Russell Martin

LegalEagle

23 minutes ago, manji said:

Article is bullshit . Wasn’t that long ago RM received a very lucrative contract. SR knew exactly what they were getting and backed him financially. He’s a very long way from getting the sack.

i struggle with the mentality of some fans. The same lot that wanted him to get the push last season are back. I don’t get why you would want Saints to do badly just so you can say you are right. 

I doubt anybody does. It's a forum and fans are entitled to express their views. Not surprisingly with 3 straight defeats and all the goals conceded in such a slip-shod manner there will be negative comments. Things may change but RM has already warned us he'd rather lose games playing his way than try another system.

• Like 2

I actually think we've shown more promise in our opening few matches of this season than we did during that terrible spell in September last year. We were the better side against Newcastle even before they went down to 10 men and played quite well during stretches in the Brentford match. Yes the giveaways leading to easy goals are very frustrating but Russ has even admitted he gave some players the chance to keep their spot after great seasons last year but now he will re-think our starting XI. Give the new signings a chance to adapt into the starting XI and if it is mid-October and we are seeing the same results, then I will hit the panic button. The poor start isn't ideal whatsoever, but I think we are showing more promising signs than we did last season after our 4 defeats in a row.

Edited by MilwaukeeSaint
  • Like 11

59 minutes ago, manji said:

Article is bullshit . Wasn’t that long ago RM received a very lucrative contract. SR knew exactly what they were getting and backed him financially. He’s a very long way from getting the sack.

This was a premature in my book and should have been left until into  the season and see how he/things look. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, saintant said:

He has admitted on numerous occasions that he will make no compromises on how his teams play. It's pretty evident that he is not suddenly going to adopt different tactics. The most we can hope for is a few more long passes from Ramsdale similar to when McCarthy stepped in at the end of last season. I'm not overly convinced he has much more in his locker because I've not really seen him do anything much to change the course of a game by switching tactics. Bit of a one trick pony perhaps.

Isn't the whole thing this season that actually he did subtly change his tactics for the playoffs due to poor form leading in them and the specific nature of them and then actually his failing this season is not changing back to what worked well last season and what he really believes in?

Meaning we have no real attacking rhythm, fewer passing options for from the back third (leading to them overplaying) and generally a team setup to go into its shell rather than be confident and expansive.

Many of those saying he is too stubborn, never changes etc are the same asking (rightly IMO) for a return to his 'old' 4-3-3 setup which he changed from despite never changing! 

Also as an aside last season (at least up til March) we had the 2nd most goal involvements from subs out of all four divisions. *

I get a section don't like the bloke which is fair enough but some of the stuff written on here is just incorrect.

https://theanalyst.com/2024/03/substitutes-breaking-records-english-football-league

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lhammondo said:

Seemingly a divided set of opinions on RM, so who replaces him (realistically) if said trigger is pulled?

58 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I could see the club giving Lallana a go while they search for a manager. He ticks all the boxes of players likely to have instant success as a manager: played central midfield, played at the top level for a top club, played under numerous great managers with differing styles, is an intelligent player that didn't rely on physical ability or pure technique, been a captain etc... I could see him possibly replicating that Arteta, Xavi, Alonso transition straight to management, or possibly not. Would

This is the kind of bizarre appointment I fear they might make. And then when their preferred and over ambitious number one target rejects us they offer him the job. 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Got back to work today and spoke to a Brentford fan about the game and he said we played pretty well apart from the 2 silly goals.

Having flicked through here I expected that he was going to tell me we played like a park team and were lucky not to let in about 7.

I think that’s a fair assessment, thought we played well except for the errors at the back and whenever we got near their penalty area. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

This is the kind of bizarre appointment I fear they might make. And then when their preferred and over ambitious number one target rejects us they offer him the job. 

I think Lallana has a pretty good football brain and would do a decent job with our current squad.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think Lallana has a pretty good football brain and would do a decent job with our current squad.

So if you don’t want Lego Head, be prepared for:

351F0877-3683-400B-8556-AB886055B4A2.webp.a59392d1242ff1c0144e5be32f37bf8f.webp

… Lego Head MkII 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

I doubt anybody does. It's a forum and fans are entitled to express their views. Not surprisingly with 3 straight defeats and all the goals conceded in such a slip-shod manner there will be negative comments. Things may change but RM has already warned us he'd rather lose games playing his way than try another system.

He doesn't have the right to make that choice. He is employed to do his best not experiment and justify defeats on the back of stupidity. It's only three games, 5 goals conceded and one consolation goal at Brentford. All of those goals were errors in possession or failing to clear the ball. The throw to our near post was an obvious flick on, when it came we had nobody on the post or on the goal line. Never mind the obsessive possession in our penalty area the organisation defending the set plays was poor.

He doesn't have to try another system he just has to stop rotation of the ball around our penalty area. We can play possession football in the opponents half.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Badger said:

So if you don’t want Lego Head, be prepared for:

351F0877-3683-400B-8556-AB886055B4A2.webp.a59392d1242ff1c0144e5be32f37bf8f.webp

… Lego Head MkII 

What's with all this Lego head bollox? Seems unnecessarily personal whatever it is. 

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Give the guy a break:

• He's turned the club around from a floating disaster - 3 managers in a season, apathetic players, mutinous supporters, useless performances, poisonous culture - in just over a year. Read that again - just over a year!
  • He's given the club a defined vision and culture, uniting the players behind a way of playing which attracts top talent like Ramsdale - many new players talk about how they were attracted by the style of play
  • He's proved to be pragmatic when needed - turning us around last season after the poor start, and at the end when it mattered most
  • He's given us two of the most atmospheric and positive games we've experienced in recent times in the West Brom and Leeds matches
  • We're playing in the most competitive league in the world, against much better resourced teams who game PSR, more tactically astute, experienced players. Yes we've looked naïve and yes we've thrown away four goals (80% of the ones conceded) by overplaying, and it's frustrating to watch
  • But my god doesn't he deserve a chance to make it good! I have faith
  • Like 17

2 minutes ago, JamiSaint said:

Give the guy a break:

• He's turned the club around from a floating disaster - 3 managers in a season, apathetic players, mutinous supporters, useless performances, poisonous culture - in just over a year. Read that again - just over a year!
  • He's given the club a defined vision and culture, uniting the players behind a way of playing which attracts top talent like Ramsdale - many new players talk about how they were attracted by the style of play
  • He's proved to be pragmatic when needed - turning us around last season after the poor start, and at the end when it mattered most
  • He's given us two of the most atmospheric and positive games we've experienced in recent times in the West Brom and Leeds matches
  • We're playing in the most competitive league in the world, against much better resourced teams who game PSR, more tactically astute, experienced players. Yes we've looked naïve and yes we've thrown away four goals (80% of the ones conceded) by overplaying, and it's frustrating to watch

You’re not allowed to use any positives from last season apparently, doesn’t count anymore.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Badger said:

But it's not that unlikely an appointment in an interim capacity, rightly or wrongly. My question is are the owners looking to stay up or not? As stupid a question as that may sound, if SR view this as a free hit in the prem, and if we stay up then great, they'll stick with RM; if they have ambition then they'll have earmarked replacements already (who many of us may not have heard of), but there's a form of precedent here. When Adkins was sacked after doing better than RM, it was widely met with shock, but Poch...well i don't need to wax lyrical about him....

I hope we get rid and very soon, but if they have someone in mind who they think it's capable of keeping us up. A manager for the championship isn't necessarily as good for the prem (AA illustrates the point well).

Rant over 🙂

12 minutes ago, JamiSaint said:

Give the guy a break:

Fair points, but many of the players under him are 'his' so why aren't they tactically astute in the prem? Some of them have international experience as well as a season in the championship 🤷

I wasn't at the two atmospheric games you refer to, but surely that is down to those who were able to go, not the manager...

In comparison, RM will seem like the second coming to the little welshman, so i see your point, but he had a very low bar.

As for 'does he deserve a chance'? Yes, he does. But how long should that be? It's not as if we didn't display implosion tendencies last season and i don't see us getting out of this with him. I'm more than happy to proven wrong, but it's unlikely (IMO)

28 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

You’re not allowed to use any positives from last season apparently, doesn’t count anymore.

Not just that, you're not allowed to remember negatives from the season before either, we even have threads lusting after nathan jones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I think that’s a fair assessment, thought we played well except for the errors at the back and whenever we got near their penalty area. 

I think you’ve hit on something, so, if we could work on preventing conceding goals, whilst simultaneously scoring goals, we’d potentially be in much better shape? Where does that leave possession? 

Its pretty mental to me that 3 games in there are people discussing him getting the sack, let alone wanting him to be sacked. Get a grip ffs - he's earned more than 3 games in the prem 🤣

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Glad to see that a few days grace has brought at least some semblance of balance to this thread… Thought I was on an island for not calling for the man’s head after 3 games.

He will need to adapt, I think he’s made it clear he will adapt and evidence suggests that he’s open to it.

I don’t for a second think that means he’s going to bin off his philosophy and ways of working as some have suggested he needs to do but I do think the subs against Brentford were telling, they were early and they were reflective of the changes many of us had urged from the start.

It’s encouraging at least that he didn’t wait and had the courage of his convictions to move early. Did it work? No... But how many times did we see Ralph, Nate et al. Not make those kind of decisions.

He is an inexperienced manager at this level that much we know. But we’re going to find out if he’s a competent manager. Id suggest he’s probably learnt more in the last three games than he’s learnt in the last three seasons. Now the metal hits the road and we see what he’s made of.

Im behind the team and I hope we find solutions. The potential is there, now we just need to realise it. 

• Like 6

The main problem as I see it is that the are many fast and skilful forwards in the Prem who will be watching and waiting for mistakes 

I just can't see how his insistence on fannying around at the back with our players is going to  work. I'm dreading seeing what the best Prem forwards will do to us if we continue like this.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

The main problem as I see it is that the are many fast and skilful forwards in the Prem who will be watching and waiting for mistakes 

I just can't see how his insistence on fannying around at the back with our players is going to  work. I'm dreading seeing what the best Prem forwards will do to us if we continue like this.

They can’t do anything to us we haven’t already endured, unless you reckon a 0-10 is possible? Doubt it.

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Its pretty mental to me that 3 games in there are people discussing him getting the sack, let alone wanting him to be sacked. Get a grip ffs - he's earned more than 3 games in the prem 🤣

8 hours ago, Hopper said:

Thought I was on an island for not calling for the man’s head after 3 games.

It would be interesting to see a compiled list of all those posters calling for his head after 3 games, I would think it would be a relatively short list tbh.

He’s yet to put out our best starting XI and hopefully he will address our obvious problems in and around our own penalty area but the concern is understandable.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

You are right but we failed to act soon enough last time we appointed a disaster, if he can't get any points on the board by the end of September the club must find the strength to get rid... I'm not sure they will as it looks like they aren't too bothered about premier league footbal

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hopper said:

Glad to see that a few days grace has brought at least some semblance of balance to this thread… Thought I was on an island for not calling for the man’s head after 3 games.

He will need to adapt, I think he’s made it clear he will adapt and evidence suggests that he’s open to it.

I don’t for a second think that means he’s going to bin off his philosophy and ways of working as some have suggested he needs to do but I do think the subs against Brentford were telling, they were early and they were reflective of the changes many of us had urged from the start.

It’s encouraging at least that he didn’t wait and had the courage of his convictions to move early. Did it work? No... But how many times did we see Ralph, Nate et al. Not make those kind of decisions.

He is an inexperienced manager at this level that much we know. But we’re going to find out if he’s a competent manager. Id suggest he’s probably learnt more in the last three games than he’s learnt in the last three seasons. Now the metal hits the road and we see what he’s made of.

Im behind the team and I hope we find solutions. The potential is there, now we just need to realise it. 

While I respect your sentiment, I don't think it's reasonable that RM should need hindsight to see what what was obvious beforehand. Wide attackers and no CF was never going to work, static over passing in tight areas at the back was only going to end one way, a lack of progression through midfield means a lack of progression up the pitch, etc etc. 

Sure, he changed things during the game at Brentford, but you're not persuading me that it should have reached the stage where winnable points were lost before he saw the bleeding obvious. 

That said, I'm not calling for his head yet, but I don't see him making the radical changes to his approach that he needs to make to give is even half a chance this season. A few more games for me - if pride hasn't been swallowed in that time, and changes made accordingly, then I don't think he ever will. 

• Like 4

When we're winning I like the commitment to style and the hint of arrogance from RM, when we are losing i dislike the exact same things as above. ( the beauty of football! ) 

I really hope he can work it out as he gave me and many others a amazing day out at Wembley but something will have to change surely as Saturday was just football sucicide. 

I think the Ipswich and Bournemouth games are pivotal. 4 points on the board by the end of these should be the minimum expectation. Anything less and I think the board need to take action.

11 hours ago, saintant said:

Provding Martin can cling on a season, Lallana will be our next manager, I'm almost certain of it. 

He'll defo be caretaker if / when RM is booted. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Provding Martin can cling on a season, Lallana will be our next manager, I'm almost certain of it. 

He'll defo be caretaker if / when RM is booted. 

I’d think Lallana would be an arm-around-the-shoulder kind of manager, he’d almost certainly need a Sammy Lee-type alongside him for the more gnarlier stuff.

13 hours ago, manji said:

i struggle with the mentality of some fans. The same lot that wanted him to get the push last season are back. I don’t get why you would want Saints to do badly just so you can say you are right. 

That is ridiculous.  I don’t want Saints to do badly.  I would rather Martin proved me wrong.  I’m wrong about a hell of a lot of things, ask Mrs Garrett.

I just don’t think he’s the man for the job and have no faith whatsoever that his style of play is going to get us points.

Fucking hell manji, that’s total bullshit.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I think the Ipswich and Bournemouth games are pivotal. 4 points on the board by the end of these should be the minimum expectation. Anything less and I think the board need to take action.

We certainly  do have to pick up points, but Ipswich beat us twice last season and have got off to a good start this season, and like it or not, Bournemouth are now a decent side. It wont be easy. I believe that is why there is so much angst right now,  we have let the opportunity of 4 or more achievable points slip through our fingers largely due to questionable decisions by Russ. 

11 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

B,ut he also needs to stop playing stupid tactics, and then we might say hes learning or learnt from previous games,otherwise not a lot would have changed and we might find ourselves cut adrift sooner rather than later,also given the fact that Leicester are now not getting points deducted.

4 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We certainly  do have to pick up points, but Ipswich beat us twice last season and have got off to a good start this season, and like it or not, Bournemouth are now a decent side. It wont be easy. I believe that is why there is so much angst right now,  we have let the opportunity of 4 or more achievable points slip through our fingers largely due to questionable decisions by Russ. 

Agree that these games and the next against Man Utd will be tough but we know there are no easy games in this league. I look at our squad and believe that there is a decent starting eleven there that could hold its own when played  in the right formation and with the right strategy. It is up to RM to come up with the names to fit into that decent starting eleven and get them playing to their strengths. We have spent many seasons surviving the rigours of the Premier League and there's no reason why we can't do it again.

• Like 2

I struggle with the mentality of some fans.

I can see the 'mental struggle' to understand the small minority of fans that are calling for Russ to be sacked after 3 games, but what about the majority of fans who want Russ to succeed, don't want him sacked as things stand, but have valid concerns about whether or not Russ has the acumen to get the best out of the players at his disposal and turn things around? Do they pass the Manji mentality test...? ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Forrest are a better side than Ipswich and Bournemouth should be a game we target to take something from. If we can’t take points from these games it leaves us very few realistic opportunities.

Bunch of bloody drama queens on here.

We scraped up via the playoffs and have signed a load of players who, apart from Ramsdale, have little to no record of success at Premier League level - we will probably go down regardless of who is manager. That is just a fact.

Sacking the manager now would be madness, our best hope is to see if Martin can put a decent side together with the new signings - if he can’t then it’s worth thinking about maybe getting a new guy, until then it’s not worth wetting the bed over.

• Like 2

I don't want to be right. I want Saints to do their best. Russell Martin isn't currently even trying to do his best right now. If he suddenly changed everything about how he manages then great. I still won't like him but I don't need to. 

You happy clappers always equate a dislike for the coach to wanting us to do poorly so we can be right. The suggestion is ridiculous. I care about the club, Russell Martin is nothing to me. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I’d think Lallana would be an arm-around-the-shoulder kind of manager, he’d almost certainly need a Sammy Lee-type alongside him for the more gnarlier stuff.

Lallana and Paul Wotton dream team. 

All jokes aside, it'd be really interesting to see his sytle of management, he's played under some pretty influentual managers in Poch, Klopp and Di-zerbi. 

Edited by Dman

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Bunch of bloody drama queens on here.

Yeah, agree... those that focus on the small minority of fans that are calling for Russ to be sacked, whilst ignoring the majority of pragmatic fans who have valid concerns but still want Russ to succeed, need to stop being so dramatic... ;)

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Forrest are a better side than Ipswich and Bournemouth should be a game we target to take something from. If we can’t take points from these games it leaves us very few realistic opportunities.

I'm not sure about this unless we do nothing and continue as we are. However, change course and, aside from Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool, I'd say we can take points off any other side if our strongest eleven is selected, tactics and set-up are right and games are managed well in terms of substitutes and tactical changes. We've done it in the past. This is a reasonable squad of players. Survival is a distinct possibility but there will need to be major changes in the manager's thinking which is the fly in the ointment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

It would be interesting to see a compiled list of all those posters calling for his head after 3 games, I would think it would be a relatively short list tbh.

He’s yet to put out our best starting XI and hopefully he will address our obvious problems in and around our own penalty area but the concern is understandable.

I’m one to be fair.

25 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

I don't want to be right. I want Saints to do their best. Russell Martin isn't currently even trying to do his best right now. If he suddenly changed everything about how he manages then great. I still won't like him but I don't need to. 

You happy clappers always equate a dislike for the coach to wanting us to do poorly so we can be right. The suggestion is ridiculous. I care about the club, Russell Martin is nothing to me. 

I could be wrong, I'm not on here monitoring who's posting when but... I get the feeling there are some posters who only seem to be active when the chips are down.  Obviously... this isn't pointed at anyone, clearly.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tanlee said:

When we're winning I like the commitment to style and the hint of arrogance from RM, when we are losing i dislike the exact same things as above. ( the beauty of football! ) 

I really hope he can work it out as he gave me and many others a amazing day out at Wembley but something will have to change surely as Saturday was just football sucicide. 

When we are losing I like a review of the style commitment and the hint of humility from RM.   We haven't seen enough of either.   The clock is ticking.

14 hours ago, Badger said:

This was a premature in my book and should have been left until into  the season and see how he/things look. 

Keeps us up he will likely be in demand-and you may get your wish for a new manager. So in that scenario max 9months time. 

If we go down he may also be gone this time via the Kompany route - again max 9 months time. 

So, looks like a win-win for you sooner or later within 9 months. 

As for renewing his and coaching staff contract - this see how it goes thing is wishful thinking and not how football works.

NOT renewing their contract after last season is virtually the equivalent of asking them to leave - and leave they would.

NOT renewing the contract after last season would be regarded as a massive ( and perverse) vote of no confidence in the results of his and his coaching staff methods.
If you think telling your manager essentially you don’t rate him or his coaches in the EPL but you’ll give them a few matches see how it goes is going to end well you might be disappointed. Sounds fine in theory but not only would RM and coaches be undermined but the playing squad would be left wondering wether they should bother listening to this bloke & these coaches cos the owners don’t rate them and they will probably be gone in short while. 

So- maybe mistake- in your book - renewing the deal for RM & staff - but quite honestly SR did not really have much choice so it’s not something that should be used against them - or RM and the coaches either. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hopefully he'll turn it around as I have no desire for a sacking BUT if his tactics are being routinely showed up week after week and he does nothing about it then he should be shown the door before the damage becomes critical and the new guy has no chance to rescue things.

The board will expect a good stab at survival having put reasonable cash into the team and IMO we do have a team that can compete - but not with this kamikaze defending.

My guess is they give him around 10 games (Everton (h) 2nd Nov) to see if he's up to it.

Personally I prefer the champ so relegation would not be a problem for me - but then I'm not going to lose millions over it.

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Yeah, agree... those that focus on the small minority of fans that are calling for Russ to be sacked, whilst ignoring the majority of pragmatic fans who have valid concerns but still want Russ to succeed, need to stop being so dramatic... ;)

read the match thread lol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OldNick said:

read the match thread lol

Or don’t.😂Great riposte! 

ION: All Saints match day threads are X rated PG required stuff 😂😇

FREE BONUS CONTENT

And any Saints match day thread where we lose is the equivalent of XXX rated because the minority ( 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣) of posts put on there + the likes for that minority of XXX stuff  (🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣) are impressively widespread despite it being from a tiny weeny minority of posters (🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trousers said:

I think a lot of this is in your head. Just because some posters call out the bed shitters doesn’t mean they are ignoring the pragmatic posts. 

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 1