Hampshire CCC 2023

Window Cleaner

5 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

No Vince. 🙁

Everybody else though.  But no Vince.  Actual side will probably be about the same as the semi though. Unless Fuller replaces Barker for some reason or other. Only other option I could see is Donald behind the stumps, Brown out Fuller in.

We'll find out soon enough. 

Leics chose to bat first. We lost the toss then.  Strange line-up. Currie in, Albert out.  Fuller and Wheal in the 16 named yesterday but not in the XI.

Weatherly in though. 

We'll have to see how we get on but Currie troubles me, he's sometimes a bit expensive if an opposition batter gets after him.  Same as Crane. 

22 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Hope we haven't thrown this away by poor bowling choices.  

We have certainly made it more difficult than it might have been.

Edit:

That may be a few too many to chase, but perhaps my football supporter mode is clouding the cricket supporter.

Edited by badgerx16

That just seemed to slip through our hands about five teams in one match. We were the better team, just failed completely to put them to the sword when clearly on top, not to mention a top class innings from Swindells.

Leicester 19-4, boom!

Halfway through their innings, 89-6, we should be pegging them to 150-200.

Hants 116-2, we should easily chase them down.

Dawson getting out to a daft scoop shot with a man at deep backward square

Needing just 10 off the last 11 balls.

Correct, I think fielding was the main difference, they had a great run out and a couple of slick catches, we put down a sitter and were sloppy in the field - a couple of the misfields were appalling.

These things come home to roost when games are decided on fine margins.

It was a long way to go to hang out with Leicester City fans again, didn't bother to wait and see them lift the trophy.

Fuller for Crane and we would have probably won

I feel sorry for Crane who was over hyped and has achieved little

I remember Alan Terry Castell  who began as a leg-break and googly bowler but later switched to medium-pace was going to be the next best thing 60 years ago.

for his  9th wicket stand of 230 with Danny Livingstone against Surrey in 1962 

At 117 for2 we were in control,at 141 for5 a few overs later we were not, that is the main reason we lost the game. Dawson and Weatherly had a big repair job which was needed and accomplished. To get so far and falter in the very last over is galling to say the least. In my opinion no blame whatsoever on Dawson he batted sensibly and magnificently.

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I wonder if we’re planning to get Turner into this team next season. Bas, Abbott and Big Keith can’t go on forever.

Probably, some rotation perhaps.

As our retained list is amongst the last to be made public we don't really know yet what the plan is for next year.

I can see Holland being released and maybe Crane as well if some other county is interested by him. Currie has gone on loan to Leics for their last three games so maybe he'll be off as well. 

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

Probably an element of going through the motions as a team as well.  We've nothing but pride to play for and Essex still have a slim chance at the championship.  Fully expect us to lose this one

The youngsters will want to do well to make sure of their place in the team.

4 hours ago, Picard said:

The youngsters will want to do well to make sure of their place in the team.

Well, I couldn't begin to speculate on the motivation of the players but the bowling line up for this game was just wrong, having lost the toss again.

Nothing in the wicket for the slow bowlers who just got smacked around by all and sundry.  So without a little more help from the weather we'll probably get beaten by an innings again.

With Warks and Lancs not very far behind us on points we could easily lose 2 places in these two difficult games. Fortunately Lancs aren't getting much play though.

There are a lot of players who haven’t pushed on in 4 dayers. Weatherly has never done it (but looks an improving white ball player), Organ hasn’t progressed, Donald clearly has talent but is out early more often than not (although being reserve gloves man may help), and you have to wonder how much longer our 3 seamers can keep going. Crane needs to move for everyone’s sake and what happened to Campbell ? Wheal I assume will be white ball. If we find a quality opener then Holland may struggle for games.

I see something in Currie so hope we stick with him, Turner is just class, and I do feel Albert could be a good opener (still need experience there). There are a few other promising youngsters coming through as well like Kelly, jack and eckland. Hopefully next year is a breakout one for Prest - with his talent no reason he shouldn’t be talked about internationally if he has a good season.

8 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

Terrific win, brilliant today from Dawson and Vince and a mention to Abbott,if only we had battled this hard in earlier championship defeats.

Easy to say, but yesterday we were 32/4 , Vince was dropped on 16 and Dawson could have been given out caught but the umpire (and Dawson himself) thought otherwise. Yadav said he'd caught it, Dawson said oh no you didn't and the umpire went with him.

So at the end of the day we got lucky this time and perhaps didn't on other occasions.

Was an interesting game as the Youngsters did really well 1st innings, and fell apart in the 2nd. Guess we shouldn’t be too surprised at that given experience / pressure etc. But without Abbott, Dawson and Vince it would have been a very convincing Essex win.

Out batting is definitely worse this year.  Only 18 BP scored in 14 matches is terrible, and only the bottom 4 teams have scored fewer.  Given we're currently third and won't finish lower than 4th that's pretty poor.

Still there's is hope if Middleton, Albert & Prest can all kick on next year.  I think we should be signing a world class overseas opener if we can though for next season.  Abbas is great, but opener is a position we've struggled with for years

Pretty sure all the above list except Crane and Wood are contracted for next season. I think the fact that we have signed the likes of Whitely and Howells in the last 2 years in some way impacts the club in signing a decent opener for red ball cricket. After all there is only so much a county can spend on its yearly playing budget and we do not want to break these rules like Durham allegedly did in 2016 and end up with a fine and being relegated. Do not disagree with the sentiment though Lighthouse.

Can't see wood being released.  He's only white ball anyway.  Crane is probably better off going elsewhere like Briggs, but we have no replacement so suspect we will retain.  I suspect we want Turner for red ball next year, but there's an outside chance he could be on regular England duty pretty soon.

I think there is a real dearth of county openers out there, so if we are serious about plugging that pretty huge hole overseas seems the only option 

5 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

Abbas and Abbott are our overseas players and they have another year on their contract so no overseas batsman next year 

Didn't realise they both have another year.  Tbf a bowling attack of Abbas, Abbott, Turner, Barker and Dawson should mean we bowl most teams out for under 200!!