Aston Villa 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If Lawro's predictions always came true we'd be bottom of the league.

Happy for him to call it wrong - again.

You know they publish a table of his predictions?

To add don’t think he has predicted a Liverpool defeat for 5 seasons

7212F1C8-3C18-45A1-9AC5-2B5F9B998C41.jpeg

Edited by whelk

1 hour ago, Saint Mikey said:

I was disappointed to see a lack of yellow and blue jester hats last night. A sea of these would send a strong message to Putin, something he surely couldn’t ignore. 😐

The feline supporters were much louder. I liked the inflatable cats.

People raving about Countinho, but he is (so far) following the pattern I expected and that James Rodriguez followed, start well and then drop off.

He scored against Utd, then 2 assists and goal against Leeds, but since then he's done sweet FA in 3 games, being pretty anonymous in two of them, despite playing Newcastle, Watford and Brighton (so hardly quality opposition). 

As for their team as whole their is a whiff of Man Utd or Everton about them, a collection of individuals that on paper are good, but don't form a very good team.  I also think defensively they are pretty weak, Mings is massively over rated IMO, Konsa seems average, Cash and Digne are good going forward but no so good defensively and they are often bailed out by the quality keeper. They then have players like Ings, Buendia, Bailey that are good players but don't seem to have gelled or found a place in that team. Plus playing Coutinho if he's not on it, he's a passenger, he doesn't offer much work rate or pace or pressing etc. 

Of course they could beat us, they have some good players who could hit it off on the day, plus they are at home as well, but their form has been mediocre despite a very easy run of fixtures.

They have recently played Brighton, Watford, Newcastle, Leeds, Everton, and Brentford (with Man Utd in there as well), all those teams aside Newcastle are in awful form, yet they have only picked up 7 points from those games and only managed 7 goals. 

Those 5 teams are the bottom 5 of the PL form table. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

What do the numbers tell you? Eg cash this season v’s TL or Dingy vs KWP. That would be interesting 

I finally got back from London and had a spare few minutes so here is a stat comparison of our three fullbacks and Cash/Digne. Also I did stuff like the colouring and the counting of final points by hand (although the data itself was scraped from FFS with underlying data from opta stats) therefore if I made a mistake apologies!

image.png.c0856cfc1a7a37bd097d1dc42def3049.png

I have assigned arbitrary scores so that winning a catagory gets you 5 pts, 2nd gets you 4, third gets you 3 etc.

Bare in mind the stats I chose were ones I found interesting, but they are definitely weighted towards attacking stats which Tino and KWP excel at. Defensively Digne has been strong this season as has Cash and compete reasonably evenly.

Either way, in my opinion the best fullback pairing of both teams is KWP - Livramento. And Digne - Livramento if you want more defensive output. Perrauds stats are very poor, this surprised me somewhat as I thought he'd done quite well.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, TWar said:

I finally got back from London and had a spare few minutes so here is a stat comparison of our three fullbacks and Cash/Digne. Also I did stuff like the colouring and the counting of final points by hand (although the data itself was scraped from FFS with underlying data from opta stats) therefore if I made a mistake apologies!

I have assigned arbitrary scores so that winning a catagory gets you 5 pts, 2nd gets you 4, third gets you 3 etc.

Bare in mind the stats I chose were ones I found interesting, but they are definitely weighted towards attacking stats which Tino and KWP excel at. Defensively Digne has been strong this season as has Cash and compete reasonably evenly.

Either way, in my opinion the best fullback pairing of both teams is KWP - Livramento. And Digne - Livramento if you want more defensive output. Perrauds stats are very poor, this surprised me somewhat as I thought he'd done quite well.

Excellent- thanks. Cash really doesn’t get a look in - which is what I thought tbh.  If you are going to focus your attack - probably best to do it on the side cash is defending.

This will be a test. Poor though Villa can be and good at other times, Gerrard is probably a better manager than Lampard and he has a better team at Villa than Lampard does at Everton at his disposal, so I'm expecting a tough away game for us. Villa's defence is perhaps what lets them down, so taking our chances again will be key. If injury rumours are to be believed, If we are missing KWP, we play Perraud, if we are missing Salisu then it's Stephens and Bednarek. Obviously there are other options for Moi but his recent form has been good so someone will have to step up. I thought Smallbone looked OK the other night - I'd like to see him given more opportunities as the season closes.

We still haven't won 3 games in a row in the league this season (we rarely have since Koeman left) despite our excellent recent form so beating Villa would get that monkey off our backs. We have the talent too, as long as we take our chances and stop any brain farts. 

Villa, Newcastle, Watford, Leeds. If our recent form continues, that could well be another 4 from 4! 

Head says this'll be 1-1 - heart reckons we can beat Villa 3-1. I'll go with my head for this one curses. (The evil me would take a defeat here in exchange for a win on Thursday though if I was going to deal with the devil!!!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Probably misunderstood but Livramento scored against Burnley didn't he?  Shouldn't that mean he's roughly on the same level as KWP (both scoring once in the premier league), and Cash should top that section having scored twice although having played slightly more?

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Just shows you stats can only tell you so much. I guess Perraud took a bit of time to settle but he has been excellent since the turn of the year. 

I do rate Cash and Digne as very good players but right now I'd rather have any of our three full backs over almost any in the league. 

Tough game to call, we are a very good side atm and although Villa have been stuttering they do have some quality players that can hurt us. We are due a defeat and it wouldn't surprise me if we lost here.

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Probably misunderstood but Livramento scored against Burnley didn't he?  Shouldn't that mean he's roughly on the same level as KWP (both scoring once in the premier league), and Cash should top that section having scored twice although having played slightly more?

Good question, I'll have a look into the underlying data, it does seem like there is something fishy in the goals scored section. 

EDIT: It's because of rounding. Livramento scored 1 goal in 1815 minutes, that is an average of 0.049 goals per 90. This has, somewhat unfortunately for him, been rounded down to 0.0 rather than up to 0.1. KWP has also scored one goal but in 1617 minutes or 0.055 goals per 90 which has been rounded up. It is a little unfair, I'll grant you, that each of them falls either side of 0.05 so one is rounded down and one is rounded up. Cash has scored 2 goals in 2220 minutes or 0.08. This has been rounded up to 0.1. I could manually calculate goals, assists, xG and xA per 90 so they aren't rounded to the nearest significant figure but to be honest since it is just 1 or 2 goals per player it's not too impactful.

Edited by TWar

Potentially seven players out: Lyanco, McCarthy, Tella for definite; Salisu, Elyounoussi, Walker-Peters, Long in doubt.

Only three regular starters, but that would still be a big test of our squad depth. I'd take a draw with a patched up side.

13 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Potentially seven players out: Lyanco, McCarthy, Tella for definite; Salisu, Elyounoussi, Walker-Peters, Long in doubt.

Only three regular starters, but that would still be a big test of our squad depth. I'd take a draw with a patched up side.

Forster, Tino, Stephens, Bednarek, Perraud, JWP, Romeu, S. Armstrong, Redmond, Adams, Broja - should be a handful.

We have Walcott, Djenepo, Diallo, Smallbone, Adam Armstrong as any of the 3 game changing subs to use if needed that Ralph "trusts", and I've excluded Valery there too and assumed all those in doubt aren't fit for the bench.

Might be interesting to try something a bit different with Salisu and Moi out. Given the lack of Salisu weakens us at the back then maybe a back three. Potentially:

Forster

Valery Bednarek Stephens

Romeu

Livramento JWP Stu Perraud

Adams Broja

Try a 3142/352 style formation. Failing that just play the usual with Redmond and Stephens in for Salisu and Moi

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Make nine changes. Rest key players. Pick up more in injuries than ever.

Frustrating. 

Salisu and Moi were injured before the West Ham game; Long and KWP injured during the game. No-one's availability has been affected by being rested for the cup match, so I'm not sure what your point is?

42 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Free yellow and blue scarves for the 3,000 travelling fans tomorrow, a club gesture to show support for Ukraine

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19969725.southampton-provide-fans-free-yellow-blue-scarves-ukraine-show-support/

Great gesture - hopefully no one steals one because I remember back in 2014 in the Swansea away game they gave free scarves and 2 or 3 people literally had to ruin it for everyone else.

1 hour ago, LordHester said:

Salisu and Moi were injured before the West Ham game; Long and KWP injured during the game. No-one's availability has been affected by being rested for the cup match, so I'm not sure what your point is?

To moan about the selection in a game we won? You can’t make it up on here. 

10 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Great gesture - hopefully no one steals one because I remember back in 2014 in the Swansea away game they gave free scarves and 2 or 3 people literally had to ruin it for everyone else.

That’s always going to happen, it’s a shame, but I’m with my boy so we will be going in early, so hopefully still on the seat. 

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

Forster, Tino, Stephens, Bednarek, Perraud, JWP, Romeu, S. Armstrong, Redmond, Adams, Broja - should be a handful.

We have Walcott, Djenepo, Diallo, Smallbone, Adam Armstrong as any of the 3 game changing subs to use if needed that Ralph "trusts", and I've excluded Valery there too and assumed all those in doubt aren't fit for the bench.

Well, I suppose effectively going down to 10 men if he comes on is game changing.

• Haha 1

Anyone else on the 10:17 from Southampton Central? The lads I’m going with are getting the train from London so I’ll be on my tod for the journey up. Would be good to meet for train beers on the way up if anyone fancies it 

Should be a comfortable victory for Saints with morale & belief at an all time high. With Livramento, Perraud, Romeu and JWP on fire, Armstrong and Elyounoussi improving with every match and our strikers in form it is hard to see how we can be beaten. 3-1 to Saints on a sunny day in the midlands.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

5 hours ago, nta786 said:

Why have you ignored Elyounoussi, he is one of the most creative and intelligent players we have, finding spaces and opportunities that Redmond would never see in his lifetime.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Why have you ignored Elyounoussi, he is one of the most creative and intelligent players we have, finding spaces and opportunities that Redmond would never see in his lifetime.

Redmond is one of the most creative players in non top 6 clubs. For example...

43 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Because he is a doubt - and I stated that that I assume he isn’t fit for the bench.

I’m sure KWP, Ely and Salisu are fine but Ralph is being cryptic. I think Broja wasn’t meant to be fit for Spurs but still played. 

On current form Elyounoussi starts over Redmond for me don’t you worry. 

13 hours ago, LordHester said:

He literally said it in his post. "Frustrating". I'm pretty sure he was just pointing out that even though we made so many changes we unfortunately have been struck with more injuries than previously. 

12 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

To moan about the selection in a game we won? You can’t make it up on here. 

Are people not allowed to say that things are frustrating anymore? Why so many rules on a football forum? Let people talk, that's what they're here for.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

He literally said it in his post. "Frustrating". I'm pretty sure he was just pointing out that even though we made so many changes we unfortunately have been struck with more injuries than previously. 

Are people not allowed to say that things are frustrating anymore? Why so many rules on a football forum? Let people talk, that's what they're here for.

Yeah I think "it's annoying we were forced to rotate to avoid injury and then injury happened anyway" is a perfectly fine sentiment. Not blaming anyone, just rotten luck.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Aston Villa 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic