Newcastle 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Wouldn't the reported/rumoured falling out with certain key players have been a factor in our survival chances under Ralph?

Don't get me wrong, I was one of his biggest "fan boys" but even I could see that his time had come to an end. 

How many more managers are these players going to fall out with though? They've got no right to moan about coaches/managers after what they've been throwing in for years.

I wish they'd hated the manager and he made their lives hell, but sadly they've got their mate in charge.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Taken in isolation it wasn’t a particularly bad showing, any side would struggle up there at the moment with the form they’re in. Wasn’t the worst performance of the season, just not good enough. 

1st half not so much, 2nd half was so bad though. We just wilted, looked like a lower league side against a higher league side (which we are), but some of the 'effort' put in during that 2nd half by some of our so called professionals should lead to some gross dismissals.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Easy target. Tessam is a fucking plum, needs sacking. 

He's right. Adam Armstrong is a fraud of a footballer. He didn't pull up any trees in the B team and then gets a recall. If you are Mara, Onachu, Adams and Sulemana you'd be livid.

Edited by The Curse of St Mary's
  • Like 11

7 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Imagine having not just one useless twat of a manager in a season, but two. Incredible from Ankersen. Useless wanker. 

My sentiment exactly. I didn't think we could hire a more incompetent manager than mad Nate, but we did it with Selles. Honestly, he thinks the way to win a game at Newcastle 1-0 up at half-time is to sit back and defend...Adam Armstrong, Walcott, AMN and Elyounoussi on before Che Adams?! 

30 touches for Newcastle in our box in the second half to 0 for Saints says it all. Tactical masterclass Selles. Honestly, any one of us on this forum could be a better manager than Selles. Just astonishing incompetence.

I watched the Brighton game yesterday - they are everything we are not. Attack-minded, brilliant recruitment, a great manager, scoring goals for fun (60 and counting), entertaining football, new ground, full ground, loud supporters, great business (£50M profit on Cucherrella alone)...is there any doubt who the best South coast club is any more? Bournemouth managed to stay up with a weaker squad. We've gone from best to worst in a season.

Ankersen, take a bow - these monumental managerial appointment mistakes are the root cause of our problems and yours to own. 

• Like 23

Selles blew whatever chance we had of getting something out of the game. It wasn't a bad team and it did a decent job in the first half. Bringing on Armstrong, Elyounoussi, AMN and Walcott was total incompetence. All of them stroll, mark from ten yards away, have no workrate and would struggle in a National League team. The first half decent performance was spoilt by the short passing and giving the ball away in our half.  I think some players need to change their boots.

What would I do. I'd fire Selles tonight. Then I'd tell AMN to go back to London and we'd pay his money until the end of the month. I'd tell Elyounoussi to find another club, don't come back we'll pay up to June 30th. I'd tell Armstrong he was finished here. I'd wish Walcott a happy retirement. Then I'd pick a balanced team. Stop the backwards and sideways, keep three forwards up and give it a go. 

• Like 27

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Taken in isolation it wasn’t a particularly bad showing, any side would struggle up there at the moment with the form they’re in. Wasn’t the worst performance of the season, just not good enough. 

That second half was no worse than we have been at times, but it was equally as bad as some, so I would class it as joint worst.

27 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Imagine having not just one useless twat of a manager in a season, but two. Incredible from Ankersen. Useless wanker. 

To appoint someone worse than Jones - and he fucking well has - is some achievement I've gotta say. Step forward Rasmus , take a bow YOU WANKER.

• Like 9

Just now, saintscottofthenortham said:

Did I read that we'd actually offered Elnousey a new contract? If we did, then f*** me. Quite a sign of the times that he'd have the gall to reject it, too. How sh*t are we.

It's been on the table for quite some time, he wanted to see where we ended the season until he decided. 

Another player who thinks he's too good for the Championship, when realistically he probably isn't even good enough for that level. I'm so glad he won't be sticking around, but the worry is that we offered one in the first place.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's been on the table for quite some time, he wanted to see where we ended the season until he decided. 

Another player who thinks he's too good for the Championship, when realistically he probably isn't even good enough for that level. I'm so glad he won't be sticking around, but the worry is that we offered one in the first place.

Exactly. That is a sign of how things will be next year, which is deeply troubling.

So Tella wasn't good enough to bring back in January. Armstrong. Elyounoussi, AMN and Walcott among others aren't fit to lace his boots. Now Kompany is desperate to sign him to play in the Premier for Burnley next season. What an indictment of a club that has no idea and a publicity department that thinks it's the bee's knees. Total delusion.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, derry said:

Selles blew whatever chance we had of getting something out of the game. It wasn't a bad team and it did a decent job in the first half. Bringing on Armstrong, Elyounoussi, AMN and Walcott was total incompetence. All of them stroll, mark from ten yards away, have no workrate and would struggle in a National League team. The first half decent performance was spoilt by the short passing and giving the ball away in our half.  I think some players need to change their boots.

What would I do. I'd fire Selles tonight. Then I'd tell AMN to go back to London and we'd pay his money until the end of the month. I'd tell Elyounoussi to find another club, don't come back we'll pay up to June 30th. I'd tell Armstrong he was finished here. I'd wish Walcott a happy retirement. Then I'd pick a balanced team. Stop the backwards and sideways, keep three forwards up and give it a go. 

If I could I’d keep liking this post

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

.....oh and aren't I the one with egg all over my face.

Sorry for getting it so wrong, everyone.

Well I just think the criticism of the guy for treating games as a friendly is a bit rich considering you said yourself 2 months ago the season was finished. 

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Well I just think the criticism of the guy for treating games as a friendly is a bit rich considering you said yourself 2 months ago the season was finished. 

That isn't what I said at all but thanks for trying, always nice to get fan feedback ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

He didn’t take any responsibility with his substitutions then?

Wasn't really mentioned. I quite like Adam Blackmore, but he was so sycophantic it was painful. I would rather Jo Tessem had done the interview, based on his remarks during and after the game.....even if he is "a plum".

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

That isn't what I said at all but thanks for trying, always nice to get fan feedback ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Oh okay.

On 15/02/2023 at 08:20, CB Fry said:

I can already see myself getting annoyed by people on this forum, after we lose a couple of games, saying "we were told this guy was the saviour who was going to keep us up"

Jessie Marsch is absolutley nailed on to be relegated with us, we have far too much to do now. He can come in and win his first two games in a row and even if he does that we will probably still be in the bottom 3. We are almost certain to be relegated, but if Marsch can at least get us organised and give the young players some guidance/focus/motivation, then great.

Edited by Fabrice29

43 minutes ago, derry said:

Stop it, you'll never get anywhere at this club with that kind of approach

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Oh okay.

Well, that's not me saying the season is finished, and it's not me saying "off you go lads and treat every game as a friendly now, I don’t care" and it's not me saying that I absolve myself of commenting on all future games this season.

I said we were nailed on relegated, which I do stand by and here we are in May and fuck my old boots we're bottom of the league. Nailed on relegated.

As I said back then  I don't think Jesse Marsch would have changed much, we might be a point or two better off.

Not sure what gotcha point you're try to score against me, but you've blown it sweetheart. Thanks for trawling my posts though.

All the best x x x

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Bednarek, S.Armstrong, Sulemena and Alcaraz were all decent - as soon as those 3 went off we looked utterly clueless. 

The team needed Che Adams on so much earlier. We were dropping very deep yet had no one up top to relieve the pressure. So what does the manager do? Brings on A.Armstrong who couldn't trap a bag of cement. 

Honestly it seems as if Selles has a rather large amount of money on us to go down. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, derry said:

I agree with much of that but what's your definition of a balanced team? I assume it doesn't include JWP.

31 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

If you bothered watching the game you'd realise Benerak kept the score in single figures!!

Quite this. Love him or hate him, Bednarek has been one of our better performers since his return. And has shown some passion and desire. That not saying alot relative to this steaming pile of shit we are currently calling Southampton but to single him out is odd. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just a tragic team and a desperate season which we all cant wait to come to an end.

Says it all when those getting good minutes today (and some for most of Selles' spell) included McCarthy, Bednarek, Lyanco, Djenepo, AMN, AA, Elyounoussi and Walcott. Most of these players weren't good enough at the start of the season (or last) yet here we are.still persisting with them 😡

• Like 3

1 hour ago, derry said:

The strangest thing about our entire scenario is that 99% of Saints fans would do exactly this.

• Like 4

Think we’ve got one of our lowest ever points totals but probably reached the highest number of times the word “cunt” has ever been used on an after match thread!!! Anyway let’s add another. Fuck off Rasmus you complete 🛎️ end cockwomble out of your depth cuntling cunt.. hope you read this you complete cunt as you’ve completed ruined our club you useless cunt.

Edited by madge
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

44 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

I agree with much of that but what's your definition of a balanced team? I assume it doesn't include JWP.

A balanced team is irrespective of the layout where all the players play in their natural positions. Personally I favour 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. For example. Bazunu, KWP Bednarek ABK Perrault. Sulemana JWP Lavia. S.Armstrong. Alcaraz Ouachu.

I'd tell JWP to forget about ball recycling. Pass the ball forward in front of the target so he can't turn back.  Goalkeeper hits it long towards the touchlines no tippy tappy with the centre backs. Throw ins down the lines we are awful at throw ins. JWP takes the direct free kicks. Get somebody else to take the corners and non direct free kicks.because they are poor..

Edited by derry

2 hours ago, LGTL said:

Adam Armstrong came on for the last 25 minutes and apparently didn’t touch the ball, except for the kick off after they scored. That’s astonishing, even for that shit twat. 

Can’t stand him, hate watching him attempt to play football, one of the worst signings in recent years, he’s got a fair bit of competition. 

• Like 4

Best result this w/e was QPR beating Stoke, hopefully the Wall will fall over in the playoffs and Reading can pull out of bottom 3, Huddersfield (a) is a winner takes all shoot out for them.

Sod the Prem, deadly dull league. Back to competitive football.

• Like 1