The Dan Sheldon Q&A thread

SuperSAINT

Hi Dan,

I was thinking about questions to ask Ralph for tomorrow’s prematch interview.

I would like to know how preparation for a match against a bottom 6 club differs to a top 6 club.

The dynamics of the game against Norwich will be different. Saints will be favourites. We will have more possession. Norwich will sit back and try to hit us on the counter attack.

I’d also like to here a little bit more about Richard Kitzbichler. How much praise should he be given for Saints upturn and improvement in tactics and game management. Obviously it takes time to become acclimatised to the premier league. Are we now reaping the rewards because Richard understands the premier league better?

Edited by Andy Durman

1 hour ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

Hey!

Sorry for not getting back to you until now. Talks took place last year but nothing could be agreed.

My understanding is that Southampton are keeping their options open. They haven’t committed to giving him an extension, yet they aren’t ruling it out.

I can see sense in keeping Forster at the club and in letting him go. It presents a good opportunity to move on but will they get a better replacement? That’s the key.

Cheers Dan

Have we been had? I thought Dan Sheldon's stated intention was to come on here and answer questions from fans. It seems that this was a ploy to get some questions in and post the answers on The Athletic which you need a subscription to.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Have we been had? I thought Dan Sheldon's stated intention was to come on here and answer questions from fans. It seems that this was a ploy to get some questions in and post the answers on The Athletic which you need a subscription to.

Perhaps we should all put some money together to buy a subscription and share the login details?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Just FYI all of the questions were copy and pasted from a chat on The Athletic which he set up asking for question for the mailbag. On the chat you can literally match the questions to the mailbag story and see who posted them so nothing to do with Saints Web. 

Edited by daldridge7

57 minutes ago, daldridge7 said:

Just FYI all of the questions were copy and pasted from a chat on The Athletic which he set up asking for question for the mailbag. On the chat you can literally match the questions to the mailbag story and see who posted them so nothing to do with Saints Web. 

Fair enough but he doesn't seem to be very active on here since his original message inviting fans to put questions to him.

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Anyone with the subscription care to share a cut down version of the answers?

Nothing particularly new or interesting, main things i thought were below

The agency Salisu is with has changed ownership so cannot enter negotiating, that's now done. Not know if Salisu wants to extend at the moment.

Target this season to finish top half. European football an aim if achieved and a good summer transfer window

Always looking at potential replacements for Ralph

Unlikely Broja will go on loan again so working out the next step with Chelsea. Could mean staying at chelsea or moving.

45 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Fair enough but he doesn't seem to be very active on here since his original message inviting fans to put questions to him.

Tbf to him he’s paid to write articles for a subscription service.  His employers probably wouldn’t be too enamoured if he gave all his info away for free on here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Nothing particularly new or interesting, main things i thought were below

The agency Salisu is with has changed ownership so cannot enter negotiating, that's now done. Not know if Salisu wants to extend at the moment.

Target this season to finish top half. European football an aim if achieved and a good summer transfer window

Always looking at potential replacements for Ralph

Unlikely Broja will go on loan again so working out the next step with Chelsea. Could mean staying at chelsea or moving.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Saints foreva said:

Bit of a worry if Salisu enters the summer market with two years left on his current deal considering the performances he's putting it at the moment. 

When we sell him it has to be for mega money as he is so good.

Assuming he won't sign an extension is it better to get £50m this summer or £20m in summer 2023?

Business wise it would be a no-brainer to sell him this summer.

Obviously best outcome is an extension with a promise we won't hold him back next summer.

9 hours ago, Teddeer said:

His first post on this thread mentioned getting Ideas for stories. I'd rather read an in depth article on something we were interested enough to ask about, than random tat.

I've read the Q&A piece on the Athletic and for a professional journalist to put that up is pretty poor.

On multiple occasions he tends to repeat the same point just with slightly different wording.

Several times in the piece he makes the same point twice with only some words slightly changed.

Like that.

I kept thinking the scrolling on my phone wasn't working (haven't I just read that?) but no  just repetition. For a piece with short answers it is a poor show.

Come on Dan.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

I don't understand the criticism of a journalist who is detailed to focus on Saints 24/7. It cant be easy for Dan coming up with new angles and stories.

Id like to find out more from behind the scenes to supplement the first team stuff.

B team, women's football, what it's like for the support staff following Saints- security, cooks, analysts 

Why Katrina is still involved and what does  she do

More on Matt Crocker, which seems like a key appointment

Articles on the up and coming players

A catch up with some who have left recently and their views on Saints

Stadium Plans- the options 

How are the club building the business outside of Saints - eg do they invest in houses?

Council views on Saints and the benefits to the city

How do other club chairmen see Saints?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I've read the Q&A piece on the Athletic and for a professional journalist to put that up is pretty poor.

On multiple occasions he tends to repeat the same point just with slightly different wording.

Several times in the piece he makes the same point twice with only some words slightly changed.

Like that.

I kept thinking the scrolling on my phone wasn't working (haven't I just read that?) but no  just repetition. For a piece with short answers it is a poor show.

Come on Dan.

Weird because repetition in Saints Q&As never usually happens… Btw Dan, can we move the away fans? When will the stadium be expanded? Why won’t we spend £30m on a player?

1 hour ago, CWD said:

Weird because repetition in Saints Q&As never usually happens… Btw Dan, can we move the away fans? When will the stadium be expanded? Why won’t we spend £30m on a player?

Probably because most of the more expensive players we have bought turned out to be a waste of money and a millstone round our necks. 

@Dan Sheldon, The Athletic I've got a bit of a scoop for you/the Newcastle Athletic reporter. So, I was at the match tonight and I noticed this new phenomenon. It all started from the 15th minute and involved a Newcastle player going down after the ball had gone out of play. The other Newcastle players were then going over to Eddie Howe, receiving instructions, etc, while Southampton players also went to Hasenhuttl, to be fair. This happened six or seven times over the course of the match and led to 9 minutes being added on after the end of the regulated time of both halves with no major injuries in the match. I'd really like this looked into, as I don't think any other team in the league would do such a thing. The Newcastle player was fine to continue after treatment, etc. I would also really like to understand Keith Hackett's view on this matter, so he might be worth getting in touch with and interviewing, as he's the expert on this alongside any other mainstream media that have jumped on previous non-stories, creating a bit of hysteria over nothing. 

👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The egg chasing is even worse.  Every two minutes they stop, guys come on wearing earpieces, communicating with the manager, giving out water, energy gels, easter eggs and plenty of instructions.  The ref doesn't just stand and watch, he makes sure the clock is stopped so no time is lost in the game.  Unbelievable!  It's blatant cheating from everyone involved.  What sort of example is that setting for the kids?

(for Tamesaint's benefit [/sarcasm]).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Is he following Carl Anka? 

On 02/05/2022 at 08:26, SambaMaverick said:

🤦‍♂️

Its almost like he lifted that from a thread I started on this forum about our squad quality? 🤔

Edited by Saint86

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What did he do wrong?

Lots of snobbery directed towards him.  The media's Eddie Howe, if you will

I think the biggest issue was that Carl was very, very good.  Lots of fan interaction and insightful, well researched articles about the club, tactics and players.  Dan barely interacted with the fans and his articles felt lazy - though they did improve over time.  With the athletic being a subscription based service it's not surprising people felt a bit disappointed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I think the biggest issue was that Carl was very, very good.  Lots of fan interaction and insightful, well researched articles about the club, tactics and players.  Dan barely interacted with the fans and his articles felt lazy - though they did improve over time.  With the athletic being a subscription based service it's not surprising people felt a bit disappointed.

What did Carl do that was so good?  Made some quirky comments?  Carl was more well known, that is for sure, but unsure what he did that was so great?

2 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Good riddance

Fantastic news that The Athletic have recognised the great work that Sheldon has done.

Personally I think he has shown a lot of growth and his writing had improved in recent months.

Plus he has uncovered some genuinely exclusive and interesting stories.

Good luck Dan and well done. Well deserved promotion.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2022 at 16:17, AlexLaw76 said:

What did he do wrong?

Lots of snobbery directed towards him.  The media's Eddie Howe, if you will

Well i dont agree with the concept of paying to read tittle tattle from the likes of the athletic.

To get any kind of readers they went down the tabloid route.

Another platform for grassing football agents to stir and spread private and confiendial material.

After the ted bates statue bollocks, he should have been banned from anything to do with SFC, but we have a weak media director.

Edited by SaintsLoyal

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Fantastic news that The Athletic have recognised the great work that Sheldon has done.

Personally I think he has shown a lot of growth and his writing had improved in recent months.

Plus he has uncovered some genuinely exclusive and interesting stories.

Good luck Dan and well done. Well deserved promotion.

why are you telling me thatm you stalking oddball.

6 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Well i dont agree with the concept of paying to read tittle tattle from the likes of the athletic.

To get any kind of readers they went down the tabloid route.

Another platform for grassing football agents to stir and spread private and confiendial material.

After the ted bates statue bollocks, he should have been banned from anything to do with SFC, but we have a weak/slow media director.

What Ted Bates bollocks?

was it all a lie? Do we not want to understand if we have wrong’uns at the club? 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2022 at 17:39, AlexLaw76 said:

What did Carl do that was so good?  Made some quirky comments?  Carl was more well known, that is for sure, but unsure what he did that was so great?

Did a few bits on tactics and wrote lots of nice things. That makes him amazing. Sheldon wrote a few things they didn’t like = terrible journalism