The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

9 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Because Argentina are a bunch of cheats .

Bunch of classless cunts. 

This picture when the final penalty went in shows their true colours, there’s not many teams react to the opposition like they did after a penalty knock out. Even St Messi reportedly took the piss in front of the Dutch staff at the end. I hope they suffer a cruel and painful defeat next round.

8C391E42-37C2-4DFA-A6B6-40256F64A872.jpeg

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This picture when the final penalty went in shows their true colours, there’s not many teams react to the opposition like they did after a penalty knock out. Even St Messi reportedly took the piss in front of the Dutch staff at the end. I hope they suffer a cruel and painful defeat next round.

The power of a photo with no context. Have you seen the footage of the Dutch players goading the Argentina players on their walk to the spot? Fair play to them reacting this way I’d have done the same.

Never thought I’d ever watch a game wanting Argentina to win but seeing that snake Van Dijk in the refs ear every 2 minutes tipped it in the Argies favour.

• Like 3

On 06/12/2022 at 20:45, Disco Stu said:

Is that what happened? 😦

No. Apparently the Delap deal was dead before they went for Ramos. He played well tonight but he won’t be up against defences as poor as Switzerland’s every week.

Dont know what happened about the post above, it suddenly appeared in my window when I thought it had been sent earlier in the week. Anyway…

Plenty of drama yesterday even if the football wasn’t great. Croatia did a number on Brazil so fair play to them for getting to the semis, but they have been a hard watch and I can’t say I am looking forward to watching them again. We have seen some great attacking football in the WC at times but to see teams progress due to organisation and nullifying the opposition seems to be a step back in time. What happened to the Netherlands? They didn’t look a shade of the team who played earlier and only provided a goal threat when they reverted to the big man up top/put it in the mixed tactics. Having got them back in the game, why not stick to those tactics? A poor game in the main but made interesting by the needle between the two sides and Argentinas weird decision to stop playing football when they could have put the match to bed. 
Looking forward to Morocco putting out Portugal this afternoon and potentially the match of the competition tonight, so long as both teams play to their strengths and give it a go. I have a feeling that we will see another cagey game though with the likelihood of another penalty shoot out 🥴

Edited by sadoldgit

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

Has the England line-up been leaked? Wouldn't surprise me if Southgate goes for a back five with Walker on right of Stones and Maguire and Trippier at right back to double up on Mbappe.

Word is it’s unchanged, according to sky this morning anyway

21 minutes ago, saintant said:

Has the England line-up been leaked? Wouldn't surprise me if Southgate goes for a back five with Walker on right of Stones and Maguire and Trippier at right back to double up on Mbappe.

I thought about that but the problem is who do you leave out. Henderson’s the obvious one, but I’m not convinced Rice & Bellingham have quite the influence in a 2. We’ve looked good with those 3, with Kane dropping into a 10 we certainly can out number them in central  areas and cause real issues. The freedom of playing in a 3 let Henderson & Bellingham make positive runs. 

I don’t what Saka is like defensively, but I’d let Walker go head to head with Mbappe with Saka helping him out,  and also running him the other way. We could change our whole shape, Walker and Trippier solid down the right, and watch as Mbappe gets  switched and plays against Shaw. Let’s give it a right go, go after them and make him have to help his full back out instead. Let’s see how quick he is running towards his own goal. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Don't be such a melt.

Fans take the piss mercilessly, nothing wrong with players doing it to

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bpsaint said:

The power of a photo with no context. Have you seen the footage of the Dutch players goading the Argentina players on their walk to the spot? Fair play to them reacting this way I’d have done the same.

Never thought I’d ever watch a game wanting Argentina to win but seeing that snake Van Dijk in the refs ear every 2 minutes tipped it in the Argies favour.

Different issues conflated.

Duckie is correct, the Argies showed no class.

VvD chipping in the refs ear is part and parcel of the game. Putting players off pre penalties isn't unusual. Even if the Dutch were wrong though, it doesn't stop the Argies from showing a bit of class and professionalism in victory.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

What a stupid comment.

Surely you have realised there are lots of stupid people on here?

Funny that a faux pas by a black woman gets so many worked up. This was already posted on here previously as well.

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

Surely you have realised there are lots of stupid people on here?

Funny that a faux pas by a black woman gets so many worked up. This was already posted on here previously as well.

I realised that a long time ago but sometimes the level of stupidity catches me out.

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Why is it? There is absolutely no doubt that inclusivity and diversity has gotten ridiculous. @saintant sees the world in the same way as many people, he's just more honest than most. 

There clearly is a push to have more diverse pundits but let’s be honest it is not like it has watered down a cerebral art. Has always been full of appalling grammar and lack of insight -imagine if Merson was a black woman?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

There clearly is a push to have more diverse pundits but let’s be honest it is not like it has watered down a cerebral art. Has always been full of appalling grammar and lack of insight -imagine if Merson was a black woman?

I take your point. Merson is the white male exception. His health issue (addiction) is well known, and sky would be almost as hard pressed to bin him as they would a black woman. There's also the Stelling link - he only stayed after MLT went as he wanted to support Merse. I think they'd lose Stelling if they let Merse go.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I take your point. Merson is the white male exception. His health issue (addiction) is well known, and sky would be almost as hard pressed to bin him as they would a black woman. There's also the Stelling link - he only stayed after MLT went as he wanted to support Merse. I think they'd lose Stelling if they let Merse go.

People seem to forget Merson has had a number of issues he’s dealing with. Amusing how he’s dismissed as thick, stupid, illiterate Merson by those trying to promote diversity. 

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

People seem to forget Merson has had a number of issues he’s dealing with. Amusing how he’s dismissed as thick, stupid, illiterate Merson by those trying to promote diversity. 

Indeed. Ethnicity=inclusion and errors overlooked. People like Merse suffering with a mental illness should be given at least the same level of tolerance, and opportunity. I'll never forgive him for playing for that lot though. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Probably pissed/coked up, thick twat, how is he still in a job etc etc 

Diversity won’t matter then 

He says shit like that regularly. I actually like Merson and loads of respect for his honesty. He admits to not being very bright and only this week when he was posed a question about Qatar hosting said as much. Endearing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, whelk said:

That last Portugal performance worried me a bit as looked impressive. Nothing in this game to worry anyone for our impending semi final

I think Switzerland made them look better than they really are. Their defending was shocking.

If we beat France, I think I would rather we played Portugal because Morocco are very well organised and hard working. Exactly the kind of team that England have always struggled to beat.