Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 hour ago, littledavewatson said:

First post since 2014, but regular reader so go easy on me here as it's a lengthy start..
I've never really watched Swansea and know nothing tangible about Russell Martin as a coach but went down a bit of a rabbit hole this morning in reference to the concerns around his mediocre league finishes, which I was also worried about.

I found the context behind it quite interesting.

19-20 - 1/2 season at MK Dons. Took over 21st, 3 points off safety and in a bad run. Finished 19th, 5 points clear. Got them safe and mild improvement.

20-21 - Lost their top scorer - squad got slightly younger with a few experienced heads. Finished the season 13th - 9 points off play-offs, 18 off relegation, applauded for their "style" but significant improvement on the previous year.

21-22 - Summer at MK, he signed Twine, Darling (both in Champ now) before leaving for Swansea in July post-Cooper, 2 weeks before the start of the season. Manning took over MK Dons and took the side to the play-offs. This season he lost both of those players, was sacked by Christmas and MK Dons finished 21st getting relegated. 

Swansea - Parachute payments stop and lots of wage-heavy (educated guess) outgoings. Lots of frees and loans, which I guess contributed to the "mutual consent" of Steve Cooper's end. Paid for Downes, Obafemi and Piroe. Finished 15th - which on paper doesn't look great as a position but lost a few players in the summer, including another top scorer in Ayew, and to add context (the Puel 8th on 46 points always bothered me) they had 61 points, which was 24 points off relegation. 

22-23 - Sold Downes to WHU for big profit and Obafemi in January, neither replaced with a fee (Joe Allen on a free and no new striker). Signed 2 x CB (Darling, Wood) and a few other youngsters who haven’t played a game yet and a few loans. Lost Obafemi in January (I know he's not Messi but wasn't replaced and played a lot). Finished 10th - 3 points off playoffs, 22 off relegation. An awful run post January and an unbeaten run to finish. The bad run is concerning but during that they lost to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5rd, 7th and 8th out of the 7 defeats in 9. 

Now looking at losing Manning (Champ TOTY), Latibeaudiere (supposedly rated, ex-City "Hi Jason") on frees and Joel Piroe (2 x top scorer) is in the last year of his deal with a number of rumoured suitors.

I'm not shouting his name from the rooftops, and I'm not crazy about any metrics SR will use to profile him. I'm the idealistic / unrealistic, throw the book at Potter type.

But I think, pulling back the curtain on the league finishes, he's done well under the respective circumstances. I'd far prefer him than a high profile ex-pro based off their playing career like Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Vieira etc. If we can't get the "reach for the stars" option I think he's not miles off next best. There seems to be some sort of background in stabilising then improving a team, that given our current off-field shitshow seems well suited. He has Champ experience as a coach, playing experience in the PL and plays a style of football that I personally would like to see and think (transfer dependent) could suit us. Outside of top-flight experience, I think he ticks a lot of boxes and if the speculation about having a big say in signings is true, seems to be able to spot a player (SR would love the profits) and would assumably have greater resources to do so. I am aware of the Nathan Jones water into wine likeness but A) he doesn't have a Stoke-esque failure on his CV at a larger club, B) I think we have to moderate expectations - this is probably the pool we're now swimming in and the time to go big was instead of NJ. C) For me, seeing an identity on the pitch that doesn't involve searching for the ball in the floodlights buys you some slack and D) he doesn't SEEM to be that type of deflective, immune to criticism narcissist that would alienate a fanbase after a couple of press conferences.

Thanks for that. Good read 

Hopefully no relatives who post on here, as that was painful last time, what a position to be in.  One plus is that as he is called Russell and is a vegan, Bhuddist, Green Party member from Brighton, the bingo machine eyes, tough mining town spiel and psychosis should be kept in check, relatively. 

10 minutes ago, manji said:

I think it’s bollocks just agents talk. Why would we announce it before Selles contact ends ?

If we did get Martin now Selles could sue Saints for constructive dismissal 😂

Now I am absolutely certain that Russell Martin is our new manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think I feel quite optimistic.

we have been pretty terrible in terms of implementing possession based tactics for an age now, but the last 3 coaches (at least) have had an out of possession based game.

If the information available from the interweb is to be believed, the coaching of a possession based game will be better, so actually be effective…

It can’t be any worse than what we have been watching this season, so anything to bring some enjoyment back has got to be a good thing…

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

This appointment makes no sense to me. Why go for someone from the same league as Jones was but has a worse record and achieved nothing?  It won’t work, again.

If it is Martin, he needs to start from scratch. A total overhaul. Discipline and arrogance is a major problem with this current set of players. I struggle to see how someone of Martin’s stature will overcome that.  Shame how Brentford were able to pull a Thomas Frank out of the hat and we’re lumbered with lower league fodder. Twice. 

You would’ve gone mental if we appointed Thomas Frank when Brentford did. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

This appointment makes no sense to me. Why go for someone from the same league as Jones was but has a worse record and achieved nothing?  It won’t work, again.

If it is Martin, he needs to start from scratch. A total overhaul. Discipline and arrogance is a major problem with this current set of players. I struggle to see how someone of Martin’s stature will overcome that.  Shame how Brentford were able to pull a Thomas Frank out of the hat and we’re lumbered with lower league fodder. Twice. 

Ah but if we'd hired Thomas Frank when they did it'd have been "he's only ever managed in Norway, never challenged for the title and has been out a job for two years".

Easy saying that now after his success, but Frank's only job before Brentford ended with his chairman abusing him on their version of SaintsWeb so he quit (legitimately).

He's not the worst option out there (see Gerrard or Lampard etc), but equally I would prefer Potter who IMHO would be the perfect fit. However, Potter can with some justification point to the basket case that is Chelsea and realistically get another job in the Premier League. 

We have to be realistic and remember how utterly shite we currently are and that the first job for any Manager is to restore clarity, calm and a sense of purpose. RM at least has convictions in how he wants to play but isn't a lunatic like Jones. If he wins a few games early on I think the fanbase will warm to him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, littledavewatson said:

First post since 2014, but regular reader so go easy on me here as it's a lengthy start..
I've never really watched Swansea and know nothing tangible about Russell Martin as a coach but went down a bit of a rabbit hole this morning in reference to the concerns around his mediocre league finishes, which I was also worried about.

19-20 - 1/2 season at MK Dons. Took over 21st, 3 points off safety and in a bad run. Finished 19th, 5 points clear. Got them safe and mild improvement.

20-21 - Lost their top scorer - squad got slightly younger with a few experienced heads. Finished the season 13th - 9 points off play-offs, 18 off relegation, applauded for their "style" but significant improvement on the previous year.

21-22 - Summer at MK, he signed Twine, Darling (both in Champ now) before leaving for Swansea in July post-Cooper, 2 weeks before the start of the season. Manning took over MK Dons and took the side to the play-offs. This season he lost both of those players, was sacked by Christmas and MK Dons finished 21st getting relegated. 

Swansea - Parachute payments stop and lots of wage-heavy (educated guess) outgoings. Lots of frees and loans, which I guess contributed to the "mutual consent" of Steve Cooper's end. Paid for Downes, Obafemi and Piroe. Finished 15th - which on paper doesn't look great as a position but lost a few players in the summer, including another top scorer in Ayew, and to add context (the Puel 8th on 46 points always bothered me) they had 61 points, which was 24 points off relegation. 

22-23 - Sold Downes to WHU for big profit and Obafemi in January, neither replaced with a fee (Joe Allen on a free and no new striker). Signed 2 x CB (Darling, Wood) and a few other youngsters who haven’t played a game yet and a few loans. Lost Obafemi in January (I know he's not Messi but wasn't replaced and played a lot). Finished 10th - 3 points off playoffs, 22 off relegation. An awful run post January and an unbeaten run to finish. The bad run is concerning but during that they lost to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5rd, 7th and 8th out of the 7 defeats in 9. 

Now looking at losing Manning (Champ TOTY), Latibeaudiere (supposedly rated, ex-City "Hi Jason") on frees and Joel Piroe (2 x top scorer) is in the last year of his deal with a number of rumoured suitors.

I'm not shouting his name from the rooftops, and I'm not crazy about any metrics SR will use to profile him. I'm the idealistic / unrealistic, throw the book at Potter type.

But I think, pulling back the curtain on the league finishes, he's done well under the respective circumstances. I'd far prefer him than a high profile ex-pro based off their playing career like Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Vieira etc. If we can't get the "reach for the stars" option I think he's not miles off next best. There seems to be some sort of background in stabilising then improving a team, that given our current off-field shitshow seems well suited. He has Champ experience as a coach, playing experience in the PL and plays a style of football that I personally would like to see and think (transfer dependent) could suit us. Outside of top-flight experience, I think he ticks a lot of boxes and if the speculation about having a big say in signings is true, seems to be able to spot a player (SR would love the profits) and would assumably have greater resources to do so. I am aware of the Nathan Jones water into wine likeness but A) he doesn't have a Stoke-esque failure on his CV at a larger club, B) I think we have to moderate expectations - this is probably the pool we're now swimming in and the time to go big was instead of NJ. C) For me, seeing an identity on the pitch that doesn't involve searching for the ball in the floodlights buys you some slack and D) he doesn't SEEM to be that type of deflective, immune to criticism narcissist that would alienate a fanbase after a couple of press conferences.

Hey Rasmus, had no idea you posted 8 years ago. Was that about the time we played Mittijaad in the Europa league? Good to see you’re back your new man 👍

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Is it ok to reserve judgement on the appointment until I've seen a fair number of matches or do I need to signify overwhelming delight or utter dejection now?

No. You have to say he’s amazing or shit NOW and if you’re post is proven to be inaccurate prepare to be quoted in six months time

• Haha 10

14 minutes ago, Appy said:

You would’ve gone mental if we appointed Thomas Frank when Brentford did. 

We weren't where Brentford were then, and we're not where Brentford were then, now  either.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

No. You have to say he’s amazing or shit NOW and if you’re post is proven to be inaccurate prepare to be quoted in six months time

6 months? Normally takes about 6 minutes on a match day thread before someone is called out for getting something unbelievably wrong.

It's Friday and I'm in a good mood so I'm going to say that this is the perfect managerial appointment and he is going to lead our inevitable charge back to the Premier League in one season. In fact we'll be so good that the EFL will decide in February to just automatically promote us to spare the other clubs we have left to play the indignity of club record defeats.

3 hours ago, egg said:

Selective stats. You forget to mention that only 4 championship teams conceded more goals than Swansea, and that 3 of those got relegated. The bloke seems incapable of coaching a solid defence.

Spoke to a Swansea supporter today who said exactly this about Martin. (Made same criticism of Martinez though, although I think this was borne out by various pundits after he went to the Everton).

General observation was that he was not fussed whether RM stays with them or not, apart from it might give them some stability going into next season. Apart from that , acknowledged 'he plays some pretty football from time to time... but falls apart conceding stupid goals. Said he'd lost count of the number of times the GK playing it out from the back has put them under pressure or they conceded.

Frankly, he could have been describing us as we are or have been over the last 12 months.

In Rasmus we trust of course.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Hopefully no relatives who post on here, as that was painful last time, what a position to be in.  One plus is that as he is called Russell and is a vegan, Bhuddist, Green Party member from Brighton, the bingo machine eyes, tough mining town spiel and psychosis should be kept in check, relatively. 

So, have we really come to these as our only options:

vegan, Bhuddist, Green Party member from Brighton  v , the bingo machine eyes, tough mining town spiel and psychosis

Await the newly signed up tree hugging vegans on the Forum.

Perhaps we should have a poll, not sure who'd win.

PlanetRasmus#

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Streaky said:

Not sure what our fans expect from a championship club but Russell Martin is one of the better options out there who would actually want to come here and sort this shit out.

Depends on the ambition of our owners, board, and how they 'sell' the club to the prospective new manager/head coach.

Sit back, we're about to find out.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

vegan, Bhuddist, Green Party member from Brighton  v , the bingo machine eyes, tough mining town spiel and psychosis

PlanetRasmus#

Couldn't care less if he's an alien shape-shifting lizard.

If he gets us playing decent footy then he'll do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

You honestly think that then? 

Mental Manji hasn’t got a clue, Davey boy. 

We’re gonna be stuck with Martin. Be amazed if we make the play offs. 

• Like 1

I still can't quite get my head around these events: 

1. Signed players and stuck with a Manager that they wanted to sack but didn't despite him also playing opposite to their vision.  Allowed signed players to be coached into that Hasenhuttl style.

2. Sacked Hasenhuttl and appointed a long ball merchant who is again against the vision.

3. Appointed a DoF to align with vision of possession based football (although he doesn't start until this summer).

4. Sacked long ball merchant and appointed a coach who reverted back to the Hasenhuttl way of playing to try and give us the best chance of staying up.

Which makes me wonder...had Jones kept us up, what the fuck would they have done?  Sacked him anyway? 

Edited by Lallana's Left Peg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, littledavewatson said:

Bro post more regularly, balanced, context and commonsense all in 1 post I thought it was illegal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

Thomas Frank, that well established name that was assistant to Dean Smith and got promoted when Smith left? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

I still can't quite get my head around these events: 

1. Signed players and stuck with a Manager that they wanted to sack but didn't despite him also playing opposite to their vision.  Allowed signed players to be coached into that Hasenhuttl style.

2. Sacked Hasenhuttl and appointed a long ball merchant who is again against the vision.

3. Appointed a DoF to align with vision of possession based football (although he doesn't start until this summer).

4. Sacked long ball merchant and appointed a coach who reverted back to the Hasenhuttl way of playing to try and give us the best chance of staying up.

Which makes me wonder...had Jones kept us up, what the fuck would they have done?  Sacked him anyway? 

Wilcox was signed because of his experience of multi-club models not necessarily because of a possession based system but I think the idea was to move away from the high press and into something more manageable long term (season wise). Possession I ‘believe’ has now been settled on more due to our relegation 

Not that I’m disagreeing, the footballing strategy has been fucking abysmal 

• Like 1

I want to be positive - I really do - but this playing out from the back malarkey might suit Barca and M City, but for clubs with mediocre footballers it’s suicidal. 
If this is Martin’s chosen style then it will end in tears and things are going to get a lot worse. Swansea fans comments have been illuminating. They don’t seem that bothered about losing him and that tells me loads. He seems like a nice bright bloke but not sure he’s the man to resurrect us. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

PlanetRasmus#

Russell Martin after game 6

“I could have stayed in Brighton, married another vegan, switched gender and become a member of extinct rebellion, lovely”

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

6 months? Normally takes about 6 minutes on a match day thread before someone is called out for getting something unbelievably wrong.

It's Friday and I'm in a good mood so I'm going to say that this is the perfect managerial appointment and he is going to lead our inevitable charge back to the Premier League in one season. In fact we'll be so good that the EFL will decide in February to just automatically promote us to spare the other clubs we have left to play the indignity of club record defeats.

Bookmarked 

13 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I want to be positive - I really do - but this playing out from the back malarkey might suit Barca and M City, but for clubs with mediocre footballers it’s suicidal. 
If this is Martin’s chosen style then it will end in tears and things are going to get a lot worse. Swansea fans comments have been illuminating. They don’t seem that bothered about losing him and that tells me loads. He seems like a nice bright bloke but not sure he’s the man to resurrect us. 

The comments I posted above might suggest otherwise….

3 hours ago, littledavewatson said:

Good post. I still don't want him to be our Manager though.

26 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Exactly this but I'll reserve final judgement until we've seen the pre-season. 

3 hours ago, littledavewatson said:

Its a great post, Ive done a fair amount of reading myself and I think he’s a good manager, certainly better than a lot of the bedwetters in here believe

But.. that said… I STILL think we have a huge task on our hands next year with an on field/off field rebuild so I am a little concerned that we’ll have Rasmus, a relatively inexperienced DoF in Wilcox and a manager thats never managed a club with our level of expectation

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Its been great for Brighton and worked nicely for Burnley last season.

Of course if its coached/executed badly it will fail, as will any style of play.

Martin has 2 years experience in the actual league we will be in, plus another two in the EFL more broadly. He has pretty much always been operating on a low budget and with us will be one of the biggest.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

After the last 2 appointments I want to be inspired by this one. If I'd been a Burnley fan at the start of last season I would have been inspired. If we appoint Martin I absolutely won't be and yet again be left feeling 'oh well, see how it goes I suppose'.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Two Swansea fans’ views. Somewhat more positive. “Southampton gave a great manager and fantastic person, but a long contract with assurances is needed to succeed.”

IMG_5187.jpeg

You can counter that with this tweet and all the comments below it suggesting we could be in for another season of crab football.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Russell Martin