European qualification 2022

SaintBobby

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Probably the only way Saints are to get into Europe this season is winning the FA Cup. Too far behind in the league and all the teams above Saints apart from Brighton, are better. 

9th place and a Cup win would be a superb season. 😇

Cup has to be priority now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Probably the only way Saints are to get into Europe this season is winning the FA Cup. Too far behind in the league and all the teams above Saints apart from Brighton, are better. 

Don't forget 8th place and runners up in the Cup is a sackable offense!

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Don't forget 8th place and runners up in the Cup is a sackable offense!

Playing the style of football Puel used was a major part of the issue.  Far more enjoyable watching Saints on the front foot with a high press under Hasenhüttl. Sacking Puel was the right thing to do, replacing him with Pellegrino and then Hughes was the mistake. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

7th is nearly impossible, I agree. I have just put £40 on us finishing top 10 though - and just before Leicester lost too (I got just better than evens).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Wolves losing a couple/us winning a couple, gap down to 5 and equal games. 8th certainly a slight possibility. Lord knows whether that gets us in to Europe though.

I'm sure he does, reputedly he knows everything, but unfortunaley he's not so forthcoming in passing on his knowledge. So while you await his divine revelation on the subject why not just read the thread, it will be a hell of a lot quicker.

Spoiler: As mentioned many times above, no it doesn't.

Wolves next five games are Palace, Watford, Everton, Leeds, and Newcastle. Now obviously there are no "easy" games in the premier league, but I back them to get over 10 points from that run easily. In order to catch them or atleast stay level we need to keep this run of form going. If we lose even one or two in the next 5 weeks they'll be out of sight.

Spurs have West Ham and United in their next 5 so catching them up could be doable if we keep our current form up.

Edited by TWar

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Wolves losing a couple/us winning a couple, gap down to 5 and equal games. 8th certainly a slight possibility. Lord knows whether that gets us in to Europe though.

The Lord knows two things.

1. 8th doesn't get you into Europe in any season, ever 

2. Whenever this point is mentioned someone brings up the season we qualified for Europe under Strachan. When we finished 8th.

The Lord is sick of people referencing point 2, and that's why we're on the brink of Nuclear War. 

I hope you're all satisfied.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The Lord knows two things.

1. 8th doesn't get you into Europe in amy season, ever 

2. Whenever this point is mentioned someone brings up the season we qualified for Europe under Strachan. When we finished 8th.

The Lord is sick of people referencing point 2, and that's why we're on the brink of Nuclear War. 

I hope you're all satisfied.

3. The lord is a false deity who has no influence of which teams qualify for European football.

Leicester fans seem quite focused now on winning this Europa Conference, not really any other big teams in it and winning another a trophy that would qualify for them for Europa league next season , so potentially there could be 8 teams in Europe next season unless that would take away one of our places in the league. 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Leicester fans seem quite focused now on winning this Europa Conference, not really any other big teams in it and winning another a trophy that would qualify for them for Europa league next season , so potentially there could be 8 teams in Europe next season unless that would take away one of our places in the league. 

Be good news if we can qualify by finishing 8th

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The Fair Play League stopped being route into European competitions 7 years ago. Since then the winners get a small cash prize.

Yes but not if the League Cup winner also wins the InterToto. Flipping hell mate, this is basic.

• Like 1

The fair play thing was  mental. I seem to vaguely remember we could have got into the InterToto cup if, on the last day of the season, we picked up one fewer yellow cards than Sheffield Wednesday. We had nothing else to play for. As it happens, I think it was rendered moot because we had decided not to apply to the InterToto anyway.

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Yes but not if the League Cup winner also wins the InterToto. Flipping hell mate, this is basic.

As diagonals are now live and  Sepp Blatter's therom now applies my response is 

"Mornington Crescent."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

The fair play thing was  mental. I seem to vaguely remember we could have got into the InterToto cup if, on the last day of the season, we picked up one fewer yellow cards than Sheffield Wednesday. We had nothing else to play for. As it happens, I think it was rendered moot because we had decided not to apply to the InterToto anyway.

Another example of the lack of ambition that has been the cancer of this club since our run of Southern league titles came to an end.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Another example of the lack of ambition that has been the cancer of this club since our run of Southern league titles came to an end.

Living in a false sense of security since Freemantle FC folded if you ask me. 

After tonight's cup performance I think that if we did qualify for Europe ( cup or league) we could do well. We now have a squad of players that could cope with the relentless Thursday night // Sunday matches which seems to blight so many teams of our status when they qualify for Europe.. Whilst Europe is great (think Arnhem Milan and Prague) in my heart of hearts I always fear that European qualification could ruin our PL season. With the likes of Valery (CBack) , Smallbone  and AArmstrong in our squad I don't now think this would be the case for us.

• 1 month later...