Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

You are what you are. That's what you are. πŸ™‚

And yet in reality, most people are what they think other people think they are… 😊πŸͺžπŸͺž

(Apologies, this is a bit deep for this hour of a Saturday)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Wonder if RM watched what a great job Italy just did on France.Β 

From being the most disappointing team at the Euros to an excellent demonstration from Luciano Spalletti of next generation football tactics.Β 

Im certain this matchΒ would have given Russ food for thought versus a full strength France team, at home. Italy, despite conceding yet another early goal ( 13seconds) won 1-3 and it could and probably should have been more. With players most of you have never heard of - though Tonali and Arsenals new boy Calafiori were excellent tbf.Β 
Β 

Italy played a kind of 3511 against one of the scariest teams in World Football - Mbappe & friends - and made them look impotent. I think it’s VERY well adapted to Saints and this season in the EPL. You get a chance watch the match. I’m sure Russell and his coaches will be studying it because it was a Masterclass.Β 
Β 

PS. Good article by the ever Italy enthused James Horncastle on the match and tactics in The Athletic if you’ve access.Β 
Β 

PPS: reason I’m even commenting on it is that Italy were so disappointing at Euros - bit like our start Β but - Spalletti did not get the sack and, well, his generally unheralded players gave him a result and a performance that’s incredible - Italy had not won in France since Julius Caesar times don’t think πŸ˜‚. Of course it’s only Match Day one Nations League bollix - but it was France in France and that’s always going to be tough.
Β 

So there’s hope for Saints yet!πŸ˜‡

image.thumb.png.4abe8bbf076624084330cde92fe40121.png

Was it tip tap possession football playing out from the back? If not Russ won't be interested.

11 hours ago, Elmore Saint said:

And yet in reality, most people are what they think other people think they are… 😊πŸͺžπŸͺž

(Apologies, this is a bit deep for this hour of a Saturday)

If people think they are what other people think they are then they are not who they think they should be but who they think they should be is not who they really are. This is why they are unhappy being who they really are.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

On a separate note, the opportunity to vote for goal of the month is in:

/www.premierleague.com/awards/goal-of-the-month/2024-25/augustΒ 

Most of them are someone kicks the ball hard. In that case Bowen wins.

There's the bloke from City who ran with it a bit, probably 2nd or that could the Chelsea lad whose quick-thinking got him the goal. Ours is actually the best but what they've done is cut a few seconds off ours so that it doesn't look as good so I think they're massaging the outcome. They should have taken it from when Lallana passed to Dibling and then you can see his very Le-Tissier-esque pass to Lallana for the knockdown. It's also quite obvious Lallana's legs won't last long; he looks a bit brittle.Β 

13 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If people think they are what other people think they are then they are not who they think they should be but who they think they should be is not who they really are. This is why they are unhappy being who they really are.

I see Charlie’s therapist is using the account today.Β 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You're not actually Charlie Wayman, are you?

• Haha 3

"Well no one can name anyone better"

"No one can suggest anyone"

"OK, who else is there"

Β 

LEE CARSLEY

LEE FUCKING CARSLEY

INVINCIBLEΒ 

UNBEATABLEΒ 

HE WILL NEVER EVER SING THAT "THE SAINTS ARE COMING, THE SAINTS ARE COMING" SONG BEFORE A GAME

UNSTOPPABLEΒ 

Β 

LEE CARSLEY.

Β 

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

"Well no one can name anyone better"

"No one can suggest anyone"

"OK, who else is there"

Β 

LEE CARSLEY

LEE FUCKING CARSLEY

INVINCIBLEΒ 

UNBEATABLEΒ 

HE WILL NEVER EVER SING THAT "THE SAINTS ARE COMING, THE SAINTS ARE COMING" SONG BEFORE A GAME

UNSTOPPABLEΒ 

Β 

LEE CARSLEY.

Β 

Has the added bonus that when he does badly. Lee Arsely rolls right off the tongue. If it's the entire team you're blaming then you can say that performance was a Lee Farcely.Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another 4th league defeat on the spin, another couple of goals conceded, captain untouchable starting.

All shaping up to be one of those teams who spend over Β£100m on loads of players and get comfortably relegated.

Β 

Martin is out of his depth, lets hope the board act soon

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Downes, Fernandes, Lesley, DiblingΒ 

How many of those are proven PL players? Downes has been poor this season, Fernandes has played less than 90 minutes, Lesley has hardly played in the PL and Dibling looks good, but had his first start today.Β 

Not sure how you can say any of them are PL players.Β 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Stick with Martin - 100%

Bring in an experienced Director of football - 100%Β 

Do you think he’d listen or accept advice from a DoF ?

Not intended as a slight on RM but many modern managers wouldn’t.

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

Martin is very clear on his vision on how he wants his teams to play. He should stand or fall on that outlook. A DoF is not going to change that. And to be honest, I wouldn;t want them to.

We went through a rubbish period when Ralph's tactics were tinkered with (after a similarly dismal spell before that). I'd rather he stays or goes based on his outlook, not given time on something that prolongs it needlessly.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Badger said:

Every single manager in the country, over the last couple of years has come under this "has no plan b" critisism. I've heard of it literally everyone including Pep and Klopp. Every single manager has their way of doing things and none of them are going to change it.

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Downes, Fernandes, Lesley, DiblingΒ 

I'd add Sugawara and Bella-Kotchap to that. Bednarek is adequate for bottom half too I think. Problem is none of our strikers seem good enough although I'm not sure they're being utlised optimally either.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Every single manager in the country, over the last couple of years has come under this "has no plan b" critisism. I've heard of it literally everyone including Pep and Klopp. Every single manager has their way of doing things and none of them are going to change it.

The greater concern is when β€˜Plan A’ doesn’t work.Β 

• Like 2

Trouble is, his Plan A is shyte

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Stick with Martin - 100%

Bring in an experienced Director of football - 100%Β 

How will that help? A DoF wouldn't (or shouldn't) coach the team, pick the team, sort in game tactical changes and subs, make sure we have a nominated penalty taker, etc. That's all stuff for the manager.Β 

• Like 2

Which is OK when you have the budget and squad for that plan A. When what you have available/transfer budget doesn’t fit plan A, adaption and pragmatism is needed, or the change will be the manager. The task now is to get the team defending and attacking as a unit before the Ipswich game otherwise SR will be making another change one suspects.Β 

Just now, Gloucester Saint said:

Which is OK when you have the budget and squad for that plan A. When what you have available/transfer budget doesn’t fit plan A, adaption and pragmatism is needed, or the change will be the manager. The task now is to get the team defending and attacking as a unit before the Ipswich game otherwise SR will be making another change one suspects.Β 

Absolutely. A decent manager plays to the abilities of his players. These players are expected to play to the ideology of their manager, but he's not equipped to coach to that ideology, and they're not equipped to play to it. He's hanging his players out to dry every week.Β 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, egg said:

How will that help? A DoF wouldn't (or shouldn't) coach the team, pick the team, sort in game tactical changes and subs, make sure we have a nominated penalty taker, etc. That's all stuff for the manager.Β 

I dont disagree sir. I just look at the game today and, once again, see so much nievity in our approach. I am just proposing it as a solution to support RM as I believe he will come good in the PL but perhaps needs some support / mentorship.Β 

3 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

How many of those are proven PL players? Downes has been poor this season, Fernandes has played less than 90 minutes, Lesley has hardly played in the PL and Dibling looks good, but had his first start today.Β 

So this poll is rhetorical then.

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Β I am just proposing it as a solution to support RM as I believe he will come good in the PLΒ 

At what he's achieved in his managerial career what makes you believe he will come good in epl, not being aggy just curious because to me he's miles out of his depth and I can't see it changingΒ 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

I dont disagree sir. I just look at the game today and, once again, see so much nievity in our approach. I am just proposing it as a solution to support RM as I believe he will come good in the PL but perhaps needs some support / mentorship.Β 

Think you are on your own with that one.Β 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

In fairness to @Osvaldorama, who I’m sure can speak for themselves, you didn’t ask for proven PL players in your original question. You asked β€œβ€¦whichΒ of the players we have do you think are PL players.” Sorry to nitpick.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

At what he's achieved in his managerial career what makes you believe he will come good in epl, not being aggy just curious because to me he's miles out of his depth and I can't see it changingΒ 

Can't disagree with you and in the short term its hard to see it improving but he clearly has a vision which players appear to enjoy and I wonder if he had a wise head to steer him a little if it might get us through a bit. I believe it will come good because his intent is right but it might take another relegation unfortunately.

He got us up at the end if the day (just) and it would be good to see this through.. im not saying my suggestion is bullet proof, its just a thought over the longer term.

Β 

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

Russell Martins interviewΒ 

Interviewer: What's your analysis of that game russell?

RM: We played them off the park for 30 mins and our possession was world classΒ 

Interviewer: And the second half?Β 

RM: We were so brave so brave we just have to keep doing what we are doing and believe in itΒ 

Interviewer: It's not the ideal start though is it? No points and 8 goals against while only scoring one, any idea when it will start clicking?

RM: Football isn't always about goals or winning games surely you know that?Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Mr X
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Russell Martins interviewΒ 

Interviewer: What's your analysis of that game russell?

RM: We played them off the park for 30 mins and our possession was world classΒ 

Interviewer: And the second half?Β 

RM: We were so brave so brave we just have to keep doing what we are doing and believe in itΒ 

Interviewer: It's not the ideal start though is it? No points and 8 goals against while only scoring one, any idea when it will start clicking?

RM: Football isn't always about goals or winning games surely you know that?Β 

Β 

Β 

I hope this is satire...