Israel

egg

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Just for balance, and again stating the blindingly obvious;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1vdz75g6dvo

Human Rights Watch say HAMAS committed war crimes on October 7th.

Surely a 'war crime' can only be commited during an actual war.  I guess they are classing the attack on Israel as a declaration of war?

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Surely a 'war crime' can only be commited during an actual war.  I guess they are classing the attack on Israel as a declaration of war?

If the Palestinian territories are not a 'proper' country then can they actually declare war ?

15 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Yes I did. So what? Whelk was the one making an issue about it.

Whelk's point was that you were simply posting links, generally from the Guardian or Haaretz, critical of Israel, but without any annotation on your part. If, as you claimed, this was so that they could be discussed, I would expect you to be part of those discussions, rather than an imitation of GM, posting links from news outlets looking for a bite - although at least you are posting links to the original articles rather than cutting and pasting selected text and inferring it is original thought.

My post was a light hearted dig making the same point.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

Plenty of people post articles and do not comment. Most if not all are self explanatory. If I post an article pertinent to the topic of the thread, why do I necessarily always have to also post a comment about the article? This is getting a bit silly isn’t it?

The article I posted concerned the tightening of Israel’s grip on Gaza. I didn’t consider that it required any further comment from me but it is clearly pertinent to the discussions here.

Given a number of people here would prefer if I didn’t comment, I was doing them a favour wasn’t I? 😉

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Whelk's point was that you were simply posting links, generally from the Guardian or Haaretz, critical of Israel, but without any annotation on your part. If, as you claimed, this was so that they could be discussed, I would expect you to be part of those discussions, rather than an imitation of GM, posting links from news outlets looking for a bite - although at least you are posting links to the original articles rather than cutting and pasting selected text and inferring it is original thought.

My post was a light hearted dig making the same point.

Exactly. He was not so carefree before he stumped up his fiver

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Yes I did. So what? Whelk was the one making an issue about it.

Not an issue just commenting how pointless it was, although the narcissist in you assumed it was because it was you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Plenty of people post articles and do not comment. Most if not all are self explanatory. If I post an article pertinent to the topic of the thread, why do I necessarily always have to also post a comment about the article? This is getting a bit silly isn’t it?

The article I posted concerned the tightening of Israel’s grip on Gaza. I didn’t consider that it required any further comment from me but it is clearly pertinent to the discussions here.

Given a number of people here would prefer if I didn’t comment, I was doing them a favour wasn’t I? 😉

There is nothing to stop a thread ending up as a series of posted tit-for-tat links, supporting contrasting sides of an issue, without any annotation or opinion.

Kind of destroys the concept of holding a discussion though.

18 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

There is nothing to stop a thread ending up as a series of posted tit-for-tat links, supporting contrasting sides of an issue, without any annotation or opinion.

Kind of destroys the concept of holding a discussion though.

I really don’t think that the odd link to a pertinent story is going to cause problems for the thread. I think that the purile use of laughing emojis is a bigger issue, but we all have our own opinions. If someone else had posted the link without comment I doubt if it would have attracted any attention, but there we are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 23/07/2024 at 13:15, sadoldgit said:

I really don’t think that the odd link to a pertinent story is going to cause problems for the thread. I think that the purile use of laughing emojis is a bigger issue, but we all have our own opinions. If someone else had posted the link without comment I doubt if it would have attracted any attention, but there we are.

spoken like a true narcissist. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Further unhelpful escalation in an already fraught situation.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/israel-says-it-has-struck-hezbollah-targets-deep-inside-lebanon-13186094

Netanyahu’s   hypocrisy over the death of innocent children comes as no surprise.

Why didn’t you post a link to the story about the attack on Israel before this?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why didn’t you post a link to the story about the attack on Israel before this?

There’ll no doubt be a token acknowledgement that no death shoudl be celebrated but what do Israel expect provoking Hezbollah/Iran?  Will express surprise and condemnation at Israel’s undoubted reaction and muse that war is bad and why aren’t they negotiating

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

Can’t kill an idea eh but good old Mossad will wipe out your leaders. Tough morning for SOG

https://news.sky.com/story/israel-hamas-gaza-latest-ceasefire-biden-announcement-sky-news-live-blog-12978800

Audacious from Mossad, but a proper show of strength. Apparently this fella was the pragmatic one, at least by Hamas standards, and trying to find peaceful solutions. 

The missile into the Golan at the weekend. An assassination at home in Iran. An attack on a residential area yesterday on Beirut. Christ knows where this is going. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Audacious from Mossad, but a proper show of strength. Apparently this fella was the pragmatic one, at least by Hamas standards, and trying to find peaceful solutions. 

The missile into the Golan at the weekend. An assassination at home in Iran. An attack on a residential area yesterday on Beirut. Christ knows where this is going. 

Yeah properly peaceful he was. One more terrorist scumbag under rubble. Well done Mossad. 

43 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah properly peaceful he was. One more terrorist scumbag under rubble. Well done Mossad. 

Pragmatic by Hamas standards, trying to find peaceful solutions. Not peaceful. 

I'm not sure who out of Israel and Iran wants a wider conflict the most. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, egg said:

Pragmatic by Hamas standards, trying to find peaceful solutions. Not peaceful. 

I'm not sure who out of Israel and Iran wants a wider conflict the most. 

Killing the person trying to broker a deal looks like a suspicious move.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Killing the person trying to broker a deal looks like a suspicious move.

It's not a white flag, that's for sure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, egg said:

It's not a white flag, that's for sure. 

Don’t expect any white flags from Israel when it comes to Hamas leadership and Iran. They are all marked for ever

• Like 1

On 03/08/2024 at 14:51, Baird of the land said:

US wants to avoid a regional conflict apparently, so its sending a bunch of warships and fighter jets into the region. Maybe they should rebrand them peaceships and deescalation jets.

Here's what is happening / may be about to happen.

- Iran is potentially days away from having a nuclear weapon.

- Iran does not fight using its own people. It uses terrorist groups, extremist groups, rogue actors etc. Iran is more likely than many other countries to allow a nuke to be set off somewhere without having to do it itself.

- If Iran gets nukes, Saudi can, and will, call 19 nuclear warheads from Pakistan. They have a treaty.

- Israel does not want Iran and Saudi to have nukes.

- US does not want Iran to have nukes.

- Israel just took out a senior person in Tehran, in an IRGC safehouse, using an undercover Mossad team. This is a huge problem for the Ayatollahs.

- Iran will react to this.

- Israel will probably respond by bombing Iran's nuclear plants.

At that point, the world should be pretty glad if US forces are hanging around stopping all out war.

A long, informed, opinion piece that I found gave an interesting perspective. Yes, it is the Grauniad, and yes it is long so some may well respond "TLDR", but it is there if you are interested. Approach with an open mind or a closed one, it's your choice;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/13/israel-gaza-historian-omer-bartov

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

A long, informed, opinion piece that I found gave an interesting perspective. Yes, it is the Grauniad, and yes it is long so some may well respond "TLDR", but it is there if you are interested. Approach with an open mind or a closed one, it's your choice;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/13/israel-gaza-historian-omer-bartov

Thanks for posting that. Lots in there, and the views of an Israeli, with family in Israel, and who's been in the IDF, are views that count. Too many take away comments, but this passage tells me what is pretty obvious from the outside - Israel are past the point of interest in any political view, and that Palestinian lives are cheap and  dispensable.

"The sentiment that now prevails in Israel similarly threatens to make war into its own end. In this view, politics is an obstacle to achieving goals rather than a means to limit destruction. This is a view that can only ultimately lead to self-annihilation.

The second reigning sentiment – or rather lack of sentiment – is the flipside of the first. It is the utter inability of Israeli society today to feel any empathy for the population of Gaza. The majority, it seems, do not even want to know what is happening in Gaza, and this desire is reflected in TV coverage. Israeli television news these days usually begins with reports on the funerals of soldiers, invariably described as heroes, fallen in the fighting in Gaza, followed by estimates of how many Hamas fighters were “liquidated”. References to Palestinian civilian deaths are rare and normally presented as part of enemy propaganda or as a cause for unwelcome international pressure. In the face of so much death, this deafening silence now seems like its own form of vengefulness".

And another idiot has joined the laughing gang it seems. 

British foreign officer resigns over arms exports to Israel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyvpm1049d9o

Mr Smith said he had previously worked in Middle East arms export licensing assessment for the government and “each day” colleagues were witnessing “clear and unquestionable examples” of war crimes and breaches of international humanitarian law by Israel in Gaza.

“Senior members of the Israeli government and military have expressed open genocidal intent, Israeli soldiers take videos deliberately burning, destroying and looting civilian property,” he wrote.

“Whole streets and universities have been demolished, humanitarian aid is being blocked and civilians are regularly left with no safe quarter to flee to. Red Crescent ambulances have been attacked, schools and hospitals are regularly targeted. These are War Crimes.”

He said there was “no justification for the UK's continued arms sales to Israel”.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, inspectorfrost said:

British foreign officer resigns over arms exports to Israel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyvpm1049d9o

Mr Smith said he had previously worked in Middle East arms export licensing assessment for the government and “each day” colleagues were witnessing “clear and unquestionable examples” of war crimes and breaches of international humanitarian law by Israel in Gaza.

“Senior members of the Israeli government and military have expressed open genocidal intent, Israeli soldiers take videos deliberately burning, destroying and looting civilian property,” he wrote.

“Whole streets and universities have been demolished, humanitarian aid is being blocked and civilians are regularly left with no safe quarter to flee to. Red Crescent ambulances have been attacked, schools and hospitals are regularly targeted. These are War Crimes.”

He said there was “no justification for the UK's continued arms sales to Israel”.

Mr Smith is a good lad. Not many people put their principles before their careers. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, whelk said:

Anyone getting bothered about this? Enough to protest in London surely as they hate injustices and innocents being slaughtered?

https://news.sky.com/story/sudan-war-they-started-killing-people-in-the-streets-13210692

Now now, don’t be facetious. People are just as outraged as they were about the Saudis bombing Yemen, possibly more.

This thread is about Israel and the current conflict in Gaza and the West Bank is it not? It is possible to have feelings about a subject without starting a thread about it here. I expect many here are concerned about the level of knife crime in this country too. It doesn’t make it any less of an issue because there isn’t a thread about it here.
But then you and Whelk know that don’t you?

As for the comment “they hate injustices and innocents being slaughtered,” the word “they” seems to indicate that the writer does not have a problem with injustices and innocents being slaughtered. No surprise given his previous post where he made it clear that everyone in Gaza killed by the IDF are fair game.

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

This thread is about Israel and the current conflict in Gaza and the West Bank is it not? It is possible to have feelings about a subject without starting a thread about it here. I expect many here are concerned about the level of knife crime in this country too. It doesn’t make it any less of an issue because there isn’t a thread about it here.
But then you and Whelk know that don’t you?

As for the comment “they hate injustices and innocents being slaughtered,” the word “they” seems to indicate that the writer does not have a problem with injustices and innocents being slaughtered. No surprise given his previous post where he made it clear that everyone in Gaza killed by the IDF are fair game.

‘They’ being the self-righteous anti-semites.  Arabs killing blacks? Who gives a fuck? 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

‘They’ being the self-righteous anti-semites.  Arabs killing blacks? Who gives a fuck? 

I don’t know but I am interested to know just how much concern we can show towards the innocent people killed and injustices performed against them in the other parts of the world before you think it is ok for us to post about our concerns about what is happening in Gaza and the West Bank here.

If you are so concerned about “Arabs killing blacks” perhaps you would like to start a thread here? No? I thought not.

I don’t think that we have a thread here about the level of knife crime in the UK. Do you honestly believe that no ones cares about it?

Talking about “self- righteous anti-Semites” how do you feel about self righteous Islamophobes?

The UN seems to be full of what you call “self-righteous anti-Semites,” how do you feel about that?

Be honest. Your issue is that you hate Muslims and are upset that some people look past their religion and just see ordinary people being killed, mutilated and displaced, just as happened in 7th October. 

The only good Muslim is a dead Muslim eh Whelk? You have made it perfectly clear here that you are ok with the ordinary citizens in Gaza and the West Bank paying the price for what Hamas did. Your attempt at deflection hasn’t worked (again). Neither does your pathetic attempt to label those who criticise the actions of Netanyahu, his government and the IDF as anti-Semitic. There is absolutely nothing “self-righteous” either about being concerned about a genocide happening before our eyes. Would you have said the same about those posting against the ethnic cleansing during the Balkans conflict?

You wanted a reaction. You got one, but all you have managed to do is to show how little you care about one group of humanity (again).

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t know but I am interested to know just how much concern we can show towards the innocent people killed and injustices performed against them in the other parts of the world before you think it is ok for us to post about our concerns about what is happening in Gaza and the West Bank here.

If you are so concerned about “Arabs killing blacks” perhaps you would like to start a thread here? No? I thought not.

I don’t think that we have a thread here about the level of knife crime in the UK. Do you honestly believe that no ones cares about it?

Talking about “self- righteous anti-Semites” how do you feel about self righteous Islamophobes?

The UN seems to be full of what you call “self-righteous anti-Semites,” how do you feel about that?

Be honest. Your issue is that you hate Muslims and are upset that some people look past their religion and just see ordinary people being killed, mutilated and displaced, just as happened in 7th October. 

The only good Muslim is a dead Muslim eh Whelk? You have made it perfectly clear here that you are ok with the ordinary citizens in Gaza and the West Bank paying the price for what Hamas did. Your attempt at deflection hasn’t worked (again). Neither does your pathetic attempt to label those who criticise the actions of Netanyahu, his government and the IDF as anti-Semitic. There is absolutely nothing “self-righteous” either about being concerned about a genocide happening before our eyes. Would you have said the same about those posting against the ethnic cleansing during the Balkans conflict?

You wanted a reaction. You got one, but all you have managed to do is to show how little you care about one group of humanity (again).

You put a lot of effort into that post you silly old cunt

• Haha 3