The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

16 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

My BiL couldn't vote this morning, he was refused at the polling station, because he didn't have photo id, he's says he's never voting again. That's good because he's a Reform supporter.

Every cloud…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

My Brexit voting mate texted this morning moaning that higher taxes and more immigrants are coming and that he wants to move to Spain. FFS.

If only he had freedom of movement 🤔

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You should have asked for a transfer to Liverpool.  I imagine that sort of shit happens all day up there.

Are you suggesting Liverpool residents are especially civic duty minded citizens willing to get involved in preventing crime? 

Edited by buctootim

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

in London today on business, The cabbie has voted Tory as he said better the devil you know......

I'd always choose to share a cell with a notorious serial killer over a shoplifter I'd never heard of. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

My BiL couldn't vote this morning, he was refused at the polling station, because he didn't have photo id, he's says he's never voting again. That's good because he's a Reform supporter.

This is probably his only chance to vote Reform tbf. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I worked in a polling station once. Incredibly boring after first few hours. Would have loved a bogus voter and a fight to liven things up 

I voted at lunchtime. Went in and 8 administrators and one voter speaking to one of them. I went to one who looked bored out of her skull and was told to get in the queue behind the other chap. Quintessential British experience 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

in London today on business, The cabbie has voted Tory as he said better the devil you know......

Fuck me he will be in the minority. Those cunts are universally Reform. 

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I guess that means there is absolutely no way on Earth he could be married to someone from the EU and have freedom of movement then.

Not doubting you, but seems really odd to vote for Brexit if it makes your other half's life more difficult.  

3 minutes ago, whelk said:

I voted at lunchtime. Went in and 8 administrators and one voter speaking to one of them. I went to one who looked bored out of her skull and was told to get in the queue behind the other chap. Quintessential British experience 

Ha. I think its probably for security reasons. They have division of labour so one person doesnt do all the jobs  - ie record the names, hand out the ballots and look after the boxes. 

I voted at lunchtime as well.  Not very many other people voting and seen it busier in other elections.  Given I'm in a true blue stronghold I'm taking that as a good sign.  I do know two traditional tory voters in my constituency - one is a diehard tory and has decided not to bother, the other has voted Labour because of the National Service proposal.

18 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Not doubting you, but seems really odd to vote for Brexit if it makes your other half's life more difficult.  

How do you think Farage voted ?

22 minutes ago, buctootim said:

My other half is Polish. Given the opportunity she would most definitely have voted for Brexit. Maybe she's just bitter that she had to pay circa £1k for her visa in the 90's whilst everyone else gets in for free?

I'm off work with a nasty bout of Covid, but earlier today I dosed myself up to the eyeballs to give me the energy I needed to force myself up to the polling station and hammer in my own nail to the Tories' coffin.

Wouldn't have mattered, because I live in the safest of safe Labour seats, but still it's the principle.

Doing My Part GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 5

They have moved our Polling Station, and the number of people who weren't taking their polling cards and went to the wrong church. There was no visible indication of the move until you got to the Catholic church, which is hidden away behind some shops.

( And no, we did have our cards and weren't fooled ).

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

My other half is Polish. Given the opportunity she would most definitely have voted for Brexit. Maybe she's just bitter that she had to pay circa £1k for her visa in the 90's whilst everyone else gets in for free?

Fair enough. I would have thought they'd want friends and family or even elderly parents to come and work or live easily.    

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm off work with a nasty bout of Covid, but earlier today I dosed myself up to the eyeballs to give me the energy I needed to force myself up to the polling station and hammer in my own nail to the Tories' coffin.

Wouldn't have mattered, because I live in the safest of safe Labour seats, but still it's the principle.

Doing My Part GIF by MOODMAN

you're much hotter than I expected. 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

With 8 staff, it was probably a double polling station (two local stations co-located in one building). All of those staff will be there for 16+ hours as there's no way of predicting busy times. Pay is not much more than minimum wage (which is fair, given that there are usually long quiet periods) The process means that each worker does one part of the procedure at any one time, hence needing to employ a single queue system.

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I guess that means there is absolutely no way on Earth he could be married to someone from the EU and have freedom of movement then.

Who’s the contrary one now? 😂

I went to offer the lady my driving licence but she said, “It’s alright, I recognise you from last time.” 

Was anyone approached by an exit poller and did you tell them the truth?

Staggered by the number if people I've spoken to today who've said they'll decide when they're in the booth. Getting a vote and playing eeny meeny miny moe at the last minute seems odd to me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, egg said:

Staggered by the number if people I've spoken to today who've said they'll decide when they're in the booth. Getting a vote and playing eeny meeny miny moe at the last minute seems odd to me. 

TBH I always put those people down as Tories but unwilling to admit it. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Fair point!! 

6 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, this.

My 79 year old mum is a lifelong Daily Mail reading Tory voter. Over recent years, she has grown increasingly disillusioned with 'this current lot', and acknowledged a grudging respect for our local Labour MP. But when I have tried to talk to her about the election recently, she closed up again, saying she didn't want to talk politics. I take this to mean that she has fallen hook, line and sinker for the narrative the Mail have been repeating about Starmer planning to raid her pension, and despite everything that's happened over the last 14 years, she will have still voted Tory today because that's what she has always done and she can't bring herself to accept that the entire lifetime of anti-Labour propaganda she has subjected herself to might not have been entirely truthful.

At least I know it will have been a wasted vote come tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We voted for our imcumbent, partly because she has been very involved in local issues with the condition of the roads and it would be a pain to have to take a step backwards to start breaking in a new face.

Edited by badgerx16

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

We voted for our imcumbent, partly because she has been very involved in local issues with the condition of the roads and it would be a pain to have to take a step backwards to start breaking in a new face.

Out of interest, is the incumbent standing for the party who you'd like to see govern? My incumbent is Caroline Nokes who I know and respect as a person, for her morals, and hard work in the community. That all said, I could never vote for her because of the party she represents. 

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

d34e7548-a8e0-4f4f-b01a-2db481a19ee1_text.gif.cf920d59051f2e17d4aa2dd7522a995d.gif

Just now, egg said:

Out of interest, is the incumbent standing for the party who you'd like to see govern? My incumbent is Caroline Nokes who I know and respect as a person, for her morals, and hard work in the community. That all said, I could never vote for her because of the party she represents. 

Coincidentally, yes. 🙂

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

Fair enough. I would have thought they'd want friends and family or even elderly parents to come and work or live easily.    

Her mum is already here - her husband got citizenship after the war.

Her son was included in her visa application so has ILR as well.

The rest of her family are hill Billy's drinking moonshine in rural Poland - although none would qualify as "immediate" family to be granted a visa now anyway, but could have moved if they wanted to with no restrictions between 2005 and 2019.

There’s definitely something therapeutic about taking a stroll down to the polling station and sticking an X in the box. Now just 2.5 hours to go until the exit poll and we can find out just how much of a kicking the Tories have taken. Wine is open with plenty spare just in case.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

There’s a club in town where a woman dressed in leather will chain you up and you vote Tory together. So I’m told by a friend.

Posted (edited)

Just nipped round to vote. Told I’d already voted, which I hadn’t. Luckily I knew one of the birds there who said she’d seen my son & Snap Dragon earlier , double checked and some dope had marked me off instead of son. Shambles. 

She’s been working polling day for years & said they’d been “ very busy”. Older sons Mrs is working another polling station & she told him it’s the busiest of the 3 GE’s she’s worked. Bit strange if there’s a big turnout  as Sir Robert has a 19k majority, was a Brexiter & was quite hardline anti lockdown, so in line with a lot of the voters round here. Despite being a bit of an arse, and a fucking yes man, don’t see what’s driving the apparent possible  large turnout. If he’s in trouble, the Tories will end up with about 50 seats. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

17 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I voted Lib Dem….I like their vibe…

IMG_0712.jpeg

To make light of Ed Davey’s concerns for his son you have to be a massive cunt

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Golactico said:

With 8 staff, it was probably a double polling station (two local stations co-located in one building). All of those staff will be there for 16+ hours as there's no way of predicting busy times. Pay is not much more than minimum wage (which is fair, given that there are usually long quiet periods) The process means that each worker does one part of the procedure at any one time, hence needing to employ a single queue system.

Sounds like you have been involved but exactly and wasn’t a criticism

51 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

There’s definitely something therapeutic about taking a stroll down to the polling station and sticking an X in the box. Now just 2.5 hours to go until the exit poll and we can find out just how much of a kicking the Tories have taken. Wine is open with plenty spare just in case.

It’s whether to try an have a nap between Sunderland/Newcastle results and start again at 2am or sit through endless analysis of the same results for over 2 hours.

Day off tomorrow so can’t fucking wait

36 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I voted Lib Dem….I like their vibe…

IMG_0712.jpeg

Davey is a massive cock Womble but there’s no need for the son dig. 

All I’ve read for years is how we need adults in the room, how we need serious politicians to address serious issues. Yet this  fucking clown has got away with the most pathetic low grade campaign in living memory. Pound shop Boris who only got away with it because he’s on the “right” side. Fucking hell from Jo Swinsons massive tits, to a massive tit. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Davey is a massive cock Womble but there’s no need for the son dig. 

All I’ve read for years is how we need adults in the room, how we need serious politicians to address serious issues. Yet this  fucking clown has got away with the most pathetic low grade campaign in living memory. Pound shop Boris who only got away with it because he’s on the “right” side. Fucking hell from Jo Swinsons massive tits, to a massive tit. 

Whilst I don't completely disagree I have to say that having looked into Ed davey I do quite like him as a person. A disabled son and wife with Ms and apparently an orphan from a young age he seems like someone in politics for the right reasons even if I disagree with a lot of lib Dem policies. Personally I wish him well. 

• Like 5