The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

Just now, Baird of the land said:

It's almost as if you have no idea that other countries have functioning governments that still enact laws under PR.

And there are many that are perpetually unstable. As defective as fptp is, it gives consistently stable (even if shit) governments. 

36 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

It's almost as if you have no idea that other countries have functioning governments that still enact laws under PR.

You realise we don’t have PR?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Did Liz Truss really try and claim that the Tories' 14 years of failure was all the fault of the previous Labour government? :mcinnes:

You must excuse her as she is clearly deranged

5 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Did Liz Truss really try and claim that the Tories' 14 years of failure was all the fault of the previous Labour government? :mcinnes:

'In our 14 years in power we did not do enough to tackle the legacy we had been left'.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

First order on the list, get someone serious in as Foreign Secretary and all is looking decent

So is  David Lammy is taking over from Diane Abbott as the new hate target?

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

So is  David Lammy is taking over from Diane Abbott as the new hate target?

No, just someone serious please. We will see if the PM agrees with me over the next 6 months or so.

Great to see Nige finally get a seat, and he proved to be a man of his word by decimating the Tories. Pleased for Tice as well, he could have thrown his toys out of the pram when Nige returned but knuckled down & got his rewards. Glad to see that twat Elwood getting binned in Bournemouth & pleased for IDS, although that was a bit of a fluke. He could have easily settled for a place in the lords, but stood up to be counted. 

Although I don’t share his politics, Parliament needs people like Jon Ashworth so it’s disappointing he’s lost to some Gaza loon. As someone who wishes the sweaties would fuck off, I’m dissatisfied with the SNP efforts as well. 

locally, fuck me, I’ve got a labour MP. I  posted yesterday that a couple of polling station workers said something was happening locally, but never in a million years did I think  we’d get a labour MP. A combination of taking voters for granted, Reform standing a paper candidate who didn’t really campaign & didn’t even live in Poole, and the complete fucking shafting Poole has had following the Tory led BCP merger, has cost Sir Robert his cushy seat. Although I posted if Symes is worried the Tories really are in trouble, it is quite unbelievable. Still, in a strange way it’s restored more faith in our democratic process. The bloke, the local party, & the local Tory council, did fuck all the 28 years I’ve been here, thinking  they didn’t need to. I think they know differently now. Nige has been fighting against FPTP for a number of years, but on this I fundamentally disagree with him. Local people sending someone to Westminster to represent them is the purest form of democracy imo. Let’s see if this Labour bloke can do something for the Town & stick up for us. Fucking hell if he sorts out a new bridge to replace the ridiculous white elephant we’ve got at the moment, even I might vote for him in 2029. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No, just someone serious please. We will see if the PM agrees with me over the next 6 months or so.

What about Lammy makes you think he isn't 'serious' ?

2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

This is a great outcome as me and my wife work in the public sector. I only joined the NHS in 2020 and all I have heard is that things are better in the public sector under a Labour government. My wife is a secondary teacher and 2010 she had only been teaching for 2 years, so never experienced much under a Labour government. But things at the NHS and education have never been as bad as they are now, and hearing the story’s from people that have been in the public sector for 20/25 years, that we have played down do ring true. Ok it’s never going to perfect but Labour will support the public sector more than the Tory’s ever will. 

They are in now by whatever means, and have a chance to make a difference. But you will never ever please everyone or anyone 100%

The best support the government could give the NHS is to get rid of it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If Starmer didn’t think that Lammy wasn’t “serious” he wouldn’t have made him shadow Foreign Secretary would he?

16 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

If Starmer didn’t think that Lammy wasn’t “serious” he wouldn’t have made him shadow Foreign Secretary would he?

Perhaps he means that Lammy could embarass the country on the world stage, I wouldn't disagree.

36 minutes ago, iansums said:

The best support the government could give the NHS is to get rid of it.

You can't just drop that one liner and run, your going to have to say what should replace it and how/why it would be better after the change?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iansums said:

Perhaps he means that Lammy could embarass the country on the world stage, I wouldn't disagree.

The last PM left his hand picked unelected Foreign Secretary on a D-Day beach a few weeks ago and you are worried about something that might embarrass us on the international stage?  I could list all the other times a Tory politician mad us look stupid on an international level in the last 14 years but it would take to long at least give the new guys a chance.

• Like 3

I don’t know about the world stage, but he embarrassed himself on Mastermind, and who can forget the infamous “we haven’t seen a policeman round here”. 

Anyway, today is not the day, the population has spoken & Starmer has been given the mandate to choose his foreign sec. Let him at least start the job before piling in. 

28 minutes ago, iansums said:

Did you feel embarrassed by Johnson, Truss on the world stage?

3 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

You can't just drop that one liner and run, your going to have to say what should replace it and how/why it would be better after the change?

I admit to not being an expert but we should at least look at an alternative way of funding healthcare and moving towards a privatised system, like on the continent and before you say it, no, not like the US system. IMO the NHS is no longer fit for purpose and is hugely inefficient.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

The last PM left his hand picked unelected Foreign Secretary on a D-Day beach a few weeks ago and you are worried about something that might embarrass us on the international stage?  I could list all the other times a Tory politician mad us look stupid on an international level in the last 14 years but it would take to long at least give the new guys a chance.

Not particuarly worried about it and I made no mention of previous politicians.

21 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

I love the way you tell me what I can't and then what I have to do.😀

2 minutes ago, iansums said:

I admit to not being an expert but we should at least look at an alternative way of funding healthcare and moving towards a privatised system, like on the continent and before you say it, no, not like the US system. IMO the NHS is no longer fit for purpose and is hugely inefficient.

Like where on the continent?

I’ve seen Spanish healthcare up close and it’s absolutely brilliant compared to here, completely night and day, and free at the point of use.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iansums said:

Johnson, most definitley.

But not Truss 😲

4 constituencies have sent these people to Parliament -

Farage, Tice, Lowe & 30p Lee

Just let that sink in for a moment.

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

But not Truss 😲

Fine with me, I voted Reform.

But not Truss 😲

They helped destroy the nasty Tories, yet you are still going on about them 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Like where on the continent?

I’ve seen Spanish healthcare up close and it’s absolutely brilliant compared to here, completely night and day, and free at the point of use.

Perhaps we need the Spanish to run our system then.

Edited by iansums
typo

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

And have those foreigners coming over here and taking our jobs?

What a conundrum.

No problem with that, they'd be contributing wouldn't they.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They helped destroy the nasty Tories, yet you are still going on about them 

Nige stood his troops down in ‘19 & the result was a 80 odd seat majority. He’s decimated the Tories this time, done more to damage them since Tony Blair & James Goldsmith,  yet he’s still on his high horse. 

One silver lining, at least he’ll STFU about PR for 5 years. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

28 minutes ago, iansums said:

Fine with me, I voted Reform.

I’ll give you credit for owning up to it. There are some who don’t (out of shame I expect).

Out of interest, why? Doesn’t it bother you that the leader is a fanboy of Trump, Putin and the likes of Andrew Tate and you must have seen some of the awful people standing as candidates.

If there are no changes it is a pretty solid front bench. They certainly have their work cut out for them but give the impression that they will hit the ground running.

59 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

😲

Democracy is a bitch.

Posted (edited)

I’m not knocking democracy. I do wonder about why some people think voting for certain people is a good idea though. The millions who vote for Trump being a prime example.

Do the people of Clacton think that Farage is going to spend any of his time dealing with their issues? Perhaps they are happy that they are being used for his own ambitions, which is fine if they are.

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1

I’m not knocking democracy. I do wonder about why some people think voting for certain people is a good idea though. The millions who vote for Trump being a prime example.

Are you not concerned that people voted for Count Binface, thinking it was a good idea. Or the thousands that voted for pro-Gaza independents ? At least we only have 4 MPs of that ilk, France could easily end up with worse actually running the country.

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Do the people of Clacton think that Farage is going to spend any of his time dealing with their issues? Perhaps they are happy that they are being used for his own ambitions, which is fine if they are.

Have a day off FFS. You got the result you wanted, be happy for a day and stop going on about Nigel Fucking Farage. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Have a day off FFS. You got the result you wanted, be happy for a day and stop going on about Nigel Fucking Farage. 

You give it large in here every day but don’t have the balls to tell us who you support politically. Your choice of course but it does make you look a bit of a wuss.

As for my posts, as I have said before, if you don’t like them, don’t read them. Be honest, you just seek them out so that you can have a go at me. You are a grown man obsessed with a complete stranger on an internet forum. How do you think your family would feel if they know how you spend your days?  What’s the problem? Not getting enough attention from you CoT?

Tell me something, there have been far more posts slagging off our managers than a politician, but you never slag off those who do it. Plenty of people here slag off Farage but you ignore them. You seriously need to have a think about your behaviour mate.

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You give it large in here every day but don’t have the balls to tell us who you support politically. Your choice of course but it does make you look a bit of a wuss.

As for my posts, as I have said before, if you don’t like them, don’t read them. Be honest, you just seek them out so that you can have a go at me. You are a grown man obsessed with a complete stranger on an internet forum. How do you think your family would feel if they know how you spend your days?  What’s the problem? Not getting enough attention from you CoT?

Tell me something, there have been far more posts slagging off our managers than a politician, but you never slag off those who do it. Plenty of people here slag off Farage but you ignore them. You seriously need to have a think about your behaviour mate.

Forgotten im on ignore again have we. Absolutely full of shit 🤡

As for being obsessed with a stranger on an internet forum, dont flatter yourself. What would your family think if they knew you spent your days starting arguements on football forums about crowds at Glastonbury and posting relentlessly about Nigel Farage? What a way to spend your retirement :lol:

Well done idiots, so many of you voted and now you have to live with your awful choice.

Bloody disgraceful behaviour from the voters if you ask me.

It's plain to see who the winner should have been.

Gareth Gates should have beaten Will Young on Pop Idol back in '02. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1