Russell Martin

LegalEagle

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I wonder if he reflects on the last two games and thinks "fucking nice one, most possession two games in a row.  All those doubters can fuck off ThE sYstEM iS wOrkInG"?

"see my system can work in the premier league. Suck on that haters."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

If you were offered a decent keeper, decent striker or a decent coach but you can only choose two of the three. What would you choose? 

Russell Martin lost us that game doing exactly what he is known for on his worst days. He is out of his depth and is completely unable to change a game. Once again the same subs, need a goal? Put on Edozie who carries zero threat. 

Only Dibling was dangerous purely because he isn't locked in to RM's cowardly football. 

Martin got us promoted doing things his way and deserves to have a crack at things. At least it will definitively show either way if he's up to it and will be a proper learning experience. Personally I'd rather just be successful in this league instead of being wedded to a particular style but he's going to live and die by it. One thing is for sure we need a goal or two and a point in the next couple of games or this season is going to be very long and ugly. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I wonder if he reflects on the last two games and thinks "fucking nice one, most possession two games in a row.  All those doubters can fuck off ThE sYstEM iS wOrkInG"?

The owners will not agree if it carries on without obtaining points. 

I wonder who they have on the succession plan if RM cannot get the team play winning possession football. 

• Like 1

Think people need to adjust their expectations. On paper, and by the bookies, we are this year's whipping boys.  We're going to lose most of our games. Just being competitive in games and still having a chance of points after 60mins play is an achievement here. So only losing 1-0 is pretty good, and the reason we are as high as 16th.

It's a long season before we get to win games in the championship again, if you are bedwetting now, what are you going to be like later in the season?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kermitzasaint said:

If you were offered a decent keeper, decent striker or a decent coach but you can only choose two of the three. What would you choose? 

Russell Martin lost us that game doing exactly what he is known for on his worst days. He is out of his depth and is completely unable to change a game. Once again the same subs, need a goal? Put on Edozie who carries zero threat. 

Only Dibling was dangerous purely because he isn't locked in to RM's cowardly football. 

Easy, a coach and a striker. The coach wouldn't insist McCarthy gets involved in tippy tappy football and he's a reasonable shot-stopper as he showed yesterday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pingpong said:

Think people need to adjust their expectations. On paper, and by the bookies, we are this year's whipping boys.  We're going to lose most of our games. Just being competitive in games and still having a chance of points after 60mins play is an achievement here. So only losing 1-0 is pretty good, and the reason we are as high as 16th.

It's a long season before we get to win games in the championship again, if you are bedwetting now, what are you going to be like later in the season?

I don't believe it is about adjusting expectations - most of us are realistic and accept we will be towards the bottom of the table. Only losing 1-0 against ten men and Forest is far from pretty good in my opinion especially the manner of yesterday's performance. In summary we don't expect to be above mid-table but we do expect to watch a well-coached side with a decent tactical plan that competes and gives us the chance of some victories - at the moment we are not seeing that and I get that it's only two games in but we all know RM will not change anything because he's continually told us that.

• Like 7

But we weren't competitive yesterday against a bang average Forest team. We managed to stay in the game not because we were playing well, but because Forest were slightly less gash than we were. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

But we weren't competitive yesterday against a bang average Forest team. We managed to stay in the game not because we were playing well, but because Forest were slightly less gash than we were. 

Indeed. The only thing close yesterday was the scoreline. In every other respect we were far inferior and on another day could get tonked. And that's against one of the less fancied teams in the division at home. 

• Like 4

So only losing 1-0 is pretty good, and the reason we are as high as 16th.

Fucking get in, 16th,  I’ll take that after 2 games…..if we maintain this form, we’ll stay up no bother. 

The reason we’re not lower isn’t because of any sort of tactical approach involving staying in games. It’s basically because we played 60 mins against 10 men & then a very average side at home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doctoroncall said:

The owners will not agree if it carries on without obtaining points. 

I wonder who they have on the succession plan if RM cannot get the team play winning possession football. 

Big concerns for me are who they might go for this time, who’s making the decision, and given their appointments to date if those involved  can be trusted to get it right.

Just to add - I think Charlton have won their first three, wonder if their bloke is worth a shout. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, saintant said:

I don't believe it is about adjusting expectations - most of us are realistic and accept we will be towards the bottom of the table. Only losing 1-0 against ten men and Forest is far from pretty good in my opinion especially the manner of yesterday's performance. In summary we don't expect to be above mid-table but we do expect to watch a well-coached side with a decent tactical plan that competes and gives us the chance of some victories - at the moment we are not seeing that and I get that it's only two games in but we all know RM will not change anything because he's continually told us that.

I didn’t hear much of this kind of comment last year when we were on a 20+ club record unbeaten run. Which started immediately after a 4 game losing streak.

You may not like it, but we have a manager and team (on the whole) learning to perform at a higher standard and this will take a little bit of time.

This knee jerk reaction every time we have a negative game or spell is pathetic.

It’s always easier to criticise than have patient and support something especially when you do not understand.

Having played at semi-pro level I see exactly what the plan is with playing out from the back. When it works it will provide positive results as long as we do it at a high enough tempo and are more clinic in the final third.

I believe Martin has the capabilities to be a success and as a weaker team in the league the supporters need to get behind the team even if we find the style frustrating and not to our taste.

it will make a big difference as it did in the West Brom play off game and years ago in our great escapes.

COYS

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

People also seem to forget we lost our first four fixtures last time we were promoted to the PL.  Our first home game was against Wigan(!), and we lost 2-0.  

There's a time to panic, but it ain't yet.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kermitzasaint said:

dibling did more in 10 minutes than the others did in the game,the fact he does his own thing and doesnt follow the backwards and sideways plan is the reason martin never starts him,absolute folly in my opinion.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, sledger said:

dibling did more in 10 minutes than the others did in the game,the fact he does his own thing and doesnt follow the backwards and sideways plan is the reason martin never starts him,absolute folly in my opinion.

Don't think you can criticise RM for not starting Dibling, yet.  Judged on his cameo yesterday though his time is coming rapidly - he is a young player Saints need to hang on to at all costs.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

I didn’t hear much of this kind of comment last year when we were on a 20+ club record unbeaten run. Which started immediately after a 4 game losing streak.

You may not like it, but we have a manager and team (on the whole) learning to perform at a higher standard and this will take a little bit of time.

This knee jerk reaction every time we have a negative game or spell is pathetic.

It’s always easier to criticise than have patient and support something especially when you do not understand.

Having played at semi-pro level I see exactly what the plan is with playing out from the back. When it works it will provide positive results as long as we do it at a high enough tempo and are more clinic in the final third.

I believe Martin has the capabilities to be a success and as a weaker team in the league the supporters need to get behind the team even if we find the style frustrating and not to our taste.

it will make a big difference as it did in the West Brom play off game and years ago in our great escapes.

COYS

So you saw the benefit of giving up our midfield, playing backwards slowly, playing our forwards on the very edge of the pitch with no central striker? You see the benefit of sticking to a system that's not working, making bizarre substitutions etc? 

Please tell me what the secrets are because RM has coached this style and pace into the team. You're saying it works when it patently doesn't. He isn't telling them to move faster. He isn't setting us up to have an effective striker. 

And yes, I didn't like him last season either. 

• Like 6

Yes, we are playing at a higher level, but this squad is pretty much the one that played Russball for a whole season in the Championship, so they should already know what he wants them to do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Polegategavin243 said:

Most of us can see that but yesterday, and to an extent against 10 man Newcastle, the ball was played slowly at walking pace sideways and backwards for long periods of time while the Forest defence had a cup of tea and a sandwich. Saints haven't been clinical in the final third for quite a while now.

Question is just how long the optimism will last if there's more of the same.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

So you saw the benefit of giving up our midfield, playing backwards slowly, playing our forwards on the very edge of the pitch with no central striker? You see the benefit of sticking to a system that's not working, making bizarre substitutions etc? 

Please tell me what the secrets are because RM has coached this style and pace into the team. You're saying it works when it patently doesn't. He isn't telling them to move faster. He isn't setting us up to have an effective striker. 

And yes, I didn't like him last season either. 

You’ve not decided to read my points and picked up on the point that proves your argument, even though I said we need to be better in the final third.

There is no way Russell is coaching the front 3 to stick to their positions regardless and we did not provide enough opportunities for AA or BBD to try to get on the end of.

this is a decision making issue not the style of play. Numerous times the playing out for the back broke through the Forest press but we were too laboured in the midfield to profit. To which Russell was getting frustrated.

The style is not the problem, the problem was the tempo and bravery once we got into the opposition half.

Other than KWP and Downes the players played with too much caution and fear and hopefully once Russell gets the team to analyse the videos to highlight this we will radically improve.

The alternative is what, lump the ball forward and hope we get a few chances from the knock down or defender hesitation. If that’s the case is that Welsh manager available?

• Like 1

I see the childish name calling has started on other threads. How adult of people.

Young manager who has never managed in the premier league loses 2 games against teams with experienced managers who have both spent an extreme amount of money on players in the past couple of seasons. Hardly a shock.

The team will look a bit different in a few games time as the recent, and likely new signings get in the side.

Edited by The Cat
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

I see the childish name calling has started on other threads. How adult of people.

Young manager who has never managed in the premier league loses 2 games against teams with experienced managers who have both spent an extreme amount of money on players in the past couple of seasons. Hardly a shock.

The team will look a bit different in a few games time as the recent, and likely new signings get in the side.

will the system? The set up yesterday was fucking tragic and smacks that the manager is way out of his depth

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Almost all PL managers are experienced at this level, and the 17 teams that survived last season have all spent shedloads over the last 2 seasons. We are the smallfry and paupers in comparison, we all know and understand that, but I expect at least some form of goal threat - playing at home, with the positivity that comes from promotion, against one of the lesser teams, without any discernible central attacking capability was certainly 'out of the box' thinking.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 4

i looked down from the northam and saw diaz standing on one touchline and armstrong on the other with nobody between them(neither strike me as wingers),was aribo meant to be a false nine(hes to slow to catch a cold),can someone please explain or do diaz and armstrong just dont like each other

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

will the system? The set up yesterday was fucking tragic and smacks that the manager is way out of his depth

Probably. We played differently yesterday to how we did last season so it shows that he will try different things despite what people think.

We don't know if he's out of his depth or not because he's only managed for 2 games in this league.

People are so quick to leap into a reaction. Look at last season, loads of doom posting, calling him all sorts of names and then what happens? We got promoted.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Polegategavin243 said:

COYS

As you played semi-pro level you must realise we are competing at a much higher level so last season doesn't mean much - also just because you played at that level has no bearing on whether you understand the game more than I do and it's a little arrogant to think you do. Learning RM's way I believe is not going to happen because we don't have players of a high enough skill set so we'll likely get relegated trying and then be back to square one next season with a different set of players trying to learn the system - we're in a Catch 22 situation. The next few matches will be interesting.

• Like 4

You’ve not decided to read my points and picked up on the point that proves your argument, even though I said we need to be better in the final third.

There is no way Russell is coaching the front 3 to stick to their positions regardless and we did not provide enough opportunities for AA or BBD to try to get on the end of.

this is a decision making issue not the style of play. Numerous times the playing out for the back broke through the Forest press but we were too laboured in the midfield to profit. To which Russell was getting frustrated.

The style is not the problem, the problem was the tempo and bravery once we got into the opposition half.

Other than KWP and Downes the players played with too much caution and fear and hopefully once Russell gets the team to analyse the videos to highlight this we will radically improve.

The alternative is what, lump the ball forward and hope we get a few chances from the knock down or defender hesitation. If that’s the case is that Welsh manager available?

How did RussBall work out in the Premier League last season for Burnley?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

As you played semi-pro level you must realise we are competing at a much higher level so last season doesn't mean much - also just because you played at that level has no bearing on whether you understand the game more than I do and it's a little arrogant to think you do. Learning RM's way I believe is not going to happen because we don't have players of a high enough skill set so we'll likely get relegated trying and then be back to square one next season with a different set of players trying to learn the system - we're in a Catch 22 situation. The next few matches will be interesting.

I played semi-pro as well.  Played with plenty of shite players.

Doesn’t make me Jimmy fucking Hill either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He talks about 'bravery' all the time, and he demands it from his players.

Where the feck is his bravery? The set up is weak and cowardly. 3/5 at the back at home to Forest, with the forwards hugging the touchlines - get over yourself.

Time for the manager to show a bit of bravery when we play fellow bottom half sides.....4231/433

Keeper (feck knows who)

Suga, THB, Bed, KwP/Taylor

Les, Downes

Dibling/Arma Fernandes Diaz/Sully

Archer/Stewart/New striker

Fuck me 2 holding midfielders is sooo soooper bwave of you. Arma as an 8 is just plain stupid. 

So, why does he wait until Forest scored to shake things up? Aribo and Smallbone were truly awful yesterday. Smallbone looks terrified everytime he gets the ball. We had no drive in midfield at all, well not until Dibling came on and at least tried to run with the ball, instead of getting rid of it and the first opportunity. 

• Like 9

Can't use the excuse of learning the style or getting his ideas across, he's been here a full season and two full pre-seasons now. 

I think Saints will stubbornly stick with him past January then panic and sack him when it's too late. He'll end up floating around championship/scottish jobs for his entire career. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Fuck me 2 holding midfielders is sooo soooper bwave of you. Arma as an 8 is just plain stupid. 

Why are you suggesting Armstrong is playing central midfield, because that would be ridiculous 

Other than that, great post

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 1

Though I'm not suggesting this would be pretty or is the way forward it would at least lead to more chances on goal than russ ball does. We look absolutely toothless upfront their goalie barely had a save to make and once they scored we never looked like equalising, one goal against us and teams can relax it's game over.

It's early days but unless we get different personnel up front or there's a dramatic shift in style and tactics it's going to be many games before we get any points on the board. 

5 hours ago, sledger said:

i looked down from the northam and saw diaz standing on one touchline and armstrong on the other with nobody between them(neither strike me as wingers),was aribo meant to be a false nine(hes to slow to catch a cold),can someone please explain or do diaz and armstrong just dont like each other

I still reckon we were destined for another season of championship football until RM changed two things. 1) The goalkeeper, and then 2) At the last away game at Leeds and then W.Brom, he seemed to stumble across the idea of 5 at the back with two being wing backs.

Why don't we revert to having wing backs and then get Diaz and AA to come in to a traditional no. 8 & 10 role? Diaz looks pretty one footed and am not convinced AA is going to make the grade at this level but at least give them a chance. Sticking them on the wing was pointless. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I played semi-pro as well.  Played with plenty of shite players.

Doesn’t make me Jimmy fucking Hill either.

Did any of your teams play with 2 strikers 60 yards apart hugging the touch lines - I’ll bet no because it’s fcking stupid. 
Stop trying to reinvent football and play to percentage I dont think we will be far off survival if we do.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I still reckon we were destined for another season of championship football until RM changed two things. 1) The goalkeeper, and then 2) At the last away game at Leeds and then W.Brom, he seemed to stumble across the idea of 5 at the back with two being wing backs.

Why don't we revert to having wing backs and then get Diaz and AA to come in to a traditional no. 8 & 10 role? Diaz looks pretty one footed and am not convinced AA is going to make the grade at this level but at least give them a chance. Sticking them on the wing was pointless. 

I think your understanding of what the 8 and 10 roles is not what they actually are.  Neither BBD or AA are anywhere near being an 8 or 10 type player.

BBD and AA looked so isolated when they received the ball on Saturday, with at least 2 or 3 Forest players between them and the goal, Smallbone nor Aribo were close enough, often enough, to make a bounce of or to run past drawing defenders away.  I hope / believe Fernandes adds more dynamism to our central midfield, we could also see Flynniesta given a more central midfield role once Les settles in to the CDM role which I think he's here for.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Diaz and AA are wide forwards, an 8 is another central midfielder really - it's the job Smallbone does (well, supposed to do) - receives the ball from the deeper CM, turns and plays in the number 10 or the wide forwards. I do think we need better than Smallbone there if I'm honest, so swapping him for Fernandes after a few weeks may be something we do. 

The 10 is also a position that needs significant work - we currently have Aribo/Charly/Dibling who sort of rotate in that role. Aribo is not good enough in my opinion. Charly is off, and then Dibling whilst a quality young player, cannot take the burden of being our only creative link player - so I'd expect with Charly going that we go for a number 10 to fill that role, which I think will automatically make us look better as we will be able to link the play. We obviously need another wide/winger type as well. Those are the two deals I see us doing (outside of the GK) - a number 10 to replace Charly and a wide man to replace what we've lost in Fraser/Brooks.

A number 9 whilst I still think we're desperate for it is seemingly not on the agenda - it would be another big bit of negligence, but with the right additions in the other areas we could potentially make something of the season.

• Like 3

As suspected by most Martin's style really isn't suited to the premier league it's boring and frustrating in equal measures, passing round in circles just so we can say we had more possession while every other area of our game suffers and we have the lowest shots on target of any team. It's like we are the poor man's man city without the personnel to deliver it surely he knows we don't have the right players? 

that said he is a nice guy and the players seems to want to do well for him and he's earnt his chance.... But is that enough for survival? 

• Like 4

On 25/08/2024 at 13:29, The Cat said:

Some of the Everton fans took their defeat at Spurs worse https://fanbanter.co.uk/video-emerges-of-everton-fans-abusing-their-own-players-after-arriving-back-from-tottenham-defeat/

The video should come with subtitles but none available unfortunately.

PS - Did I see Mason Holgate later on in that clip?

Maybe I’m getting older and it’s just me but seeing blokes my age standing at a busy train station calling people a cunt is a bit tragic to my mind?

Let’s see what this week brings but the style and patterns of play will need to vary a lot more than Saturday to be competitive. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Some of the Everton fans took their defeat at Spurs worse https://fanbanter.co.uk/video-emerges-of-everton-fans-abusing-their-own-players-after-arriving-back-from-tottenham-defeat/

The video should come with subtitles but none available unfortunately.

PS - Did I see Mason Holgate later on in that clip?

Maybe I’m getting older and it’s just me but seeing blokes my age standing at a busy train station calling people a cunt is a bit tragic to my mind?

Let’s see what this week brings but the style and patterns of play will need to vary a lot more than Saturday to be competitive. 

If ever there was a fanbase that needed to see relegation, it's Evertons. A few years in the Championship would be a good remedy for their entitlement.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Did any of your teams play with 2 strikers 60 yards apart hugging the touch lines - I’ll bet no because it’s fcking stupid. 
Stop trying to reinvent football and play to percentage I dont think we will be far off survival if we do.

Exactly this!!

We won’t have many winnable games this season. Forest at home was the first.. instead of being positive and going for it, building on the buzz of promotion..he decided to play the most absurd negative tactics.  

Forest couldn’t have had an easier game.

• Like 3