The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

2 hours ago, egg said:

To make it worse, the interview isn't being aired until Wednesday. Complete lack of respect and judgement. 

At least has now come out and apologised. Makes a change from doubling down

Posted (edited)

Could not attending the commemoration at Omaha Beach be taken as a slight on the Americans ? Also, leaving the way clear for Starmer to be photographed glad handing Zelensky was a PR cock-up.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Given the fuss over the claimed £2000 tax increase over the term of a potential Labour Government, SKY News have estimated the increase over the term of the outgoing Tory Government as £13000 per household.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

It’s going really well for the guy who thinks we should bring back national service. Cos everyone should do their bit, yeah?

IMG-0092.jpg

Almost staggering in its incompetence like he's just given up and doing it on purpose. Literally the only thing that the tories may have had over Labour in this election is that they are more patriotic and he's fucked that as well. I thought the historic loss for the tories was slightly overstated but I'm not so sure now. 

• Like 1

A pretty tame QT last night apart from the Tory guy when asked about the importance of integrity then went on to repeat the lie about the £2k tax rise.

I thought that Carla Denyer came across well.

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Almost staggering in its incompetence like he's just given up and doing it on purpose. Literally the only thing that the tories may have had over Labour in this election is that they are more patriotic and he's fucked that as well. I thought the historic loss for the tories was slightly overstated but I'm not so sure now. 

He rushed back, not because he has given up, but because he was desperate to stick to the £2000 line. It was getting air time, it was rallying the foot soldiers and he and his central team wanted the interview to keep pushing the message. Completely over looking the optics.

This is Sunaks 'Ed Stone' moment, good intentions but a fuck up.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Could not attending the commemoration at Omaha Beach be taken as a slight on the Americans ? Also, leaving the way clear for Starmer to be photographed glad handing Zelensky was a PR cock-up.

I don’t know who is advising Sunak, but it is almost as if they are doing their level best  not to get him elected.

• Like 1

Swinney seems an improvement on previous SNP leadership. Well done for calling out Sunak’s £2k tax lie and what it says about their integrity.

• Like 3

Apart from anything else the 2000 lie is just disingenuous in its lack of clarity.

£2000 per household, over 4 years, is only £20 a month for me.

£2000 in total is only 0.003p per person. It would take over a thousand years before it would cost me a penny.

£2000 per year, per person, which is what they want you to think, is a very different thing...

Posted (edited)

Sunak has just said that his itinerary was set weeks ago before the election was called which means that he originally planned to come back from the D-Day activities early. What was he originally going to do instead of the last minute interview with ITV that he came back for?

He is telling us not to politicise the situation. Why did he come back early? To film a political interview.

He really isn’t very good at politics (or lying).

The party must be thinking, as disastrous as ditching him before the election might have seemed earlier, they would have been better of doing so.

Only the Mirror ran with the story today. How will the Mail, Express, Telegraph and Sun deal with it tomorrow, if at all?

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Sunak has just said that his itinerary was set weeks ago before the election was called which means that he originally planned to come back from the D-Day activities early. What was he originally going to do instead of the last minute interview with ITV that he came back for?

He really isn’t very good at politics (or lying).

The party must be thinking, as disastrous as ditching him before the election might have seemed earlier, they would have been better of doing so.

I don't think that is true. Remember all his statements that the election would be in the second half of the year ? I suspect he had pencilled in July 4th months ago, with an outline campaign timetable, and the D-Day commemorations simply did not matter much to him. As I read somewhere this morning, he does not understand what being Prime Minister actually means.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

He rushed back, not because he has given up, but because he was desperate to stick to the £2000 line. It was getting air time, it was rallying the foot soldiers and he and his central team wanted the interview to keep pushing the message. Completely over looking the optics.

This is Sunaks 'Ed Stone' moment, good intentions but a fuck up.

Yep, and any advantage they gained is now well and truly eroded into the negative after yesterday. It’s a long enough campaign to take a day with world leaders to commemorate, and it’s the last chance to mark D-Day with survivors, I’ve heard what he’s said to Sam Coates on Sky but I don’t think he still realises the full meaning to the public. It actually makes the £2k item a bit more grubby now after the Treasury pushback and Clare Coutinho being caught out. He got his punch in at the debate but all people will think of now when the ITV interview is screened is that he wasn’t where he should have been.

Mercer letting him have some pelters https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/rishi-sunak-grilled-over-decision-to-leave-d-day-ceremony-early_uk_6662dcb8e4b0bf0f81652e84

Farage in particular will be into this slip up with relish. Starmer getting photographed in discussions with Ukraine PM will rub further salt into the wound. Interesting, I heard on Times Radio that apparently You Gov changed their analysis methodologically just before Farage announced he was standing. Using the old method, it would leave Tories and Reform tied on 18% each they were saying. Best he can do after this episode is finish ahead of the LDs on seats and Reform on the popular vote. Astonished that I’m saying this but not sure either or both those are a given right now.

Edit - apparently Angela Rayner’s brother served in Afghanistan. Does Penny now defend using her own naval career tonight, pushing Sunak under the bus further? Would boost her own ambitions post-GE, and maybe first and foremost holding her seat in a military place.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I don't think that is true. Remember all his statements that the election would be in the second half of the year ? I suspect he had pencilled in July 4th months ago, with an outline campaign timetable, and the D-Day commemorations simply did not matter much to him. As I read somewhere this morning, he does not understand what being Prime Minister actually means.

Maybe, but you would hope that his advertisers would tell him that it be a bad look to leave early. The more you think about it the stranger it becomes. His robotic response in his apology didn’t help.

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Maybe, but you would hope that his advertisers would tell him that it be a bad look to leave early. The more you think about it the stranger it becomes. His robotic response in his apology didn’t help.

What can he do ? He knows he is on track to have the most disastrous election campaign of any Tory leader in history. He is out of his depth and waiting in the condemned cell for his appointment with destiny. Nothing more than a rabbit in the headlights.

• Like 2

Just now, badgerx16 said:

What can he do ? He knows he is on track to have the most disastrous election campaign of any Tory leader in history. He is out of his depth and waiting in the condemned cell for his appointment with destiny. Nothing more than a rabbit in the headlights.

At this point I reckon he’d just be best off holing himself up in Downing Street and waiting it out until the election. He’s the inverse Midas, everything he touches turns to shit. I reckon there’s every chance there’s legs in this theory about him contemplating not attending D Day at all, Sam Coates questioning him about it seemed to be basing it off of something. If there’s any sort of paper trail and he’s lied again then he’s fucked it completely.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Using the old method, it would leave Tories and Reform tied on 18% each they were saying. Best he can do after this episode is finish ahead of the LDs on seats and Reform on the popular vote. Astonished that I’m saying this but not sure either or those are a given right now.

Nigel on the debate tonight, he’s going to have a fucking field day. Reform must have infiltrated Tory central office, he’s making Mother Theresa look strong & stable. 

Their whole strategy has been around older voters & keeping them away from Nigel & in one afternoon they’ve fucked it. If Big Dog came out for Reform today, I honestly believe they’d end up with more seats than The Tories now & the official opposition would be between, Lib Dem’s & Reform. They’ve somehow managed to hit the sweet spot of pissing of the pinkos, and The Right, as well as the poor old foot soldiers who are posting leaflets & canvassing. 

Nigel wanted a Canadian style wipe out, much more of this and it’ll become reality . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Nigel on the debate tonight, he’s going to have a fucking field day. Reform must have infiltrated Tory central office, he’s making Mother Theresa look strong & stable. 

Their whole strategy has been around older voters & keeping them away from Nigel & in one afternoon they’ve fucked it. If Big Dog came out for Reform today, I honestly believe they’d end up with more seats than The Tories now & the official opposition would be between, Lib Dem’s & Reform. They’ve somehow managed to hit the sweet spot of pissing of the pinkos, and The Right, as well as the poor old foot soldiers who are posting leaflets & canvassing. 

Nigel wanted a Canadian style wipe out, much more of this and it’ll become reality . 

John Curtis was talking about reform on times radio the other day - reckoned Reform would probably need to be considerably ahead of Conservatives in order to challenge them on seats because reform tend to have support spread fairly evenly throughout the country.  Wouldn't surprise me if they got close or exceeded share of national vote though which in itself would be an incredible achievement for them.

Can't remember the name of the fella but conservative commentator on Newsnight was talking about what would happen if Reform edge in front of Tories in an opinion poll - can see that happening especially as Farage is probably the only game in town tonight.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t think that Farage will find it so easy tonight. Rayner and Flynn don’t take prisoners. Hopefully this is the point where the election really takes off.

I imagine Nigels tactics will be that labour & The Tories are 2 cheeks of the same arse, and only Reform can offer real opposition to a labour super majority. If Raynor goes after him, it’ll play right into that narrative. If Penny joins in as well, so much the better for the cause. 

It’s a big moment for Nigel, can he get the Big Mo going after a horrendous couple of days for the Tories. Let’s face it, people who hate him, will hate his performance & vice versa, but they won’t matter. If he can get Brexit voting Tories & people who voted Tory for the first time in ‘19 onside,then that’s a win. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I imagine Nigels tactics will be that labour & The Tories are 2 cheeks of the same arse, and only Reform can offer real opposition to a labour super majority. If Raynor goes after him, it’ll play right into that narrative. If Penny joins in as well, so much the better for the cause. 

It’s a big moment for Nigel, can he get the Big Mo going after a horrendous couple of days for the Tories. Let’s face it, people who hate him, will hate his performance & vice versa, but they won’t matter. If he can get Brexit voting Tories & people who voted Tory for the first time in ‘19 onside,then that’s a win. 

NO matter what happens, SOG will post about the horrendous Farage performance, afterwards

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I won’t be watching, the leaders debate was bad enough. But I’ll definitely be interested to read the feedback on the approach Penny will take.  Let’s face it, she’s not all that bright (looks good holding a sword) but she’s certainly got designs on the leadership. Will she defend Sunak? I don’t think she’ll go out of her way. I don’t think she’ll throw him under a bus, probably something like “it was wrong that he left early and it was right that he apologised”. But in general I wouldn’t mind betting that Penny will be looking after herself rather than the party tonight.

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

NO matter what happens, SOG will post about the horrendous Farage performance, afterwards

NO matter what happens, Delldays will post about the marvellous Farage performance, afterwards

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Maybe, but you would hope that his advertisers would tell him that it be a bad look to leave early. 

Mental that anyone would need advisors to tell them that. What exactly was going through his mind when he jumped in his limo leaving Starmer with Zelensky, Biden and co at such an important and poignant event?

• Like 2

Dan Hodges is a Tory lickspittle but even he’s getting fully stuck in and raises an actual good point.

There are only two explanations. The itinerary was set before the election date was known. In which case Sunak literally couldn’t be bothered to stay and just wanted to come home early. Or the itinerary was set afterwards. In which case he chose to put politics above the veterans by coming home for the interview.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

I won’t be watching, the leaders debate was bad enough. But I’ll definitely be interested to read the feedback on the approach Penny will take.  Let’s face it, she’s not all that bright (looks good holding a sword) but she’s certainly got designs on the leadership. Will she defend Sunak? I don’t think she’ll go out of her way. I don’t think she’ll throw him under a bus, probably something like “it was wrong that he left early and it was right that he apologised”. But in general I wouldn’t mind betting that Penny will be looking after herself rather than the party tonight.

I hope she talks about fighting and what happens when people fight 

• Haha 3

Farage will try and get mileage out of Sunak and D Day fuck up but you just know Farage would have been nowhere near the actual D Day if he were at the age. He would have cowardly found a ‘non elite’ Harley Street doctor to sign him off with flat fleet. Same breed as Trump and pity the poor sods that don’t see it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

won’t be watching, the leaders debate was bad enough

An England friendly or the debate. Which will be the least depressing?

Sod’s Law. There has been a boundary change where I live. We were previously in the constituency of Folkestone & Hythe which is now predicted to swing from the Tories to Labour. Our new costituency is Tory and it is predicted to be held. Bugger. 

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Sod’s Law. There has been a boundary change where I live. We were previously in the constituency of Folkestone & Hythe which is now predicted to swing from the Tories to Labour. Our new costituency is Tory and it is predicted to be held. Bugger. 

Are many in your new constituency likely to support Nige ? You never know, enough of a split in the Tory vote might leave space for the LibDems or Greens.

Has Sunak hired agency spads? I’d almost feel sorry for him if he wasn’t such a tetchy prick and marvelling in his £2k tax ‘bombshell’

47 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Are many in your new constituency likely to support Nige ? You never know, enough of a split in the Tory vote might leave space for the LibDems or Greens.

I doubt it. We are in an area that includes Tenterden and the Blue Rinse Brigade now. I think the incumbent Tory is going to be safe.

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I know it's shallow, but Angela Rayner not pronouncing her 'T's is incredibly grating. 

Mordaunt may be well spoken, but she can't complete a single sentence without shoe-horning in some scaremongering bollocks about what Labour *might* do if they win. 

That's a whole lot more grating than listening to someone with a northern, working class accent.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Mordaunt may be well spoken, but she can't complete a single sentence without shoe-horning in some scaremongering bollocks about what Labour *might* do if they win. 

That's a whole lot more grating than listening to someone with a northern, working class accent.

I don't like Mordaunt either. In terms of presentation, the green lady is horrendous and reminds me of Laurie penny which is awful in itself. The Welsh guy and snp bloke both come across well even though I completely disagree with them. Presentation is important in politics and Rayner is terrible. Farage always does a good job on things like this. 

The woman in the pink jacket (assume she's lib dem?) is entirely forgettable. 

None of them amazing though as someone else said. 

Edited by hypochondriac

10 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Personally, whilst I'm no Tory, and know that she's a skate, I don't think Penny is performing too badly given the position her party are in. None of them are exactly wow'ing me though.

(caveat, I only watched the first 25 mins or so and have now turned over).

Mordaunt does do a good job on presentation. She could well be the next LOTO. Such a shame she's a skate and doesn't know what a woman is.