What Is Happening To Our Country?

sadoldgit

Grenfell Inquiry report finally in. All the various deregulations of agencies have led to is an £170m bill paid for by us for the enquiry alone and 72 losses of life. None of the political parties emerge with much if any credit, and a lot of bullshitting and ‘that’ll do’ mentality without evidence and anywhere near sufficient testing leading to failure of the product markets and by the companies. This should lead to much better regulation of the construction and insulation industries but we know it won’t, the lobbyists and newspapers will be at it again.  

Not good for the council or fire brigade either. I can’t share it as seeing it on Apple News but The Telegraph’s article is very good and states that the chief fire safety officer or equivalent at the council was ex-fire brigade but seemingly falsified qualifications and was left with around 650 properties to oversee post-austerity. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c049yvrd5qxo

Watch the tail end of this documentary from 1984 which was primarily about the very poor construction of high rises which caused the likes of the Ronan Point disaster in 1968 but comes onto future risks from fire when the buildings were starting to be renovated 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/08/2024 at 14:09, egg said:

Starting already in Southampton. London Road has a huge police presence. Loads of scrotes assembling at the Brew house vowing to target anyone who ain't white. Businesses advised to shut up shop, and plenty heeding the warning. Hopefully a lid will be kept on it 🤞

Egg, did these people get sorted out on the end? Any more info on the scrotes who were vowing to attack non white people? 
People stoking up tensions in the pub or on social media have been getting bird but not heard any more on this lot.

On 29/09/2024 at 01:10, Mixedkebab said:

Egg, did these people get sorted out on the end? Any more info on the scrotes who were vowing to attack non white people? 
People stoking up tensions in the pub or on social media have been getting bird but not heard any more on this lot.

Don’t know about Soton specifically but certainly overseas Neo-Nazi involvement inciting and escalating the rioting and the arson attacks, in addition to Patriotic Alternative’s role domestically. PA being led by Nick Griffin’s former deputy https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp8l9gpp8yro

7 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Don’t know about Soton specifically but certainly overseas Neo-Nazi involvement inciting and escalating the rioting and the arson attacks, in addition to Patriotic Alternative’s role domestically. PA being led by Nick Griffin’s former deputy https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp8l9gpp8yro

Isn't that man black? 

1 hour ago, Gloucester Saint said:

As Braverman once said, people’s ethnicity doesn’t always determine their personal views and political ones.

It’s not a route I’d ever choose, especially if I were him.

Well yes but I've never seen a black person described as a neo nazi. I wasn't even aware that was possible. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Well yes but I've never seen a black person described as a neo nazi. I wasn't even aware that was possible. 

Some of my best friends are black neo-nazis

• Haha 2

Shocking statistic that between 2013 and 2022, 66 under-19s have been killed by falls from tower blocks https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8elp45llz4o

You could argue residents could fix it themselves - on the lowest couple of floors maybe - but above that it needs people experienced working at height to fit new latches and from the sound of it new windows on some of the 1960s and 70s stock. To let windows and doors degrade to that extent where young families are living, especially very young kids with less of a sense of danger, is unacceptable in a western country.

2 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Alex Salmond passed away suddenly after giving a speech in Macedonia this morning. 69 young these days.

Whilst not my cup of tea, still sad news. 

It was only recently that his ex-party chose not to enter into discussions with his party, resulting in the removal of the first minister.

That's how much his former party turned on him. There was still ongoing legal action.

While he lost the referendum, he emerged as still very popular outside the people who replaced him. Increasingly so, considering the obstacles he overcame to get a vote. And considering the terrible governance that succeeded him.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

“Mates of SOG?”

I left school 52 years ago but when I read Whelk’s posts it’s like being back in the playground again. 

‘Well documented’

22 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Alex Salmond passed away suddenly after giving a speech in Macedonia this morning. 69 young these days.

Whilst not my cup of tea, still sad news. 

Does his career justify using an RAF plane to bring his body home ?

The University of Nottingham is reported to have issued a notification to students that the Canterbury Tales contains "expressions of Christian faith". ( But there is no warning about there also being mentions of rape and anti-Semitism ).

29 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The University of Nottingham is reported to have issued a notification to students that the Canterbury Tales contains "expressions of Christian faith". ( But there is no warning about there also being mentions of rape and anti-Semitism ).

Any references to smoking or tobacco?

21 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I've seen them out and about with their belt buckles on show and everything.

As one was giving me a haircut he said what really gets his goat is soppy old lefties who see everyone else as far right Islamaphobes

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

Any references to smoking or tobacco?

"This story may contain nuts. This warning certainly is."

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Does his career justify using an RAF plane to bring his body home ?

I don't know the criteria, and without an axe to grind, he was first minister of Scotland.

I reckon the RAF are taking him to prevent Swinney and Sturgeon staging a Weekend At Bernie's, pretending he's alive and clearing them of all their crookedness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Did they do a warning about someone getting a poker up the arse? Probably a standard Friday night for some of those students. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Did they do a warning about someone getting a poker up the arse? Probably a standard Friday night for some of those students. 

Isn't the warning about how Christianity is depicted as sinful, antisemitic and full of sin, including rape? So the warning isn't about sensitivity to dark topics, but simply a flag that the christian beliefs being depicted are in context for the time it was written?

Seems reasonable? 

Good headline fodder for gb news, mail, telegraph etc though

14 minutes ago, pingpong said:

Isn't the warning about how Christianity is depicted as sinful, antisemitic and full of sin, including rape? So the warning isn't about sensitivity to dark topics, but simply a flag that the christian beliefs being depicted are in context for the time it was written?

Seems reasonable? 

Good headline fodder for gb news, mail, telegraph etc though

Surely any student wanting to read the Tales is perfectly aware of their historical context already. I can't imagine it being seen as a page turner or holiday read.

• Like 1

Good journalism by Sky News here, confirming beyond doubt that the summer riots were organised and driven by not only domestic far right and facist groups but also the global far right using deliberate misinformation  https://news.sky.com/story/riots-and-the-far-right-the-global-network-behind-the-violence-13232023

On 12/10/2024 at 23:38, sadoldgit said:

“Mates of SOG?”

I left school 52 years ago but when I read Whelk’s posts it’s like being back in the playground again. 

So, you like to accuse others of school playground stuff, but what was your post about the other day butting in on a sensible comment i made with stuff about reptilians?

You see this is why people get on at you. You do the exact same things that you accuse others of doing and call them out for it. Your lack of awareness of you own hypocrisy and double standards is alarming.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Gregg Wallace?

He's absolute cock. I remember he described himself as the cooking womens crumpet a while back. Who says stuff like that?? He seems to have made a career out of speaking slowly and loudly.

What about the strictly stuff that they're trying to pass off as an joke, blatantly the perv has gone in for a feel and she's stopped him now they're trying to make out it was all a bit of fun. If it was a joke it weren't a funny one.

3 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

So, you like to accuse others of school playground stuff, but what was your post about the other day butting in on a sensible comment i made with stuff about reptilians?

You see this is why people get on at you. You do the exact same things that you accuse others of doing and call them out for it. Your lack of awareness of you own hypocrisy and double standards is alarming.

Nic mate, you were doing so well until you claimed that you had made a “sensible comment.”

🐸

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I wonder when those lads who battered the police at Manchester Airport will have their day in court.

given how slick the process has become, must be any day now.

There's this remarkable thing called "Google", it lets you find out all sorts of things.

https://www.gmp.police.uk/news/greater-manchester/news/news/2024/october/statement-on-manchester-airport-incident/ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

He's absolute cock. I remember he described himself as the cooking womens crumpet a while back. Who says stuff like that?? He seems to have made a career out of speaking slowly and loudly.

What about the strictly stuff that they're trying to pass off as an joke, blatantly the perv has gone in for a feel and she's stopped him now they're trying to make out it was all a bit of fun. If it was a joke it weren't a funny one.

Jumping on him and throwing her legs around his waist at the end of the dance and clinging on to him like a limpet was ok then was it?  I believe she has previous too. Wasn't she the dancer who finished Seann Walsh's relationship? 

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Don’t envy him the situation with his son but his rudeness has been rumoured long before that

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a44816729/gregg-wallace-bbc-show-exit-rumours-rudeness/

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2276860/gregg-wallace

The other thing was that I assumed with their onset chemistry that him and John Torode were friends away from it. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/masterchef-star-gregg-wallace-cross-with-rude-strangers-who-send-him-pictures-of-bald-men-8519664.html

Not so apparently, friendly at work but not social away from it (nothing wrong with that but surprising). Torode’s partner Lisa Faulkner said something interesting at the Cheltenham Literary Festival. She won the Celebrity a few years back before she got together with Torode https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/lisa-faulkner-masterchef-greg-wallace-john-torode-b2629322.html

Apparently a clip of innuendo about a former contestant has appeared on the Sun website. If I didn’t know better I’d say the BBC were trying to ease him out.