Russell Martin

LegalEagle

7 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Not sure it matters but best chance with Ipswich. From what I’ve seen there’s not much to choose between the Mancs at home and the Muff away. 

True, if we can't get a result against Ipswich then things will be looking worrying.  I feel we could get a result against United but only if we ditch tippy tappy and get more aggressive and direct and Go for them from the first kick, all things Martin is adverse to 

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

True, if we can't get a result against Ipswich then things will be looking worrying.  I feel we could get a result against United but only if we ditch tippy tappy and get more aggressive and direct and Go for them from the first kick, all things Martin is adverse to 

I think If United come to us and try and aggressively press us then I don’t rate them to be organised / arsed enough to cause us the same amount of problems as Brentford did. 

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I think If United come to us and try and aggressively press us then I don’t rate them to be organised / arsed enough to cause us the same amount of problems as Brentford did. 

They'll turn us over anyway because they've got superior quality up front and we give the opposition at least two golden chances a game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

The next three games will decide RMs future in my opinion.  All three games are tough and I can easily see us finishing the month with no points on the board. 

How many points would you predict? I can't see us beating any of these sides at the moment so a couple of draws would be progress

Man united at home

Ipswich at home

Bournemouth away 

With the right starting team and a shift in tactics I think we could draw with Utd, beat Ipswich and maybe get a draw at Bournemouth which would improve things. Carry on with the same tactics and we'll likely end up with 3 more defeats even if RM changes some of his starting team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saintant said:

With the right starting team and a shift in tactics I think we could draw with Utd, beat Ipswich and maybe get a draw at Bournemouth which would improve things. Carry on with the same tactics and we'll likely end up with 3 more defeats even if RM changes some of his starting team.

I think he leaves if we lose to both Ipswich and Bournemouth. Can't see him going beyond that. It will be getting into Jones territory with the crowd. 

16 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think he leaves if we lose to both Ipswich and Bournemouth. Can't see him going beyond that. It will be getting into Jones territory with the crowd. 

The crowd hasn’t really turned yet though has it? At the last home game (Forest) it was disappointment, but no booing or obvious signs that anyone was turning on him. I think he’s currently got a lot more goodwill in the bank than that, though that may obviously change if we keep giving away these stupid goals. 

Jones was toxic pretty much from the off because the crowd was already down from the end of the Ralph regime, then Jones came in who nobody wanted and who proceeded to play shocking football and continue to lose with awful performances.

I don’t think Martin’s anywhere near that level yet, nowhere near. And rightly so. He’s generally much more popular as a bloke and he’s just won us promotion. He’s earned a lot more goodwill and the opportunity to get it right. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 10

46 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

They'll turn us over anyway because they've got superior quality up front and we give the opposition at least two golden chances a game

They’ll turn us over, because no matter how well we’ve played against them we never win.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

The next three games will decide RMs future in my opinion.  All three games are tough and I can easily see us finishing the month with no points on the board. 

How many points would you predict? I can't see us beating any of these sides at the moment so a couple of draws would be progress

Man united at home

Ipswich at home

Bournemouth away 

Yeah I think it's reasonable to assume that if we lost those three he'd be gone. 

Personally I'm not anti RM, nor am I for an indiscriminate sacking. I like possession football especially rapid passing in the opponents half leading to overloads, incisive crosses and chances to score. For me that is what football is about. My big criticism is how we play to maybe get the ball into the opponents half. For the life of me I don't understand how rotating the ball in our own penalty area into tighter areas and increasing pressure is either necessary or even sensible. Our half isn't the place to take risks.

The manager has to shelve his purist ambitions. We cannot be reliant totally on possession to the point of obsession. There needs to be an adjustment made. Can RM do it? Of course he can. He only has to see that a more pragmatic approach is necessary.  Stop the ball rotation in our penalty area. Allow Ramsdale and the centre backs to play the way they are comfortable with. That may well be getting the ball up to the forwards and through the midfield as quickly as possible. Cut out the totally unnecessary midfield on receiving the ball passing it backwards almost every time. Any danger immediately hit it as long as possible out to the wings away from the opponents central defenders and create a multi press to win it or contain it.

I want us to play within our limitations not some pie in the sky meaningless possession statistics. The aim of the game let in fewer goals than we score not the other way round as it is at the moment. Inviting a situation that pressures our defenders into making mistakes has to be avoided. 

• Like 9

For me the best way for RM to retain his job is to remember where the opposition goal is, and that the object of the game is to get that small bag of wind into that goal more times than the opposing team.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I agree it was really interesting. I'll certainly be watching to see how narrow our centre backs are going forward as it seems a lot of our problems stem from that. Also interesting how he thought that Harwood Bellis wasn't totally to blame for his poor performance and that it was receiving hospital passes from Stephens that caused a few of the problems we had. As he points out our shape is all wrong and it puts us under so much unnecessary pressure as well as giving us few options when we do get forward. 

100% agree about the hospital passes. Sometimes we are blaming the player that made the final and fatal pass, but more often than not they have been put in a position where they are now in panic mode with micro seconds to think about what to do with it.

Stephens and bedders are the main culprits who seem to quickly unload the ball and pass the responsibility to someone else.

Ironically those two players have spent some time out on loan to over clubs a couple of seasons ago, so it was obvious then that they were deemed not good enough but now they are both back in central defence.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Stephens and bedders are the main culprits who seem to quickly unload the ball and pass the responsibility to someone else.

Unfortunately, esp in the case of Stephens thats always been the case, mostly cos by the time he thinks about it the opposition have sussed out thats what hes going to do.

Of course we cant say that anymore without being accused of scapegoating him and using him as the sacrifical lamb !!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

The crowd hasn’t really turned yet though has it? At the last home game (Forest) it was disappointment, but no booing or obvious signs that anyone was turning on him. I think he’s currently got a lot more goodwill in the bank than that, though that may obviously change if we keep giving away these stupid goals. 

Jones was toxic pretty much from the off because the crowd was already down from the end of the Ralph regime, then Jones came in who nobody wanted and who proceeded to play shocking football and continue to lose with awful performances.

I don’t think Martin’s anywhere near that level yet, nowhere near. And rightly so. He’s generally much more popular as a bloke and he’s just won us promotion. He’s earned a lot more goodwill and the opportunity to get it right. 

Not sure I would agree with that. I would say the Forest game was more than a disappointment. I think you'll see a discernable shift in the goodwill should we lose at home to Ipswich. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Unfortunately, esp in the case of Stephens thats always been the case, mostly cos by the time he thinks about it the opposition have sussed out thats what hes going to do.

Of course we cant say that anymore without being accused of scapegoating him and using him as the sacrifical lamb !!

Nor can we continue to turn a blind eye. His ball watching and giving the ball away or hospital passes often under no pressure we can do without. We certainly don't have to put up with.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not sure I would agree with that. I would say the Forest game was more than a disappointment. I think you'll see a discernable shift in the goodwill should we lose at home to Ipswich. 

I'm just talking about the reaction of the crowd though. Where I was in the Itchen I didn't hear any booing or anything that suggested that the crowd was ready to turn en masse. I haven't been to an away yet this season so maybe it's harsher away. 

You may be right though that it could take a nosedive if we lose three more, although I think the style we play will have as much of an impact on how people react, as the results will. We'll see I guess. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, derry said:

Personally I'm not anti RM, nor am I for an indiscriminate sacking. I like possession football especially rapid passing in the opponents half leading to overloads, incisive crosses and chances to score. For me that is what football is about. My big criticism is how we play to maybe get the ball into the opponents half. For the life of me I don't understand how rotating the ball in our own penalty area into tighter areas and increasing pressure is either necessary or even sensible. Our half isn't the place to take risks.

The manager has to shelve his purist ambitions. We cannot be reliant totally on possession to the point of obsession. There needs to be an adjustment made. Can RM do it? Of course he can. He only has to see that a more pragmatic approach is necessary.  Stop the ball rotation in our penalty area. Allow Ramsdale and the centre backs to play the way they are comfortable with. That may well be getting the ball up to the forwards and through the midfield as quickly as possible. Cut out the totally unnecessary midfield on receiving the ball passing it backwards almost every time. Any danger immediately hit it as long as possible out to the wings away from the opponents central defenders and create a multi press to win it or contain it.

I want us to play within our limitations not some pie in the sky meaningless possession statistics. The aim of the game let in fewer goals than we score not the other way round as it is at the moment. Inviting a situation that pressures our defenders into making mistakes has to be avoided. 

Unfortunately this is RM's philosophy which he refuses to compromise. He seems hell bent on trying to produce a team that scores the perfect goals every time and it is just not realistic. These goals, on the few occasions they happen, look fantastic but the problem is they are the exception rather than the norm. Can he stop the tippy tappy suicidal short passing at the back that we continue to do and mix things up? I'm not convinced, it seems to be built into his DNA and will likely be his downfall. Unless he demonstrates to the contrary what we are seeing is all he has in his locker.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, derry said:

Nor can we continue to turn a blind eye. His ball watching and giving the ball away or hospital passes often under no pressure we can do without. We certainly don't have to put up with.

Unfortunately Captain Jack seems to be the first name on the team sheet. Seeing as he's never been more than a slightly below average centre back I fail to see the logic.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Unfortunately Captain Jack seems to be the first name on the team sheet. Seeing as he's never been more than a slightly below average centre back I fail to see the logic.

We were warned by Swansea fans that RM had his favourites and no matter their ability he would not drop them come hell or high water.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, saintant said:

Unfortunately this is RM's philosophy which he refuses to compromise. He seems hell bent on trying to produce a team that scores the perfect goals every time and it is just not realistic. These goals, on the few occasions they happen, look fantastic but the problem is they are the exception rather than the norm. Can he stop the tippy tappy suicidal short passing at the back that we continue to do and mix things up? I'm not convinced, it seems to be built into his DNA and will likely be his downfall. Unless he demonstrates to the contrary what we are seeing is all he has in his locker.

If that is the case then his sacking is inevitable. Media sources are indicating ownership reaction to the results.  I think he will be instructed by the ownership group to cut out the cause of the mistakes we are making in our own penalty area. If we continue and he has defied the ownership group he either won't even make the next game or the owners line up a replacement before making a move. I hope he sees sense. A lot of what he does is good but taken to the extreme leads to failure. His judgement appears faulty such as placing his trust in Manning and Stephens. Supporters have been more right than he has. Wood is another player he required but doesn't look that great to me more Manning / Stephens than Greaves.

Edited by derry
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, derry said:

If that is the case then his sacking is inevitable. Media sources are indicating ownership reaction to the results.  I think he will be instructed by the ownership group to cut out the cause of the mistakes we are making in our own penalty area. If we continue and he has defied the ownership group he either won't even make the next game or the owners line up a replacement before making a move. I hope he sees sense. A lot of what he does is good but taken to the extreme leads to failure. His judgement appears faulty such as placing his trust in Manning and Stephens. Supporters have been more right than he has. Wood is another player he required but doesn't look that great to me more Manning / Stephens than Greaves.

I'm not buying the media sources rumours and believe it is just click bait. My guess is that he still has the full backing of the owners and, at this stage, they will not be interfering with or criticising how he sets up the team. Clearly this may change if his tactics bring more defeats, soft goals and unrest among the fans.

1 minute ago, saintant said:

I'm not buying the media sources rumours and believe it is just click bait. My guess is that he still has the full backing of the owners and, at this stage, they will not be interfering with or criticising how he sets up the team. Clearly this may change if his tactics bring more defeats, soft goals and unrest among the fans.

I can't see the owners don't see the same problem that we are seeing. I also can't envisage that his management superiors will just sit on their hands. I feel sure despite the apparent non movement that there are conversations happening behind closed doors. Either way his set up for the MU game and the way we play will show his position. No change in the way we play, irrespective of team changes, in our penalty area and how Ramsdale in particular plays, will either show his intransigence or pragmatism. If its the former and results don't pick up I'm afraid he will be on borrowed time. Results are everything now. After spending circa £100m plus wages the owners aren't going to be sitting back and repeating the previous relegation debacle of 2022/23.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, saintant said:

I'm not buying the media sources rumours and believe it is just click bait. 

The only ‘media source’ so far is Football Insider isn’t it? Which is a complete joke of a site that no-one takes seriously.

No quotes, no sources named, just ‘Football Insider believes that Russell Martin will be under pressure if he keeps losing games’. Like, no shit lads.

At this stage, with no credible sources backing it up, it is indeed just chancers making obvious headlines for clicks and ad revenue. 

Unless I’ve missed something more credible? 

19 minutes ago, derry said:

I can't see the owners don't see the same problem that we are seeing. I also can't envisage that his management superiors will just sit on their hands. I feel sure despite the apparent non movement that there are conversations happening behind closed doors. Either way his set up for the MU game and the way we play will show his position. No change in the way we play, irrespective of team changes, in our penalty area and how Ramsdale in particular plays, will either show his intransigence or pragmatism. If its the former and results don't pick up I'm afraid he will be on borrowed time. Results are everything now. After spending circa £100m plus wages the owners aren't going to be sitting back and repeating the previous relegation debacle of 2022/23.

Agree and I'm not saying conversations aren't taking place behind closed doors. What I doubt is that anyone in the press has any concrete evidence about any such conversations. You are spot on and RMs team selection and set-up will be a barometer as to what lies ahead and whether he has worked on anything different during the 2 week international break. We'll see.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

The only ‘media source’ so far is Football Insider isn’t it? Which is a complete joke of a site that no-one takes seriously.

No quotes, no sources named, just ‘Football Insider believes that Russell Martin will be under pressure if he keeps losing games’. Like, no shit lads.

At this stage, with no credible sources backing it up, it is indeed just chancers making obvious headlines for clicks and ad revenue. 

Unless I’ve missed something more credible? 

Agreed, it’s not like it’s come from the  CoT or anyone credible like that. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

They’ll turn us over, because no matter how well we’ve played against them we never win.

6-3, 1976 FACup final, 3-1 swapping shirts at half time, Ron Davies 4 ManUtd 0,etc, etc.

Edited by badgerx16

I'm not commenting on the authenticity of the two sites commenting, however it's the mere fact it's out there alongside credible sites shown on news search sites such as Newsnow. These things have an unfortunate way of generating more news. Even if there are leaks there is no way they will ever be attributable. I have no idea what is happening behind closed doors. I am sure there has to be conversations within the club and so there should be. I hope he has the pragmatism to address the problem and stop these unnecessary mistakes from players placed in easily avoidable situations. We'll soon see with the United game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

I'm just talking about the reaction of the crowd though. Where I was in the Itchen I didn't hear any booing or anything that suggested that the crowd was ready to turn en masse. I haven't been to an away yet this season so maybe it's harsher away. 

You may be right though that it could take a nosedive if we lose three more, although I think the style we play will have as much of an impact on how people react, as the results will. We'll see I guess. 

Yeah, its been frustrating to watch. Against Forest there was a real sense of a wasted opportunity. They were pretty average and I come away with a feeling that we didn't really have a go at them. I think if we produce a similar display against Ipswich, it will start to get a little uncomfortable for Martin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

We were warned by Swansea fans that RM had his favourites and no matter their ability he would not drop them come hell or high water.

Manning might have something to say about that. Not even in the match day squad (thank goodness)..

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

6-3, 1976 FACup final, 3-1 swapping shirts at half time, Ron Davies 4 ManUtd 0,etc, etc.

Our record against Manchester United since 1923:

Played 132

Won 28

Drawn 37

Lost 67

(One game before that in 1897 versus Newton Heath in the FA Cup, which we lost 3-1)

Premier League years, not so good:

Played 48

Won 7

Drawn 12

Lost 29

Golas for 52

Goals against 99

9 minutes ago, Bushey Saint said:

Played 132

Won 28

Drawn 37

Lost 67

(One game before that in 1897 versus Newton Heath in the FA Cup, which we lost 3-1)

Played 48

Won 7

Drawn 12

Lost 29

Golas for 52

Goals against 99

The only ones that matter are the ones we win.

12 minutes ago, Bushey Saint said:

Played 132

Won 28

Drawn 37

Lost 67

Played 48

Won 7

Drawn 12

Lost 29

Golas for 52

Goals against 99

Please forward the possession stats, xG and number of touches in own penalty area for these games. Ta. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

That amazes me. If he doesn't try a different approach. 

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Beattie late winner at SMS

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We should play 4-2-3-1

Ramsdale 

Sugawara Bednarek THB kwp/taylor

Downes big Les 

Ballard/Armstrong fernandes/Lallana bbd/Cornet 

Archer 

Think you mean Dibling rather than Ballard but some perfectly reasonable suggestions there along with a sensible formation of 4-2-3-1

12 minutes ago, saintant said:

Think you mean Dibling rather than Ballard but some perfectly reasonable suggestions there along with a sensible formation of 4-2-3-1

Whoops you're right. Still the point stands. 4-2-3-1 is what most successful team play in this league. Let's do that. 

• Like 1

Games til he gets sacked or inadequate points by when he gets sacked by is a morbid subject of discussion - perfect for many dark-humour loving Saints fans. 😈

Half sister to that narrative suggests these last three matches have taught many fans nothing they did not already know (and fear) about RM, the team and its ability in the EPL. He was not good enough he is still not good enough - to summarise it politely. 

Opinions do seem mixed though and there is still some belief (or vain hope) in some ( like me) that RM and team have learned and are learning valuable lessons the best way - through bitter experience.

The (perhaps vain) hope is that, surely, avoidable mistakes can be better avoided and the less avoidable mitigated somehow by improved tactical set-ups, formation changes, replacing players, giving starlets and newbies a chance etc etc. All possible without unduly compromising PB footie principles. 

But there’s also a quite noisy school that fears he will never change and Saints be relegated with fewest points ever etc etc. 

What cannot be changed with a magic wand swapping out a few players and removing a CB or playing 3 forwards and so on is the squad and team morale or indeed the manager and coaches morale, ultimately everyone’s belief. If that goes it does not matter what formation or who starts we are beaten. 

I happen to believe this is our strong suit. Given the time and the support ( from us especially) I feel that the new team spirit and the bond between players and manager - and fans - developed only in last 12 months, could be massively influential this season. It could make a team and a club and a support that on paper might appear inadequate versus most the rest overcome and defy the bookies and the rest of those already having us down as relegated. Lose the fan support and it just makes it 10X harder - indeed I’d say impossible to stay up without SMS being at max positive volume for every home match and our excellent away fans doing there stuff on every trip.
We have a fair chance IMO if those two happen and the team pick up results. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Games til he gets sacked or inadequate points by when he gets sacked by is a morbid subject of discussion - perfect for many dark-humour loving Saints fans. 😈

Half sister to that narrative suggests these last three matches have taught many fans nothing they did not already know (and fear) about RM, the team and its ability in the EPL. He was not good enough he is still not good enough - to summarise it politely. 

Opinions do seem mixed though and there is still some belief (or vain hope) in some ( like me) that RM and team have learned and are learning valuable lessons the best way - through bitter experience.

The (perhaps vain) hope is that, surely, avoidable mistakes can be better avoided and the less avoidable mitigated somehow by improved tactical set-ups, formation changes, replacing players, giving starlets and newbies a chance etc etc. All possible without unduly compromising PB footie principles. 

But there’s also a quite noisy school that fears he will never change and Saints be relegated with fewest points ever etc etc. 

What cannot be changed with a magic wand swapping out a few players and removing a CB or playing 3 forwards and so on is the squad and team morale or indeed the manager and coaches morale, ultimately everyone’s belief. If that goes it does not matter what formation or who starts we are beaten. 

I happen to believe this is our strong suit. Given the time and the support ( from us especially) I feel that the new team spirit and the bond between players and manager - and fans - developed only in last 12 months, could be massively influential this season. It could make a team and a club and a support that on paper might appear inadequate versus most the rest overcome and defy the bookies and the rest of those already having us down as relegated. Lose the fan support and it just makes it 10X harder - indeed I’d say impossible to stay up without SMS being at max positive volume for every home match and our excellent away fans doing there stuff on every trip.
We have a fair chance IMO if those two happen and the team pick up results. 

I completely agree that the team spirit and bond between players and manager is a big plus at this current time. However, this was built last season when we won far more games than we lost. Nothing builds team spirit/bond more than winning. Conversely, if we continue on the current losing trajectory that is when team spirit/bond will be stress tested and we may see a less happy camp as a result. Another important reason why RM needs to get some wins under his belt asap.

• Like 6

On 06/09/2024 at 11:28, Midfield_General said:

This. View from the Itchen too. A lot of grumbling within the crowd about the pointless passing and slow build up. If things don’t change soon, there will be a backlash and fans will become more vocal.

Edited by Zorba
Shitty autocorrect
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Indeed, and I would venture that at least 90% of active forum members on here are in the former camp, with a vocal minority in the latter. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sussex_saint said:

If smallbone and stephens are still on the team sheet next game RM would really be in the gutter with fans!

Add Aribo and Armstrong to that list as well, Dibling and Fernandes for me needs to be starting every game.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DrunkenSaint said:

Add Aribo and Armstrong to that list as well, Dibling and Fernandes for me needs to be starting every game.

Fernandes for sure.  Dibling looks like he needs some time to be Premier League fit, he should be getting game time but in my completely untrained eye he looks a bit off being able to complete 90 minutes in this league.  He will get there, equally he, hopefully, has a long career ahead of him too.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Fernandes for sure.  Dibling looks like he needs some time to be Premier League fit, he should be getting game time but in my completely untrained eye he looks a bit off being able to complete 90 minutes in this league.  He will get there, equally he, hopefully, has a long career ahead of him too.

You're probably right in that Dibling is perhaps not quite ready to start games but let's see him given as many minutes as possible. Just watched Sugawara's goal against Brentford again and the pass Dibling plays to Lallana is absolutely sublime. It's on the Southampton FC Official site with views from numerous different angles. Lallana's movement is also impressive as, of course, is Sugawara's finish. More minutes for Dibling and Lallana please.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 2

Wonder if RM watched what a great job Italy just did on France. 

From being the most disappointing team at the Euros to an excellent demonstration from Luciano Spalletti of next generation football tactics. 

Im certain this match would have given Russ food for thought versus a full strength France team, at home. Italy, despite conceding yet another early goal ( 13seconds) won 1-3 and it could and probably should have been more. With players most of you have never heard of - though Tonali and Arsenals new boy Calafiori were excellent tbf. 

Italy played a kind of 3511 against one of the scariest teams in World Football - Mbappe & friends - and made them look impotent. I think it’s VERY well adapted to Saints and this season in the EPL. You get a chance watch the match. I’m sure Russell and his coaches will be studying it because it was a Masterclass. 

PS. Good article by the ever Italy enthused James Horncastle on the match and tactics in The Athletic if you’ve access. 

PPS: reason I’m even commenting on it is that Italy were so disappointing at Euros - bit like our start  but - Spalletti did not get the sack and, well, his generally unheralded players gave him a result and a performance that’s incredible - Italy had not won in France since Julius Caesar times don’t think 😂. Of course it’s only Match Day one Nations League bollix - but it was France in France and that’s always going to be tough.

So there’s hope for Saints yet!😇

image.thumb.png.4abe8bbf076624084330cde92fe40121.png

Edited by gio1saints