Football and Dementia (Split)

Turkish

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’m not sure how world famous footballers not having their names on their shirts for 45 minutes is “at the front of campaign to reduce the chances of Alzheimers desease”

Obviously rugby and football should be at the front of the campaign as aspects of their sport are know to cause brain diseases .

The removal of names is to highlight the memory problems of this type of illness . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Obviously rugby and football should be at the front of the campaign as aspects of their sport are know to cause brain diseases .

The removal of names is to highlight the memory problems of this type of illness . 

Yeah I know pal. If you have to explain it though i guess it really isn’t that great.

Who was the organiser of the nameless shirts?

If the FA or the premier league were in any way involved they should hold their heads in shame. Concussion protocol in football and general head injury injury reaction is pathetic. We’ve seen year upon year where football goes out of its way to avoid bringing in proper rules that allow head injuries to be immediately assessed without the side being penalised. It’s very simple: allow a rollin subs for head injuries, do a proper assessment that doesn’t take just two minutes, give clubs that temporary sub the whole while that the assessment goes on, and force players to stay off if a neutral doctor advises so or allow them back if the doctor gives the thumbs up. 

premier league sides are shit at managing this, and the league/FA are equally culpable in continuing player risk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Who was the organiser of the nameless shirts?

If the FA or the premier league were in any way involved they should hold their heads in shame. Concussion protocol in football and general head injury injury reaction is pathetic. We’ve seen year upon year where football goes out of its way to avoid bringing in proper rules that allow head injuries to be immediately assessed without the side being penalised. It’s very simple: allow a rollin subs for head injuries, do a proper assessment that doesn’t take just two minutes, give clubs that temporary sub the whole while that the assessment goes on, and force players to stay off if a neutral doctor advises so or allow them back if the doctor gives the thumbs up. 

premier league sides are shit at managing this, and the league/FA are equally culpable in continuing player risk.

Why actually do something about it that would help when you can make a meaningless token gesture to make it look like you’re interested?

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

Why actually do something about it that would help when you can make a meaningless token gesture to make it look like you’re interested?

It does seem that way.

Chris Sutton has been excellent in championing this cause, given his personal situation with his dad. The lack of reaction by the authorities is shameful. 

Itsxall very well bringing it to people’s attention by this thing (I wasn’t even aware of it, mind). The authorities in charge of it need a fucking rocket up their arses as they’re literally killing their players, and some half cocked no-name campaign isn’t going to make a slight bit of difference.

I remember you bringing this to the forum about your dad before, so I know I’m preaching to the converted I this respect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

They wanted people to think it was a shit campaign? Wow, I’m might try and get a job in marketing if that’s the expectation 

It really is mainly you claiming that though, so not much to hang your hat on, is it. Like others have eluded to, keep up the good work 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

It really is mainly you claiming that though, so not much to hang your hat on, is it. Like others have eluded to, keep up the good work 😂

Given loads of people on this thread didn’t even know about it kind of confirmed how pointless it was. You keep pretending it’s just me that thinks it pointless though 😂

Just now, Turkish said:

Given loads of people on this thread didn’t even know about it kind of confirmed how pointless it was. You keep pretending it’s just me that thinks it pointless though 😂

Wooosh. 

So those that weren’t aware of the issue now are.

Yeah, they really failed 🤨

Kracken makes a good point though about needing to do more, my reasoning is the more of this stuff gets brought to attention, the more likely, and quicker the rule changers may do something about it.

Sorry to hear about your dad btw if he suffered with this, i also am all too aware close to home, not pleasant and hopefully something can be sone.

Out of interest - what would you suggest to should happen about concussion, and hope would you go about affecting any change?

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

It does seem that way.

Chris Sutton has been excellent in championing this cause, given his personal situation with his dad. The lack of reaction by the authorities is shameful. 

Itsxall very well bringing it to people’s attention by this thing (I wasn’t even aware of it, mind). The authorities in charge of it need a fucking rocket up their arses as they’re literally killing their players, and some half cocked no-name campaign isn’t going to make a slight bit of difference.

I remember you bringing this to the forum about your dad before, so I know I’m preaching to the converted I this respect.

Yep I’m fully aware how awful it is especially having it first hand for 8 years still that doesn’t stop some of the weirdos on here from making cheap shots at me. The situation with my dad was a strange one, when he was in a home and started to need a carer to attend saints games he was refused a renewal of his season ticket with disabled status, despite being in wheelchair at that point and barely able to remember what he did that morning or who we were let alone any players names as it wasn’t recognised by the club season ticket spreadsheet jockeys as a disability that needed a carer for at the time. In fairness once we kicked off they soon reversed the decision but that was only eight or nine years ago. Still I’m sure some of the fuckwits on here like billythekid will think this campaign is amazing and I don’t know what I’m on about

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Wooosh. 

So those that weren’t aware of the issue now are.

Yeah, they really failed 🤨

Kracken makes a good point though about needing to do more, my reasoning is the more of this stuff gets brought to attention, the more likely, and quicker the rule changers may do something about it.

Sorry to hear about your dad btw if he suffered with this, i also am all too aware close to home, not pleasant and hopefully something can be sone.

Out of interest - what would you suggest to should happen about concussion, and hope would you go about affecting any change?

My dad died from it or with it depending on how you look at it so I know pretty well that some shit campaign which hardly anyone knows about is going to make any difference. Still hasn’t stopped you and a few others making a few cheap shots and sue whistle being her usual abusive self 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

My dad died from it or with it depending on how you look at it so I know pretty well that some shit campaign which hardly anyone knows about is going to make any difference. Still hasn’t stopped you and a few others making a few cheap shots and sue whistle being her usual abusive self 

I haven’t taken cheap shots, stop playing the bloody victim. You regularly call stuff out for virtue signalling, fuck knows why, when there are some very relevant and worthy stuff going on, being said on here now and on other stuff.

You even failed to answer the relevant Qs i posed, and your dad having it doesnt make this a shit campaign - the campaign is to generate/keep up the awareness so something does happen about it.

You must be bored doing this to derail stuff often, happens quite a lot it seams 🤷🏾‍♂️

Anyhow, enjoy your evening fella, really dont think this is worth bothering with so Im happy to park it there 👍🏾

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I haven’t taken cheap shots, stop playing the bloody victim. You regularly call stuff out for virtue signalling, fuck knows why, when there are some very relevant and worthy stuff going on, being said on here now and on other stuff.

You even failed to answer the relevant Qs i posed, and your dad having it doesnt make this a shit campaign - the campaign is to generate/keep up the awareness so something does happen about it.

You must be bored doing this to derail stuff often, happens quite a lot it seams 🤷🏾‍♂️

Anyhow, enjoy your evening fella, really dont think this is worth bothering with so Im happy to park it there 👍🏾

I’m not playing the victim, simply pointing out you and a few others were quick to jump on me without knowing anything about why I think it’s a pointless campaign. Now you’re backtracking. 

I also didn’t derail the thread, gave an opinion on something that is very close to my heart, sorry you don’t like it because I don’t clap along applauding every meaningless gesture made so I can feel better about myself, showing how much I care.

Kraken surmised what should be done about it very well that’d make much more difference than some ridiculous 45 minute campaign barely anyone knows about. Much like taking the knee, which is another meaningless token gesture but any real action they will change anything seems to be beyond them.

Edited by Turkish

Billy, Billy, don't quote him! 🙂

So Dman thinks this is agressive: " some of us have him on ignore for reasons which don't need explaining..". Does Turkish do too or does he just hope to tar by repeating the statement that I'm abusive. "Uppity female" perhaps, or once saying I must wear dungarees, being a lesbian and all that. 😉  And they say we're snowflakes!

Anyway, I didn't know about the shirt situation until it was brought to my attention on this thread, so thank you. It is a serious issue and from the point of view of football I hope that the worst of the cases like Astle occur far less with the lighter modern balls, but it's obvious that more research into the long term issue and better protocols are needed for concussion cases.

2 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

So Dman thinks this is agressive: " some of us have him on ignore for reasons which don't need explaining..". Does Turkish do too or does he just hope to tar by repeating the statement that I'm abusive. "Uppity female" perhaps, or once saying I must wear dungarees, being a lesbian and all that. 😉  And they say we're snowflakes!

Anyway, I didn't know about the shirt situation until it was brought to my attention on this thread, so thank you. It is a serious issue and from the point of view of football I hope that the worst of the cases like Astle occur far less with the lighter modern balls, but it's obvious that more research into the long term issue and better protocols are needed for concussion cases.

Get over yourself sweetheart 

another one that didn’t know about it, great campaign 😂😂

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’m not playing the victim, simply pointing out you and a few others were quick to jump on me without knowing anything about why I think it’s a pointless campaign. Now you’re backtracking. 

I also didn’t derail the thread, gave an opinion on something that is very close to my heart, sorry you don’t like it because I don’t clap along applauding every meaningless gesture made so I can feel better about myself, showing how much I care.

Kraken surmised what should be done about it very well that’d make much more difference than some ridiculous 45 minute campaign barely anyone knows about. Much like taking the knee, which is another meaningless token gesture but any real action they will change anything seems to be beyond them.

So, you still don't answer the Qs posed, and suggest I'm back tracking when that is clearly not the case. 

Good for you...

If anything, the FA acquiescing to this nonsense does more damage to the cause of head injury prevention than it does good.  I genuinely find it sickening the FA get on board with this pathetic charade of pretending they’re actually doing something about a well chronicled disaster in football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

So, you still don't answer the Qs posed, and suggest I'm back tracking when that is clearly not the case. 

Good for you...

Maybe I missed the questions you posed as the only one I can see is what I think should be done, to which I said Kraken summed that very well. Trying reading the post rather than reading what you think I post 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Maybe I missed the questions you posed as the only one I can see is what I think should be done, to which I said Kraken surmised that very well. Trying reading the post rather than reading what you think I post 🤦‍♂️ 

I do know what you posted. Great facepalm though, shame it was out of context.

You didnt give your own views, so you saying Kracken surmised it, still isn’t you answering, i mean there must be other things you think about this, other than what someone else feels about it, surely?

43 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Out of interest - what would you suggest to should happen about concussion, and how would you go about affecting any change?

Not that you have to answer, of course, I was just interested in understanding, given you think this is a shit campaign, the ‘how would you go about affecting change’ was my asking how you would do it differently.

34 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

No, Sue. 

Your passive aggressive use of foul and abusive language “don’t quote the ****” is what I find aggressive. 

Only you will know the intentions behind the *’s, but it doesn’t take a genius to work out it either starts with a T, P or god forbid a C. 

It may be the sort of language you can get away with down the pub after football, in a PO postcode, with the lads lads lads, but it very much unnecessary on this forum. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I do know what you posted. Great facepalm though, shame it was out of context.

You didnt give your own views, so you saying Kracken surmised it, still isn’t you answering, i mean there must be other things you think about this, other than what someone else feels about it, surely?

Not that you have to answer, of course, I was just interested in understanding, given you think this is a shit campaign, the ‘how would you go about affecting change’ was my asking how you would do it differently.

I could go on for hours about this but in a few points. Football has been covered so outside of football there is strong evidence coming out that Alzheimers is linked to high blood sugar levels which is a bi-product of poor diet and obesity. So there is a lot of work to be done around education of peoples diets and exercise levels. Rather than stick a pill in people we should start educating people on their diet, if when you see a doctor the first questions they ask you aren’t to run through your diet they aren’t doing their jobs properly. 

then there is activity and exercise, fresh air, sunlight, strength training, all this needs to be accessible to everyone, not just people who can afford a gym membership. 

Significantly reduced reliance on medication. Again this comes down to education. In this country I’d say 10% have got it nailed, eat well, exercise, stay healthy. About 30% are trying to do the right thing, about 40% will be happy to take tablets for the rest of their lives to deal Conditions that could be fixed by diet and exercise and the rest just don’t care, that’s why half the population are fat messes with all sorts of conditions that could be fixed though a simple diet change of eating meat (sorry vegans) veg, nuts seeds, some fruit a little bit of starch and cutting out as much sugar as possible. 

like I said I could talk about this for hours and I’m sure some people will pick holes in this but dig into the facts and you’ll see a lot of truth in what I’ve said. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dman said:

No, Sue. 

Your passive aggressive use of foul and abusive language “don’t quote the ****” is what I find aggressive. 

Only you will know the intentions behind the *’s, but it doesn’t take a genius to work out it either starts with a T, P or god forbid a C. 

It may be the sort of language you can get away with down the pub after football, in a PO postcode, with the lads lads lads, but it very much unnecessary on for forum. 

Been going on for years mate. Abusive and self righteous I love the arrogant “don’t quote him” she repeatedly spouts. Sue shouldn’t have to put up with reading something she doesn’t want to on a football forum anyone can post on! How dare anyone else engage in discussion with them! Without question one of the self righteous and arrogant people on here 

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I could go on for hours about this but in a few points. Football has been covered so outside of football there is strong evidence coming out that Alzheimers is linked to high blood sugar levels which is a bi-product of poor diet and obesity. So there is a lot of work to be done around education of peoples diets and exercise levels. Rather than stick a pill in people we should start educating people on their diet, if when you see a doctor the first questions they ask you aren’t to run through your diet they aren’t doing their jobs properly. 

then there is activity and exercise, fresh air, sunlight, strength training, all this needs to be accessible to everyone, not just people who can afford a gym membership. 

Significantly reduced reliance on medication. Again this comes down to education. In this country I’d say 10% have got it nailed, eat well, exercise, stay healthy. About 30% are trying to do the right thing, about 40% will be happy to take tablets for the rest of their lives to deal Conditions that could be fixed by diet and exercise and the rest just don’t care, that’s why half the population are fat messes with all sorts of conditions that could be fixed though a simple diet change of eating meat (sorry vegans) veg, nuts seeds, some fruit a little bit of starch and cutting out as much sugar as possible. 

like I said I could talk about this for hours and I’m sure some people will pick holes in this but dig into the facts and you’ll see a lot of truth in what I’ve said. 

Thanks for the reply. 

I have been looking into sugar, in so much as a lot of my family are diabetics, but not me, yet.

I was watching some guy about the sugar thing, and was fascinating a i out trying to reduce it. It really is omen of the worse poisons, or drugs if you like, and is in virtually everything.

I need to find the YouTube video again, as didnt get to finish it, think i will try to dig it out.

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Thanks for the reply. 

I have been looking into sugar, in so much as a lot of my family are diabetics, but not me, yet.

I was watching some guy about the sugar thing, and was fascinating a i out trying to reduce it. It really is omen of the worse poisons, or drugs if you like, and is in virtually everything.

I need to find the YouTube video again, as didnt get to finish it, think i will try to dig it out.

Found it easier than i thought. Like i say i need to watch it again, but was pretty interesting.

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Thanks for the reply. 

It’s a complex subject as like you say sugar is in everything. People think unhealthy foods are biscuits, cakes and chocolate bars, keep away from them and you’ll be fine but it’s not as simple as that. There is so much poor advice out there because a lot of people say stuff because they want you to buy their book or sign up to their program. Then there are fads, Keto, paleo, adkins the list goes on, all fads and nonsense, paleo ice cream is still ice cream. 
The basic rules really are if it’s got a list of ingredients on the wrapper don’t eat it, if it’s got adverts of TV don’t eat it,  if it’s made by people in factories, don’t eat it and follow the basic principles of meat, veg, nuts seeds, some fruit, some starch and no sugar. It no coincidence that people in the places with the highest life expectancy do this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

It’s a complex subject as like you say sugar is in everything. People think unhealthy foods are biscuits, cakes and chocolate bars, keep away from them and you’ll be fine but it’s not as simple as that. There is so much poor advice out there because a lot of people say stuff because they want you to buy their book or sign up to their program. Then there are fads, Keto, paleo, adkins the list goes on, all fads and nonsense, paleo ice cream is still ice cream. 
The basic rules really are if it’s got a list of ingredients on the wrapper don’t eat it, if it’s got adverts of TV don’t eat it,  if it’s made by people in factories, don’t eat it and follow the basic principles of meat, veg, nuts seeds, some fruit, some starch and no sugar. It no coincidence that people in the places with the highest life expectancy do this. 

Yep, thanks for the good advice.

I mean we even get told not to eat meat, which to me is bollocks.

12 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Yep, thanks for the good advice.

I mean we even get told not to eat meat, which to me is bollocks.

People have eaten meat as long as humans have existed, yet it’s only in the last 30 years we’ve seen chronic disease explode. Now there is something in how is reared, grass fed meat is far better for you, but people telling us not to eat meat have an agenda. 

Edited by Turkish