

This question has been asked and answered a ton. Do you not think we coukd have signed anyone else? Did other teams around us make a gk signing in the summer and survive? 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I meant more than Pope. 

This question has been asked and answered a ton. Do you not think we coukd have signed anyone else? Did other teams around us make a gk signing in the summer and survive? 

You said we could have signed  better more experienced keeper so i asked you who 

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yeah, all those games where Moi, AA, Che and Onuachu were slamming in goals but we lost 4-3 because of Baz really cost us.

We wouldn't have been so far behind if we had a better keeper, and the players would have had something to actually play for. Who knows how things would have ended, but we'd have been in with a fighting chance of staying up if we had a goalkeeper capable of keeping goal. 

• Like 2

If Che didn’t miss on the wolves goal line amongst many other chances, if our other strikers scored the chances they had would we have stayed up ? 

That doesn’t mean we have to accept a sub standard keeper in nets. The team was woeful & he was one of the worst. He wouldn’t have been anywhere near any other premier league starting 11, he’s not good enough. And from what we’ve seen so far this season, he doesn’t look good enough for the championship either. 

• Like 1

If Che didn’t miss on the wolves goal line amongst many other chances, if our other strikers scored the chances they had would we have stayed up ? 

Put yourself in the position of che or any other outfield player last season knowing that whatever they did, Baz would likely mess up at the other end. It was evident last season that the defence had little confidence in Baz, and that will have spread across the pitch. The impact of a poor goalkeeper who costs goals and points is a hell of a lot more than just the goals conceded. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Leno at Fulham for one. 

Good option had we explored it.

Possibly Sam Johnstone as well. Unspectacular perhaps, but probably more solid and reliable over the course of a season than a 19 year old. 

• Like 1

Last season we conceded 73 goals in the league and good many of these were down to having Bazunu and McCarthy as our first team keepers.  No team in the Championship conceded that many despite playing eight more games, so we need a rather stark improvement defensively to be competitive. 

At the end of last season I thought goalkeeper needed to be a priority position for this summer, and a good indicator of Sport Republic's pledge to learn from their mistake in using Saints as a work experience project - a canary in the coalmine.  I am hopeful that having come in recently Wilcox and Martin are now aware of our frailty and will seek funds to address it before the close of the window, a more pragmatic approach to Ankersen's vanity in avoiding the obvious. 

Bazunu is a youngster, and if the club think he's a prospect genuine support for him would be to either protect him within the first team squad as number two to a solid experienced mentor, or loan in out to build confidence and technique.  Top level keepers need confidence, craft, and physical strength / presence and currently GB appears to be lacking all three.  These attributes might come in time but ideally we need them there when we kick off against Sheffield Wednesday in less than two weeks or very soon afterwards.         

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 2

I feel sorry for the lad. 

He’s been thrown in way above his head. Could turn into a great keeper in a few years, but he has been properly hung out to dry by the club. I would be happy with him as a back up, but if we are serious about promotion we have to have someone who knows his trade IMO 

• Like 3

Just now, Osvaldorama said:

He’s been thrown in way above his head. Could turn into a great keeper in a few years, but he has been properly hung out to dry by the club. I would be happy with him as a back up, but if we are serious about promotion we have to have someone who knows his trade IMO 

Absolutely. He's plainly a talented lad and properly managed he could go on to have a great career. It was a sink or scenario and the poor lad sank. We must upgrade this season for our sake and his. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why did we have to buy the clown, why didn’t we just take him on loan, with the option to buy? 

Put it like this, 90% of the supporters would not want us taking the option had we done so imo. 

Thing is he may turn into an excellent keeper with time. That time isn't now though which is why he shouldn't be our first choice. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I reckon he easily cost us 10 points last season with the mistakes he made. We finished 11 points behind. 

So in other words, if we had a perfect keeper, who made no mistakes, we’d still have been relegated.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I’ve seen very little to suggest that this is likely. Too many needless mistakes, not enough saves made, not enough command of the high ball, he just looks like a bag of nerves. The best we can hope for is him being a backup but he has an enormous amount of stepping up if he’s going to make a success of it at Championship level or above. Two absolutely painful rickets in two pre season games aren’t going to help that one little bit. It was telling that he was frozen out for a terrible McCarthy at the back end of last season.

14 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Who cost more than Bazunu ? 
Who could we have signed ? 

He meant cost less. 

Leno went to Fulham for £4million, was excellent for them. 

Navas went to Forest on loan, we could have got him. 

Bournemouth signed Neto on a free transfer - his return for injury is what turned their season and kept them up. 

Sam Johnstone signed for Palace on a free transfer.

What was most interesting to me whilst looking at goalkeeper transfers is that there was about 15 goalkeepers aged between 19 and 22 who were signed by premier league clubs last summer...and then promptly loaned out again to gain experience. We signed a 19 year old and stuck him in as number one. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

This

For me, the goalkeeper the main position that you don't take any risks with. 

This is the one position that we should scout differently to every other. We shouldn't be looking to scout goalies with the intent to make money with future transfers (i.e young with potential). We should scout experienced goalkeepers that will stay with us for a few years, who also have good shot stopping stats at our current level or above.

This (along with many others) was a massive mistake by Sport Republic last season. Throwing a 20 year old into being a starting Premier League goalie, with no real experience above League 1 was catastrophic.

I really hope he can come good this season, but there's already been two shockers against Goztepe and Reading, which puts a lot of doubts in people's minds, and rightly so. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

For me, the goalkeeper the main position that you don't take any risks with. 

This is the one position that we should scout differently to every other. We shouldn't be looking to scout goalies with the intent to make money with future transfers (i.e young with potential). We should scout experienced goalkeepers that will stay with us for a few years, who also have good shot stopping stats at our current level or above.

This (along with many others) was a massive mistake by Sport Republic last season. Throwing a 20 year old into being a starting Premier League goalie, with no real experience above League 1 was catastrophic.

I really hope he can come good this season, but there's already been two shockers against Goztepe and Reading, which puts a lot of doubts in people's minds, and rightly so. 

Wholeheartedly agree. I mean, what the actual fuck were they thinking? It's a fucking schoolboy-playing-FM error that reeks of contrived attempts to 'think outside the box'.

As you rightly say, a GK is one position where you really do need to think inside the box with your scouting. That one game Bazunu had against Ipswich when playing for Portsmouth (in League One, for crying out loud) was enough of a clue of his ineptitude.

We can't afford to piss about with him in goal.

• Like 1

I can't believe its even up for debate that (a) Bazunu was nowhere near PL standard last year and (b) there were PL quality goalkeepers available to us that we could have signed instead and probably for less money (most of them have been mentioned).

Whether Bazunu is good enough for a promotion chasing Championship side is yet to be seen and whether he turns out to be "quality" in the future is, again, to be seen but personally I haven't seen much to suggest we've got a top keeper in waiting. It's a concern that he's making silly errors in pre-season, let's hope he gets those out of his system before we start in the league, but we know that those types of mistakes are going to cost a team like ours points - as encouraging as yesterday was, this team had a serious issue scoring goals last year.

I hope Bazunu turns out to be good, every Saints fan does, but so far he's quite a bit worse than Angus Gunn (to compare to another keeper we paid big money for from City) and we got rid of him quickly enough....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Things can be both. 

The defending was poor but if you want to stay up/get promoted your Goalkeeper cannot be making a howler a game which typically results in a goal. We all know it's the least forgiving position in the game.

We need an experienced goalkeeper. He is not ready.

There were no howlers yesterday. When the opposition can waltz right into the box unopposed they’re probably going to score every time.

Get a sense of reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, egg said:

Put yourself in the position of che or any other outfield player last season knowing that whatever they did, Baz would likely mess up at the other end. It was evident last season that the defence had little confidence in Baz, and that will have spread across the pitch. The impact of a poor goalkeeper who costs goals and points is a hell of a lot more than just the goals conceded. 

Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

You know that isn't remotely true, what point are you trying to make?

Exactly what I said. Baz was substandard and if anyone wants to argue his mistakes cost us ten points, compared to a top level keeper, then so be it. My point is that even if you swap him for peak Niemi, we still get relegated. Therefore saying that he was the main reason we went down is nonsense.

• Like 3

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Thought you'd pop up eventually!

I just cannot stand the puerile drivel that gets written on here. It’s all extreme rubbish.

I searched for the highlights expecting to see a game full of amateurish goalkeeping errors and I gave up when I go to the end.

If we win every game 4-2 this season I will be happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

It really doesn't if you actually think about it and understand it Whitey. There's a thing called confidence, and shit keepers like Baz drain it from their team mates. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Exactly what I said. Baz was substandard and if anyone wants to argue his mistakes cost us ten points, compared to a top level keeper, then so be it. My point is that even if you swap him for peak Niemi, we still get relegated. Therefore saying that he was the main reason we went down is nonsense.

It's not nonsense. There were loads of reasons we went down last year and Bazunu being rubbish is certainly one of them. I'm not sure I agree with someone who has the opinion that he was the main reason, but it wouldn't be entirely outlandish for someone to think that. He was certainly a big reason. 

• Like 1

I just cannot stand the puerile drivel that gets written on here. It’s all extreme rubbish.

I searched for the highlights expecting to see a game full of amateurish goalkeeping errors and I gave up when I go to the end.

There's nothing extreme about pointing out that making a bad error that leads to a goal once a game is below average for a first team keeper and is likely to cost us points in tighter games where we don't score 4. Statistically he was the worst keeper last year for saving shots that were saveable. Going on the evidence so far, it seems like that will continue. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

There's nothing extreme about pointing out that making a bad error that leads to a goal once a game is below average for a first team keeper and is likely to cost us points in tighter games where we don't score 4. Statistically he was the worst keeper last year for saving shots that were saveable. Going on the evidence so far, it seems like that will continue. 

You're fighting a losing battle trying to make Whitey see reason on this issue mate. It's staggering that anyone can try to argue that Baz cost us heavily last season, has made errors pre season, and isn't the keeper we need this season. 

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What did you make of Bazunu's attempt at their second goal?

Just now, egg said:

You're fighting a losing battle trying to make Whitey see reason on this issue mate. It's staggering that anyone can try to argue that Baz cost us heavily last season, has made errors pre season, and isn't the keeper we need this season. 

He didn’t’ cost us heavily’. That’s ridiculous.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I reckon he easily cost us 10 points last season with the mistakes he made. We finished 11 points behind. 

Not going to argue with the points, I really can't remember, but all keepers make mistakes, so fair chance another keeper would have cost us some points too.

You mention Navas on another post. He was fucking terrible when we played them. I know he had a couple of good games for Forest when he first joined, but overall he wasn't great. 

Serious question - did you watch us last season? If so, you'd have seen lots of goals that were his fault. That led to points lost. It's not complicated.

Edited by egg

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

What did you make of Bazunu's attempt at their second goal?

He did well to get a hand to it. The attacker was right on top of him and had got their unopposed.he was always most likely to score. If you’re relying on your goalkeeper to save one on ones from a few feet away then you’re going to be disappointed.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Why is that ridiculous? Statistically he was the worst goalkeeper in the league last year along with the Leeds keeper. He undoubtedly cost us goals and points due to his own goalkeeping ability and the knock-on effect that has on the players around him. I'm not sure how that can even be argued, even if you accept that it wasn't the main reason for relegation and that lots of other factors combined together to achieve it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not nonsense. There were loads of reasons we went down last year and Bazunu being rubbish is certainly one of them. I'm not sure I agree with someone who has the opinion that he was the main reason, but it wouldn't be entirely outlandish for someone to think that. He was certainly a big reason. 

Then McCarthy came in and was even worse. Something like 17 conceded in 6 games.

Also, we lost 1-0 in the league 9 times. Does that sound like a team who’s main problem is between the sticks?

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

Serious question - did you watch us last season? If so, you'd have seen lots of goals that were his fault. That led to points lost. It's not complicated.

I had a season ticket. I saw very, very few games where he cost us any points.

It really isn’t complicated.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu