Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

Nuno totally owned Martin at St Marys. Different level of manager from an in play strategy point of view.

Russell has many attributes, I like him and really want him to do well.

I'm sure he doesn't coach the players to give away goals. Probably as seething as we are at our start. Guess we'll see a response of some sort.

He is though. Its his fault we're playing silly passes in / just outside the box, when being pressed relentlessly. Its everything he is trying to get us to do. 

3 games, 5 'indivual' mistakes leading to goals, all off the back of trying to play a way he wants us to. Against, might I add, 3 of the poorer sides. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Speaking about the goals we've stupidly conceded this season, he said he didn't know why the players were passing it backwards in those situations. Basically acting as if he HASN'T been drilling this play style into them since summer 2023.

We're continoulsy passing it backwards because at this level, players are faster, stronger and more intelligent and managers are tactically more astute and don't allow us to play / dominate. 

Its delusional from him. 

• Like 2

Has to change.  ABK playing instead of Stephens would be a good start, Smallbone and Aribo out too, preferably playing with a central striker too.  I know we let in goals in the cup, but I would much rather watch us play 4-3-3 and score goals even if we lose, than lose by giving the ball away at the back and never attacking.

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

We're continoulsy passing it backwards because at this level, players are faster, stronger and more intelligent and managers are tactically more astute and don't allow us to play / dominate. 

Its delusional from him. 

I agree. But the fact he says that tells me he's going to be trying to change it.

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, egg said:

I couldn't give a monkeys about other managers and other clubs. Our manager is out of his depth, is tactically naive, and our club is destined for relegation of something doesn't change sharpish. 

I was stating that your opinion may not be as watertight as you may think. 

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Speaking about the goals we've stupidly conceded this season, he said he didn't know why the players were passing it backwards in those situations. Basically acting as if he HASN'T been drilling this play style into them since summer 2023.

Sorry mate, is this opinion or fact? As far as I’m aware it can’t be fact as I don’t think you’re a player or part of the coaching staff. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I agree. But the fact he says that tells me he's going to be trying to change it.

Which if he does, that's all we can ask for.

I've doubts about his ability and tactical nous, but hes deserved a crack at this level. 

We need to find the balance of playing a possession based style, but not being painfully wedded to a system, which is causing us to lose games. 

Imo, we need to be a little more direct and have pace on the counter. That doesn't mean a lump up to a big man, but playing through the 3rds wih 2/3 passes, rather than knocking it about at the back invting the press. 

De Zerbi's brighton were a great example of that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

I've doubts about his ability and tactical nous, but hes deserved a crack at this level. 

We need to find the balance of playing a possession based style, but not being painfully wedded to a system, which is causing us to lose games. 

Imo, we need to be a little more direct and have pace on the counter. That doesn't mean a lump up to a big man, but playing through the 3rds wih 2/3 passes, rather than knocking it about at the back invting the press. 

De Zerbi’s Brighton were a great example of what?

• Confused 1

Just now, notnowcato said:

finding the balance of playing a possession based style but progressing through the 3rds with pace and directness. Everything we're not 👍

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I was stating that your opinion may not be as watertight as you may think. 

I'm satisfied that my opinion that RM is learning on the job, isn't doing terribly well, and that it's not ideal to have a trainee PL manager, is watertight. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm satisfied that my opinion that RM is learning on the job, isn't doing terribly well, and that it's not ideal to have a trainee PL manager, is watertight. 

Cool, you’ve just kissed goodbye to Poch, Koeman and even WGS. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

finding the balance of playing a possession based style but progressing through the 3rds with pace and directness. Everything we're not 👍

Incorrect. De Zerbi invited the press to a level never seen before in football. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kermitzasaint said:

So a 60 minute performance against a lower league side is the reason that RM will be a hero for us? Seriously? 

In what world did you infer that?

I simply used that as an example of what Martin wants to achieve regularly. Evidently it’s not where we are now especially against current opposition.

But that is the template of an ideal performance. He wants to aim for that in every game. Not this slow paced constant back passing. He was frustrated at Newcastle because we took our foot off and sent it back unnecessarily.

The issue at the moment as many have pointed out is that the level of opposition is much higher and we are paying the price for not moving the ball quickly enough through the lines. I’m sure he would much rather we shift it faster and forwards but it’s not happening. Be it the players, the system or the opposition and he’s going to need to find solutions to make a difference there.

The point I was making is that an ideal performance for him doesn’t look like the ponderous back passing we’ve been seeing. It’s just a by-product of him not adapting his tactics quickly enough to nullify it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

What's incorrect? they kept the ball and had a structed way of inviting the press, so that when they could play through, they did with pace and directness. 

Not silly little 2 yard aimless passes (i.e passing for the sake of it), see Bednerak and Mccarthy as an example.

The trouble is, we're 'inviting the press' and passing it straight to them. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Cool, you’ve just kissed goodbye to Poch, Koeman and even WGS. 

Perhaps you're just highliting that, as many of us said last season, Martin isn't a very good manager. 

Likeable bloke, very, very average manager. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Perhaps you're just highliting that, as many of us said last season, Martin isn't a very good manager. 

Likeable bloke, very, very average manager. 

Yeah on the back of the rock solid argument of “promoted in spite of him”. 

Your legendary status on here continues at a great pace. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me at least it’s not the idea. It’s the execution.

I think it’s safe to say he’s not getting what he’s asking them to do. Him pulling THB off in consecutive matches shows that.

The question now is do the players start to implement it properly (I’ve got fears that we may not have the personnel to do it at this level) or does he try to mitigate it tactically. One of the two needs to give.

I think a return to a back 4 would be a good start. THB and Janny B built a strong partnership last season and right now the balance feels way off with Jack jammed in there.

That would free us up to bring in a few of the fresher faces (Matty F, Dibling, Archer) and provide a few more options for the defence when playing out. 

3 at the back just isn’t working and it’s a contrast to how we played most of last season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

20 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

19 minutes ago, Dman said:

10 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

What's incorrect? they kept the ball and had a structed way of inviting the press, so that when they could play through, they did with pace and directness. 

Not silly little 2 yard aimless passes (i.e passing for the sake of it), see Bednerak and Mccarthy as an example.

Make your mind up. Invite the press or don’t??

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

Make your mind up. Invite the press or don’t??

Minds made up. Whatever Martin is telling us to do, not that. It doesn't work. 

FWIW, you're not gonna get a sniff of his missus knickers by clinging onto his arse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If you listen to any interviews with RM or read any articles on him they all tell the same story - he simply will not sacrifice his playbook even if his team is losing consistently. He believes that in the end they will learn and stop repeating mistakes and thinks his way of playing football is the best. It is simply delusional.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Hopper said:

In what world did you infer that?

I simply used that as an example of what Martin wants to achieve regularly. Evidently it’s not where we are now especially against current opposition.

But that is the template of an ideal performance. He wants to aim for that in every game. Not this slow paced constant back passing. He was frustrated at Newcastle because we took our foot off and sent it back unnecessarily.

The issue at the moment as many have pointed out is that the level of opposition is much higher and we are paying the price for not moving the ball quickly enough through the lines. I’m sure he would much rather we shift it faster and forwards but it’s not happening. Be it the players, the system or the opposition and he’s going to need to find solutions to make a difference there.

The point I was making is that an ideal performance for him doesn’t look like the ponderous back passing we’ve been seeing. It’s just a by-product of him not adapting his tactics quickly enough to nullify it.

Which begs the question why isn't he either getting messages onto the field to players who are not complying with his instructions or substituting them earlier?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Of course he has been drilling this style into his players. He has a vision of how football should be played and the owners of the club have given him the keys to the toy box and the opportunity to fulfil his dream. 

But suddenly he has been found out. All the training that they’ve done during the week goes out the window as soon as they go over the top into the real world of the Premier League. Everything is happening at a much faster and more intense level. For him to say that he doesn’t know why his players are passing it backwards just reveals his ineptitude. They are doing it because they’re under pressure. It’s something that they’re not used to and haven’t trained for.

The answer is to get the ball further up the field and to hang on to it longer once it gets there. It’s not helped by players such as Smallbone who ping the ball back as soon as it’s passed to him, usually when he’s in space.. He’s not helping his defenders. Just once in a while I’d love for our midfielders to receive the ball and then turn and look upfield.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

Agree, if you watched Brighton under De Zerbi they often played the ball from the goalkeeper to a centre back. He then played a fast hard pass into their central midfield who got on the half turn - meanwhile their two wide players hugged the touchline and were played in from midfield. It was a constant theme I noticed when watching them. It did of course require their midfield to be comfortable receiving the ball played at pace and getting on the half turn to set them moving into attack.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

This is what boils my piss about him. He sets the culture at the club, & the culture is excessive possession football. People laugh at Fat Sam and others over their 4-4-fucking 2 football, but this blokes as inflexible as any of those dinosaurs. It’s all well and good saying we shouldn’t be playing that particular way in that particular instance, but he stands there clapping  like a performing seal when we pass our way out of tight situations, safe in the knowledge the cameras will catch him showing the world “that’s MY philosophy “. Added to the fact he wants us to play like that, the players have no out ball even if they wanted to launch it. We’ve got no CF to challenge and hold the ball up and no wide men capable of chasing into the channels. I’ve fucking no doubt Lego wouldn’t be applauding a centre half who hoofed it straight back to the oppositions keeper when under pressure. He’s a fucking pony merchant. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Of course he has been drilling this style into his players. He has a vision of how football should be played and the owners of the club have given him the keys to the toy box and the opportunity to fulfil his dream. 

But suddenly he has been found out. All the training that they’ve done during the week goes out the window as soon as they go over the top into the real world of the Premier League. Everything is happening at a much faster and more intense level. For him to say that he doesn’t know why his players are passing it backwards just reveals his ineptitude. They are doing it because they’re under pressure. It’s something that they’re not used to and haven’t trained for.

The answer is to get the ball further up the field and to hang on to it longer once it gets there. It’s not helped by players such as Smallbone who ping the ball back as soon as it’s passed to him, usually when he’s in space.. He’s not helping his defenders. Just once in a while I’d love for our midfielders to receive the ball and then turn and look upfield.

Nail on the head - it's more of a panic stricken heat of the moment thing but stems from the way RM insists the team play. He's not telling them to continually pass it back and put us in trouble but it's happening in the heat of the game because of his tactics. Yes, it'll look pretty and effective at Staplewood but not so much at places like the Etihad.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Sorry mate, is this opinion or fact? As far as I’m aware it can’t be fact as I don’t think you’re a player or part of the coaching staff. 

You seriously trying to say that passing it around the back ISN'T what Martin has wanted us to do since he came in? 

Despite him repeatedly saying in the past that's what he wants us to do?

18 minutes ago, saintant said:

If you listen to any interviews with RM or read any articles on him they all tell the same story - he simply will not sacrifice his playbook even if his team is losing consistently. He believes that in the end they will learn and stop repeating mistakes and thinks his way of playing football is the best. It is simply delusional.

I know, he's always been stubborn about it. But this comment from him, as much as I hate him throwing the players under the bus, is him distancing himself from the nonsense of passing it backwards/around unnecessarily in our own area, which says to me that when we come back from the international break we SHOULD have worked on getting it forward quicker.

I'll be honest. I've never warmed to the bloke in the way I did with Adkins. I think there's more than an element of him being in it for himself and the actual club not being particularly important to his project. However I did say at the start of the season that he got us up and deserves to do things his way. I expect he's quite a proud bloke and he should be given the chance to show that he can adapt now and make the necessary changes as he did last year. Even if we lose to United we need a much improved performance with signs that we are moving in a different direction which at the moment is breaking the record low points total. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

Just now, Saint_clark said:

You seriously trying to say that passing it around the back ISN'T what Martin has wanted us to do since he came in? 

Despite him repeatedly saying in the past that's what he wants us to do?

I know, he's always been stubborn about it. But this comment from him, as much as I hate him throwing the players under the bus, is him distancing himself from the nonsense of passing it backwards/around unnecessarily in our own area, which says to me that when we come back from the international break we SHOULD have worked on getting it forward quicker.

I read his comment differently to you. I accept that he is not telling them to pass back into trouble - however, they are doing so because they panic in the heat of a match which is a very different environment to the comfort of the Staplewood training pitches. So for me, the passing back at the wrong times is a bi-product of his methods which lead to panic. Unless we find a less stressful of playing these mistakes are going to continue.

• Like 2

Just now, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

I don't get this passing around the back, not only is it a form of Russian roulette, I find it boring. As soon as we needed to score goals on Saturday we played normally and looked quite dangerous. Make runs and look for the killer pass! Its as simple as that!

That's a great way of putting it 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, saintant said:

Nail on the head - it's more of a panic stricken heat of the moment thing but stems from the way RM insists the team play. He's not telling them to continually pass it back and put us in trouble but it's happening in the heat of the game because of his tactics. Yes, it'll look pretty and effective at Staplewood but not so much at places like the Etihad.

Bang on mate. I think this is exactly it. It's a result of the players either not implementing or not being capable of implementing at this level. We saw it work well last season (for the most part) but this level of opposition are asking different questions of the defence and currently we don't have the answers.

Honestly fascinated to see what gives first; The players, the system or the coach. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Deflecting the blame from himself. He seems to very good at that. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Smallbone is absolutely the biggest culprit for this but I actually thought KWP was doing this excessively against brentford. There were a lot of times he had a fairly safe ball on to Downes but instead went to Jack Janny or THB. Even better he could have played forward to BBD who had space on a number of occasions. 

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Deflecting the blame from himself. He seems to very good at that. 

I'd wholey disagree with this most interviews he accepts full responsibility even when it's not directly his fault.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I'd wholey disagree with this most interviews he accepts full responsibility even when it's not directly his fault.

He just said he doesn't know why the players are passing it around between themselves at the back. Far as I'm aware that's a plan we've acted out pretty much since day one of him being here. We keep the ball, playing these stupid passes between ourselves waiting for an opening that never presents itself. If they haven't been told not to do it, why are they doing it? Stephens and Bednarek aren't newcomers to the PL, they are experienced, might not be the best but they will know that passing it around as much as we do is going to lead to massive amounts of mistakes. The manager is absolutely telling them to play this way, so when he says he doesn't know why they are playing that way, it's absolute horseshit.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Hopper said:

You're right but irrespective of where blame lies the manager, coaches and players need to be having a long debrief meeting to discuss what is going wrong and why so that they can do something constructive about it. I'm sure they are having such meetings and I hope some good will come out of them because the first three games have been poor other than brief periods in each.

13 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Smallbone is absolutely the biggest culprit for this but I actually thought KWP was doing this excessively against brentford. There were a lot of times he had a fairly safe ball on to Downes but instead went to Jack Janny or THB. Even better he could have played forward to BBD who had space on a number of occasions. 

We’ve seen it for a long while now. Forward players make darting runs and are ignored. It can’t be a surprise if they eventually give up on them.

• Like 1

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

He just said he doesn't know why the players are passing it around between themselves at the back. Far as I'm aware that's a plan we've acted out pretty much since day one of him being here. We keep the ball, playing these stupid passes between ourselves waiting for an opening that never presents itself. If they haven't been told not to do it, why are they doing it? Stephens and Bednarek aren't newcomers to the PL, they are experienced, might not be the best but they will know that passing it around as much as we do is going to lead to massive amounts of mistakes. The manager is absolutely telling them to play this way, so when he says he doesn't know why they are playing that way, it's absolute horseshit.

Most of the passing at the back is far too short and fiddly and results in panic. Watch the pass out from the back style played properly and generally the passes are much longer and hit with pace which opens up space. There is no reason why our players shouldn't be skilled enough to do that. You can't and won't successfully play out from the back with fiddly short passes and the coaches should be putting this right.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cgl28xezy29t

Listen to his interview instead of making assumptions.

He says the payers are doing what he's asking them to do and he conceeds that the setup and the detail isn't right. You can be opinionated that's your right, but don't talk nonsence. He accepts responsibility and isn't deflecting in the slightest.

• Haha 1

Underneath the bravado, he has to be very concerned - as I think most of us are - about us getting an absolute hammering by Man Utd, playing the way we are. They may not be what they were, but they still have a billion pound squad stuffed with senior internationals who are more than capable of forcing mistakes and capitalising on them. 

Three defeats on the spin, against moderate PL opposition, with only one (consolation) goal scored is a bad enough look in itself, but if we give the same gifts to United that we've been giving up to everyone else and end up on the receiving end of a pasting, then surely he has to start looking over his shoulder and worrying about how secure his job is. A heavy defeat puts him into De Boer territory. 

Unless of course, he's been given reassurances that he's SR's guy no matter what happens and will stay in charge even if we go down, which isn't out of the question, and might explain the bullishness. 

Edited by Midfield_General
Corrected

11 minutes ago, Hopper said:

https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cgl28xezy29t

Listen to his interview instead of making assumptions.

He says the payers are doing what he's asking them to do and he conceeds that the setup and the detail isn't right. You can be opinionated that's your right, but don't talk nonsence. He accepts responsibility and isn't deflecting in the slightest.

So, if the setup and detail isn't right, why persist playing like it for the past three games. I sat through the Forest game at St Mary's, it was clear to everyone that we were struggling and couldn't lay a glove on them, yet subs weren't introduced into we had gone one down. If you accept responsibility, aren't you then duty bound to try and rectify things at the next available opportunity? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I actually agree. Martins comments post match, whilst they were throwing the players under the bus, show that he will be changing things next time out and he has two weeks to work on doing that now. 

It’s not like he’s had a whole preseason to do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Underneath the bravado, he has to be very concerned - as I think most of us are - about us getting an absolute hammering away at Man Utd, playing the way we are. They may not be what they were, but they still have a billion pound squad stuffed with senior internationals who are more than capable of forcing mistakes and capitalising on them. 

Three defeats on the spin, against moderate PL opposition, with only one (consolation) goal scored is a bad enough look in itself, but if we give the same gifts to United that we've been giving up to everyone else and end up on the receiving end of 5, 6 or more, then surely he has to start looking over his shoulder and worrying about how secure his job is. A heavy defeat puts him into De Boer territory. 

Unless of course, he's been given reassurances that he's SR's guy no matter what happens and will stay in charge even if we go down, which isn't out of the question, and might explain the bullishness. 

We're at home to them though next up. But we'll still get beat. And the following week by Ipswich. 

Not having any confidence we'll win a game at present.