Israel

egg

32 minutes ago, whelk said:

You put a lot of effort into that post you silly old cunt

Being an antisemitic fossil yet calling out bigotry on the internet every single day takes a solid investment of energy tbf.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, whelk said:

You put a lot of effort into that post you silly old cunt

Perhaps you should put a bit more effort into yours rather than just call people c*nts? Still, your posts appeal to those with the same mindset as you so I guess it works, eh Whelk?

31 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Perhaps you should put a bit more effort into yours rather than just call people c*nts? Still, your posts appeal to those with the same mindset as you so I guess it works, eh Whelk?

Whereas your posts appeal to those who consider it acceptable to call someone a rape apologist, fascist etc. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

If Israel is responsible for this then I applaud their ingenuity;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd7xnelvpepo

"The Iran-backed Lebanese armed group Hezbollah says two of its fighters and a girl have been killed after handheld pagers used to communicate exploded."

Nabbed hundreds of them apparently. Like something out of a James bond film. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They seem to be finding ingenious ways of killing off anti semitic enemies of Isreal. If I was Soggy I’d forget about upgrading my phone for a while. 

Similar things have been around for a while. I used to work at Borden chemicals in North Baddesley in the late 1980s. One day in a chat with one of the chemists about jobs he said he used to work on 'M' type projects in the days long before mobiles. One surprise and delight project was explosives and a steel spike in the earpiece of the old wired phones. You'd call up, say hello is that Mr X, when they said 'yes' press a button and kaboom. Im guessing he was talking about the 1970s. He never knew if they used it operationally or not.        

49 minutes ago, whelk said:

Are there any Hezbollah left to launch a revenge attack. Are they using ravens to coordinate?

It'll clipped their wings a bit that's for sure, and they won't be reproducing too easily after those pagers on their belts blew up. 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They seem to be finding ingenious ways of killing off anti semitic enemies of Isreal. If I was Soggy I’d forget about upgrading my phone for a while. 

You should worry too. They don’t seem to be bothered about who gets killed, as usual. Are you happy about the ever more likely prospect of us being dragged into a war in the Middle East?

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Ingenious way of destroying the next generation of terrorist. 

Yep, it's proper spy novel stuff on a massive scale. Pager in a deep trouser pocket wouldn't have tickled. 

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You should worry too. They don’t seem to be bothered about who gets killed, as usual. Are you happy about the ever more likely prospect of us being dragged into a war in the Middle East?

So you are mourning the death of terrorists? The message is fuck with Israel at your peril

Bit of conflation there SoG. There'll be collateral damage from this, but it's pretty obvious that the targets were Hezbollah operatives. We ain't getting dragged into this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

Bit of conflation there SoG. There'll be collateral damage from this, but it's pretty obvious that the targets were Hezbollah operatives. We ain't getting dragged into this. 

Not exactly crime of the century is it?

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, egg said:

12 dead yesterday now including 2 children and 4 aid workers.

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

Unfortunate, yes, but war, even a pseudo-war, is never 'clean'. Innocents and non-combatants will always get caught up, and that is without bringing in the ( potentially false ) equivalence of the hundreds of civilian deaths in the October 7th attacks .

I know, I read the news. The targets were Hezbollah ops, that's obvious, and this kind of attack is a hell of a lot more targeted than bombing a packed building to get one or two people. 

The bigger question is will the action make a major conflict more or less likely? As for the targeting, a 50% kill rate sounds just as random in racking up “collateral damage” as shelling packed buildings.

Duckie was almost right, but should have said that the Israelis are finding even more ingenious ways of killing other human beings, no matter who they are.

Edited by sadoldgit

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The bigger question is will the action make a major conflict more or less likely? As for the targeting, a 50% kill rate sounds just as random in racking up “collateral damage” as shelling packed buildings.

Duckie was almost right, but should have said that the Israelis are finding even more ingenious ways of killing other human beings, no matter who they are.

The 'kill rate' was not the intention, it was to incapacitate - maim, blind, etc, and the success rate at that level seems to be near 100%.

It seems that the original plan was for these weapons to be enabled as the first strike of an offensive military opeartion against Hezbollah, but there was a risk the pagers and radios were about to be exposed as having been compromised so the IDF decided to use them before they lost the chance..

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean. I've not read anything to suggest anything other than the vast majority of people harmed are the Hezbollah ops, ie the targets. If I'm wrong, post up a link. 

No idea re your first point, but a wider conflict ain't likely to include Hezbollah from Lebanon anytime soon. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Fucking hell, it’s hardly crime of the century. It’s relatively trivial compared to what’s happened in Yemen. 

40 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I've not read anything to suggest anything other than the vast majority of people harmed are the Hezbollah ops, ie the targets. If I'm wrong, post up a link. 

No idea re your first point, but a wider conflict ain't likely to include Hezbollah from Lebanon anytime soon. 

Not sure SOG grasps war.

Just now, whelk said:

Not sure SOG grasps war.

You could argue it's antisemitic to hold Israel to an absurd standard during war whereby even an operation like this which is possibly the most efficient operation in the history of warfare is criticised because of a handful of civilian casualties. As if any operation during wartime ever hasn't resulted in something like that. 

3 hours ago, egg said:

It'll clipped their wings a bit that's for sure, and they won't be reproducing too easily after those pagers on their belts blew up. 

Just wait until Mossad detonate the next one, in Shamima Begum’s vibrator.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, egg said:

I was talking about those killed. I have no idea what the percentage of those injured who weren’t operatives was but the news reports tell of people standing next to exploding devices being severely injured too.

Listening to Frank Gardner on BBC this morning describing how ordinarily Israel would have aimed this particular attack immediately before an all out confrontation, the primary goal being to disable the enemy's communications capability.  The hypothesis is that perhaps Hezbollah were on the verge of discovering the weapons and so Israel triggered them early.  What blows my mind is how they have managed to make this happen.  I've never heard of a weapon before that has the ability to personally attack the 'bad guys' without significant collateral damage.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, buctootim said:

One surprise and delight project was explosives and a steel spike in the earpiece of the old wired phones. You'd call up, say hello is that Mr X, when they said 'yes' press a button and kaboom..        

@Mr X Bro don’t answer the blower if it rings 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Commercial flights still operating in and out of Beirut, think my arse would be twitching on one of them.

I presented a technical paper to the Arab Sates Broadcasting Union in Damascus in 1981. The flight out was direct non stop on a Syrian Arab Airways 747SP which went fine.

The return was on a British Airways (?) 707 which stopped at Beirut for an hour. I was very nervous whilst we were on the ground. The flight patch was very conservative. We took off, flew a long way north, then west and out to sea, then dropped very low and flew in the last hundred miles or so at low level. Presumably this was to avoid any ground to air missiles.

The flight home was similar in that we kept very low until well offshore.

This is all getting a tad messier now that Israel have had enough of Hezbollah. I'm not sure what actual end Israel are aiming for here thou, and I'm not sure Israel do either. 

Lebanon can't reign in Hezbollah, and Iran won't stop supporting them. They won't give up. Israel won't back down. You'd hope that the west won't allow Lebanon to go the way that Gaza has.

Any idea what the end of this may look like? 

25 minutes ago, egg said:

This is all getting a tad messier now that Israel have had enough of Hezbollah. I'm not sure what actual end Israel are aiming for here thou, and I'm not sure Israel do either. 

Lebanon can't reign in Hezbollah, and Iran won't stop supporting them. They won't give up. Israel won't back down. You'd hope that the west won't allow Lebanon to go the way that Gaza has.

Any idea what the end of this may look like? 

Why should Israel back down when they are getting bombed constantly? 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Why should Israel back down when they are getting bombed constantly? 

I've asked what the end of this may look like. I'm not sure what achievable and helpful objective Israel actually has. Another unsuccessful siege of Beirut? Then what? 

9 minutes ago, egg said:

I've asked what the end of this may look like. I'm not sure what achievable and helpful objective Israel actually has. Another unsuccessful siege of Beirut? Then what? 

They’ll go in and kill any perceived threat to their state, same as they’ve done in Gaza.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

They’ll go in and kill any perceived threat to their state, same as they’ve done in Gaza.

For sure, but that won't end it. I suspect that the answer to my question is that eventually the US will reign Israel in as per 1982, Hezbollah and Hamas will regenerate, we'll not see a 2 state solution, and the perpetual cycle of violence will continue. Not much of an ending. 

10 minutes ago, egg said:

For sure, but that won't end it. I suspect that the answer to my question is that eventually the US will reign Israel in as per 1982, Hezbollah and Hamas will regenerate, we'll not see a 2 state solution, and the perpetual cycle of violence will continue. Not much of an ending. 

It’s been perpetrated for many centuries, there’s no reason at all to think it’d end in our lifetime.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, egg said:

Sure. Not sure why you expected a different outcome. Israel will get a temporary reprieve with their recent actions against Hezbollah which was probably the goal. 

Israel are dicks! They're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And Hamas are pussies. And Hezbollah are assholes. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes - assholes who just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is that sometimes they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies get so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are only an inch and a half away from assholes. I don't know much in this crazy, crazy world, but I do know that if you don't let Israel fuck these assholes, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Israel are dicks! They're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And Hamas are pussies. And Hezbollah are assholes. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes - assholes who just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is that sometimes they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies get so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are only an inch and a half away from assholes. I don't know much in this crazy, crazy world, but I do know that if you don't let Israel fuck these assholes, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

Easily the best bit of Starmer's speech.

A man who looks as though he's an escapee from a Gerry Anderson show.

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I first watched that film on a night flight back from NYC and was trying desperately not to laugh out loud….

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Sure. Not sure why you expected a different outcome. Israel will get a temporary reprieve with their recent actions against Hezbollah which was probably the goal. 

Depends who you listen to but US have said Hezbollah has been set back 20 years by recent attacks. Many here think hearts and minds is key but clear to all if Israel have a chance to neuter their enemy they will. Maybe all the terrified Lebanese might want to blame Hezbollah for shooting rockets at an enemy you know is going to respond and then some? 

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

Depends who you listen to but US have said Hezbollah has been set back 20 years by recent attacks. Many here think hearts and minds is key but clear to all if Israel have a chance to neuter their enemy they will. Maybe all the terrified Lebanese might want to blame Hezbollah for shooting rockets at an enemy you know is going to respond and then some? 

I bet there's loads of potential recruits who will now think twice about associating with Hezbollah. You'll never know what piece of electronic equipment is liable to explode and destroy your bollocks.