FA Cup Qtr Final - Man City (h)

whelk

10 minutes ago, JRM said:

100% fix. We live in the most corrupt times when it comes to football, it's important to the fa to maximise viewing figures for semi final and final to help them bump the price up for next tv deal. Said beforehand they'll keep Liverpool,  Man City and Chelsea apart. So predictable. 

Although we would all have wanted to see two of the 'big three' play each other the in quarter finals, the odds actually favour them being kept apart.  The likelihood that two of them play each other is 3/7.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Think City have a squad big enough to cope. Just hope Pep doesn't resort to grizzling to the FA that it isn't fair we have an extra day's preparation and ours gets moved or something daft. 

Wigan beat Man City as a League 1 side a few years ago, and we played them next round (think it was Mark Hughes first game in charge).

Not only that, they beat City in the Championship on their way to the semis, the year after they won it. So in their last three FA Cup meetings, they have won all three and done it from different divisions.

That is some fucking record and I will clutch that straw into dust, oh and the fact that we are once again in very good form.

11 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

That's the way it works if you want to lift a trophy.

Not always. Portsmouth's final was at the QF stage when they beat Utd away. Clear run after that. But you are right the cookie has to crumble that way.

21 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Man City haven't beaten us in the 2 Prem fixtures this season so I am feeling quietly confident. I would be more concerned if we had been drawn away to Middlesborough. If we want to win a trophy we have to play the top teams. Although last night's selection wasn't so bad in the end I hope Ralph picks our very best for the City game. We may have been able to take time to get our act together against the likes of West Ham last night but I don't think we should push our luck against City. 

We'll have a whole week to build up to the City game , then a two week break for internationals so no excuse to rest any players 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

It does seem suspicious, but how on earth do you pull off a hooky draw?

It's been suggested in the past that the 'seeded' teams have their balls warmed up so the person doing the draw can feel which ones they are.

No idea if there is any truth to it (probably not), but it's theoretically possible.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I fear Ralph is going to treat this the same as West Ham. Weak team to start and then bring on the big guns. He got lucky once and will fancy he can do the same to Citeh. Won't work. Play our full side and, with luck going our way, we could beat them. We've given them two good games so we know we can cause them problems. Over to you Ralph.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

People have been moaning about the cup draw being fixed for years. There’s no way you can have that many people involved, and not one of them spills the beans about it. 

All bought and paid for, or kompromat.

the "draw" takes place hours earlier, and is repeated over and over until the desired outcome is achieved. This is the version that is then presented as "live". It must be true, David Ike told me.

If.. if ... IF we get to the Finals our likely run would be:

West Ham, City, Chelsea (w/o Broja) and Liverpool. (you know, only 4 of the top 5 clubs in England currently).

Liverpool's?

Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Palace, and Saints.

6 hours ago, SaintTex said:

West Ham, City, Chelsea (w/o Broja) and Liverpool. (you know, only 4 of the top 5 clubs in England currently).

Liverpool's?

Why are you making out that  Liverpool will definitely not play Chelsea on their way to the cup? They're as likely as we are to play them. Why do they get to play Palace but we don't?

To win the cup Liverpool may have to beat City and Chelsea in the semi and final.

The main reason they won't play City is if we beat them, which you are now making out as evidence of an "easy run" for Liverpool.

Do you want us to lose just so Liverpool get some harder games?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

It seems a lot of people are making the mistake of thinking the 'big' teams will be happy to play against us at fortress St. Mary's.

I'm sure City would rather rather play us than Chelsea or Liverpool. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SaintTex said:

Liverpool's?

Middlesboro would have to beat Man United, Spurs, Liverpool and likely at least one of Chelsea or Man City to win it, the current best 4 teams in the country which includes the world and european champions. Damn that agenda against us the whole footballing world has.

9 hours ago, SaintTex said:

How would that be our likely run? We will play Man City and West Ham sure, but we can't play Liverpool and Chelsea before the final? And we have just as much chance of getting Everton as we do Liverpool, or indeed Chelsea.

Also, lets not kid ourselves. We've had quite easy games prior to west ham - and at some point you do have to play the best teams - thats how cups work.

Suspect the team will fancy themselves vs Man City at home. They'll know they were robbed at the Ethiad, they know they beat them in project restart, and they know we earned a good draw last time out. Plus the fa cup semi defeat and home crowd will give them a lot of motivation. Has the makings of a proper cup tie.

A better way of saying it, is that we'll likely have to best 2 of the best teams in world football to lift the cup.

Edited by Saint86

44 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Surprised we’re still in it after that last team selection.

I just hope we don’t do that again.

An International break follows straight after the Cup Qtr Final, so really there would be no need for Ralph to go second string line up.

14 hours ago, kwsaint said:

Although we would all have wanted to see two of the 'big three' play each other the in quarter finals, the odds actually favour them being kept apart.  The likelihood that two of them play each other is 3/7.

I think Everton need to be brought into any equation too, as the 4th biggest team in the draw. Then please add into the equation, the chances of 8 of the 9 premier clubs in the last draw, all being drawn against sub premier opposition. Genuinely interested in the odds of that happening. We drew West Ham but only because there had to be at least one all premier draw. Personally I find this really hard to believe from a genuine, random draw. The way the draw is conducted too, with the presenter and GS with no indication as to it being live. Someone mentioned earlier that GS wouldn't be involved if it was dodgy but I don't buy that either. He is employed by the same organisation and quite frankly, owes them absolutely everything. Where else is he going to get a gig like that? He is nothing if not a 'yes' man for the FA. 

1 hour ago, CheshireSaint said:

I think Everton need to be brought into any equation too, as the 4th biggest team in the draw. Then please add into the equation, the chances of 8 of the 9 premier clubs in the last draw, all being drawn against sub premier opposition. Genuinely interested in the odds of that happening. We drew West Ham but only because there had to be at least one all premier draw. Personally I find this really hard to believe from a genuine, random draw. The way the draw is conducted too, with the presenter and GS with no indication as to it being live. Someone mentioned earlier that GS wouldn't be involved if it was dodgy but I don't buy that either. He is employed by the same organisation and quite frankly, owes them absolutely everything. Where else is he going to get a gig like that? He is nothing if not a 'yes' man for the FA. 

The odds of Everton, Liverpool, Man C and Chelsea being kept apart in the draw are 8/35 - or 23%.  So just under a 1 in 4 chance.  Still not that unlikely

4 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

The odds of Everton, Liverpool, Man C and Chelsea being kept apart in the draw are 8/35 - or 23%.  So just under a 1 in 4 chance.  Still not that unlikely

Thanks KW. So possible but still not probable. And the same for the previous round please if you'd be so kind. Then perhaps in combination. Thanks in advance.

Edited by CheshireSaint

16 hours ago, coalman said:

Just saw the draw. Honestly, my first reaction was that Pep would've seen that and said "oh fuck".

Hmm. That wasn't my first reaction. I really don't think Pep fears anyone. Only Liverpool and Chelsea (and sometimes Spurs) have got the better of them in recent times. I'd of thought if they were draw against either of them he'd still see it as a great opportunity to show his side is the best.

We've done well against them, but they could easily have won both games. 

2 hours ago, Saint_Tony said:

best we can hope for is to take it to penalties, but wouldn't fancy us in that situation. Feeling a little deflated, but at least it means we won't have to play them in the final😉

best we can hope for is wining it in normal time.

City do lose games now and then. Not often I grant you, but it is possible. Palace have beaten them a couple of times, generally with a backs against the wall kind of display, but with exceptional stuff on the break and high quality strikes. Realistically the odds are against, no doubt about it, but no point thinking like that. We can and will win. Enjoy the ride. 

9 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Why are you making out that  Liverpool will definitely not play Chelsea on their way to the cup? They're as likely as we are to play them. Why do they get to play Palace but we don't?

I did say "likely" :) ....but, I see how the ping pong balls always seem to bounce.

Someone last week: "what makes you say Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City won't avoid each other in the quarterfinals?"

the rest of us: "haha!"

Edited by SaintTex

19 hours ago, kyle04 said:

All bought and paid for, or kompromat.

the "draw" takes place hours earlier, and is repeated over and over until the desired outcome is achieved. This is the version that is then presented as "live". It must be true, David Ike told me.

If you look at Southgate’s watch it shows 615am so clearly not live. Also he tweeted, and I quote “fucking hell, hard day ahead endlessly picking out balls #Fix”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

An International break follows straight after the Cup Qtr Final, so really there would be no need for Ralph to go second string line up.

Yes, but Ralph's reasoning for making 9 changes was to give others, some who played in the earlier rounds, game time that he felt they deserved. An international break won't affect that mindset.

51 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Yes, but Ralph's reasoning for making 9 changes was to give others, some who played in the earlier rounds, game time that he felt they deserved. An international break won't affect that mindset.

And the fact that following the Norwich game the first team in training looked knackered (paraphrasing a little there).

7 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Ruben Dias will miss this one through injury, so it’s just the £107m of Stones & Laporte to deal with.

To be fair that’s quite a loss for them, much better player than those two. Now if De Bruyne, Silva, Jesus, Foden, Grealish and a couple of others can get a knock or two as well that would be great. Just for that weekend mind, need them to make sure Liverpool don’t win anything

Edited by Turkish

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

To be fair that’s quite a loss for them, much better player than those two. Now if De Bruyne, Silva, Jesus, Foden, Grealish and a couple of others can get a knock or two as well that would be great. Just for that weekend mind, need them to make sure Liverpool don’t win anything

Surely we want Grealish to play, just so Oriol can renew his acquaintance. Can't wait to see the first coming together they have. My money's on Oriol.

Hopefully Ralph approaches the tie in a positive frame of mind. He's prone to go into some games with an inferiority complex, which is no good to anyone. This will be far from Manchester City's priority. They will put the Premiership and the Champions League above the FA Cup. But saying that they'll have players on their bench who have cost them a King's ransom. But there's a togetherness at Southampton Football Club that they can't compete with. 

Bring it on!

1 hour ago, St David 46 said:

Hopefully Ralph approaches the tie in a positive frame of mind. He's prone to go into some games with an inferiority complex, which is no good to anyone. This will be far from Manchester City's priority. They will put the Premiership and the Champions League above the FA Cup. But saying that they'll have players on their bench who have cost them a King's ransom. But there's a togetherness at Southampton Football Club that they can't compete with. 

Bring it on!

What games would that be then?

1 hour ago, St David 46 said:

Bring it on!

When has he done that?