Burnley 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Valery off for Che Adams, Lyanco off for Salisu please.

Let’s just accept that Burnley away isn’t the sort of physical games for these two… It’s one thing dealing with Nketiah, another completely different beast with Weghorst.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Slightly harsh imo. Prowse too weak to be beaten soo easily. 

Prowse was shite which didn't help. After the header, Forster pushed Cork away, got himself set, then stood there. 

1 minute ago, kevdoh said:

He literally used both jwp shoulders to climb that high. That and cork being offside there's no way that goal should stand

That is absolutely not a foul. Had prowse been stronger, he could have at the very least made it a harder header for him.

No evidence that it touched cork. 

Goal is right to be given. 

3 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Not the set up. If the players can't be bothered what do u expect him to do. Tactics don't make you world beaters all of a sudden.

It’s quite possible the players get demoralised with the dysfunctional set ups and selections.  It worked against Arsenal, but in reality we got away with a freakish result. It has been abysmal tonight yet he stuck with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Indeed, each to own. He'd been brilliant, but for me, he could have done better there although fair to say the defence let him down, again. 

He has no time between getting Cork clear, to the header coming in, to him knowing whether Cork is going to kick it on the way through (which is clearly offside interfering in play for the keeper, you can see forster hesitate as it goes to Cork). Defence didn't deal with the previous attack or the corner well.

The issue here is a back 3 of Valery, lyanco, bednarek. 

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Maybe romeu can get some heading tips from burnely, he should of scored at least one of his free headers, its inexcusable, we might not be playing better but still 1 goal might of given the team confidence.

Not sure who to bring on but I there is plenty of choice who to take off.

Well wieghorst missed a sitter for them so he better not get tips from him.

First was awful(massive space to get the ball into, second was tougher chance imo. Worse than missed chances Romeu has been bad at his day job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

2nd goal Valery has a simple pass to KWP, gives it away, chases back and gives a corner away from which Burnley score. Sums up this shit show.

He shouldn't be anywhere near our squad, he couldn't even get in the Birmingham City side last season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Team fighting for their lives vs a team with nothing to play for. Hardly surprising. Get Adams and Redmond on for Valery and Stu and go for it. They pissed away a two goal lead to us before

MIA Redmond walking football, just what we need.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Weak and feeble. Again.

Bullied I'd say. We have a lot of pussies in the side, good when the going is good and they have it their way, but they are absolute wimpy when they are bullied by anyone.

That's probably because the only player with any genuine physical presence is Romeu, we need more strength down the spine and that's been obvious for years.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BotleySaint said:

It does look worse in slow motion but you could argue JWP should be stronger there or should have gone down 

This. If JWP goes down like a sack of spuds the moment he feels a touch on his shoulder then the attacker never gets high enough for the header.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Watching the replay of the second - Cork's reaction is very telling. If he knew he didn't touch it then why didn't he celebrate immediately with the rest of the Burnley players?

Looks to me like he knew he got a touch and expected it to be ruled out.

You don’t allow goals or not based on a reaction.

there was no way it was going to be ruled out when given

I was about to post the only saving grace was that we were only 1-0 at half time ... 

• The tactics are wrong. We look really uncomfortable in this shape and Burnley are strolling through us with no pressure on the ball. I have no clue what our plan is today and it looks like the players don't either.
  • Where the f*ck has the press gone?!? Yes Burnley want it more but I'm gutted for any who have travelled to watch us go through the motions.
  • The team selection is wrong. Our back three is dreadful. I don't like when players are written off but, Norwich aside, this has to be one of the least convincing CB set ups I've seen in the league all season. 
  • What have Adams and Salisu done to not be starting? In a game crying out for physicality neither are playing.
  • Is Broja arsed? We're not creating much but he looks a shadow on the player from a few months ago.
  • Romeu should have scored one or both of his chances - both very good.
  • Question marks about the second goal but frankly we're lucky they've not hit three or four so it'd be sour grapes to whinge about it too much. We need to look at ourselves and do something much different in the second half.

I have so much time for Ralph and stepping away I'll probably want him to be given a well backed transfer window to see what he can do but I'm starting to think his time may be coming to an end. Yes he needs to be adaptable but we are at our best playing front foot, high press football. I can't see how this set up fits with what we're trying to do and it doesn't seem geared up to any particular threat Burnley offer.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint86 said:

He has no time between getting Cork clear, to the header coming in, to him knowing whether Cork is going to kick it on the way through (which is clearly offside interfering in play for the keeper, you can see forster hesitate as it goes to Cork). Defence didn't deal with the previous attack or the corner well.

I've just seen it again at full speed. Fair points lads, Forster couldn't do much about that. 

• Like 4

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Well wieghorst missed a sitter for them so he better not get tips from him.

First was awful(massive space to get the ball into, second was tougher chance imo. Worse than missed chances Romeu has been bad at his day job.

His xg said he should have missed that. We’re unlucky not to be drawing.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Watching the replay of the second - Cork's reaction is very telling. If he knew he didn't touch it then why didn't he celebrate immediately with the rest of the Burnley players?

Didn’t celebrate because he is an ex player 😂 

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Exactly what I thought. He looked guilty as soon as it went in. Sadly there's no version of snicko with VAR.

Just now, obelisk said:

Not sure I can be arsed but carry this form into next season and Saints will be in Burnley's position next season.

Is the plan to get Everton relegated?

We said the same last season to be fair. We'll always accumulate enough points to be a nothing team stuck between 11th-14th, but until we had some steal down the spine and better quality in the 10's then we'll never really push above that.

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

Broja has got not support whatsoever hence why Ralph needs to revert to two upfront. Bring Salisu on at the back for much more physicality.

Lyanco and Valery off. Adams and salisu on. I'd go with that! 

• Like 1

I was surprised by the line up. What worked for Arsenal, wasn't what you'd against a relegation threatened team. But we were the brighter in the first 5 mins.  That flattered to receive. I looked away, and when I looked back it had gone to pieces. Burnley harder working, Bednerak giving Burnley an easy decision to shoot, Valery struggling, Romeu having a poor game which never goes well for us, JWP out fought and no coherent play from us. The only one with credit is they guy who's going. Not for the first time either.

4 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

It does look worse in slow motion but you could argue JWP should be stronger there or should have gone down 

Var sees everything in slow motion no?

It's absolutely impossible for jwp or anyone to get off the floor with 2 hands on your shoulders 

Our key stat is how much our players run, the fact that they all look like chickens with their heads off seems to pass Ralph by. 

once again frantic and individual. No team strategy and tactics or approach. Travel in hope, live in despair. 

still the after match survey will show that all is ok because the cushions are soft and the pies tasty 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Burnley 2-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic