Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread

whelk

Pathetic way to concede(Moi and perraud both just letting their full back have freedom to score)

Some pretty build up but there's real sense that there is any possibility of scoring from it.

Get onachu on at HT, they can't keep on having no threat from set pieces, especially when you know fraser is poor at crosses

• Like 1

Tony Pulis

Former Stoke manager on BBC Radio 5 Live

Tottenham are marking zonal. There are pockets of space; I'd be getting my players to run at them. A running jump is better than a standing jump.

With James Ward-Prowse's delivery, they'd get chances.

-------

Running at them? It's a brave tactic but maybe we can try it

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Got to feel for our season ticket holders. Who'd want to have pre-paid and be having to watch this shit every other week. 

Like setting up a direct debit for a weekly punch in the throat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I've thought Perraud was a good defender - not the best, but very capable.  However, he's gone down in my estimation quite considerably by allowing himself to be pulled so far out of position and allowing a Spurs player with that much room, especially in the first half when you shouldn't be stretched that much.  I'd be inclined to put KWP in at LB and Bree at RB next game - probably more defensively sound set-up.

Just now, Saint NL said:

Tony Pulis

Tottenham are marking zonal. There are pockets of space; I'd be getting my players to run at them. A running jump is better than a standing jump.

-------

Running... running...

What exactly is that?

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Conte: "great win lads". Just sit back now, this lot couldn't get past our under 11s team, we can break and pick them off at will.

Selles: "can everyone just get it to Moi in the red zone!"

International break next week. Thank fuck for that. 

Look how much better we were after the World Cup break !

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Tony Pulis

-------

Another so called expert who is unable to see how bad JWP is at taking corners.

3 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Tony Pulis

-------

So in short, trying could help. 

• Like 1

0-1 h/t.

To be honest, I thought we played okay in the circumstances - losing both CBs is a massive blow, even if one of them is Bednarek.

The goal is on Elyounoussi. Perraud has to cover his man, Kulusevski, moving inside. Perhaps he could've hedged his bets. But if the opposition full back is in that much space, it means your wide midfielder hasn't tracked him.

On the injuries, I assume Bella-Kotchap's dislocated shoulder is the same one his dislocated earlier in the season. The club had a choice then whether to operate or hope he could manage it, and looks like we again made the wrong decision.

You'd think there's no way back from here, but Spurs haven't been special and we've gotten into some decent positions. But there's no quality. At all. Walcott's pace has gone, so his fairly bright movement off the ball is rendered moot once he gets it and can't motor away from anyone.

We've only got one more substitute window unless we get someone on at h/t. What to do? Lose, probably.

Edited by qwertyell

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Pathetic way to concede(Moi and perraud both just letting their full back have freedom to score)

Some pretty build up but there's real sense that there is any possibility of scoring from it.

Get onachu on at HT, they can't keep on having no threat from set pieces, especially when you know fraser is poor at crosses

Onachu is a league 2 player at best. The guy looked like he won a competition to get on the pitch against Brentford. What a shambles of a club we are.

• Haha 2

I’m not usually one to bash Moi, as I understand why he gets picked (especially against the better teams), but we’ve been fucking destroyed down the left today, so he’s been absolutely pointless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I've thought Perraud was a good defender - not the best, but very capable.  However, he's gone down in my estimation quite considerably by allowing himself to be pulled so far out of position and allowing a Spurs player with that much room, especially in the first half when you shouldn't be stretched that much.  I'd be inclined to put KWP in at LB and Bree at RB next game - probably more defensively sound set-up.

It wasn't great by Perraud but at least he was trying to mark someone, unlike (off the Ball) Elyounessi who just stood around and did nothing.

Perraud gets a pass on that for me. Salisu get's sucked right, Perraud see's it and goes over to cover and visibly passes Porro onto Moi.......who does fuck all about it. That was Moi not tracking back when he had a man passed onto him.

• Like 3

Just now, grezz said:

Perraud gets a pass on that for me. Salisu get's sucked right, Perraud see's it and goes over to cover and visibly passes Porro onto Moi.......who does fuck all about it. That was Moi not tracking back when he had a man passed onto him.

But that's the green zone. None of Moi's business...

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Get Onachu on - why?  We can't cross a ball and JWP's corners and indirect free-kicks are shit.  If he comes on I wager he'll not get a header in on goal.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

It wasn't great by Perraud but at least he was trying to mark someone, unlike (off the Ball) Elyounessi who just stood around and did nothing.

As Selles said, he broke his trust in his teammates - turns out the man he was marking had no influence on the goal, but the man he is paid handsomely to mark scored the goal.  And yes, Ely-no-usey is to be found ambling back as the ball hits the back of the net.

Just now, richardc said:

one goal from corners all season - spurs have 12 - our corners have been shit all season and dont get me started on those high loopy crosses he puts in 

Pulis, who is somewhat an expert of getting the most out of corners, free kicks etc. is highlighting exactly why we don’t score. 

It’s not always the delivery, our movement is appalling. It is when defending as well, to be fair.

• Like 1

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Two goals in 2 months.

Now we need 2 in 45 to salvage something (assuming we don't concede again 😂)

"But but but we're just 2 points out if 16th!!"

Yep, there's no talking this one up - it's going to be simple for Spurs to hammer us in the 2nd half making our GD even worse at a time when we need it to start clocking the other way.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

Really, in that case why do his corners never generate any sort of panic in opposition defences? Why are they continually cleared with the minimum of fuss.?

Because most of the time our players are shit at attacking it....look at how many goals the rest of the side have

He usually puts the ball in a dangerous area...

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yep, there's no talking this one up - it's going to be simple for Spurs to hammer us in the 2nd half making our GD even worse at a time when we need it to start clocking the other way.

Goal difference isn't going to be a factor for our relegation.

12 minutes ago, benjii said:

Generally playing quite well but completely toothless up front. You can't expect to win a Premier League match with that attacking set up.

And then, despite playing quite well, we're guaranteed one big screw up at the back. 

Going down with a whimper.

P.s. even our pitch is shite now. Looks like a pudding.

You could write exactly the same about pretty much every game this season and it would be pretty much spot on.  Unfortunately the people running the club failed to address our very obvious frailties. 

• Sad 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic