Tyler Dibling

Dusic

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Given he's in the final year of his contract, the second he starts performing well in the prem he'll be gone, or as a minimum have the club over a barrel contract wise.

He's a quality talent that clubs can sign up for free and keep and develop for years. That's PSR gold. 

⬆️ Read the last 10 posts. He has a contract until June 2026. If Dusic is correct we have an option of another year, which surely we would exercise.

• Like 3

Interesting comments in Transfer thread about what position did he play in etc, and reply that he “floated around” a bit yesterday. 

Dibling is clearly a talent, and at Oxford the other night he did look reminiscent of MLT in his running style and close control. 

Concern I’d have for Dibling is how managers would look to maximise his impact or try to pigeon hole him into a specific role. Not sure the modern game would allow us to tell him just to go out there and do his thing, creating mayhem for the opposition, etc. MLT would find it more difficult to break through now.

Modern coaches might be more inclined to the Branfoot style (don’t forget your defensive duties) rather than Bally ( taking the shackles off and allowing him to play as a ‘free spirit’). 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Badger said:

Interesting comments in Transfer thread about what position did he play in etc, and reply that he “floated around” a bit yesterday. 

Dibling is clearly a talent, and at Oxford the other night he did look reminiscent of MLT in his running style and close control. 

Concern I’d have for Dibling is how managers would look to maximise his impact or try to pigeon hole him into a specific role. Not sure the modern game would allow us to tell him just to go out there and do his thing, creating mayhem for the opposition, etc. MLT would find it more difficult to break through now.

Modern coaches might be more inclined to the Branfoot style (don’t forget your defensive duties) rather than Bally ( taking the shackles off and allowing him to play as a ‘free spirit’). 

Good grief, is he that slow?

• Haha 4

I think we have to hope this is Dibling's break through season because it would be like signing a quality new player for free. He has been great in pre-season so must be in the running to start in our final friendlies and possibly a contender for the Newcastle match.  It'd be a gamble but maybe one worth taking. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saintant said:

I think we have to hope this is Dibling's break through season because it would be like signing a quality new player for free. He has been great in pre-season so must be in the running to start in our final friendlies and possibly a contender for the Newcastle match.  It'd be a gamble but maybe one worth taking. 

Not really a gamble.  Play Edozie instead?  A player that could not hit a barn door and flatters to deceive every time he plays?

If Tyler does not get good minutes this season he should look elsewhere.  It's both encouraging and scary at the same time that he and SAA seem to have been our best players this pre-season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, washsaint said:

Not really a gamble.  Play Edozie instead?  A player that could not hit a barn door and flatters to deceive every time he plays?

If Tyler does not get good minutes this season he should look elsewhere.  It's both encouraging and scary at the same time that he and SAA seem to have been our best players this pre-season.

If he is deemed good enough then he will get game time. Presumably pre-season tells us that they are considering including him in the first team (men's*) squad

* for @Trousers

• Like 1

I'm wondering ?....IF  Newcastle can remember when Dibling played against their U21 side up there...a season or so ago? , 

....and he scored a hat-trick with three identical moves.   There is video clip somewhere on the net....

OK.... it wasn't a Prem. match, but maybe lightening could striker twice ?

• Like 1

I've just seen the Millwall highlights on the OS: he does have a certain abiility, doesn't he?! Plus a bit of deceptive pace too. Like you I remember those strikes against Newcastle U21, and what struck me then was the absence of significant backlift in his powerful shots.

Here's hoping...

I would be interested to play a front 3 with Dibling in the middle, but sat back, and AA front right, with BBD front left. You'd then have Downes sat behind with Smallbone. I think thats why we're looking at O'Riley/Carvalho for that role, with Dibling off the bench. 

It then means we can play 5 at the back with two roaming full backs to get beyond the forwards. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I would be interested to play a front 3 with Dibling in the middle, but sat back, and AA front right, with BBD front left. You'd then have Downes sat behind with Smallbone. I think thats why we're looking at O'Riley/Carvalho for that role, with Dibling off the bench. 

It then means we can play 5 at the back with two roaming full backs to get beyond the forwards. 

This is exactly what I think we should do.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I like Dibling but surely we need to sign a quality number 9 to play up front - we have failed in this quest season after season.

26 minutes ago, saintant said:

I like Dibling but surely we need to sign a quality number 9 to play up front - we have failed in this quest season after season.

Who we signing with no money allocated to a quality number 9? Answers on a postcard. And if we keep on failing, is it really worth continuing to attempt it? 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Who we signing with no money allocated to a quality number 9? Answers on a postcard. And if we keep on failing, is it really worth continuing to attempt it? 

Well we wasted money on a clearly crocked Stewart - no need for answers on a postcard on that one. Mara was another waste of money as was Tall Paul. Add together what we've chucked down the drain on those three players and it amounts to a fair sum. Seems the problem is with those who scout and recruit these players because they don't appear to have a Scooby. At some stage we have to address the problem of striker or our struggles to score goals at the highest level will continue. Surely there is someone at the club capable of identifying a goalscorer who is fit and available within our budget.

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Well we wasted money on a clearly crocked Stewart - no need for answers on a postcard on that one. Mara was another waste of money as was Tall Paul. Add together what we've chucked down the drain on those three players and it amounts to a fair sum. Seems the problem is with those who scout and recruit these players because they don't appear to have a Scooby. At some stage we have to address the problem of striker or our struggles to score goals at the highest level will continue. Surely there is someone at the club capable of identifying a goalscorer who is fit and available within our budget.

Well no, I'd say given your analysis above, there is no-one at the club capable. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Well no, I'd say given your analysis above, there is no-one at the club capable. 

Then we'd better get someone in who is capable and be quick about it.

23 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

That role would be absoultely perfect for Alcaraz. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I thought he did very well in his Premier League debut today. He's always been a big, strong lad for an attacking player and thought he looked physically up to it. Won a few fouls and kept the ball well, but a shame he didn't have a go at one of his driving runs.

He's been showing Premier League potential since he was 15, so its good for him and the academy to have nurtured the talent so well.

After the window closes, a long-term deal for him must be a priority.

• Like 4

New contract please or he will be gone next summer with just a year left.

He is our best chance of a big PSR boost in future so need to protect the asset as will be a top PL player in a couple of years.

• Like 5

There's a reason he was one of the hottest youth properties in the country at his age group. He should turn out to be a class player.

I've spoken to a good few parents and kids who watched or played with him throughout his youth days, every single one of them said he was incredible.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

New contract please or he will be gone next summer with just a year left.

He is our best chance of a big PSR boost in future so need to protect the asset as will be a top PL player in a couple of years.

If it's gotten that close to running out already something tells me he's letting it run down intentionally. 

Get him in the starting line up immediately. We need to abandon the safe set up and get some players in the side who can actually create something, Dibling, Alcaraz and Sulemana.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If it's gotten that close to running out already something tells me he's letting it run down intentionally. 

Get him in the starting line up immediately. We need to abandon the safe set up and get some players in the side who can actually create something, Dibling, Alcaraz and Sulemana.

Sulemana, are you kidding me? What do some fans still see in that fraud? When has he ever created anything?

Replace Sulemana with SAA and you have a point.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Signed a new contract in December, so nothing tells me he’s letting it run down intentionally.

That said I do agree with the second part of your post and hope we are “brave” enough to give him a lot of playing time and a new contract soon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Sulemana, are you kidding me? What do some fans still see in that fraud? When has he ever created anything?

Replace Sulemana with SAA and you have a point.

He's only got a couple of goals and assists for us granted but he's still young and hasn't even played the full equivalent of a season for us yet - he's only got 20 starts since coming here. He's also shown plenty of pace, dribbling ability and can shoot dangerously. 

Long story short, he is erratic but causes problems.

What we're doing at the moment causes no problems at all, and it frustrates the hell out of me to see big money signings being frozen out and not even trying to utilize their strengths in some way because we've committed to a style of play that we all know is going to get us relegated. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He's only got a couple of goals and assists for us granted but he's still young and hasn't even played the full equivalent of a season for us yet - he's only got 20 starts since coming here. He's also shown plenty of pace, dribbling ability and can shoot dangerously. 

Long story short, he is erratic but causes problems.

What we're doing at the moment causes no problems at all, and it frustrates the hell out of me to see big money signings being frozen out and not even trying to utilize their strengths in some way because we've committed to a style of play that we all know is going to get us relegated. 

I thought we would be more efficient than we have been on our return to the premier league, creating chances, but after our lame attacking vs especially Forest, I'd like to see Sulemana on the pitch too.
Unless we sign one or two effectful createurs / goal scorers (quite unlikely I fear) - playing Sulemana when he is fit can't go much more south than what we've seen so far.

I sincerely hope Dibling progresses to enhance the raw talent he obviously has.
He has quite a bit to learn but one thing he does do, which is lacking in Smallbone and Aribo, is look to turn on the ball and make forward progress when the ball is played to him when facing his own goal.
Both Smallbone and Aribo will pass the ball backwards or sideways as they dont possess the same level of skill as Dibling..
Tyler has to learn to release the ball when running into crowded spaces but he has the capability to do this so fingers crossed he will turn into an excellent prospect.
Problem is, of course, he will then be sold on to a club with more money but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

2 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

This lad is going to be great. Looks a natural number 10. 

Gave it away a few times but you've got to accept he will do that now and again - don't care when he comes away with two assists. 

1 minute ago, Wiggles31 said:

This lad is going to be great. Looks a natural number 10. 

Yep. No need to hold him back anymore. Get him in the first team. He's gonna do great things, so I just hope we get to see some of them in a Saints shirt before he inevitably gets poached from us.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Yep. No need to hold him back anymore. Get him in the first team. He's gonna do great things, so I just hope we get to see some of them in a Saints shirt before he inevitably gets poached from us.

Again.

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think I'd give him a start against Brentford. I understand we have to protect him but that boy is special. 

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

RM said he had to play well tonight. Two assists plus his all round performance says he did. Just think he’s taken Will or Joes position for the next match. 

As posted on the match thread, I'd be surprised if Russ starts him on Saturday after running himself into the ground this evening. You never know though. If not this weekend, he has to become a regular starter.