Is Gareth Bale the best ever British player?

benjii

15 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

You've deliberately ignored the, "playing at his best for 12 years," part. Rooney scored 208 goals in 16 top flight seasons, bang on 13 per season on average. Like I said, a solid 15-20 goal a season striker overall but not as prolific as the likes of Andy Cole.

Goal per game rates in the premier league 

Shearer 0.59 

Rooney 0.42 

Cole 0.45

Fowler 0.43 

Owen 0.46 

Ferdinand 0.42

Sheringham 0.35

On 26/03/2022 at 16:19, cloggy saint said:

Can't believe Alan Ball is being mentioned as a possible contender. Very good player but if it wasn't for the Saints connection he wouldn't get a look in.

His performance in the WC final was one of the greatest ever by an Englishman, absolutely fantastic. From then till about 71/72 there weren’t many better. Fully deserved a “look in” within the next tier down from Moore, Bestie, Greaves & Charlton. Every bit as good as KK or Bale were. Ask any Everton supporter and they’ll tell you, fantastic player long before he arrived at Saints. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

His performance in the WC final was one of the greatest ever by an Englishman, absolutely fantastic. From then till about 71/72 there weren’t many better. Fully deserved a “look in” within the next tier down from Moore, Bestie, Greaves & Charlton. Every bit as good as KK or Bale were. Ask any Everton supporter and they’ll tell you, fantastic player long before he arrived at Saints. 

Spot on, a bit like Scholes in his ability to read the game, the epitome of a pocket battleship or midfield general.  31 and slowing down when he joined Saints so he let the ball do the extra work and developed Stevie Williams to provide the extra steel.  Glad I got to see him in the flesh at pitch level in the confines of the Dell :)  

On 26/03/2022 at 14:14, Matthew Le God said:

20220326_141448.jpg

Seen this doing the rounds and it is a bit frustrating. 

Trophies aren't a good way of judging individual talent, both players were part of successful teams and won trophies, Bale's team just won more. By that same metric David Peach and Bobby Stokes were better players than MLT...

Beckham had 51 assists in 159 games for RM, an assist every 3.1 games. Bale has 67 in 256, so an assist every 3.8 games.

Ronaldo had 103 goals in 177 games for RM, a goal every 1.7 games. Bale has 106 in 256, so a goal every 2.4 games.

Bale has been great at times, don't get me wrong, but this is the wrong way to make this point. 

1 hour ago, scally said:

Bloody enjoyed that, thanks for posting. Their are but a few players in history that stood/stand head and shoulders above their peers, and Best is up there with anyone you could name.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Love that he always tried to stay on his feet, he could have gone down 100 times in those clips.

I suspect that's one of the reasons he looks so special in clips now. It's not that there aren't players now who could wade through challenges without going down, but with the game the way it's been over the past twenty years, what's the point? Take the positional advantage of a free kick which you're more likely to score from anyway, protect yourself from injury, move on.

He's got great control, pace and strength, but I'm not convinced a lot of it isn't rose tinted glasses. On that evidence, his finishing was substantially worse than any number of modern greats you could name.

19 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I saw Alan Ball play his first ever game at the Dell, just after he joined Everton in 1966, and he was absolutely brilliant. He was best to watch in his early 20s, at Blackpool and Everton, when he was a freescoring attacking midfielder who ripped opposition defences apart. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

I suspect that's one of the reasons he looks so special in clips now. It's not that there aren't players now who could wade through challenges without going down, but with the game the way it's been over the past twenty years, what's the point? Take the positional advantage of a free kick which you're more likely to score from anyway, protect yourself from injury, move on.

He's got great control, pace and strength, but I'm not convinced a lot of it isn't rose tinted glasses. On that evidence, his finishing was substantially worse than any number of modern greats you could name.

I actually think he was better than I actually remember especially when you consider the mud heaps they used to play on in those days.

No one mentioned top top player Broja yet? I've heard he's the best young player some have witnessed  since Gascoigne.

Never saw Best play, but from what I've seen and heard from people that were there at the time he's probably the number one.  From the players I've seen probably one from Dalglish, Gascoigne, and Giggs., Really wish I could have seen Le Tissier playing with good players around him though as he had the skills to match them all.

On 28/03/2022 at 15:15, Lord Duckhunter said:

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of Ballie. What a special special player he was. The influence he had on the Saints team, even in the twilight of his playing days was immense. All one touch, clever, quick, always thinking 2 passes ahead. Made football look very simple = definition of a man at the top of his trade. What I wouldn't give to see Ballie play again.

• Like 1

No, Gareth Bale is nowhere near the best UK player. John Charles was  capable as a titanic central defender who could turn into a free scoring striker but he never looked for glamour. Also, Duncan Edwards was shaping to be the greatest player of all time anywhere when he was killed.

I think Bale is definitely in the conversation for one the best players the UK has ever produced. Unfortunate that his career went off the rails towards the end but hard to blame him for taking the cash if the manager didnt favour him.

Couple of highlights stand out in recent memory:

1:

2:

3:

Edited by Scully

It's a no from me.  Although I dont remember 66 I am old enough to remember watching some of the 66 team in the late sixties/early seventies.  Generally accepted that we had three world class players in that team - Banks, Charlton and Moore.  If I was going to pick one of those three as best ever British player then it would be Bobby Charlton.  The fact that the Germans put Beckenbauer man-to-man on him the 1970 WC quarter final says it all.

I also remember being at SMS when Gareth Bale and McGoldrick made their debuts on the last day of the 2005/06 season.  McGoldrick looked lost - although turned into a decent Championship player later.  Gareth Bale at 16 looked like he had been playing professional football for years.

Based on that outrageous overhead kick he scored against Liverpool in the Champions League final of 2018, I'd say he almost certainly was.

A lot of tears were shed that night by the annoyingly high contingent of Devon-based Liverpool fans.  I was on high lolz for the same reason!