Hampshire CCC 2023

Window Cleaner

On 27/07/2023 at 13:23, Lighthouse said:

Take out Gubbins and we’ve scored 181 over two innings. Pathetic.

So, to sum up our latest debacle. We have just one batter,at the moment anyway,capable  of batting for any amount of time against good bowlers on a wicket helpful to them.  Our main batter keeps playing silly shots that he really shouldn't.

We have other batters who score runs against mediocre bowlers on flat wickets.

Added to that our bowlers are inconsistent, bowling pretty well with the new ball at times and then tailing off and getting tonked on occasion. We have no full time spinner in the side most of the time.

Our fielding has been less than top notch on occasions, probably because we have a few senior citizens out there.

The entire coaching structure needs a bit of an overhaul because we have promising young players who don't seem t be progressing as well as those of other counties.

Whatismore we keep losing the toss and get stuck in on bowler friendly wickets and conditions, still that's hazard I suppose. 

Edited by Window Cleaner

3 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

So, to sum up our latest debacle. We have just one batter,at the moment anyway,capable  of batting for any amount of time against good bowlers on a wicket helpful to them.  Our main batter keeps playing silly shots that he really shouldn't.

We have other batters who score runs against mediocre bowlers on flat wickets.

Added to that our bowlers are inconsistent, bowling pretty well with the new ball at times and then tailing off and getting tonked on occasion. We have no full time spinner in the side most of the time.

Our fielding has been less than top notch on occasions, probably because we have a few senior citizens out there.

The entire coaching structure needs a bit of an overhaul because we have promising young players who don't seem t be progressing as well as those of other counties.

Whatismore we keep losing the toss and get stuck in on bowler friendly wickets and conditions, still that's hazard I suppose. 

Can you name a youngster who has had as much of a breakthrough year as Turner this year?  Middleton has had a decent year as well, albeit is starting to struggle...  Prest has had a poor season but was injured for a lot of the T20

Again, we're third in the league and got to Finals Day this season.  Yes we've had disappointing performances but we've been good on the whole this year.  Why all the bashing of the coaching staff??

• Like 1

Oneday cup tomorrow.  Might see a vastly changed side if the rain-shortened bash against Dorset yesterday is anything to go by. Obviously the Hundred players won't be available, although they can be later on if they don't play in two consecutive games apparently. We had a couple of young bowlers plus Currie yesterday.  Brown kept wicket, don't know if that's theplan for the one-day cup but Donald has a broken finger for the moment. Albert seems to be back from his one game loan at Kent and Gubbins captained the side. Prest scored some quick runs and Dorset were never in with a chance, think they only made 79.

• Like 2

I went along to watch the first innings this morning but had to leave after that. A bit of a mashup of a team with a couple of new faces in there, young Eddie Jack seemed to have a tough day with the ball but I guess that’s what this competition is about for us.

Just flicking through the women’s Hundred on TV, some of these women have a serious obesity problem. We criticise players like Ollie Robinson and Luke Shaw when they turn up with a bit of extra timber but a couple of these players… completely unprofessional IMO.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I went along to watch the first innings this morning but had to leave after that. A bit of a mashup of a team with a couple of new faces in there, young Eddie Jack seemed to have a tough day with the ball but I guess that’s what this competition is about for us.

Just flicking through the women’s Hundred on TV, some of these women have a serious obesity problem. We criticise players like Ollie Robinson and Luke Shaw when they turn up with a bit of extra timber but a couple of these players… completely unprofessional IMO.

£25k for one month's cricket is pretty professional actually.

Very well paced reply from Hants.  Donald a treat to watch as usual when he gets a few runs.

Strange innings by Essex, Hants trying to bowl with a bar of wet soap because of the drizzle, umpire didn't want to go off.  At least we got a dry ball after quite a few overs though.  Currie banned from bowling after two warnings for reprehensible full tosses due to the ball slipping out of his hand.

Two wins from two,  not bad at all.  Just need for Prest to get some runs in the next game, Sunday I think it is.

Edited by Window Cleaner

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Annoyingly Trent Rockets aren't even playing Turner...

And they lost, serves them right.   In theory he'd be available for us if he doesn't play two consecutive games for Trent Rockets. But as it's the Hundred team who decide if he's released or not and we're playing Notts on friday, doubt if it'll happen this time round.

Edited by Window Cleaner

1 hour ago, Window Cleaner said:

Hants 254 all out, 49,5 overs. Fortunately we have Gubbins, Crane and Albert did fairly well. Prest and even Middleton look suspect against good bowlers on a helpful wicket. At least we have something to bowl at but I'm not all that hopeful.

Not looking a bad score now, maybe not the best pitch to score too highly on!

Good to see Wheal back and bowling fiercely, and Holland has looked very useful too

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

A decent game today between the two top sides, a little disappointed not to have posted a higher score from 150/1 at one point. Sill, we had a better day than Worcs, 108ao, and Somerset, who got walloped for 454.

Some of our bowling figures look a bit shaky though.  I thought we had Turner available, didn't play though.  Didn't see much of the game today.

Edited by Window Cleaner

59 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Some of our bowling figures look a bit shaky though.  I thought we had Turner available, didn't play though.  Didn't see much of the game today.

I went along it was decent and a close contest, which came down to fine margins. Budinger and Ackermann were both dropped in the field, a pair of absolute howlers my gran could have caught too. The latter was on about 10 at the time and went on to make nearly a ton not out, which basically won them the game. It did look to be going to the wire with about 10 overs to go, then Currie got whacked for 20 off an over and that was basically it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hodgey said:

He was excellent, no ball aside he was instrumental in their win. Begs the question why the Brave didn’t get him

I thought he was snapped up early on?  I might be wrong on that. 

The BBC did an article about him recently calling him England's version of Glenn McGrath.  Still not confirmed who he's declared for but fingers crossed he's leaning our way

Excellent bowling performance to defend that but it doesn’t cover up our batting deficiencies. The last two games we’ve been 153/1 and 130/0 and failed to reach 300 and 250 respectively. This squad is definitely a couple of batters light. Brown looking especially poor with 21 in his last 3 games.

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

A stroll in the Guildford sunshine so far, a quiet stress free Sunday afternoon.

( Hope that doesn't jinx things ).

It certainly didn't, and the NRR improved too!

Unfortunately Leicestershire also won (they have completed their fixtures). Hants are guaranteed a top 2 finish, and to finish top (and get a bye to the semis) must beat Kent by a big enough margin to overtake Leicestershire's NRR. Eliminating Kent would be a nice by-product.

On 20/08/2023 at 23:02, Andrew Watson said:

Winning the group and eliminating Kent would be fantastic Mark. Might be easier said than done though,lets keep our fingers crossed.

Looking fairly unlikely. Bowling looks fairly impotent, Crane, Organ, the two youngsters, Holland and Barker.  Not getting hit for shedloads but with only 2 wickets down , Kent will as likely kick on and we'll be chasing 300+.  No Gubbins or Weatherly today, iffy batting line up. Still we didn't need to win to be second so it's not any great problem.  

Live stream pretty awful, sound not sychchronised to image feed and too much background chatter. Still it's free and from an out-ground so what can you do.

Got some wickets towards the end to keep their total down a bit, 326 is quite a big total to chase. Don't know the Newport ground really and the quality of the stream is pretty limited so can't say if there are short boundaries or not.  Really a bit amateur the stream today, sometimes you're looking at the sky, sometimes a player's feet and for me the picture is about 2 seconds behind the commentary, so that you know what's happened before you see it. 

7 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Any idea how many overs they have to get the runs in, in order to overtake Leics NRR? Calculators needed I think. 

Probably not worth worrying about. They've probably said on the commentary but as I've had to mute it I couldn't say. Won't be a lot anyway and we'll probably struggle to make their total with all of our overs.