The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

Rishi not ruling out a new Bank Holiday, potentially St George's Day. I reckon Labour should counter with proposing 2, and in showing they are willing to build on our new found Brexit 'freedoms' make them June 18th and October 21st.

One thing we can all agree is a blinding idea is the National service. A chance for young people to serve their community for a year to show that their care extends beyond posting about it on social media. Too bad sog and aintforver are too old s sure they’d be at the front of the queue. Maybe they could beg Rishi to let them do it anyway, can’t let this chance slip through their fingers 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

One thing we can all agree is a blinding idea is the National service. A chance for young people to serve their community for a year to show that their care extends beyond posting about it on social media. Too bad sog and aintforver are too old s sure they’d be at the front of the queue. Maybe they could beg Rishi to let them do it anyway, can’t let this chance slip through their fingers 

You mean, people have the chance to do more good deeds than posting about it on Facebook, twitter and saintsweb?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You mean, people have the chance to do more good deeds than posting about it on Facebook, twitter and saintsweb?

If they vote for the tories they will, which given how much we all care about social injustice, finally, we have the chance to do something about it rather than just post about it. I see Sog thinks getting off your backside and doing something is a laughing matter, but that shouldn’t really be a surprise given he thought he was ending global racism by posting about it on here. I’m sure we can all agree it’s cracking policy from the tories 

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I see Sog thinks getting off your backside and doing something is a laughing matter,

How he can laugh when so many people are dying in this world is beyond belief

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Sog this, Sog that...blah blah blah

He needs his own thread so those obsessed and triggered by him can post with out the rest of us having to read it

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Still living rent free in your head then. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

He needs his own thread so those obsessed with him can post with out the rest of us having to read it

It is very bizarre isn’t it? Tellingly though it is always the same people, they all share the same basic ideology and never, ever, criticise each other. They are an odd bunch but then you will always find these types of people on social media forums.

Anyway, back to the subject of the thread. Farage has been all over the media again and, surprise, surprise, has a seat on Question Time tonight. Why do we continue to put up with this odious character. He is a snake oil salesman who would have been run out of town in the good old days when grifters were given short shrift.

The media bend over backwards to give him air time. He is not an MP. He is not the leader of a political party. He gets plenty of airtime on the right wing propaganda platform GB News so why give him more exposure? God knows he has done enough damage to this country without doing more. It seems he is now intent on manoeuvring the Tory Party further right, as if this country needs an opposition party where the likes of Braverman, Patel and Badenoch pull the strings.

We also have the batshit crazy Truss running amok with Sunak doing nothing to distance himself and his party from her playing to the gallery with her deeply obnoxious friends.

Meanwhile the right friendly media are trying to distract us by telling us that the selection/deselection of a certain longstanding MP is a crisis for Starmer. Is it really? I think most people are more concerned with what is going to happen to the NHS in future. It is also amusing to see the same people who have hated on her for years now pretending that what is happening to her is an outrage. Watch the Telegraph, Mail and Express enthusiastically campaign for her reinstatement if she is deselected.

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It is very bizarre isn’t it?

Not really, you crave the attention. It’s sport! Your verbose waffle rarely keeps from bringing other posters into it and your need to highlight your righteousness against them. Still, pleased to see you are getting some likes. What’s your groups’ trait? The banal grinning idiots.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Diane Abbott completed an antisemitic training course in light of her article. The same one SOG lauded btw. Maybe there is an online one he could do in between listening to LBC?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Still living rent free in your head then. :lol:

Careful, it wasn’t that long ago Sog went apoplectic with someone for saying that accusing them of saying he had a mental illness. Although I see in this cases he’s responded with a laughing emoji. I guess Mental illness must be funny too now 

1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

He needs his own thread so those obsessed and triggered by him can post with out the rest of us having to read it

He had one but he even managed to get that one locked due to his odd behaviour 

as for being triggered it’s only a few days until the CoT return so look forward to your daily meltdowns on that thread 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He had one but he even managed to get that one locked due to his odd behaviour 

as for being triggered it’s only a few days until the CoT return so look forward to your daily meltdowns on that thread 

Still desperate for attention I see, sadly for you there will be no feeding of your ego from me for your rubbish, just some 🤣 as that's all it warrants

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Still desperate for attention I see, sadly for you there will be no feeding of your ego from me for your rubbish, just some 🤣 as that's all it warrants

Great! I look forward to zero posts from you disrupting that thread. Good news 👍

• Haha 1

On 29/05/2024 at 09:07, tdmickey3 said:

Not posted in ages about those attention seekers and can only do 3 a day so wont waste my time on that garbage anymore.

Thanks for the mention anyway😉

20 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Just the two posts so far saying “I won’t be paying any attention”. Cracking work, and the CoT haven’t even got started yet!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

My odd behaviour? Given that he was banned from The Ugly Inside for his odd behaviour I guess he would know all about that.

I am with you. Let him go off to his attention seeking, childish I know something you don’t know thread and hopefully we can get on and discuss the election while he feeds his ego.

Just listening to the financial forecasts and it seems that no matter who gets elected, we face a further financial squeeze for a number of years to come with more public spending cuts. Oh joy.

Edited by sadoldgit

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

My odd behaviour? Given that he was banned from The Ugly Inside for his odd behaviour I guess he would know all about that.

I am with you. Let him go off to his attention seeking, childish I know something you don’t know thread and hopefully we can get on and discuss the election while he feeds his ego.

Just listening to the financial forecasts and it seems that no matter who gets elected, we face a further financial squeeze for a number of years to come with more public spending cuts. Oh joy.

Of course we face a financial squeeze

we locked everyone up for monthS, dished out furlough to anyone breathing, and now ploughing money into Ukraine for no positive reason.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Of course we face a financial squeeze

we locked everyone up for monthS, dished out furlough to anyone breathing, and now ploughing money into Ukraine for no positive reason.

Gifted hundreds of millions of pounds to Tory donors in corrupt PPE contracts, and handed out business support loans without any checks on the applications or any sound process to recover the money.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The Tory MP, ( up to this week ), for Bolton East has applied to join the Labour Party.

'A Conservative Party spokesman said: "Much of the association wanted him deselected for inactivity and his failure to be present in Bolton for extended periods of time. And he's been asking No 10 for a peerage."

Quite a kick on his way out, I thought.

Just now, Holmes_and_Watson said:

'A Conservative Party spokesman said: "Much of the association wanted him deselected for inactivity and his failure to be present in Bolton for extended periods of time. And he's been asking No 10 for a peerage."

Quite a kick on his way out, I thought.

His seat is one of the easiest wins for Labour.

21 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Gifted hundreds of millions of pounds to Tory donors in corrupt PPE contracts, and handed out business support loans without any checks on the applications or any sound process to recover the money.

Exactly, we all demanded that it was done immediately. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It could have been done immediately but retained fiscal controls. The Government purchasing frameworks could have been followed, but then Boris' cronies weren't in them, and the business support loans could have been delayed by a couple of days whilst basic checks at Companies House and HMRC were carried out. The number of clients of accountancy firms who now claim they were never told that the LOANS had to be paid back is ridiculous, let alone the thousands of fictitious organisations who received payouts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

It could have been done immediately but retained fiscal controls. The Government purchasing frameworks could have been followed, but then Boris' cronies weren't in them, and the business support loans could have been delayed by a couple of days whilst basic checks at Companies House and HMRC were carried out. The number of clients of accountancy firms who now claim they were never told that the LOANS had to be paid back is ridiculous, let alone the thousands of fictitious organisations who received payouts.

yep, everyone broke the rules and tradesmen were never busier (cash in hand of course), whilst the government were being slated for not shutting at home for longer, sooner, harder, stricter...

• Haha 1

lol still peddling that lie SOG? You need some new material old boy

interesting how the post about National service has triggered a few people today, unsurprisingly the ones who love to post about how virtuous they are but never walk the walk when they have the chance too. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

There were any number of officers of dormant companies, only too happy to step in to ask for £50k for each of them before checks were put in place. Early on, there were networks of connected low activity companies moving funds around to claim multiple times. And fairly new companies could get away with showing projected earnings.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’m no fan of Nigel Farage, but no way was he given a fair crack of the whip on Question Time tonight.

No fan of Piers Morgan either, and even less so after his performance tonight.

Why should he have a ‘fair crack’. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

People have short memories. Huge pressure to get PPE sorted, remember the order from Turkey I think it was that when it arrived wasn’t fit for purpose. So bring it back to this country to also boost the economy and that’s wrong too as it was just giving contracts to their mates. 

People seem to forget that whilst they were all loving life on furlough it all had to be paid back one day. I never took a penny on furlough money worked all through and even worked through both times I had Covid. If anyone should be complaining it’s those of us who didn’t benefit from it at all, but we don’t we get on with it and make our corner of the world as fucking brilliant as we can, some might call that an I’m alright jack attitude others would say  that’s what winners do and sets us apart from the woe is me brigade who have to use clap for carers as a captive audience do their neighbours will speak to them 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Why should he have a ‘fair crack’. 

Because it’s meant to be an open discussion without prejudice views.

I remember when that bellend Nick Griffin was on there, I actually felt a bit sorry for him because it was a blatantly rigged panel and audience so every time he spoke someone else was quick to shout him down. 

• Like 1

People have short memories. Huge pressure to get PPE sorted, remember the order from Turkey I think it was that when it arrived wasn’t fit for purpose. So bring it back to this country to also boost the economy and that’s wrong too as it was just giving contracts to their mates. 

People seem to forget that whilst they were all loving life on furlough it all had to be paid back one day.. If anyone should be complaining it’s those of us I never took a penny on furlough money worked all through and even worked through both times I had Covid who didn’t benefit from it at all, but we don’t we get on with it and make our corner of the world as fucking brilliant as we can, some might call that an I’m alright jack attitude others would say  that’s what winners do and sets us apart from the woe is me brigade who have to use clap for carers as a captive audience do their neighbours will speak to them 

Everyone`s hero our Turkish 👏

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I remember when that bellend Nick Griffin was on there, I actually felt a bit sorry for him because it was a blatantly rigged panel and audience so every time he spoke someone else was quick to shout him down. 

But why Nigel Farage? He has no more right to be there than my next door neighbour.

Are you really trying to say that Farage isn’t prejudiced?

• Like 3

The panel is made up in proportion to how the electorate voted in the last election. So not rigged, just happened that more people in the audience thought his ideas were shit.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’m no fan of Nigel Farage, but no way was he given a fair crack of the whip on Question Time tonight.

No fan of Piers Morgan either, and even less so after his performance tonight.

Why is Farage even on Question Time? He's just a has-been MEP with a rich friend. Why should we care what he thinks?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Danbert said:

Why is Farage even on Question Time? He's just a has-been MEP with a rich friend. Why should we care what he thinks?

Because he's the front of Reform UK. I can't stand the fella, or his party, but we live in a democracy and there can't be any genuine complaint about him getting air time in the build up to the election. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

The panel is made up in proportion to how the electorate voted in the last election. So not rigged, just happened that more people in the audience thought his ideas were shit.

The highlight of the evening was when Farage said that he was only there because he was asked and Fiona Bruce replied that they had asked Lee Anderson first but he couldn’t make it. Burst poor old Nigel’s bubble!

As you say, the audience is made up according to the percentage of votes cast at the last election and Fiona Bruce makes that clear every week so the idea that the audience was rigged against Farage is nonsense.

Is Starmer carrying out a purge of the left? It is plausible but looks more likely that he is continuing his campaign of zero tolerance of anyone showing any sign of anti-semitism. As the far left of the party are more likely to be pro Palestinian it is no surprise that these people are finding themselves with a selection problem.

Hardly any mention in the media about Sunak parachuting his pals into safe Tory seats.  I don’t recall a lot of critical attention being paid to the Tories when most of  the moderate centrists vanished.

Given the general media’s hatred of the far left you would think that they would be delighted that Labour’s profile was becoming closer to the centre. Ironic that people who have spent their careers trashing Diane Abbott are now outraged over the treatment of her in this matter. Having said that it is bizarre that it took the NEC so long to deal with her case. Starmer can’t win though. Damned if he supports her, damned if he gets rid of her.

It all boils down to the party leadership, fed by focus groups. Any party will want its membership to sing from the same hymn sheet. This is why we currently have a very right leading Tory Party (with Sunak being to weak to move it towards the centre) and why Starmer is doing his best to position Labour as a more moderate party. Of course the media understands this bit just plays on the public prejudices. Starmer knows this very well which is why he has distanced himself from the likes of Corbyn and Abbott.

* Richard Tice is the leader of the Reform Party. Nigel Farage is the honorary President.

Edited by sadoldgit
Typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Danbert said:

By the same token, that vicar and Piers the phone tapper shouldn’t have been on either.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, egg said:

Because he's the front of Reform UK. I can't stand the fella, or his party, but we live in a democracy and there can't be any genuine complaint about him getting air time in the build up to the election. 

He owns Reform, but he's not standing as a candidate. He's not in line to be one of the representatives in our representative democracy. His only qualification for being invited on programmes like Question Time is that he's always in the news, and he's in the news because he gets invited on programmes like Question Time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danbert said:

He owns Reform, but he's not standing as a candidate. He's not in line to be one of the representatives in our representative democracy. His only qualification for being invited on programmes like Question Time is that he's always in the news, and he's in the news because he gets invited on programmes like Question Time. 

Why shouldn't the owner of Reform be put forward as it's mouthpiece? It's not as though they have MP's, yet. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Why shouldn't the owner of Reform be put forward as it's mouthpiece? It's not as though they have MP's, yet. 

Do you mean Richard Tice?

Someday he will want his big loan back from the party.

Do you think it right in a democracy that someone with no (significant) electoral achievements can buy electioneering exposure?

22 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Do you mean Richard Tice?

Someday he will want his big loan back from the party.

Do you think it right in a democracy that someone with no (significant) electoral achievements can buy electioneering exposure?

I think it's right that a political party can put forward a senior figurehead of it's choosing to fight it's cause. The Tories shoved Boris up front and centre as it's salesman for Brexit. Alas, the idiot did a good job. Farage won't do so well, but if he helps dilute the Tories sway, so much the better for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

but looks more likely that he is continuing his campaign of zero tolerance of anyone showing any sign of anti-semitism.

Didn’t you say what Abbott wrote wasn’t anti semitic & you agreed with her. What does that make you?  

52 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What a load of old pony. “No significant electrol achievements” lol. How about winning 2 national elections in the past 10 years, & then winning the EU referendum. After Mrs T & Blair he’s the most influential political figure of the past 50 years. 

😂 It’s laughable that someone thinks a programme that has half wits like Russell Brand, Owen Jones & that fucking boring black poet on,  shouldn’t invite Nigel. 

• Like 1