What Is Happening To Our Country?

sadoldgit

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So many things that currently need to be addressed in the country, but apparently, 'missing Rishi' is going to give a speech outlining that all kids must study maths until they are 18!  Not sure that's the golden goose he's expecting it to be.  Some kids (and a lot of adults) are just shit at maths.  Making them study it for longer isn't the answer.

The kids of the future will be far better placed to add up their debts. Well done Rishi, that'll help. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So many things that currently need to be addressed in the country, but apparently, 'missing Rishi' is going to give a speech outlining that all kids must study maths until they are 18!  Not sure that's the golden goose he's expecting it to be.  Some kids (and a lot of adults) are just shit at maths.  Making them study it for longer isn't the answer.

In an education sector where the Association of School and College Leaders say there is a "chronic shortage of maths teachers".

This plan is just a headline for the Tory press. Strangely, Gove said the same thing in 2011, setting a 10 year timetable;. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13958422

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Does that mean he is suggesting compulsory A Level Maths? - Fuck that. I scraped through on mine but they were a right slog, and a waste of time. I can probably count on one hand the times I have actually needed to use anything from A Level maths in my career. They are certainly not for everyone.

Sunak is completely out of touch on this, I guess he thinks it’s important for everyone to be prepared for if they marry a billionaire’s daughter and have to spend half their life counting their immense wealth.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2023 at 09:00, badgerx16 said:

In an education sector where the Association of School and College Leaders say there is a "chronic shortage of maths teachers".

This plan is just a headline for the Tory press. Strangely, Gove said the same thing in 2011, setting a 10 year timetable;. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13958422

It's a variation of Brexit mindset, trying to take us back to the 1950s and focussing on the three Rs when what we really need is better vocational education leading to properly trained builders, plumbers, electricians etc. 

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

How would force-feeding all adults advanced or pure and applied maths at the age of 18 be progress, other than as a headline-grabber to distract from all the other shit?

The priority should be improving basic maths, learned in those seven years between the ages of five and ten.

• Haha 1

On 04/01/2023 at 13:24, Lord Duckhunter said:

Probably be as unhappy as you were after Ched Evans was stitched up by a bird. 

“Stitched up by a bird”. Yet again Duckie, you show that you don’t know what you are talking about (the “bird” in question did not bring the action against Evans, the CPS did and as you know, a jury initially found him guilty after considering the evidence) and show why you were so easily sucked in by Farage and UKIP. There is absolutely no comparison between these cases. Try engaging your brain for a change (what’s left of it after years of drug abuse) before posting. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

“Stitched up by a bird”. Yet again Duckie, you show that you don’t know what you are talking about (the “bird” in question did not bring the action against Evans, the CPS did and as you know, a jury initially found him guilty after considering the evidence) and show why you were so easily sucked in by Farage and UKIP. There is absolutely no comparison between these cases. Try engaging your brain for a change (what’s left of it after years of drug abuse) before posting. 

The the system found that jury verdict to be incorrect, yes?

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

It was a miscarriage of justice 🤡, so you’re clearly the one who doesn’t know what you’re talking about.

By your logic the Guildford Four are guilty. 

The cases were exactly the same, innocent men accused of crime they didn’t commit. 

17 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

You despicably branded people "rape apologists" when they pointed out the inconsistencies in the original conviction and when it was rightly overturned you never even attempted to apologise or admit your error. 

22 hours ago, Turkish said:

Fucking brilliant video. Average gym membership £40, average cost of a shower a day £14. What sort of twat "investigated" this nonsense?

It's £14 per month, not per day.

Although I seriously doubt anyone would go to the trouble of joining a gym just to use the showers. If you already have a gym membership then yes, it makes total sense. I go gym/swim 3-4 times a week and use the showers there so I rarely have one at home these days.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's £14 per month, not per day.

Although I seriously doubt anyone would go to the trouble of joining a gym just to use the showers. If you already have a gym membership then yes, it makes total sense. I go gym/swim 3-4 times a week and use the showers there so I rarely have one at home these days.

Yes it was a small error on my part. £14 a month. You only shower 3-4 times a week? That’s fucking gross. I shower a least once a day, twice sometimes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Yes it was a small error on my part. £14 a month. You only shower 3-4 times a week? That’s fucking gross. I shower a least once a day, twice sometimes.

To each his own. I wouldn't dream of showering twice a day, that's excessive and just a waste of water and electricity.

When i worked in the office i would shower every morning, but I work from home these days so it really doesn't matter how clean I smell. Plus my wife is a bit of a weirdo and actually likes the scent of my BO. she finds it 'comforting'!

25 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

To each his own. I wouldn't dream of showering twice a day, that's excessive and just a waste of water and electricity.

When i worked in the office i would shower every morning, but I work from home these days so it really doesn't matter how clean I smell. Plus my wife is a bit of a weirdo and actually likes the scent of my BO. she finds it 'comforting'!

Unlike the rest of the world no doubt.

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

10 minute shower twice a day leaves 23 hours and 40 mins of saintsweb....

I knew there was a good reason why I've recently gone over the 50,000 post mark... Not showering often enough. Either that or not enough fornication. 

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Jesus you’ll be telling us you only brush your teeth once a week now as it’s a waste of water and don’t speak to people face to face much. 

It really isn’t excessive, need to be clean and fresh. I work from home too and I’ll have a shower every morning as does the missus, plus i don’t sit around the house in tracksuit bottoms looking like a slob, one must maintain some standards. If I go to the gym during the day or evening I’ll have a shower after that too. Plus a bath a couple of times a week but that more to relax and listen to a podcast or some tunes. Maybe that’s why I still look the bollocks despite being nearer 50 than 40 these days.

I’ve heard stories before about blokes who think their missus doesn’t mind them being unclean and scruffy, these complacent slobs are then surprised when she leaves them telling all her friend he had just given up and wasn’t taking care of himself anymore and she couldn’t stand being near him. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

image.png.f4fb806b478d3f399e154f745194d900.png

6 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not that i have to justify myself to you, but promoting the efficient use of water is one of the core principles of my job, so I have to practice what I preach. 

Doesn’t wash regularly, promotes “the efficient use of water”. I’m calling sandal wearing vegan leftie…..

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not that i have to justify myself to you, but promoting the efficient use of water is one of the core principles of my job, so I have to practice what I preach. 

That gig Sounds like a barrel of laughs 

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Why does there need to be an efficient use of water?

With the ice caps melting that's the one resource we'll have an abundance of isn't it?

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Jesus you’ll be telling us you only brush your teeth once a week now as it’s a waste of water and don’t speak to people face to face much. 

It really isn’t excessive, need to be clean and fresh. I work from home too and I’ll have a shower every morning as does the missus, plus i don’t sit around the house in tracksuit bottoms looking like a slob, one must maintain some standards. If I go to the gym during the day or evening I’ll have a shower after that too. Plus a bath a couple of times a week but that more to relax and listen to a podcast or some tunes. Maybe that’s why I still look the bollocks despite being nearer 50 than 40 these days.

I’ve heard stories before about blokes who think their missus doesn’t mind them being unclean and scruffy, these complacent slobs are then surprised when she leaves them telling all her friend he had just given up and wasn’t taking care of himself anymore and she couldn’t stand being near him. 

There’s some people at our place who love to show they are wearing a tie when WFH. Find that very weird

11 minutes ago, whelk said:

There’s some people at our place who love to show they are wearing a tie when WFH. Find that very weird

No on wears ties anymore FFS. Summer a polo shirt winter a collared knit or long sleeve polo. One must maintain our standards 

Edited by Turkish

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

No on wears ties anymore FFS. Summer a polo shirt winter a collared knit or long sleeve polo. One must maintain our standards 

A quite senior manager once told me it acted like his armour and he knew he was at work so never comfortable being casual. Don’t get it at all. 

Edited by whelk

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

A quite senior manager once told me it acted like his armour and he knew he was at work so never comfortable being casual. Don’t get it at all. 

Obviously not comfortable in his ability. The tie acts like a shield from his insecurities. 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

The tie is the desk warrior's uniform! It is his shield against complacency when wfh! It is his sword to cleave the way through the pointless data of the day! 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

How do you feel about suit jacket and shirt with the collar unbuttoned, no tie.

A suit jacket is a no. But a shirt with a blazer and chinos or smart trousers even smart jeans is okay. I’d also say a quality kitted long sleeve polo shirt or roll neck, has to be cashmere, with a blazer can look very cool and smart if youre lean but looks ridiculous if you’re fat or too Muscular. 

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

A suit jacket is a no. But a shirt with a blazer and chinos or smart trousers even smart jeans is okay. I’d also say a quality kitted long sleeve polo shirt or roll neck, has to be cashmere, with a blazer can look very cool and smart if youre lean but looks ridiculous if you’re fat or too Muscular. 

Excellent tips. My wfh attire of wearing my jammies until around 11 before getting changed for a later lunchtime walk may need a review. 🙂

46 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Desalination is a useful tool in areas where there is little to no alternative, but the technology is very energy intensive and can't be scaled up sufficiently to solve the problem of increased demand and reduced supply that is already happening and projected to get much worse in the coming decades.

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Desalination is a useful tool in areas where there is little to no alternative, but the technology is very energy intensive and can't be scaled up sufficiently to solve the problem of increased demand and reduced supply that is already happening and projected to get much worse in the coming decades.

Apologies.  I thought I was answering the sarcastic post about the difference between seawater and freshwater - which is desalination ;) 

Don't worry about energy supplies, nuclear fusion will be cracked sooner or later.

On 04/01/2023 at 07:41, Weston Super Saint said:

Yep, it’s wrong-headed and a lazy, uncosted throwaway that boomers in the Mail lapped up. Bigger issue is that keeping kids with dyscalculia in Maths longer holds the scientists, programmers, coders, and statisticians of the future back. Even when I was at University mid-90s, some science degrees were going to 4 years because the freshers were behind on maths compared to previous generations. 

Better to have a foundation qualification at 14 which covers the basics so you know what is in your pay packet, mortgage statement which helps your trades of the future and kids gifted in other areas intellectually. The algebra and trig can be accelerated towards a much more advanced Maths qualification nearer a A Level or T Level for the kids stronger in maths and numbers and the basic qualification taken well before 14. So that would generate the generation Sunak says he wants for the economy, engineering, top level IT, science and academia, but doesn’t generate cheap headlines so it won’t happen.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Excellent tips. My wfh attire of wearing my jammies until around 11 before getting changed for a later lunchtime walk may need a review. 🙂

I once knew a young lady who da worked at the old Southern TV studios at Northam. She told me that the newsreaders sitting behind a desk would be all jacket and tie above the desktop but beach shorts and sandals below it where they could not be seen.