What Is Happening To Our Country?

sadoldgit

Climate protesters getting longer prison sentences than paedophiles and terms that violent criminals could get for attempted murder?

A judge with a history of leniency to rapists, who thinks that science is just an opinion?

No wonder the prisons are full.

You might not agree with the cause or the disruption, not many do, but five years for peaceful protest when theft and burglary are no longer worth investigating and sex offenders aren't being charged?

Good luck to the new attorney general, what a mess - sack that fucking judge today, he is a man who has literally allowed rapists and paedophiles to walk free from his court in the past, he is totally unfit for the job.

• Like 1

The new minister for prisons tells us that a third of inmates shouldn’t be there and now a judge locks up peaceful protesters for 5 years at precisely the time we are looking to let offenders out early because our prisons are at bursting point. 5 years for peaceful protest? Insane.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

5 years for peaceful protest? Insane.

Agreed. Should have been 10.

The action resulted in chaos on the M25 over four successive days, causing nearly 51,000 hours of driver delays, the court heard. The protests closed parts of the motorway in Kent, Surrey, Essex and Hertfordshire.

People missed flights, medical appointments and exams. Two lorries collided, and a police motorcyclist came off his bike during one of the protests on 9 November 2022 while trying to bring traffic to a halt in a “rolling road block”.

Prosecutors alleged the protests led to an economic cost of at least £765,000, while the cost to the Metropolitan Police was put at more than £1.1m'

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I don't define it as a peaceful protest.

I don't have a problem with a custodial sentence but it's way too long. I do agree with the judge that XR etc have set themselves up as the arbiters of the speed of transition to cleaner energy. That's not how things in a democracy work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

The length will probably be reduced on appeal. The establishment know that but probably want them to feel some pain.

Give them 2 years and tell them it will double each time they are caught remotely near any future protests.

Let the selfish cunts work out the maths.

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I don't define it as a peaceful protest.

I don't have a problem with a custodial sentence but it's way too long. I do agree with the judge that XR etc have set themselves up as the arbiters of the speed of transition to cleaner energy. That's not how things in a democracy work. 

You can get 4 years for rape. 

48 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

I still consider rape and child molesting a more serious offence than making someone miss their exam -

Really? That’s what makes you such a great guy, you think outside the box. Well done, great post… 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Really? That’s what makes you such a great guy, you think outside the box. Well done, great post… 

The judge who sentenced the protesters to prison also let a convicted police office free from prison for a charge of rape, on appeal. Not because he found him not guilty, but in order “to bring this whole sorry mess to an end.”  What a great guy eh? Sexually assault a woman and it is a “sorry mess.” Try and do something about the future of the planet and you get banged up for 5 years. If you think that’s ok, do you think future generations will think of you as a great guy, or just a selfish, myopic twat? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The judge who sentenced the protesters to prison also let a convicted police office free from prison for a charge of rape, on appeal. Not because he found him not guilty, but in order “to bring this whole sorry mess to an end.”  What a great guy eh? Sexually assault a woman and it is a “sorry mess.” Try and do something about the future of the planet and you get banged up for 5 years. If you think that’s ok, do you think future generations will think of you as a great guy, or just a selfish, myopic twat? 

Just like your BLM protesters who you believed were ending racism were arrested for smashing up London in what you described as largely peaceful protests, they weren’t trying to save the planet they were attention seeking dickheads trying to cause as much disruption as possible. Ambulances didn’t make it to hospitals, people didn’t make it to flights and exams all because a few dickheads decided to cause chaos. Would you think they were great guys if your kid died in an ambulance because they couldn’t make it to hospital? If you want to save the planet there are others ways than behaving like cocks. Too right they should get banged up. In the future people won’t think there martyrs they’ll think they’re the dickheads they are 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 6

No one talking about the police incident at Manchester airport or the army officer being stabbed.

why is it that the police incident is attracting much bigger outrage than someone being stabbed multiple times outside their house? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

No one talking about the police incident at Manchester airport or the army officer being stabbed.

why is it that the police incident is attracting much bigger outrage than someone being stabbed multiple times outside their house? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

The community protest at the stabbing of an Army Officer will start any moment.

you just watch!

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Not really comparable though. As I understand it the army officer incident was result of someone mentally ill. Clearly if terrorist related then would have more coverage.

The police footage was clearly shocking. Most want police empowered but don’t expect kicks to head when on the ground. If nothing else police surely realise there will always be someone filming any incident. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, whelk said:

Not really comparable though. As I understand it the army officer incident was result of someone mentally ill. Clearly if terrorist related then would have more coverage.

The police footage was clearly shocking. Most want police empowered but don’t expect kicks to head when on the ground. If nothing else police surely realise there will always be someone filming any incident. 

Yep. Decent standards are expected of the police, and that officers conduct was appalling and that incident is rightly getting al the coverage ot deserves. The army officer incident was horrific, but altogether different. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

TBF the stabbing would have probably attracted more attention if there had been video footage. The shocking nature of the head kicking is what has made it go viral. 

Unless there is some footage of the stabbing that I haven't seen. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

When MPs defend the suspended police officer and suggest "they should get medals"  for stamping on heads and pepper-spraying witnesses, the mask slips from Reform and we see them for what they are.

Decent police officers must be horrified and casual Reform voters are probably embarrassed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Yeah they were very quick to go down the mental health route as they often do these day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

TBF the stabbing would have probably attracted more attention if there had been video footage. The shocking nature of the head kicking is what has made it go viral. 

Unless there is some footage of the stabbing that I haven't seen. 

It was horrific but let’s also not forget that 3 police officers were injured one female one with a broken nose for what I understand was just a request for a the lady passenger to show her face. What the officer did was horrific and they should rightly be punished but I’ve not heard too many people criticise the actions that led to this. 

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

Decent police officers must be horrified and casual Reform voters are probably embarrassed.

The bloke who got stamped on has a close family member who is a serving officer in GMP.

Sally Port Gardens is a barracks road and its where I park my car for work, I had left there an hour before the incident. It is surrounded by The Lines park which has a few cracks heads living in tents in the woods and attracts some unsavoury characters. There was a rape there the week before. The army are always exercising the young recruits in the park and jogging down Sally Port Gardens.

I don't know how the incident started, a colleague's husband is ex-engineers and they used to live on SPG, so I'm expecting her to know a bit more when she gets back from holiday.

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It was horrific but let’s also not forget that 3 police officers were injured one female one with a broken nose for what I understand was just a request for a the lady passenger to show her face. What the officer did was horrific and they should rightly be punished but I’ve not heard too many people criticise the actions that led to this. 

The police have form for making up or exaggerating injuries. Not saying they have here but they have in the past.

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

When MPs defend the suspended police officer and suggest "they should get medals"  for stamping on heads and pepper-spraying witnesses, the mask slips from Reform and we see them for what they are.

Even Andy Burnham has said the incident is not clear cut.

that daft reform nutjob

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I agree. Still doesn't excuse stomping on someone's head. The policeman is a cunt and needs locking up for his actions but equally the bloke is a bellend for resisting. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Yeah they were very quick to go down the mental health route as they often do these day. 

There are a lot of people with issues. Most rational people don’t stab someone for any reason. It isn’t easy for victims as in Nottingham but reality is they have paranoia/psychosis. It isn’t being soft on them but unfortunately that has to be diagnosis of the situation 

Edited by whelk

37 minutes ago, whelk said:

There are a lot of people with issues. Most rational people don’t stab someone for any reason. It isn’t easy for victims as in Nottingham but reality is they have paranoia/psychosis. It isn’t being soft on them but unfortunately that has to be diagnosis of the situation 

Maybe he does but it sounds like it was premeditated, not some random guy who lost his shit and went around stabbing people and those in that got the way were unfortunately wrong time wrong place like the Nottingham one was. What's coming out is that it was known that the officer went for walk at that time every day and the officer knew the attackers brother. Coincidence that he happened to be there on his moped at exactly that time? It "seems" like there is more to it than a guy with mental issues who lost his shit one day. 

Edited by Turkish

42 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Maybe he does but it sounds like it was premeditated, not some random guy who lost his shit and went around stabbing people and those in that got the way were unfortunately wrong time wrong place like the Nottingham one was. What's coming out is that it was known that the officer went for walk at that time every day and the officer knew the attackers brother. Coincidence that he happened to be there on his moped at exactly that time? It "seems" like there is more to it than a guy with mental issues who lost his shit one day. 

Where are you getting this info from?

The victim's solicitor is an interesting character:

Yakoob, a director at Maurice Andrews Solicitors, in Birmingham, came under investigation by the Solicitors Regulation Authority this year after he used social media to promote a false claim of racism against a young teacher.

He stood as an independent candidate in Birmingham Ladywood in the general election after coming third in the campaign for West Midlands mayor in May. He apologised in June after being criticised for saying on a podcast that “70% of hell is going to be women”, and for failing to condemn a guest saying he would give his wife a “backhander” if she made money dancing on TikTok.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

People with acute mh issues can do awful things spontaneously and with planning. His head may have told that it was ok to do this. Hard for us to comprehend I know, but sadly it happens. 

23 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Where are you getting this info from?

it's all in the news, just look for it

Soldier stabbed near Kent barracks in frenzied attack 'knew knifeman's brother' - Mirror Online

Army officer seriously hurt in unprovoked stabbing attack near barracks | The Independent

Mr Reynolds’ Ring doorbell footage captured the screams, with someone heard shouting: “What the hell are you doing?”

He was told that the victim goes for a walk every night at around 6pm.

Another witness, who lives near the Brompton Medical Centre that is close to the scene, described the officer’s wife asking for medical help.

She said she heard the woman say: “My husband has been stabbed – is there a first aider?”

4 minutes ago, egg said:

People with acute mh issues can do awful things spontaneously and with planning. His head may have told that it was ok to do this. Hard for us to comprehend I know, but sadly it happens. 

maybe, but i thought it was interesting they were very quick to go down this route, when if you look at the evidence it seems that it was clearly premeditated or just an amazing coincidence. "Mental health issues" does appear to be the default for these days.

This guy is part of the problem.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entry/lee-anderson-applauds-police-involved-in-manchester-incident_uk_66a2575ce4b0af62b424f43e/

Also normal, rational people do not go around stabbing people. Anybody who repeatedly stabs someone clearly has issues be they a sudden loss of control or deeper rooted, long term issues.

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

This guy is part of the problem.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entry/lee-anderson-applauds-police-involved-in-manchester-incident_uk_66a2575ce4b0af62b424f43e/

Also normal, rational people do not go around stabbing people. Anybody who repeatedly stabs someone clearly has issues be they a sudden loss of control or deeper rooted, long term issues.

so every single murder, attempted murder or stabbing should be treated as a mental health issue? Interesting take on it.

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

maybe, but i thought it was interesting they were very quick to go down this route, when if you look at the evidence it seems that it was clearly premeditated or just an amazing coincidence. "Mental health issues" does appear to be the default for these days.

He was probably "known" to the police, like so many have been in the past, so they probably knew about his MH issues.

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Sally Port Gardens is a barracks road and its where I park my car for work, I had left there an hour before the incident. It is surrounded by The Lines park which has a few cracks heads living in tents in the woods and attracts some unsavoury characters. There was a rape there the week before. The army are always exercising the young recruits in the park and jogging down Sally Port Gardens.

I don't know how the incident started, a colleague's husband is ex-engineers and they used to live on SPG, so I'm expecting her to know a bit more when she gets back from holiday.

Sounds like the perfect place to leave a car unattended all day!

52 minutes ago, Turkish said:

it's all in the news, just look for it

Soldier stabbed near Kent barracks in frenzied attack 'knew knifeman's brother' - Mirror Online

Army officer seriously hurt in unprovoked stabbing attack near barracks | The Independent

Mr Reynolds’ Ring doorbell footage captured the screams, with someone heard shouting: “What the hell are you doing?”

He was told that the victim goes for a walk every night at around 6pm.

Another witness, who lives near the Brompton Medical Centre that is close to the scene, described the officer’s wife asking for medical help.

She said she heard the woman say: “My husband has been stabbed – is there a first aider?”

Thanks, I've read some reports, it's was the bit about the brother I hadn't seen. That's seems a coincidence, who knows.

My colleague is actually back in today, chatting to her, she is friends with the soldiers wife, she is obviously very upset as the guy is in a bad way. 

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Might be wrong but I think it took them around 12 hours to declare that view.  Enough time I suspect to do some basic open-minded research and come to a relatively solid working hypothesis that they felt confident declaring publicly.  If, as Weston mentioned, he was known to the authorities then I guess it may have been even quicker.

Personally I was more interested in the reporting before the mental health thing came out, when Radio 4 seemed obsessed that the victim was wearing a uniform, without knowing if that was in anyway relevant.  As it turns out, if they were known to each other then I guess the uniform might have been a red herring.  So if anything, the uniform angle was leading listeners to the terrorist narrative without any real basis.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Sounds like the perfect place to leave a car unattended all day!

I know, the joys of working in Gillingham.

Really nice evening the other week and trying to get my steps up, I took the long way back to my car through The Lines. I took a wrong turn that led to a path in a small woods, I passed three cracks heads smoking crack, I stuck my head down and carried on past, then there were a couple of tents with a smacked out guy in one. Then the fuckin path stopped, so instead of going back past them all, I had to fight through 15m of brambles to get out the other side. Unscathed apart from the loss of one earphone.

The thing the worried me was if I did become a cropper everyone would be wondering what was I doing in the woods on a Friday after work with a load of crack heads. And the conclusion some would come to would be that I was looking for some cheap action.

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

that daft reform nutjob

You seem a little confused.

It wasn't Burnham who said the police should get medals for what looks like a brutal assault - he's Labour, not Reform, and he's not an MP.

Hope that helps you with what you've clearly found to be quite a difficult situation to understand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Left Back said:

Might be wrong but I think it took them around 12 hours to declare that view.  Enough time I suspect to do some basic open-minded research and come to a relatively solid working hypothesis that they felt confident declaring publicly. 

Pencil up each nostril, pants on his head I guess. Always a giveaway.

10 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

that daft reform nutjob

Happy to punch women in the face and break their nose. Don’t see anyone mentioning that. Have any of them or their supporters taken any responsibility for why they were on the floor in handcuffs in the first place?

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

It is concerning isn’t it. Riots on the streets of Leeds, a military officer stabbed in broad daylight, mass protests outside police stations all in the last week. Tensions seem to be rising.