Burnley 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

On 19/04/2022 at 03:28, Pilchards said:

Hoping Saints put on a great display for the travelling fans and the TV cameras.

Just wish Burnley would get some extra points elsewhere and send Everton down as I totally hate them with passion.  Not going to be disappointed with an entertaining draw but I would love it if Ralph puts some youth on the pitch for at least a half.

I like that line up. If things aren’t going to plan then bring Adam’s on and play 2 up top.

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Or because of Ramadan?

Djenepo and Walcott don’t even make the bench these days.

Doubtful, but if it is, it’s a fucking joke we are letting a multi million pound assets and one of our best players, detriment his performance due to fasting. 

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Or because of Ramadan?

Djenepo and Walcott don’t even make the bench these days.

He had dropped off way before Ramadan, but for reasons I could never fathom he has always been immune from criticism, whereas the other two only have to fart in the wrong direction to get slaughtered. 

Really don't like the 5 at back per se, we may have beaten Arsenal but we're really poor offensively,  I get it against the better sides but against the likes of teams around us I'd like us to stick with the 4 at back with KWP and Perroud in correct position and possibly going 433 or 4141, hopefully it works tonight but seems too negative for me 

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Doubtful, but if it is, it’s a fucking joke we are letting a multi million pound assets and one of our best players, detriment his performance due to fasting. 

Are you suggesting Saints should force feed him during daylight hours against his wishes? 🤔

Animated GIF

Edited by Matthew Le God

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Can't agree with you on this one Dman. Gotta respect the man's faith, and if it effects his performance significantly, then benching him is the right call. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Are you suggesting we shouldn't allow him to observe Ramadan?

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Are you suggesting Saints should force feed him during daylight hours against his wishes? 🤔

If he can’t perform to the required level, because of, let’s be Frank, personal choice, Then we shouldn’t be paying him the same as when he can. 

3 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Really don't like the 5 at back per se, we may have beaten Arsenal but we're really poor offensively,  I get it against the better sides but against the likes of teams around us I'd like us to stick with the 4 at back with KWP and Perroud in correct position and possibly going 433 or 4141, hopefully it works tonight but seems too negative for me 

I think it’s going to be more likely 3 at the back. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

If he can’t perform to the required level, because of, let’s be Frank, personal choice, Then we shouldn’t be paying him the same as when he can. 

Can I assume you also believe women shouldn't receive maternity pay for the 'personal choice' of becoming a mother then?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Against Arsenal it was more of a 541 formation. Tonight is more likely to look like 343, so very different.

Perraud, Walker-Peters, Armstrong and Elyounoussi will likely be a lot further forward than the weekend.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Can I assume you also believe women shouldn't receive maternity pay for the 'personal choice' of becoming a mother then?

The same Maternity, which is a reduced wage? Yeah kinda the same I guess. 

Although women don’t usually have roles which their absence could lead to relegation and millions of lost revenue. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Can't agree with you on this one Dman. Gotta respect the man's faith, and if it effects his performance significantly, then benching him is the right call. 

Tbf I don’t think it is because of Ramadan, I did say that, sport science is at a place where they can probably mitigate the effects of the fast and it doesn’t seem to effect any other players.

That being said, i find it baffling that clubs just accept that they could miss out on a top 4 or title / relegation due to it. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Tbf I don’t think it is because of Ramadan, I did say that, sport science is at a place where they can probably mitigate the effects of the fast and it doesn’t seem to effect any other players.

That being said, i find it baffling that clubs just accept that they could miss out on a top 4 or title / relegation due to it. 

He's definitely tailed off before Ramadam, but a club can't sign a practicing Muslim and refuse to accept that he must fast in Ramadam. Fans must accept it too. 

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't stopping Mohamed Elyounoussi starting games.

Has this been said anywhere? 
Or is that an assumption due to name 🤔

(Last year Ralph confirmed Diallo/Djenepo/Salisu as observing it, don’t think anyone asked him this year)

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Has this been said anywhere? 
Or is that an assumption due to name 🤔

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/26/mohamed-elyounoussi-southampton-interview

There was even a pizza named after Elyounoussi on the menu, although his Muslim faith means he has never tasted the Moi Special. “The toppings were actually things I can’t eat,” he says. “Ham, pepperoni, stuff like that. My father had 23 pizzas on the menu. He added No 24 and at the time that was the number on my shirt.”

We should be winning these type of games but our record against Burnley isn't great they usually sneak a point or more! Will be a tough game and I don't think we are good enough in the final third or defensively

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/26/mohamed-elyounoussi-southampton-interview

There was even a pizza named after Elyounoussi on the menu, although his Muslim faith means he has never tasted the Moi Special. “The toppings were actually things I can’t eat,” he says. “Ham, pepperoni, stuff like that. My father had 23 pizzas on the menu. He added No 24 and at the time that was the number on my shirt.”

I’m not questioning his faith, but whether he is fasting.

Some Muslim players don’t fast on matchdays, or some players believe they are exempt for the whole month because they are elite sportsmen. 
As far as I’m aware his stance hasn’t been confirmed anywhere.

This'll be a fairly dull draw. There I said it, ridicule me after the game. 

Would be nice to see Broja score. Hoping for some Perraud excitement, I like him. 

I still get a squeaky bum when I see Valery on the team sheet even though he's hardly let us down so far! 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Burnley 2-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic