The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I took the unwise decision to agree with him on something yesterday. More fool me. 

If you don’t want to engage with me you don’t have to. No one is holding a gun to your head. And you can tell the other bloke that no one is running scared of him. He really isn’t that important. I have amended my ignore list while the election is on because I am curious as to how the usual suspects view it. I have no curiosity at all about his views.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

If you don’t want to engage with me you don’t have to. No one is holding a gun to your head. And you can tell the other bloke that no one is running scared of him. He really isn’t that important. I have amended my ignore list while the election is on because I am curious as to how the usual suspects view it. I have no curiosity at all about his views.

i would suggest it’s more to do with the fact every time you’ve had a pop at me for the last few years you’ve made yourself look an utter mug. Also that I had your number years ago and now other people are waking up to what you are. 

What a coward 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, egg said:

Reform are not far right. The Tories have mostly moved right of centre and Reform are pretty much filling the gap to the right of them. Some of their policies will appeal to many, and as a left of centre man, I don't subscribe to many of their policies but I can see their appeal and certainly don't see them as some kind of neo nazi brigade. 

Abhorrent political views, left or right, are equally entitled to criticism. 

The Tories have always been a broad church, that’s why they’ve been so successful in elections. People banging on about Patel & Bravamen ignore the fact the chancellor & Foregin sec are soaking wet pinkos. 

The membership is far further to the right than the PP, and reform are on that particular wing. Most Tory MP’s are either a Maggie tribute act or a social fucking democrat. The PP have caused this destruction & mayhem, and unless they get some conservative thinkers coming forward they’re fucked. I hope they’re wiped out & a proper right wing party emerges from the wreckage. 

• Haha 2

Sounds like the ITV interview that Sunak flew back early for went horrendously, so it’ll likely be another Disaster-Day on Wednesday. Also King Chuck is furious with Sunak, and so is Cameron. Times article link but free to view this weekend.

https://www.thetimes.com/article/66bdd856-cdc5-434b-a092-97379e9c73f4?shareToken=3167b211358c194b0c48225357dbe127

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The Tories have always been a broad church, that’s why they’ve been so successful in elections. People banging on about Patel & Bravamen ignore the fact the chancellor & Foregin sec are soaking wet pinkos. 

The membership is far further to the right than the PP, and reform are on that particular wing. Most Tory MP’s are either a Maggie tribute act or a social fucking democrat. The PP have caused this destruction & mayhem, and unless they get some conservative thinkers coming forward they’re fucked. I hope they’re wiped out & a proper right wing party emerges from the wreckage. 

Yep. Zero seats please. 

• Like 4

You’ve got to hand it to Rishi, he’s done an amazing job.

A huge bulk of the country hate him because of the damage he’s done to the country.

Conservatives hate him because of the damage he’s done to the party.

Well done sir.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yep, hopefully the Tories lose this election and blame it on not being right wing enough.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Yep, hopefully the Tories lose this election and blame it on not being right wing enough.

Genuinely don’t see where they go from this. Reform aren’t going away and are occupying the ground to the right. Labour have gobbled up the centre. Tories can either go after the right wingers or the centre but I’m struggling to find a strategy where they can do both. 

It’s a pickle and no mistake. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Genuinely don’t see where they go from this. Reform aren’t going away and are occupying the ground to the right. Labour have gobbled up the centre. Tories can either go after the right wingers or the centre but I’m struggling to find a strategy where they can do both. 

Yeah will be tough for them and they'll probably go through a couple of leaders before they realise ideology doesn't win elections.  Doesn't really help them that the more voter friendly big name Torys were either kicked out or decided to jack it in because they were mostly remainers.  Personally I'm quite looking forward to Boris and Nigel fighting each other over the fetid corpse they've left behind.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah will be tough for them and they'll probably go through a couple of leaders before they realise ideology doesn't win elections. 

Again, I genuinely can’t see where they go from here. Sunak is surely off as soon as the election is over but then who do they elect? Absolutely nothing that screams of leadership material. Shapps wants it but he’s a completely useless bellend. Penny wants jt but whenever she opens her gob she just shows how thick she is. Cruella, Patel, utterly hideous and genuinely repellent to the public. And Jeremy Cunt, an absolute nobody.

They could try bringing in frog faced Nigel but, as much as he’s popular with a minor percentage of the population, he’s an absolute turn off to the rest. Same for big dog, the hopeless cunt.  Bad Enoch is a complete dimwit too and she’s considered a leading light.

Struggling to see where their next leader comes from, they all look completely fucking hopeless. 

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Again, I genuinely can’t see where they go from here. Sunak is surely off as soon as the election is over but then who do they elect? Absolutely nothing that screams of leadership material. Shapps wants it but he’s a completely useless bellend. Penny wants jt but whenever she opens her gob she just shows how thick she is. Cruella, Patel, utterly hideous and genuinely repellent to the public. And Jeremy Cunt, an absolute nobody.

They could try bringing in frog faced Nigel but, as much as he’s popular with a minor percentage of the population, he’s an absolute turn off to the rest. Same for big dog, the hopeless cunt.  Bad Enoch is a complete dimwit too and she’s considered a leading light.

Struggling to see where their next leader comes from, they all look completely fucking hopeless. 

If it’ll probably be a shoot out between Shapps, Penny or Hunt. I’d go for or. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If it’ll probably be a shoot out between Shapps, Penny or Hunt. I’d go for or. 

Don’t forget about Priti Patel. Lighthouse isn’t, he bought an extra large box of Kleenex for the election campaign and he hasn’t even broken the seal yet on the box due to the lack of sightings. At least let the bloke have some opportunity to do so in the weeks after 4 July during the leadership campaign.

There you go Lighthouse, to get you started, she looks particularly stern in this article and the headline says ‘aggressive’ https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8077495/Aggressive-Priti-Patel-threw-briefing-folder-officials-face.html

Cant stand her myself but let it not be said that I don’t do anything to help my fellow Saints fans

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I doubt whoever they bring in is going to matter much, while they sort out their idealogical crises during some wilderness years.

In that time they will have Reform's votes to win back, while possibly lurching to the right and then back again. If Reform don't amount to anything lasting, getting a broad church back might be quicker.

Their next leader who matters probably isn't from the current lot. But will be someone who comes forward when people get sick of Labour being as bad and their internal fighting.

Posted (edited)

Don’t read the Mail but apparently Boris used ‘Sir Kier Schnorrer’ which Robert Peston confirmed is an offensive Yiddish term in the Jewish community for beggar and scrounger. He also from the screenshot used the word gimp. Brexit was a fuck up Boris, your fuck up, you never ‘got Brexit done’, I’ll criticise Sunak on many things but you left him a horrific mess on that topic, and the next government will be cleaning it up further.

And to think many Tories want this obese lazy, bigoted (see umpteen examples), oaf to be out campaigning. 

When I think about the unreasonable pile on Ed Davey suffered as well, I want to see the Tory Party destroyed.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 4

Given that Keir Starmer’s wife is Jewish it makes the slur even more unpleasant. Will he get labelled as antisemitic? Probably not. No one said a word about Islamophobia when he made offensive remarks against Muslims.

Surprised that no one picked up on Farage’s racist slip of the tongue. When talking about Sunak’s gaff in returning early from France, he said that Sunak “doesn’t have our instincts.” That would be the same Rishi Sunak who was born and raised here Nige.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Given that Keir Starmer’s wife is Jewish it makes the slur even more unpleasant. Will he get labelled as antisemitic? Probably not. No one said a word about Islamophobia when he made offensive remarks against Muslims.

Surprised that no one picked up on Farage’s racist slip of the tongue. When talking about Sunak’s gaff in returning early from France, he said that Sunak “doesn’t have our instincts.” That would be the same Rishi Sunak who was born and raised here Nige.

says the man who looked at a Brown MP and assumed she was/is an immigrant.....Fecking hell, you are obsessed by Farage....

Edited by AlexLaw76

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Fecking hell, you are obsessed by Farage....say the man who looked at a Brown MP and assumed she was/is an immigrant.

It is an election. He is the leader of one of the parties. 
Brown MP?  Would that be a brown MP whose parents were immigrants when I was making a point about their policy on immigration. You really need to do better Delldays. 

Before voting for any of these chancers, I can thoroughly recommend James O’Brien’s book, How They Broke Britain. A well researched dissection of how we got where we are today.

• Haha 1

Just now, sadoldgit said:

It is an election. He is the leader of one of the parties. 
Brown MP?  Would that be a brown MP whose parents were immigrants when I was making a point about their policy on immigration. You really need to do better Delldays. 

Before voting for any of these chancers, I can thoroughly recommend James O’Brien’s book, How They Broke Britain. A well researched dissection of how we got where we are today.

You said she was an immigrant. Based on assumptions, which were due to the colour of her skin

We all read it. Your xenophobia was on full display (again).

I (and others) would do very well to give O'Brien a massive wide-berth. More so after his championing of a pure lunatic (which he has never apologised for).

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You said she was an immigrant. Based on assumptions, which were due to the colour of her skin

We all read it. Your xenophobia was on full display (again).

I (and others) would do very well to give O'Brien a massive wide-berth. More so after his championing of a pure lunatic (which he has never apologised for).

Do you condemn Johnson's remark as anti-Semitic ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Brilliant isn't.

Part of the problem is that the right of the party has been emboldened by their recent success with Brexit and see an opportunity to move the centre of gravity in the party more to the right. You have idiot commentators calling moderate conservatives 'pinkos', completely ignoring the fact that the big two parties are pre-packed coalitions, they have to bring all elements of the party along with them to get into power. The big two can ignore the fringe furthest from the centre, happy that they have no where to go, but you abandon the centre ground at you peril.

Luckily for Labour, the Reform Party exist and this drags the centre of gravity rightwards, by giving the Tories trouble on that flank and a legitimate place for people of that inclination to go to, so the Tories have to accommodate more right wing opinion.

The problem the Tories is that those on the right, who may have felt ignored for years are enjoying the gravity shift, the ego boost and the opportunity for revenge and by doing something they ignore the big church stuff that has served their power machine so well for decades/centuries. Shrink the breadth of ideas, shrink the party's appeal. 

This is a problem of their own making, the power machine has spent those decades/centuries developing a receptive client media where they can test run any of their ideas. Labour haven't got this, they can only voice a narrow band of ideas before they get punished. The downside of this is that the right wing stuff gets legitimate air time and it has given an ecosystem for these ideas to thrive. Add to this the acceptance of the Tufton Street think tanks and you have trouble on your flank.

I am sure that Reform will continue to cause problems on the Tories with immigration, net zero and culture war stuff and the Tories will respond with a rightwing leader for a bit, one of the names. But they will perform badly and the power machine will remember that they like being in power more than being ideologically pure and a more moderate figure will appear who will rebuild the big church. Just like Labour did after JC. Johnson will see himself as that man but I think he is cooked. I do see the Tory's accepting green policies as their way back to the center.

Alternatively the right of the party won't want the centre of gravity to shift back and a schism appears. They cut off the centre of the party, to go and dilute Labours central pitch. We might even see a push for proportional representation, complete abandonment of the pre-packed coalitions.

Interesting times, the ripples from Brexit continue. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Do you condemn Johnson's remark as anti-Semitic ?

Not read them and have no interest in dong so. This election is a done deal, everything else is theatre, where the major parties are just trolling us all.

I will not be voting for either of the 2 parties, but that decision was made ages ago

Edited by AlexLaw76

Not read them and have no interest in dong so. This election is a done deal, everything else is theatre, where the major parties are just trolling us all.

I will not be voting for either of the 2 parties, but that decision was made ages ago

So that's a no then.

Righto !

• Like 2

Two questions.

Do you think it's a done deal because Labour are so far ahead or because some deep world force has already decided on the outcome?

Was that decision made by you or your handler.

• Haha 1

Just now, badgerx16 said:

So that's a no then.

Righto !

I could not care less what he said, or what Raynor says, or what the pointless Ed Davey says.

I had the debate on the other day (with the 7 of them), the ladies shouting at each other, some guff about Great British Energy, someone pointless saying to solve kids stabbing each other is to have a mental health councillor in each school, someone who said that parties who do not deliver their manifesto promised should be held accountable (yet swerved it when challenged about her own party not delivering what they promised), no idea what the Welsh bloke was about and the most impressive person was the SNP bloke, but he then wants unlimited immigration and I can't vote for them.

I will have a look to see if there is a 'Count Bin Face' type standing when my postal vote arrives, and give them the X

6 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Two questions.

Do you think it's a done deal because Labour are so far ahead or because some deep world force has already decided on the outcome?

Was that decision made by you or your handler.

The latter on both, obviously 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I could not care less what he said, or what Raynor says, or what the pointless Ed Davey says.

I had the debate on the other day (with the 7 of them), the ladies shouting at each other, some guff about Great British Energy, someone pointless saying to solve kids stabbing each other is to have a mental health councillor in each school, someone who said that parties who do not deliver their manifesto promised should be held accountable (yet swerved it when challenged about her own party not delivering what they promised), no idea what the Welsh bloke was about and the most impressive person was the SNP bloke, but he then wants unlimited immigration and I can't vote for them.

I will have a look to see if there is a 'Count Bin Face' type standing when my postal vote arrives, and give them the X

It is a simple 'yes/no' question that only requires you to read the post above and make a binary choice; is that phrase anti-semitic ?

If the post had read 'Apparently SOGgy said....... you would be all over it.

Hypocrite.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

It is a simple 'yes/no' question that only requires you to read the post above and make a binary choice; is that phrase anti-srmitic ?

If the post had read 'Apparent SOGgy said....... you would be all over it.

Hypocrite.

I rarely comment on Soggy, and only do so on HIS views that we have all seen.

Edit - BoJo was being anti-semitic.....now what?

Edited by AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

That wasn't so difficult, was it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Nice little edit there, otherwise it would have looked like you were only bothered about anti semitism when soggy comes out with it.

• Like 2

Just now, revolution saint said:

Nice little edit there, otherwise it would have looked like you were only bothered about anti semitism when soggy comes out with it.

Only a nice little edit as within 20 mins of someone suggesting I read something and comment on it, I read it and commented on it.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, The Kraken said:

They should push for proportional representation. Nobody likes our current politics because you get this centrist blob to try to appeal to everyone that doesn't stand for anything. 

Proportional representation means that suddenly your vote matters again and it's worth voting for people you actually believe in rather than tactical voting or having no one to vote for if you're in a safe constituency. How does a lefty feel in Clacton at the moment knowing they have no one to vote for? Or a more right leaning voter in Liverpool? It's not right. 

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

They should push for proportional representation. Nobody likes our current politics because you get this centrist blob to try to appeal to everyone that doesn't stand for anything. 

Proportional representation means that suddenly your vote matters again and it's worth voting for people you actually believe in rather than tactical voting or having no one to vote for if you're in a safe constituency. How does a lefty feel in Clacton at the moment knowing they have no one to vote for? Or a more right leaning voter in Liverpool? It's not right. 

Careful. SOGgy will be agreeing with you.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Just had the Greens deliver their election leaflet - they say they will hold the new Labour Government to account. Every bullet point is ''we will push Labour hard to...'', ''...pressure Labour to...'', or ''call on Labour to...’'.

''We can't win, so vote for us''.

Edited by badgerx16

11 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Just had the Greens deliver their election leaflet - they say they will hold the new Labour Government to account. Every bullet point is ''we will push Labour hard to...'', ''...pressure Labour to...'', or ''call on Labour to...’'.

I guess they've given up already. Pretty pointless them existing if they don't believe they can win!

31 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Cant see that happening myself.  Labour know it’s not in their interests to do it. Plus we had the shambles of the alternative vote referendum under the coalition. I’d be in favour of PR but the main parties aren’t and I’m not even sure if the overall population would go for it if it was put to a vote, polling on PR suggests at the very least that it would be close.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Cant see that happening myself.  Labour know it’s not in their interests to do it. Plus we had the shambles of the alternative vote referendum under the coalition. I’d be in favour of PR but the main parties aren’t and I’m not even sure if the overall population would go for it if it was put to a vote, polling on PR suggests at the very least that it would be close.

52:48 ?

25 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

FPTP suited the big 2, it gave them the mandate and there were prepared to lose periodically to get power all to themselves.

A centralist blob exist because you have to govern for the whole country and a consensus has developed on how to do that. If you want to do something outside of that, you don't get to win. 

What PR does is give, is the other parties the ability to inform policy, just like the unionist did with May.

Bring it on. i would go big, get rid of the Westminster seats for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and do something on a federal basis and reform the HoL.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

And, as my wife has just pointed, out the Greens' leaflet is printed on paper that cannot be put in our recycling bin.

Maybe they are signalling it would be different if the Greens were in power, 4d chess.

Edited by Fan The Flames

43 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Careful. SOGgy will be agreeing with you.

I would certainly agree with the need for PR but would prefer to see more centrist “blob” parties than the likes of UKIP, BNP. Sadly, with a more democratic system it gives a voice to more loonies, xenophobes and flag shaggers as well as the more well balanced people. 

Just now, sadoldgit said:

I would certainly agree with the need for PR but would prefer to see more centrist “blob” parties than the likes of UKIP, BNP. Sadly, with a more democratic system it gives a voice to more loonies, xenophobes and flag shaggers as well as the more well balanced people. 

Pulls the loons out of the main parties and lets their arguments speak for themselves.

• Like 1