Glastonbury 2023

AlexLaw76

11 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Dreadful headline musical acts this year.

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Hardly 

Yet you have gone to the trouble to tell us all that the headline musical acts this year are dreadful. 

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

They are, tbf.

Yep. Some cracking other performances though. Two Door Cinema Club brilliant, as were Fontaines DC, Idles, LCD sound system amongst others.

2 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

I'm not a fan of all their music but Idles were fucking epic. It was nuts.

Yep, them too. They've knocked out some cracking tracks to be fair. Looking forward to The National later, brilliant live band. 

18 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

I'm not a fan of all their music but Idles were fucking epic. It was nuts.

Agree with this. I don’t really like a lot of their music but they’ve really honed their show really well. Highly entertaining.

Hardly anyone gets in for free these days, it's very hard. 

Been some good stuff on the red button but overall a comparatively weak line up this year on the main stages.

Little Simz was superb, as were Lankum. The Orbital set looked like a giant party and bringing Mel C out was a fun moment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Yea I do know how it works. There are plenty of other attractions there if you don’t want to go to the pyramid stage. If they are “making the most of it” then they certainly seem to be having a good time. Nice of you to go in to bat for Batman though, who clearly isn’t.

Not sure you do know how it works.

Over 200,000 people there, means there will be 'tens of thousands' of people 'packed in watching them' for pretty much every stage.

There is also likely to be 'tens of thousands' of people needing to take a piss at any given time as well.

10 hours ago, egg said:

Yep. Some cracking other performances though. Two Door Cinema Club brilliant, as were Fontaines DC, Idles, LCD sound system amongst others.

Just watched their set on iplayer. So good. (They should have been playing in the dark though)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Something called SZA headlined last night.

🙃

Didn't go well apparently. Smallest crowd ever for a headliner, and thousands of them drifted away.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ck5g74jr59eo

Anyone who didn't catch Idles, I recommend watching it. Their music ain't really my thing, but I've never seen a better live performance. Absolutely immense. 

54 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

🙃

She was bumped up to headline from the Other stage because their 3rd headliner fell through (was meant to be Stevie Wonder)

She is very famous tbf. 20 million followers on Instagram which is, for example, 10 times more than Liam Gallagher.

Not that social media followers is the definitive metric to judge someone's fame but it gives you a reasonable idea.

24 minutes ago, egg said:

Didn't go well apparently. Smallest crowd ever for a headliner, and thousands of them drifted away.

Anyone who didn't catch Idles, I recommend watching it. Their music ain't really my thing, but I've never seen a better live performance. Absolutely immense. 

The site was unusually empty by yesterday evening, none of the headliners had very big crowds judging by reports from a lot of people I know on site.

Plenty of regular attendees saying they have never seen it like that on a Sunday before.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Dreadful headline musical acts this year.

14 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

And yet tens of thousands of people are packed in watching them?

14 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You know how Glastonbury works right?

200k+ tickets are sold BEFORE pretty much all acts are confirmed, let alone the headline acts.

The captive audience really don't have many other options having spent several hundred quid to attend the festival. Might as well make the most of it when they're there.

12 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Yea I do know how it works. There are plenty of other attractions there if you don’t want to go to the pyramid stage. If they are “making the most of it” then they certainly seem to be having a good time. Nice of you to go in to bat for Batman though, who clearly isn’t.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not sure you do know how it works.

Over 200,000 people there, means there will be 'tens of thousands' of people 'packed in watching them' for pretty much every stage.

There is also likely to be 'tens of thousands' of people needing to take a piss at any given time as well.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

🙃

34 minutes ago, egg said:

So, just to clarify then.... the number of people watching the headliner concert *does* vary depending on their popularity, rather than it being at capacity each time just because there's a "captive audience" already on site....? ;)

Edited by trousers

34 minutes ago, trousers said:

So, just to clarify then.... the number of people watching the headliner concert *does* vary depending on their popularity, rather than it being at capacity each time just because there's a "captive audience" already on site....? ;)

So, just to clarify then, there were still "tens of thousands" of people watching SZA despite the fact it wasn't a great act?

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So, just to clarify then, there were still "tens of thousands" of people watching SZA despite the fact it wasn't a great act?

Any reason why you missed off the "that were packed in" bit, which was part of the original quote... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Any reason why you missed off the "that were packed in" bit, which was part of the original quote... ;)

They seemed to be “packed” on Friday and Saturday night.

46 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Batman’s point was that there were thousands in the Pyramid audience because it is a captive audience. He seemed oblivious to the point that people can and do watch other acts playing elsewhere at the same time.

The space for the audience capacity at the Pyramid stage had been increased this year.

31 minutes ago, trousers said:

Because "tens of thousands" of people are unlikely to be "packed in" to an outdoor arena, no matter what the original quote stated.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because "tens of thousands" of people are unlikely to be "packed in" to an outdoor arena, no matter what the original quote stated.

Have you ever been to an outdoor concert? I have been to concerts at Charlton, QPR, Wembley and Glastonbury where “tens of thousands” of people have been “packed in.”

Did you see the size of the crowd for Coldplay on Saturday night?

Perhaps you need to get out more instead of sitting in a darkened room trolling on the internet?

• Haha 2

I went to a concert at Twickenham where Avenged Sevenfold were the main support act, and once they had finished a load of their teenage fans left before the main act came onstage.

10 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why wasn’t he there, couldn’t  he find the stage? 

The world has moved on since the 70’s Duckie. Time to catch up. No one laughs at Bernard Manning jokes  anymore.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Have you ever been to an outdoor concert? I have been to concerts at Charlton, QPR, Wembley and Glastonbury where “tens of thousands” of people have been “packed in.”

Did you see the size of the crowd for Coldplay on Saturday night?

Perhaps you need to get out more instead of sitting in a darkened room trolling on the internet?

Not really sure what you're arguing about.

At no point have I said the crowds were small. I know you get confused easily, but I've specifically said there will always be tens of thousands of people at Glastonbury in front of the major stages given that over 200k people attend and they've literally got nowhere else to go for the entire weekend.

Concerts at QPR, Charlton and Wembley aren't technically "outside" given the existence of the walls and doors. The fact that they don't have a roof probably suggests "open air" rather than outside. Outside will be things like the park where you always manage to bump into someone with the exact same opinions as you...

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The world has moved on since the 70’s Duckie. 

Yeah, now festivals are full of middle class tossers thinking they’re edgy. I reckon Little Stevie had a result avoiding that pretentious pony. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

At no point have I said the crowds were small. I know you get confused easily, but I've specifically said there will always be tens of thousands of people at Glastonbury in front of the major stages given that over 200k people attend and they've literally got nowhere else to go for the entire weekend.

Concerts at QPR, Charlton and Wembley aren't technically "outside" given the existence of the walls and doors. The fact that they don't have a roof probably suggests "open air" rather than outside. Outside will be things like the park where you always manage to bump into someone with the exact same opinions as you...

Glastonbury doesn’t have walls and doors? I didn’t realise you could just wander in like a park or I would gone more often.

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

Glastonbury doesn’t have walls and doors? I didn’t realise you could just wander in like a park or I would gone more often.

No.  It has fences and gates and bigger, wider, more open spaces than nearly every park in the country.

You really are a senile bell end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Brendan O’Neil pretty much summed it up. No surprise you’re fully signed up, “tosser class” indeed. 

“ I can think of no better insight into the cant of the tosser class than the fact they seem to think their annual five-day party in the mud deserves better protection than the nation itself. That they accord more moral weight to their right to listen to LCD Soundsystem than they do to Britain’s right to exercise sovereign dominion over its borders. ‘How dare those Tory scum try to stop the boats?!’, they no doubt mumble over a Camden Hells in the Avalon Inn while not a hundred metres away some security bruiser in a hi-vis vest is barking into a walkie-talkie: ‘Security breach on Fence 4!’

“Then there was Ros Atkins of the BBC djing on the Stonebridge Bar stage. Honestly, it was like a mid-life crisis put to music. He even played a drum’n’bass version of the BBC News theme tune. If that sounds like the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever heard of, that’s because it was. The sight of fortysomething Glasto people waving banners emblazoned with the letters ‘BBC’ as they jived to the music that kicks off every BBC news bulletin was borderline surreal. From dancing topless to the Kinks in 1970 to worshipping the state broadcaster as some kind of sun god of truth in 2024 – ladies and gentleman, Britain’s middle class.”

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Brendan O’Neil pretty much summed it up. No surprise you’re fully signed up, “tosser class” indeed. 

“ I can think of no better insight into the cant of the tosser class than the fact they seem to think their annual five-day party in the mud deserves better protection than the nation itself. That they accord more moral weight to their right to listen to LCD Soundsystem than they do to Britain’s right to exercise sovereign dominion over its borders. ‘How dare those Tory scum try to stop the boats?!’, they no doubt mumble over a Camden Hells in the Avalon Inn while not a hundred metres away some security bruiser in a hi-vis vest is barking into a walkie-talkie: ‘Security breach on Fence 4!’

“Then there was Ros Atkins of the BBC djing on the Stonebridge Bar stage. Honestly, it was like a mid-life crisis put to music. He even played a drum’n’bass version of the BBC News theme tune. If that sounds like the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever heard of, that’s because it was. The sight of fortysomething Glasto people waving banners emblazoned with the letters ‘BBC’ as they jived to the music that kicks off every BBC news bulletin was borderline surreal. From dancing topless to the Kinks in 1970 to worshipping the state broadcaster as some kind of sun god of truth in 2024 – ladies and gentleman, Britain’s middle class.”

Ahh so not any original thought of your own. Sad to be so impressionable after all these years. Especially given what a massive prick he is

Edited by whelk

56 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s just fucking tragic :lol: 

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

Aye the desperation of being a columnist and needing material. Embarrassing 

Not as embarrassing as a group of adults spending all day arguing on an internet forum over the crowds at a music festival. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not as embarrassing as a group of adults spending all day arguing on an internet forum over the crowds at a music festival. 

Yeah I did think is there nothing that won’t cause an argument here

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

No.  It has fences and gates and bigger, wider, more open spaces than nearly every park in the country.

You really are a senile bell end.

Ok, so it has fences and doors (of course it does) so how do people just wander in like a park? 
I mentioned outdoor concerts where tens of thousands of people were packed in. So you agree that it happens?

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Confused 1

On 01/07/2024 at 10:06, Weston Super Saint said:

You said that tens of thousands of people were unlikely to be “packed in” to an outdoor arena (see above if you have forgotten). I gave examples of where tens of thousands were “packed in” to outdoor arenas.  You seem to struggle with the concept so perhaps you are the one having issues with senility?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 01/07/2024 at 17:32, Lord Duckhunter said:

This sums you up perfectly Duckie. I bet you are a right bundle of laughs down the local ale house. Tosser class or 70’s racist, misogynist, homophobe, xenophobe, Islamophobe???  I’m happy that I don’t share your opinions thanks. Perhaps next time try and use your own words, as much as you struggle with anything other than Anglo-Saxon.

I’d never heard of this bloke before but it appears he was a screaming pinko Trotskyist, an odd bedfellow for you apart from he seems to have turned into Farrageist Gammon nowadays.

Edited by sadoldgit

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Give it a rest FFS

I don't even know what the argument is about. Seems to have fuck all to do with Glastonbury. On that, the Mrs had Coldplay's set on when I came home yesterday. Not my thing, but they put on a cracking show.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2024 at 13:38, Weston Super Saint said:

1 minute ago, egg said:

I don't even know what the argument is about. Seems to have fuck all to do with Glastonbury. On that, the Mrs had Coldplay's set on when I came home yesterday. Not my thing, but they put on a cracking show.

Snap!  Contrary for contrary's sake it seems.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, egg said:

He posted then obviously didn’t get the reaction he wanted so came back an hour later posted again then posted after duckhunter banging on about pinkos and Farage again. There has been some pointless arguments on here but this is something particularly pathetic 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1