Striker comparisons (split)

TWar

Broja is not good enough for Chelsea in my view and probably will be made available for transfer this summer. The question then will be do we really want him? My personal opinion is that he is too one dimensional and easy to work out and play against, hence his poor statistics. I would not bring him in personally, we have not seen enough to convince that he will be the future star that many are forecasting.

Our recent track record at finding strikers has not been impressive, we have ended up with enough people like Adams and Armstrong cluttering up our wage bill and hard to move on to even get our money back. Broja has had his many chances to polish his credentials here but the more games he plays the less he impresses. We may have made Chelsea decision about his future easier for them but we should not fall into the trap of signing him just because he becomes available.

People spiel the crap about his age but Livramento has proven the lie to that. If they're good enough they are old enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I'd have thought we'd get a fair amount of Armstrong's £15m back in summer. He's still a decent Championship striker, somebody hoping to chase promotion next season will probably take him on.

I think we'll continue to develop him and he'll play a bigger role next season. Che played behind Long for most of his first season.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Broja is not good enough for Chelsea in my view and probably will be made available for transfer this summer. The question then will be do we really want him? My personal opinion is that he is too one dimensional and easy to work out and play against, hence his poor statistics. I would not bring him in personally, we have not seen enough to convince that he will be the future star that many are forecasting.

Our recent track record at finding strikers has not been impressive, we have ended up with enough people like Adams and Armstrong cluttering up our wage bill and hard to move on to even get our money back. Broja has had his many chances to polish his credentials here but the more games he plays the less he impresses. We may have made Chelsea decision about his future easier for them but we should not fall into the trap of signing him just because he becomes available.

People spiel the crap about his age but Livramento has proven the lie to that. If they're good enough they are old enough.

Yeah absolutely. He was young but so was Obafemi. He's better than Obafemi for me, of course, but being young isn't a guarantee of improving and his rate has been a bit disappointing, a player you'd expect to improve you'd think would get better over the course of the season. Starting hot and falling away hard is moving in the wrong direction.

7 hours ago, TWar said:

For me that's a great deal more concerning because he just isn't involved at all.

that's not true though. It was Broja's excellent hold up play that started the move that lead to Che's fluffed shot. Nether Che or Broja had good games yesterday, but the service was shite and we created pretty much fuck all. That's partly on them of course but also a reflection of how the team has ben playing.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TWar said:

Thing is, Broja was on a dip before the team dipped. He hasn't scored in 9 but we've only been poor for 5 games. 

I thought you were a stats man? He scored against West Ham and that was 6 games ago, not 9. Not that scoring is the mark of a good performance or not scoring the mark of a bad one.

Oh, and it's not true at all that has form dipped prior to the team. He was outstanding at Old Trafford and good against Everton too IMO. The first game that you could really have a pop is Norwich, and he wasn't terrible, he was just a bit ineffective as they parked the bus. The next game was West Ham and he came off the bench and won it for us. Villa and Newcastle he wasn't good - but who was? Against Watford he came on as a sub in the second half and he got 27 minutes against City. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thought you were a stats man? He scored against West Ham and that was 6 games ago, not 9. Not that scoring is the mark of a good performance or not scoring the mark of a bad one.

Oh, and it's not true at all that has form dipped prior to the team. He was outstanding at Old Trafford and good against Everton too IMO. The first game that you could really have a pop is Norwich, and he wasn't terrible, he was just a bit ineffective as they parked the bus. The next game was West Ham and he came off the bench and won it for us. Villa and Newcastle he wasn't good - but who was? Against Watford he came on as a sub in the second half and he got 27 minutes against City. 

Must have misscounted across competitions. 6 games since last goal. Still not good but better than I thought.

Edited by TWar

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Spot on mate. Everyone else gets a bit of grace, you never see him calling out A Armstrong for his faults. 

it’s an agenda to try and back up his stupid comment and to try and look like he has far greater knowledge than everyone else. 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Must have misscounted across competitions. 6 games since last goal. Still not good but better than I thought.

Mistakes are starting to become a regular thing now aren’t they. Happens when you base your opinion on what you read on Reddit, rather than actually understanding football. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TWar said:

All I did was say that as a team struggling for goals, our starting striker being on a 9 game goal drought is probably not helping. Any other year this would be half the comments in the postmatch thread but Broja seems to be uncriticisable without a load of kickback.

It's like people on here wildly overrated him and when you point out he's actually had a bang average season it's unfair because he's young. People never seemed to have that complaint about Obafemi who had more goals per 90 than Broja puts up by a good margin.

Because people watch football to decide what they think of said player. Not whatever Reddit says. 

Just for clarity, because it sounds like it to me, are you saying that Obafemi is better (or has a higher ceiling) than Broja….?

Edited by Dman

7 hours ago, TWar said:

Yeah absolutely. He was young but so was Obafemi. He's better than Obafemi for me, of course, but being young isn't a guarantee of improving and his rate has been a bit disappointing, a player you'd expect to improve you'd think would get better over the course of the season. Starting hot and falling away hard is moving in the wrong direction.

Not necessarily, in fact often just the opposite. Down many years in football, many managers have noted that young players need to be nurtured, taken care of, for fear of burn out. It’s a well worn methodology.

The same was said on this forum of Livramento. He started the season like a train, then his performances tailed off. Plenty on here said it looked like he needed a rest. As it turned out he got a minor injury and sat out a few games, I don’t think it’s a coincidence he came back from that looking a lot sharper.

Broja has a lot to give but it would be insane to think that he’s anywhere near the finished article. Had we have had Broja, Ings and Adams this season, we could have properly rotated the strike force and managed Broja better. As it is we’re relying on him far too much as there is not enough quality behind him.

Anyway, the game against Chelsea will give him a bit of time out and see us going with something else. What that will be, who knows. Ideally Armstrong would come in but I don’t think Ralph will see it like that and it seems more likely to me we’ll get an Adams Long combo.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Long is a few years older and slower now and AA is still behind him 😂.

One goal in 428 games as well yet still get picked ahead of the guy with the higher ceiling than Broja 🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Maybe because we conceded 4 goals in the opening 30 mins? Not the best situation for a striker.

I don’t disagree. 

As a team we’ve been shite for weeks, the strikers have been feeding off scraps, yet you dig out Broja… so far is far and all that. 

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don’t disagree. 

As a team we’ve been shite for weeks, the strikers have been feeding off scraps, yet you dig out Broja… so far is far and all that. 

Broja gets dug out for being anonymous in even games against teams like Watford, Leeds and Newcastle. Which is fair.

You go after Armstrong for failing to score in games against City and Chelsea where we concede 4+ goals and barely see the ball. Which isn't fair at all.

Adam Armstrong and Che Adams are both Championship standard finishers. Che has more to his game but when it comes to scoring, he's absolutely atrocious and has missed countless sitters since he's been here. Strikers are there to score goals, these two don't score anywhere near enough and we will need to invest heavily in this area of the pitch next season or we will remain toothless. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Adam Armstrong and Che Adams are both Championship standard finishers. Che has more to his game but when it comes to scoring, he's absolutely atrocious and has missed countless sitters since he's been here. Strikers are there to score goals, these two don't score anywhere near enough and we will need to invest heavily in this area of the pitch next season or we will remain toothless. 

We either get a clinical striker like Ings who can put away the few chances we create or we try and improve our attacking mid to create more chances and hope finally one of these two can put at least one away.

Unfortunately now we have strikers who struggle to score and midfielders who struggle to create and we can’t have it both ways.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Dman said:

Pretty damming assessment of Armstrong if Ralph gets a feeling that Long is a better option than him (despite seemingly training all week as if he was going to start). 

Agreed, it's not a good omen for AA if Long is preferred, but RH's comment about a training session suggests to me that he had to make the decision without having the opportunity to assess it in training, rather than it being something that was worked on and then changed on a 'feeling'.