New Manager

Bakovnetski

Not at all convinced by Marsch, not least because we clewrly need an appointment that the majority of fans will instantly trust and support and I don't think he can offer that.

Nuno is a no for me. A big 3 CB advocate, defensive approach and just find him a bit dull.

Hopefully whoever it is, Ankersen or Semmens will actually attribute quotes at the very least to explain their choice. Always felt Jones was on the backfoot in this regard, they announced him but didnt explain the reasoning until it was far too late.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

It's interesting with marsch

Was good in US and Salzburg but then tried the change the system at Leipzig which didn't play to their strengths and was sacked.

Wasn't sure what he did at Leeds and I've heard people say Leeds should of won a lot more games than they did but they had bamford out so I'm sort of ok with a 18 month contract show us what you can do in the remaining games and we can decide in the summer.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Worry about fan reaction to Marsch, but I think we could do a lot worse. We're effectively a Championship club with a board and fanbase riven with toxicity. The kinds of manager we'd all like aren't going to touch that with a barge pole

Marsch for his limitations is a positive, likeable guy who's versed in the kind of Red Bull model we've supposedly organised the recruitment and youth teams around.

He's not going to keep us up but we might start next season with squad, manager and fans all pulling in the same direction, and right now I'd take that. 

Edited by Rich102
  • Like 1

we could hire poch and people would moan as he snaked us for spurs.

you quite literally cannot hire anyone without someone moaning, like me going on to moan about anyone who moans about marschs use of the word “soccer” despite it being a term used to describe football in britain for many years, causing a multiplier effect of moaning and inevitable relegation. 

Remember when there was chat a while back, when they were talking about Ralph being consulted about who should 'replace him', and Martin came out and said one of the people on 'our list' has actually turned up at another job this week?

That was Marsch. It is almost certainly a long-standing interest, most likely because of the links with the RB Model.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Remember when there was chat a while back, when they were talking about Ralph being consulted about who should 'replace him', and Martin came out and said one of the people on 'our list' has actually turned up at another job this week?

That was Marsch. It is almost certainly a long-standing interest, most likely because of the links with the RB Model.

people at the time was saying it was Bruno Large, but your reasoning makes me believe you’re right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I honestly think this squad needs a "name" not a clever appointment who the players will respect, get some wins and avoid relegation - still possible.

Bielsa, Pochettino, Gerrard. 

I make zero apologies for wanting one of them as manager in my opinion.

2 out of 3 ain't bad (to quote Meat Loaf). I don't think Gerrard can command respect now.

I wouldn’t actually be completely against Marsch, plays football the right way and is versed with how the club is effectively set up tactically

My main grip, well, one of many MANY gripes tbh, with Jones was he was in effect completely opposed to how the club had been structured for effectively the last god knows how many years, we needed somebody new that could tweak and compliment the systems, not completely attempt to re work them

He’d almost certainly go back to a 4222 counter press imo, or perhaps a 4231 although I think he’d favour the former and from what little I saw of Paul and Sulemana yesterday Id like to see them more as a pair through the middle 

I suppose it depends on who is available and who actually wants to come here, Poch would be a no brainer.. Gallardo would be high on my list but Id genuinely worry about his transition into PL management… Im not at all convinced by Gerrard

Bielsa would be interesting, but I think we’d go down with him, Im not convinced he’d be able to set his enigmatic style on the club within the time constraints we have

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Portuguese coach Nuno was effectively sacked in 2021 after a difficult season where performances dipped following successive seventh-placed finishes

Nuno Espirito Santo: Wolves manager to leave club at end of Premier League season
Wolves confirm Nuno Espirito Santo will depart after four seasons at the helm following final Premier League match vs Man Utd on Sunday; Nuno signed new three-year deal in September 2020 but leaves by "mutual agreement"; Exit is not linked to other managerial vacancies

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11699/12312791/nuno-espirito-santo-wolves-manager-to-leave-club-at-end-of-premier-league-season

Two 7th places and a European quarter-final. I would take that.

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I wouldn’t actually be completely against Marsch, plays football the right way and is versed with how the club is effectively set up tactically

My main grip, well, one of many MANY gripes tbh, with Jones was he was in effect completely opposed to how the club had been structured for effectively the last god knows how many years, we needed somebody new that could tweak and compliment the systems, not completely attempt to re work them

He’d almost certainly go back to a 4222 counter press imo, or perhaps a 4231 although I think he’d favour the former and from what little I saw of Paul and Sulemana yesterday Id like to see them more as a pair through the middle 

I suppose it depends on who is available and who actually wants to come here, Poch would be a no brainer.. Gallardo would be high on my list but Id genuinely worry about his transition into PL management… Im not at all convinced by Gerrard

Bielsa would be interesting, but I think we’d go down with him, Im not convinced he’d be able to set his enigmatic style on the club within the time constraints we have

Surely the only "right way" of playing football is winning?

6 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Imagine genuinely believing we can attract Pochettino. Some of you need to give your heads a wobble.

The club certainly couldn't attract him but money could.... a few million for 6 months work wouldn't be bad 

I do think Marsch is a much better fit than Nathan Jones. 

But appointing someone that has just recently been a failure in the PL seems barmy. There must be some young, hungry tactical managers out there that can do a job. 

Yea we are shit & a basket case, but the PL and money is still a massive attraction. Jesse Marsch seems… unimaginative. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Marsch might be the only viable candidate who’s up for taking this mess on. We’re unlikely to attract a high calibre manager in our precarious position. The time to have done that was before we hired NJ.

True. But Marsch? Played all his “soccer in US Micky Mouse leagues and then managed in a franchise. And then he really sorted Leeds out. No thanks but this has got SR all over it and the fact the Athletic are running it fills me with despair. 

I'd like to think that Marsch is being reported because of previous interest and his RB past etc. 

It seems like the kind of story that The Athletic can put out to react to this mornings news, and because in the past his name has been in the hat it's not a blatant lie, but there isn't much in it. 

I'd hope that they have a look at his more recent managerial history and move in another direction. Personally, I am resigned to going down but would throw everything into getting us into a rhythm to attack the Championship next year and come up. On that alone you might convince a 'maybe' player to stick around for a year, win some games and give coming straight back up a go. 

Maybe one of the Argentines makes sense - don't think Poch comes back, that sounds silly, but Gallardo or Bielsa have almost a free hit at getting the best out of us at the highest level and if/when we do go down, have some momentum and identity to bounce back. The Championship has been quite bad this season, I think you could sell to a Sulemana, an Onuachu or an Alcaraz a season of winning most weeks but that is only if you have a solid and clear identity and a coach that gets the best out of you and that people want to play for.  

Wouldn't be suprised to see one of these Danes/Nords come in either - Thorup or Knutsen, would also be interesting and quite Saintsy. 

But not Marsch. Please. 

• Like 2

If Rasmus is involved, then the reality is that whoever we're getting now will be one of the backup choices to Nathan Jones... Let that sink in. 

After the Jones fiasco (and the obvious Semmens / Rasmus divide at the fans forum), we all better hope Semmens has been able to wrestle back enough decision making power to be allowed to use whatever is left of our recruitment department to find the next hassenhuttle instead of a Rasmus pick... 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2