Aston Villa 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

disappointing at both ends. We ain't been good enough in the final third, not enough pressure on the ball in midfield and collectively not defended well at all. When a side puts under pressure some of these `great' players haven't been good enough (first touch etc.). Game is not over. Need some sort of tactical change though.

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Had a slight injury midweek, I guess Ralph thought it wasn’t worth risking him when we’ve got Perraud and Tino.

I see. Tino just ain't as good. Not the reason we are losing, but these little things all add up. Everyone needs to up their game. Only Armstrong impressed me first half. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

If we get a quick goal after half time the complexion of the game will change markedly. 

Big if.  We've offered pretty much zero up front up to now.  We need a big shift in the game to get anything from it. 

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Guess we were due this at some point.

The defence is being carved open, this partnership clearly isn't our best.

However the ball is being lost elsewhere far too frequently.

Bad day at the office, changes required.

Romeu has been playing so deep trying to help out our CBs. Seems like half the game he has been playing behind Stephens and Bednarek. 

Edited by SaintTex

Dare I say it but JWP looks a little laboured, hardly a surprise considering how hard he works every game and was bound to have an off day, but we only need a couple of moments this team is good enough to claw back into it if they can be reinvigorated for second half.

fuck it time to be optimistic and go for our old classic score line from the halcyon days of saints 4-2 

Edited by Mallagroth

Our unbeaten run had to come to an end sometime and it will be today unless there is a massive turnaround in the second half. The disappointment is the fact we are being well beaten which none of us expected. Poor at the back and our passing and decision making going forward is not on the money. We need to start applying pressure and working their keeper because we've not had one shot on target which is not like us. Just a bad day at the office maybe. I'd bring on KWP if he's fit enough and maybe Adam Armstrong for some extra pace because we didn't pose them nearly enough problems in that weak first half. 45 to put it right but let's not get battered by these.

I'm not watching it but our possession stats are good so I'm guessing they're playing attack football at home? Shows respect for us if so. 

Still we aren't the Saints of old that roll over like we used to so fingers crossed we fight for this.

Newcastle winning again. That will be tough on Thursday. Come on Burnley, keep the relegation battle exciting!

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

Why is KWP not playing? Is he injured? 

Villa have just been better. Believing our own hype?

Or maybe we'll have a bad-day-at-the-office here and there during the course of a season, like most other teams, no matter how good our form has been leading up to such games?

Edited by trousers

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Or maybe we'll have a bad-day-at-the-office here and there during the course of a season, like most other teams, no matter how good our form has been leading up to such games?

yeah. Fair point. We've been playing well, but unlike a City or whoever, we can't win games like this if we are not at our very best. 

Just need a chance and we can turn the game on its head

• Lighthouse changed the title to Aston Villa 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic