The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s a bit generous. They would have gone along with anything to get their feet under the cabinet table. Osborne & Cameron wouldn’t have gone much further even with a majority, they were closer to the Orange book Liberals than they were to the Tory membership. Personally, I supported that period of mild austerity, but if it was as wicked as some claim, the Lib Dems could have stopped it, but preferred the trappings of office. What’s worse, implementing a policy  because you believe it to be right, or doing it because it’ll get you cabinet places.

Their austerity included significant cuts to policing and key was not just numbers but a large chunk of the wisdom and experience keen to get their pensions early with huge pay offs. Farcical the party of law and order, and good custodians of the public purse now trumpeting how they are funding so many new officers- replenishing the numbers these useless cunts thought we could do without. Pissing tax payers money away and some stupid fucks think they were tackling ‘back office  waste’

Edited by whelk
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They didn’t have a majority, they needed Lib Dem’s to get anything done. You know them, the ones you’re “impressed “ with.

What do you think about the impressive Ed Davey enabling austerity? That was a political choice as well. 

Wasn’t that Nick Clegg? I think I have said many times that I stopped voting LibDem when they “enabled” the shit show that followed.

Keep up.

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Wasn’t that Nick Clegg? I think I have said many times that I stopped voting LibDem when they “enabled” the shit show that followed.

Keep up.

Davey had his fat arse on the Gov benches. 

Just heard that Sunak has not ruled out working with Farage in the future.

Quick question, what is more relevant and concerning, that Starmer used to serve in a shadow cabinet under Corbyn years ago or that Sunak hasn’t ruled out  working with the leader of a party that attracts fascists and racists and who himself is racist, in the future?

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Just heard that Sunak has not ruled out working with Farage in the future.

Quick question, what is more relevant and concerning, that Starmer used to serve in a shadow cabinet under Corbyn years ago or that Sunak hasn’t ruled out  working with the leader of a party that attracts fascists and racists and who himself is racist, in the future?

Some would say, with a degree of justification, that Churchill was racist.

Farage may appeal to more extreme elements, but in our democracy even those people are entitled to a voice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Nothing to do with the Treasury. Cameron and Osbourne called the shots.

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Some would say, with a degree of justification, that Churchill was racist.

Farage may appeal to more extreme elements, but in our democracy even those people are entitled to a voice.

Agree about Churchill but those were different times. Dear old Winnie would have been cancelled long ago if he was an MP these days.

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Nothing to do with the Treasury. Cameron and Osbourne called the shots.

What a load of old pony. Davey could have voted against budgets, refused to have his fat arse in a ministry limo or resigned the whip. He made the political choice to support austerity. 

53 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I guess Sunak's plan must be to bring back the lost Reform votes and move a little less to the right, once they're back.

After all, if you believe some folk, Starmer worked his way through an antisemitic Labour party he really wanted to distance himself from as far as possible, so he could move them from their extremes.

Or is this yet another example of it being fine if it's the side being agreed with, and horrid if it's the side that isn't agreed with? 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
typo
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I guess Sunak's plan must be to bring back the lost Reform votes and move a little less to the right, once they're back.

After all, if you believe some folk, Starmer worked his way through an antisemitic Labour party he really wanted to distance himself from as far as possible, so he could move them from their extremes.

Or is this yet another example of it being fine if it's the side being agreed with, and horrid if it's the side that isn't agreed with? 🙂

Like Sunak moved a little less to the right by making Suella Braverman Home Secretary? He has been played by the Tory right ever since he became PM. How do you think he would fare against Farage?

Going back to austerity, it was a political choice, although it backfired on Osborne, who had his political career terminated by May after it came back to clobber and terminate Cameron’s Premiership like a  🪃 through Brexit. If austerity hadn’t have disproportionately impacted the services used most of all by the bottom 20% of society and policies which hurt them e.g. bedroom tax, the referendum result, whilst not being a massive win for Remain, was likely to be different.

So whilst austerity didn’t directly hurt this household, it did choke off growth but we had the economy to weather it in in the long-run. However, what it unleashed afterwards with the referendum and Brexit, a very hard one at that, has had a serious impact on our quality of life and polluted the country, in more ways than one. Losing 4-5% of our economy, and getting worse, HAS had a major and irreparable impact. 

Politically, it also ushered in a generation of morons such as Boris and Truss who really went to town on destroying the economy and country, the latter making 1975-9 look like a picnic by comparison. Sunak is miles out his depth but he’s not made the severance with that wing by expelling Truss et al and it’s made the damage terminal plus the campaign bloopers. 

BTW, we’ve got more of it come after July whoever wins, to go with the overall tax take still rising. 

Back to the election, liking this poll from a Lib Dem perspective. Duck will like it too with Reform predicted to take 5 seats including Richard Holden’s now in Essex. Given his behaviour in nabbing that candidacy, there’s a Reform victory I’ll certainly raise a glass to if it materialises in practice. Still hard to believe Sunak would be overturned in his own seat… https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rishi-sunak-lose-tory-wipeout-poll-53-mps-b2565451.html

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Tony Lee, the head of Sunak’s election campaign and husband of a Tory MP being investigated for betting on the election date, has now taken leave of absence.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/laura-saunders-second-conservative-candidate-facing-betting-probe-is-married-to-partys-head-of-campaigns-13155879

With a number of donors pulling their funding the Tories need to raise campaign funds from somewhere.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

IMG_8059.jpeg

Jovan's right though, there aren't any prominent black MPs in either of the main parties, and we can only dream of the day when a 'person of colour' is appointed to either the Government or Oppoition front benches. As for becoming Prime Minister, the stuff of fantasy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

There were rumours flying around all day before he finally went singing in the rain.

I'll wager most of those bets were made because of those rumours rather than insider knowledge. They even named the date before it was announced.

20 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

20 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

2 years as Minister responsible for the Post Office at the height of the Horizon scandal.

Just spotted that Davey is due to appear at the Post Office Inquiry on 18th July. Handy for him that it's not before the GE I guess...

35 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Bloody hell man, you are fixated with Farage! 

At least it’s only on this thread, not the climate one, Isreal and every other frigging discussion.  Talk about shoe horning, you’ll be discussing him on the Baz one next, although to be fair he’d probably be as good as Baz in nets. 

43 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You are fixated with Farage. Just seen you going in and on about him on the uglies

One post and that was in response to someone claiming that he is not a racist. Sounds a bit Baby Reindeer of you Batman?

7 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

One post and that was in response to someone claiming that he is not a racist. Sounds a bit Baby Reindeer of you Batman?

Quick, someones talking about Farage on the internet, must go and get involved in the discussion 🤣🤡

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Just spotted that Davey is due to appear at the Post Office Inquiry on 18th July. Handy for him that it's not before the GE I guess...

There wasn’t anywhere near as much knowledge about what the PO had covered up - the Second Sight report came out July 2013 and was smothered until 2014/15 https://www.postofficescandal.uk/post/the-second-sight-interim-report/

Jo Swinson and Paul Scully on the other hand had full access to it and much more awareness.

Not saying Davey couldn’t have probed further but a lot of the evidence wasn’t in plain sight in the same way.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

9 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

There wasn’t anywhere near as much knowledge about what the PO had covered up - the Second Sight report came out July 2013 and was smothered until 2014/15 https://www.postofficescandal.uk/post/the-second-sight-interim-report/

Jo Swinson and Paul Scully on the other hand had full access to it and much more awareness.

Not saying Davey couldn’t have probed further but a lot of the evidence wasn’t in plain sight in the same way.

Fair point 👍

5 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

May 2009..…….

First-Computer-Weekly-Post-Office-articl

This was 5 years after Alan Bates first contacted CW, the journalists waited until they were confident the story 'stood up'.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Good lad, Nige in ale house. Fuck me, then there’s this melt watching the “footy”.

7D5E6710-BE57-4395-B8AF-2AC047BA2F6D.jpeg

Bloody hell. You are obsessed with Farage! 🤣

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Good lad, Nige in ale house. Fuck me, then there’s this melt watching the “footy”.

Thats not the best comparison, being as Starmer still plays 5 a side (or definitely did up to a year or two ago).

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

At least it’s only on this thread, not the climate one, Isreal and every other frigging discussion.  Talk about shoe horning, you’ll be discussing him on the Baz one next, although to be fair he’d probably be as good as Baz in nets. 

He'd just need to open his mouth wide and it would fill the nets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Thats not the best comparison, being as Starmer still plays 5 a side (or definitely did up to a year or two ago).

He still looks like a fucking prick in that white shirt. I played 11 a side until I was nearly 50, doesn’t make me PM material. Pound to a penny he calls it Footy as well.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Genuine question- would you rather fuck Farage or be pegged by Thatcher?

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He still looks like a fucking prick in that white shirt. I played 11 a side until I was nearly 50, doesn’t make me PM material. Pound to a penny he calls it Footy as well.

Maybe he goes to watch the footy down the local “alehouse”? :lol: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

The stupid cunt think the Dulwich college boy is a football fan. One born every minute

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ok Walter of course you did.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Maybe he goes to watch the footy down the local “alehouse”? :lol: 

Laughable that his oh so quaint terms make him an object of ridicule yet hones in on ‘ footie’ as if he is the cool kid 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Its a plain white t shirt. Quite an odd thing to get worked up about.

Pound to a penny ‘Nige’ knows the square root of fuck all about football. He's previously said he’s not a football man, a cricket man. Yet there here is in the alehouse cheering our boys. Admittedly quite a few people are easily hoodwinked into thinking that Nige is a man of the people and for the people.

• Like 4