Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

1 hour ago, musesaint said:

Too bloody right!

We have one of the best keepers in the Championship but the haters cannot stop hating once they have selected their victim. 

Don’t be hysterical. It’s a football forum where people express a view on a game of football and the players. 

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That is ludicrous.

It's really not. The defenders may give up chances but that has no bearing on whether he has the ability to make the save at the end of it.

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

Estimated Market Values?

image.thumb.png.4753536ec38f09d9d3d401b121ff5b03.png

So you're going to put stock in THAT but not statistical analysis which is used by experts throughout the professional game world wide to judge performance? 😂

31 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's really not. The defenders may give up chances but that has no bearing on whether he has the ability to make the save at the end of it.

So you're going to put stock in THAT but not statistical analysis which is used by experts throughout the professional game world wide to judge performance? 😂

So you're actually questioning our statistics department as apparently you can see something they can't.

16 hours ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

Sorry but that just doesn't make any sense, below, you'll find the bottom10 goalkeeping statistics out of 208 goalkeepers in the top 5 European leagues. He is statistically the worst keeper when measured on key performance indicators such as save % and post shot expected goals against, for instance he let in 16.6 goals that he should have saved which places him last (out of 208 GKs!! Ffs!).

spacer.png

spacer.png

You missed the U23 part….IMG_9827.thumb.png.26210cee6da44e48b0210e0d8bfce5fd.png

• Haha 1

I don’t need statistics to tell me he was fucking pony last season, my bins can do that. 

Got to laugh at the Bazenettes parsing him because he hasn’t made a Cock up yet this season (apart from the horrific attempt against Norwich when the Lino bailed him out, and preseason). When he actually starts stopping shots that others would let in, that’s the time to praise him. To go up we will need a keeper gaining us points well as not losing us any. I’ve seen nothing yet to suggest he’s going to do that yet. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t need statistics to tell me he was fucking pony last season, my bins can do that. 

Got to laugh at the Bazenettes parsing him because he hasn’t made a Cock up yet this season (apart from the horrific attempt against Norwich when the Lino bailed him out, and preseason). When he actually starts stopping shots that others would let in, that’s the time to praise him. To go up we will need a keeper gaining us points well as not losing us any. I’ve seen nothing yet to suggest he’s going to do that yet. 

So a player scoring a rebound literally because he was offside and therefore nearer the ball than the defenders is now, ‘the Lino bailing him out’? Sounds like you’re in for a very miserable and frustrating season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

So a player scoring a rebound literally because he was offside and therefore nearer the ball than the defenders is now, ‘the Lino bailing him out’? Sounds like you’re in for a very miserable and frustrating season.

It was horrendous goalkeeping.  No excuses. And with Baz in nets it probably will be frustrating & miserable as I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s got the quality we’re going to need

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

It's about time this thread was closed. It's obvious it's been kept on life support by around half a dozen biased posters that aren't prepared to cut him some slack. The facts as I see them, he has let in six goals this season and in my opinion had no chance with any of them. The criticism would be better aimed at the ball watching back four. KWP who doesn't track back or mark the only threat on the far post,  Manning who needs new studs and learn to recognise a time and place not to try and pull the ball down with his spare foot, Bednarek who will blame anybody and everybody whilst failing to recognise he took no action, Stephens who ball watches and backs off instead of closing down. All ended up giving away the goals. Alcaraz marking nobody who didn't bother picking up Rowe being marked by nobody. Russell Martin needs to get a grip on the lack of competent defending. Bazunu hasn't been bad at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dirkdiggler said:

Yep just pulled them out me arse….

Those lists are just subjective opinions with no evidence quoted to back it up. I prefer judging ability from the objective statistical record alongside my own eyes rather than putting stock in the opinion of (checks) Abdullahi Ishola from topsoccerblog.com, who lists Bazunu being of Nigerian descent as a reason that he is highly rated. 

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler said:

Problem is most making comments have no idea about goalkeeping either.

I know enough to know that Niemi was an excellent keeper and we haven't had a better one since. I also know enough to see a number of weaknesses in Bazunu's game (was good enough last week though, long may it continue.)

Watch him pull off some worldie saves in the coming weeks and see how clark focus’ on the short pass to the defender that nearly got intercepted…

…last season. 🤣

Derry hit the nail on the head, as have a few now including me. There is nothing more to add. Some just have their hatred for someone for little to no reason. People like that can’t be changed.

🤣

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

14 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Watch him pull off some worldie saves in the coming weeks and see how clark focus’ on the short pass to the defender that nearly got intercepted…

…last season. 🤣

Derry hit the nail on the head, as have a few now including me. There is nothing more to add. Some just have their hatred for someone for little to no reason. People like that can’t be changed.

🤣

I've given him praise in the past. This has escalated in a bizarre way. I literally just posted his save percentage stat. 

I have no hatred for him. Do I think he's shit? Yes. Do I think he has potential? Yes. Do I think he'll reach it? I'm doubtful, and certainly not this season. He is at very best a huge gamble to have as our number one. 

My opinion of Bazunu is far less vitriolic than some of the things spouted on here about Elyounoussi, Onuachu, Armstrong, Aribo or even Che Adams. 

55 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I've given him praise in the past. This has escalated in a bizarre way. I literally just posted his save percentage stat. 

I have no hatred for him. Do I think he's shit? Yes. Do I think he has potential? Yes. Do I think he'll reach it? I'm doubtful, and certainly not this season. He is at very best a huge gamble to have as our number one. 

My opinion of Bazunu is far less vitriolic than some of the things spouted on here about Elyounoussi, Onuachu, Armstrong, Aribo or even Che Adams. 

Do I think you’ve made your point? 

11 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

But you don’t do that without having an agenda. The figure you have decided to use is meaningless yet you cannot see it as such. You have chosen to use it because you think it confirms your views. But it doesn’t.

’Team concede four goals. It must be the goalkeeper’s fault.’

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But you don’t do that without having an agenda. The figure you have decided to use is meaningless yet you cannot see it as such. You have chosen to use it because you think it confirms your views. But it doesn’t.

’Team concede four goals. It must be the goalkeeper’s fault.’

That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is "keeper concedes 3 out of every 4 shots on target, this is a problem if it carries on".

20 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

There you go again. Why can you not see how meaningless this is?

Over the course of a season, it's not meaningless. I'm just keeping track of it. 

If it was flipped and he saved 75% of all shots on target we'd be singing his praises for it.

45 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Over the course of a season, it's not meaningless. I'm just keeping track of it. 

If it was flipped and he saved 75% of all shots on target we'd be singing his praises for it.

So what are the statistics regarding the  shots he had no way of reaching, 6 out of 6 this season. You have become obsessed with pushing your view which really is unsustainable. Worse still you are keeping this useless thread going. Maybe the answer is to refrain from commenting and feeding your obsession. But you can't!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Over a season or over the rest of time, it is meaningless.

Once you come to accept this you will be on your path to redemption. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, derry said:

So what are the statistics regarding the  shots he had no way of reaching, 6 out of 6 this season. You have become obsessed with pushing your view which really is unsustainable. Worse still you are keeping this useless thread going. Maybe the answer is to refrain from commenting and feeding your obsession. But you can't!

"Obsessed" mate I'm literally just replying to people who reply to me, it's how a forum works 😂 

Bazunu was rubbish last season. Our eyes told us that.  That said, everyone else was rubbish pretty much too - he is not single-handedly responsible.

given he isn’t been replaced, not much choice but to give him the benefit of the doubt. Let’s see if he can improve.

Just now, Jimbo said:

Bazunu was rubbish last season. Our eyes told us that.  That said, everyone else was rubbish pretty much too - 

But with everyone else we’re allowed to say they’re rubbish. When it comes to Baz it’s either an agenda, blind hatred or an obsession, and only happy Baz fans can post on the Baz thread.

Bloke goes 3 games without letting a soft goal in and we’re supposed to forget he’s appalling performances last season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If we think save percentage is important, baz had a similar % shots saved last season as Ederson at man city, and had a higher saves per game ratio.  (And saved 50% of penalties). Ergo, if man city can win in the prem despite having such awful keeper stats, so can we in the championship?

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

But with everyone else we’re allowed to say they’re rubbish. When it comes to Baz it’s either an agenda, blind hatred or an obsession, and only happy Baz fans can post on the Baz thread.

Bloke goes 3 games without letting a soft goal in and we’re supposed to forget he’s appalling performances last season. 

That’s obviously not true though, is it. I think most Saints fans would agree Baz wasn’t up to it in the PL last season, but we’re not in that league now. I think he’ll do a decent job at this level and many people agree, including those running the club. This argument seems to have come from those insisting that we get rid of him, that we’ve definitely got the worst keepers in the Championship and that we certainly won’t get promoted with him in goal.

Certain posters keep banging on about some meaningless stat which would literally have been better if Plymouth had hit three daisy cutters at Baz from 30 yards out and a goal we might have conceded, if a striker hadn’t been offside.

• Like 2

Last year was a recipe for disaster for any young player trying to develop. 

Played under 3 managers with 3 contrasting styles - all of which weren't that effective.

For Baz he had a continually changing, largely inexperienced backine infront of him. The one thing that stood out to me was the quality of chances we would conceded. I always remember Brentford away where the goals were conceded largely unchallenged, and deep into the penalty area. Horrific for any GK's confidence, yet alone a 19 year old.

That being said, he of course made quite a few mistakes and really struggled for form from Jones onwards. The thing is, the mistakes are to be expected of young players. It's part of the gamble. It just so happened that because of our position, every mistake carried huge stakes.

All in all, he didn't play well for large stretches - but the environment he stepped into was not at all conducive for a young GK. 

There have been signs of improvements this season (he seems a bit more confident etc), but also signs of the same brittle defence in front of him. We seem to concede a lot of chances, and a core of Bednarek / Stephens doesn't fill me with optimism. Hopefully a CB arriving and more time for RM to implement his style will ease some of those issues.

• Like 2

I'm not going to pretend I understand stats, but apparently there were positive stats that other clubs understand, and his scouting advised he didn't play as a number 1 keeper last season, but the team did it anyway 

Apparently goalkeeping improves with age at a different timeline to other positions, and he is doing well, above and beyond where he should be at.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu