Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread

whelk

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

Everything positive we did in the first half came through Elyounoussi, often he’s the one that receives it from JWP/Lavia then moves it on to Perrraud/KWP or another attacker to deliver the final ball. He was popping up in good positions, he was moving the ball well, keeping possession well. Anyone watching him today, and slating him, had made their mind up before kick off. 

That is funny, as we created so much in the first half 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Because he was. Making one good save against us doesn't change that. 

Your missing the point I was making, the post I was commenting on (and others posts) was that they were saying how good Forster is and wishing he was back. I don't agree. I agree with you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Stupid bloody comment. Were you even at the match? Moi was excellent in the first half, holding up the ball, ghosting past opponents players and finding gaps between the lines for team mates to run onto. Despite idiots like you carping all the time, he actually does make a difference.

Did you go again Chaz? Brilliant stuff pal, after proclaiming a month ago that you were in the midst of a three and a half year boycott of Saints you’ve properly turned round. Good on you.

Or is someone else using the account again?

Given the circumstances, playing a top four team, losing two centre backs in first 30 mins, coming back from 3-1 down, it is an excellent point.  Eight points from six points under Selles, if we keep that ratio going we have a chance of staying up.

Best performances for some time from Moi, Theo and good cameos from Mara and Kamaldeen.  Moi is much better in a 442 as opposed to a 4231 when he is required to get beyond Adams.  

What nerve shown by JWP, that really was a pressure penalty!

Edited by Forester
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Mara being on made a huge difference. He's an intelligent player.

the game at home against Newcastle in the cup convinced me that he can play and lead the line. He should never have been subbed in that game. Not sure he has hit the heights since, but he's got ability and he could be an important player for us next season.

3 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Sorry folks but it ain't enough.

That's what we need, more positivity like that 🙄

Fighting spirit like today and we're still in with a shout. It's fine margins at the bottom, tightest it's been for years and that was an important point.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Thanks for letting everyone know. Saves us having to bother supporting and hoping.

Feel free to support and hope. I'll be doing the same but it's like wanting the Loch Ness Monster to pop his head out of your pond. Ain't gonna happen.

1 hour ago, derry said:

AMN did really well as a stand in centreback. 

Might want to take another look at Kane's goal. AMN defending was absolutely woeful. He just stands there. He doesn't even try to win the header. Not his position, so I don't expect him to be brilliant, but to say he did really well is stretching things a bit for me.

6 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Feel free to support and hope. I'll be doing the same but it's like wanting the Loch Ness Monster to pop his head out of your pond. Ain't gonna happen.

2 points from safety, 4points from 12th. 10 games to go. Not sure we’re quite in Nessie territory yet.

But if it helps you think like this then fair enough. We all find our own way through these things. Me, I think it’s impossible to know how the last quarter of the season will play out. 

• Like 3

Good fight back today. Needing snookers to stay up but unlike midweek they had a go. Walcott giving his body one last push and showing leadership that’s been missing. Adams a better finisher when no time to over-think. Nice cameo by Mara that offers some hope. 

Not having DCC on the bench self-defeating by the club and I’m not buying the bad luck bit. ABK has been a bit Darren Powell-like in terms of fitness (much better player mind you) all season and his shoulder has been waiting to go. Bednarek wasn’t even here for half the season. Cost us two points. 

Given we had 2 of 3 in game substitutions forced on us in the first 30 minutes.

Given we played 60 minutes with a CB partnership that hasnt even been presented as any type of CB pairing option.

given we hadnt scored 3 for a Long time.

That point from the game was an exceptional point, and well managed from the bench.

• Like 8

In any other season this would have been a decent result, but the reality is that it's another weekend lost, with rivals getting the points.

We need at least three other teams to be tripping up consistently and that isn't happening.

Sorry to be party pooper, but in reality it's another nail in the coffin and overall a poor weekend.

Frustrating thing is we played relatively well and Spurs weren't at their best. Its the type of game you just need to capitalise on.

Edited by Dragon_man
  • Like 1

Love to know what Prowsey said in the huddle when we went 3-1 down - I’m guessing it was “right Shit or bust lads!” 

A tip of the cap to Theo Walcott, bugger off is he 34, played like a 24 year old, he put in a proper shift today so glad he wasn’t subbed.

You still have to ask, where was that fight on Wednesday night when at 0-1 we were playing out for a draw!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

I missed both CB injuries. Were they bad?

ABK dislocated shoulder.

Bednarek, even after replays I couldn’t quite work out what happened but he obviously got a good whack, in the ribs I think. He tried to play on but looked in a bit of pain.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought we played really well today, competed and worried Spurs on a few occasions. The 2nd goal (from Kane) was a little against the run of play, and I thought 1-3 flattered them to be honest.

Great comeback, great spirit. We benefited massively from the worst VAR call ever, but I'm not complaining.

Doesn't really change anything in terms of our outlook, it's all but done in that sense. This is our best spell of the season in respect of form and results, yet we're still rooted to the bottom.

It's nice to see game with us scoring goals in for a change though.

Which call was that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I missed both CB injuries. Were they bad?

given the way Bednarek was coughing, it looked like rib had gone into his lung.

The doctor was holding ABK's arm in place. Shoulder looked F^&*ed.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

ABK dislocated shoulder.

Bednarek, even after replays I couldn’t quite work out what happened but he obviously got a good whack, in the ribs I think. He tried to play on but looked in a bit of pain.

Think the commentators said taken to hospital with suspected broken ribs.

5 minutes ago, Nolan said:

given the way Bednarek was coughing, it looked like rib had gone into his lung.

The doctor was holding ABK's arm in place. Shoulder looked F^&*ed.

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Think the commentators said taken to hospital with suspected broken ribs.

Either of those is a quick return.

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yeah, good point. I let hope run away with me there. Having looked at the remaining games and the possible points I can’t see us doing it.

Consider the following 'difficult' games;

Saints2-1Chelsea

Saints1-1Arsenal

Chelsea0-1Saints

Man Utd0-0Saints

Saints3-3Spurs

We could quite easily get something from Liverpool, City, etc. It's the 'winnable' games we cock up and don't compete in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Consider the following 'difficult' games;

Saints2-1Chelsea

Saints1-1Arsenal

Chelsea0-1Saints

Man Utd0-0Saints

Saints3-3Spurs

We could quite easily get something from Liverpool, City, etc. It's the 'winnable' games we cock up and don't compete in.

When you see it like that, it brings into focus just what a weird team we are. We’ve been so, so shit in so many games, but that set of results shows we’re not a completely lost cause. You can fluke a few results against the top clubs, but not five. Why can we only raise our game against good sides and be so utterly useless against everyone else? 

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

When you see it like that, it brings into focus just what a weird team we are. We’ve been so, so shit in so many games, but that set of results shows we’re not a completely lost cause. You can fluke a few results against the top clubs, but not five. Why can we only raise our game against good sides and be so utterly useless against everyone else? 

Complacency?

Seen moi have worse games but that result doesn’t happen with him staying on the pitch. Gave the ball away tragically in the middle of the pitch leading to a spurs break and was hooked after that. Was hoping selles to make those subs 5 or 10 mins earlier. 

great game from Theo. 

spurs looked very ordinary. Conte right to be angry but he sets them up like that. 

got to hope can build momentum at the right time under the new manager, and other teams start to fall apart. Still hope, particularly after a performance and result like that. 

Edited by tpv01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Did you go again Chaz? Brilliant stuff pal, after proclaiming a month ago that you were in the midst of a three and a half year boycott of Saints you’ve properly turned round. Good on you.

Or is someone else using the account again?

Never say never! That's four on the trot for me now and a first point.

Best match at St Marys for years.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

ABK dislocated shoulder.

Oh dear. Isn't that the second time ABK has done that? They always say that onec you've dislocated it, it becomes easy to do many times thereafter. Not sure if thats true or not.

All those that have bene recently clamouring for DCC will get their opportunity. Losing ABK is bad news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Thought Theo had another top game today

He's really stepped up to the mark as a senior player

His hard work and intelligent play have saved us in defence and created chances repeatedly in the last few games

He plays like a Captain

I suspect its personal for him. He was at the club when we were last relegated. Probably trying to avoid a repeat.

Be considered a Jonah otherwise.

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

Thanks for letting everyone know. Saves us having to bother supporting and hoping.

It's true though unfortunately, I think we all know that if we're honest 

40 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Love to know what Prowsey said in the huddle when we went 3-1 down - I’m guessing it was “right Shit or bust lads!” 

I think we’re far better when we play more aggressively and move the ball forward faster, angling it through the channels and behind the defence, taking on defenders wide, and so on. Rather than going down limply I’d like to see us go into shit or bust mode much more. Bednarek and ABK will be out for a while, leaving us with two “second choice” CDs, so I don’t see much point in playing conservatively.

• Like 4

Good point today in context of being behind but I don't think it's anywhere near enough  , 1 point from the two home games this week is a massive disappointment for our chances of staying up 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic