Martin Semmens Interview on Five Live

kwsaint

44 minutes ago, Dman said:

It’s strange that this is even a discussion point. 

It’s been very, very clear since the day the new owners walked in (and even before that to be honest), our strategy would remain the same and we’d remain a ‘sustainable’ club that looks to buy, develop, sell. And rightly so. If what Semmens has said is news to you, you’ve been living under a rock. 

It’s actually refreshing to hear open and honest opinions from a football club for a change.

Id much rather 2/3 years of a Tino, Broja, salisu than 5 years of Hoedt, Lemina, Carrillo. Offering a place to showcase your talent and kickstart your career sets us apart, otherwise we just be a Burnley. 

So long as the money is being reinvested, which I’ve no doubts it will, then this is absolutely the right strategy for us. If it’s good enough for Dortmund (next level of player up, granted), it’s certainly good enough for us. 

My god I agree with you. 👍

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

My god I agree with you. 👍

I’ve always been complimentary of the job Semmens and Crooker are doing. 

We’ve been a bit of a mess off the pitch (and on it at times) over the past 3/4 years, but as egg has said, a lot to be positive about moving forwards with this new mob, 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dman said:

It’s been very, very clear since the day the new owners walked in (and even before that to be honest), our strategy would remain the same and we’d remain a ‘sustainable’ club that looks to buy, develop, sell. And rightly so. If what Semmens has said is news to you, you’ve been living under a rock. 

It’s actually refreshing to hear open and honest opinions from a football club for a change.

Id much rather 2/3 years of a Tino, Broja, salisu than 5 years of Hoedt, Lemina, Carrillo. Offering a place to showcase your talent and kickstart your career sets us apart, otherwise we just be a Burnley. 

So long as the money is being reinvested, which I’ve no doubts it will, then this is absolutely the right strategy for us. If it’s good enough for Dortmund (next level of player up, granted), it’s certainly good enough for us. 

Agree with all of that mate, good post. 

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Fully agree with all you said there. It's the perfect way to run a club of our size and if people are a bit down heartened by that then they're probably supporting the wrong club.

I've always seen us as a mini Dortmund in the way we try to develop and then sell on. They're in a league not as competitive so they can push higher, but with our model we should certainly be competitive in the top half for sure. That can sometimes lead to crazy seasons where everyone is shit and we can capitalise, like Newcastle did many years ago, West Ham and even ourselves in 2015 when we finished 5th on the final day.

So I don't think anyone is downplaying or being unambitious, far from it. Play this way well and we'll end up punching above our weight at times.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

His only ambition seems  to be being a feeder club, noddy small time mentality and it’s made worse by the fact he’s so open with it ..

all the stuff said will just encourage the big clubs to raid us even more 

it’s weird to advertise this so openly 

1) He clearly stated the ambition is to be a top 10 club.

2) Can you outline what the alternative is? Players like Livramento wouldn't sign for Saints if they didn't believe the club would sell them on.

3) Isn't it better to have players like Livramento for 2 or 3 years rather than plod along with players the top clubs never want?

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

His only ambition seems  to be being a feeder club, noddy small time mentality and it’s made worse by the fact he’s so open with it ..

Yay!! The little man with a bell on his hat has made a reappearance....image.png.cd486ac12186bc624877793ac9d4eb5b.png

Edited by miserableoldgit

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Fully agree with all you said there. It's the perfect way to run a club of our size and if people are a bit down heartened by that then they're probably supporting the wrong club.

I've always seen us as a mini Dortmund in the way we try to develop and then sell on. They're in a league not as competitive so they can push higher, but with our model we should certainly be competitive in the top half for sure. That can sometimes lead to crazy seasons where everyone is shit and we can capitalise, like Newcastle did many years ago, West Ham and even ourselves in 2015 when we finished 5th on the final day.

So I don't think anyone is downplaying or being unambitious, far from it. Play this way well and we'll end up punching above our weight at times.

I really respect you on here mate but I think you are being a bit disingenuous this week. I remember you being v downbeat after cortese left and when the vision changed. I feel the semmens comments were a bit deflating earlier in the week and then Bednarek comments are poor as well and really make us seem like v small fry. I thought the takeover would make us be able to compete a bit more ie say 12th net spend wise rather than bottom. If being a bit deflated means you are supporting the wrong club then fine but I think that’s unfair mate. Also we finished 6th on the last day not 5th. 

21 minutes ago, Roger said:

I really respect you on here mate but I think you are being a bit disingenuous this week. I remember you being v downbeat after cortese left and when the vision changed. I feel the semmens comments were a bit deflating earlier in the week and then Bednarek comments are poor as well and really make us seem like v small fry. I thought the takeover would make us be able to compete a bit more ie say 12th net spend wise rather than bottom. If being a bit deflated means you are supporting the wrong club then fine but I think that’s unfair mate. Also we finished 6th on the last day not 5th. 

I guess I'm just being a bit realistic, I'm not purposely being disingenuous. There's nothing wrong with dreaming, that's what makes football fun at the end of the day, but being realistic there is no way we can ever be a consistent Top 6 team without mega, mega investment which this takeover won't provide. That's not a criticism, it's just where we are as a club and the level we operate at.

If we can make the most of the level we're at and win the battles such as scouting etc then we could have some good times. I just think it's wrong to 'expect' us to be competing in the Top 6 or pushing even higher, that's a bonus season if it ever happens. In the main we develop players, watch good teams, play good football and go-again. That's kinda been our model since year dot really, the new ownership allows us to do it with more flexibility and pace I'd say.

Cortese was spending someone else's money, that's what became apparent in the end. In the end it felt like his whole regime was built on sand, albeit it was very fun. How we're doing it under Martin is sustainable for a club of our level.

We did finish the season 5th, but Man Utd had a game in hand after the final day of the season (v Bournemouth I think) which then allowed them to finish sixth a few days later. I'll still say we finished 5th as it sounds better 😀

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Roger said:

Bednarek comments are poor as well and really make us seem like v small fry

How does hoping that the current manager ends up at a bigger club when his tenure ends here make us "seem like very small fry"? 

I hope Ralph ends up as successful as possible after he leaves Saints as it would signify, in part, that he's been successful here. 

Maybe I'm missing some logic here somewhere...?

Good god!  Why the micro analysis of every word uttered by Semmens.  It was a heartwarming interview that shows we are (once again) being run as a well organized, structured club with a plan and a vision.

It all went wrong for us last time out when Les Reed announced the strategy had changed and we started signing older, more experienced players that (on the whole) were totally duff signings.  We believed our own hype.

Me - I'm going to enjoy the beautiful brand of football we are playing right now (is there any team playing a more attractive style?) and not worry about what may or may not happen in 2 years time.  Enjoy the moment - we all know it could come to a grinding halt at any time!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

To quote Maggie May "Two FA Cup semi finals and a League Cup final in the last five years suggests we were almost within touching distance of silverware. I think attempting to achieve respectable league placings and decent cup runs each year is absolutely what we should be aiming for." Not forgetting a fairly recent European adventure.....

I think this makes the point very well. Fans forget that we almost made the champions league under koeman, not to mention the europa league run and domestic Cup runs. 

But no no, that isn't good enough for a club like saints apparently? 🙄😅 

The dortmund example above is also a very good example. 

What semmens said isn't groundbreaking. Unless you are a club like Man City / man United etc. (where money simply isn't an issue), then your number one way of generating money and improving the club is player trading. 

Saints' strategy is simply trying to maximise that. I.e. Having a clear plan and style, signing players that fit it, maximising their value and increasing the player's / club's profiles. 

If we do it well then rich teams will pay us money to keep doing it but at a higher and higher level - and we will climb the league. 

Short of a mega money owner, I'd suggest there is no other strategy that has a chance of delivering long term / sustainable improvements on our current league standing. 

I'd certainly enjoy a few more Cup finals! 

😅

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

In the league cup final we fell short because it was the season before VAR came in.

Always lose? Yeah, it completely impossible for a team like Saints to get results against teams like Man Utd or Man City or Spurs or Liverpool… completely unheard of :rolleyes:

It’s even worse sometimes because those teams don’t even use their usual players in cup games and then we have no idea how to play against them…

So, remind me how we got on in all the finals we have appeared in since 1976 against these sorts of sides?

6 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Perhaps it’s an advert for the targets we have in the summer….

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

2) Can you outline what the alternative is? Players like Livramento wouldn't sign for Saints if they didn't believe the club would sell them on.

3) Isn't it better to have players like Livramento for 2 or 3 years rather than plod along with players the top clubs never want?

regarding your point 2 I think this sells us a bit short, we already are a mid table ish prem club THAT is a selling point on it’s own to players we might look to sign .they are getting to play in the best league in the world for a decent mid table club.

Sure players like tino and broja are nice to watch, but we do have  kwp anyway, and even the tino deal has a buy back clause that would stop his value for us becoming van dijk level sale.

I think my main gripe with the whole thing is the way he is basically markettting us as a stepping stone to Liverpool.

It’s one thing to let the odd player go there for insane money if they do amazing but to set out with that as the plan reeks a bit of low ambition.

we need to try and compete and be clever in the market,players who didn’t quite cut it at big clubs like Romeu bertrand and ings worked well for us  it doesn’t always have to be youngsters .Lawries great side mixed youth with some nice solid veterans 

38 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:
9 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

regarding your point 2 I think this sells us a bit short, we already are a mid table ish prem club THAT is a selling point on it’s own to players we might look to sign .they are getting to play in the best league in the world for a decent mid table club.

Sure players like tino and broja are nice to watch, but we do have  kwp anyway, and even the tino deal has a buy back clause that would stop his value for us becoming van dijk level sale.

I think my main gripe with the whole thing is the way he is basically markettting us as a stepping stone to Liverpool.

It’s one thing to let the odd player go there for insane money if they do amazing but to set out with that as the plan reeks a bit of low ambition.

we need to try and compete and be clever in the market,players who didn’t quite cut it at big clubs like Romeu bertrand and ings worked well for us  it doesn’t always have to be youngsters .Lawries great side mixed youth with some nice solid veterans 

Expand  

"Players that don't cut it at the big clubs" include Romeu yes but also include Lemina and Hoedt. So is a more expensive and risky method than the one we are trying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jessinkalasin said:

So, remind me how we got on in all the finals we have appeared in since 1976 against these sorts of sides?

Well, handing Klopp his only ever Semi-Final defeat was a particularly sweet one, especially over two legs.

We don’t need it to happen every time we get a chance, only once. Smaller teams than Saints have won the FA Cup since 76, claiming it could never happen for Saints is demonstrably ridiculous.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

"Players that don't cut it at the big clubs" include Romeu yes but also include Lemina and Hoedt. So is a more expensive and risky method than the one we are trying.

Plus Romeu was only 23 when he joined, so is another successful young signing. That's a much more successful route for us. More experienced big 6 player signings makes me think of Perry Groves and David Howells. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Plus Romeu was only 23 when he joined, so is another successful young signing. That's a much more successful route for us. More experienced big 6 player signings makes me think of Perry Groves and David Howells. 

Stuart Ripley and Mark Hughes 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

Well, handing Klopp his only ever Semi-Final defeat was a particularly sweet one, especially over two legs.

We don’t need it to happen every time we get a chance, only once. Smaller teams than Saints have won the FA Cup since 76, claiming it could never happen for Saints is demonstrably ridiculous.

76 was a totally different era. Have a look back over say the last 15 years and see how many times a non top 4 side has won the FA cup. It is getting harder and harder. So, unless we totally focus and commit to it, we will not be winning it anytime soon.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jessinkalasin said:

76 was a totally different era. Have a look back over say the last 15 years and see how many times a non top 4 side has won the FA cup. It is getting harder and harder. So, unless we totally focus and commit to it, we will not be winning it anytime soon.

Saints made two FA Cup semi finals and a League Cup final in the last 5 years... so it is possible for us to get very close without owner investment. Let alone with owner investment.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saints made two FA Cup semi finals and a League Cup final in the last 5 years... without owner investment.

Errr, sorry you seem to miss my point. This is exactly what I am saying. We will probably make some more semi finals and finals in the next 5-10 years also, but we will NOT win either cup. It is just always a step too far for us and we always seem to come up against a top side and we fail to even turn up. Football has changed a lot in the last 5 years, so much so that now the big boys can still beat us with reserve sides in most cases. Man City 6 Watford 0 is a great example of how easy it can be to get a great run a draws and a day in the final, but invariably we will end up against a top top side and lose. Sorry, tiz my opinion and facts back it up as with each passing year it gets harder and harder. Until the money side of the game changes, we will not be winning a cup without serious investment.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saints made two FA Cup semi finals and a League Cup final in the last 5 years... without owner investment.

Agreed. 76 was a long time ago. But with solid investment and stability, we can expect to get get back to the levels seen under Koeman and Poch - it seems harsh to then categorically rule out winning a cup in the next 5-10 years - especially given our European qualification and cup performances in recent years.

Leicester won it last season and they're shite and were on their standard end of season capitulation 😄. Since then, we've traded them two of the shittest defenders in the league.

I bet west ham (a champions league chasing team) are absolutely delighted to have drawn saints away...

Edited by Saint86

4 minutes ago, Jessinkalasin said:

Errr, sorry you seem to miss my point. This is exactly what I am saying. We will probably make some more semi finals and finals in the next 5-10 years also, but we will NOT win either cup. It is just always a step too far for us and we always seem to come up against a top side and we fail to even turn up. Football has changed a lot in the last 5 years, so much so that now the big boys can still beat us with reserve sides in most cases. Man City 6 Watford 0 is a great example of how easy it can be to get a great run a draws and a day in the final, but invariably we will end up against a top top side and lose. Sorry, tiz my opinion and facts back it up as with each passing year it gets harder and harder. Until the money side of the game changes, we will not be winning a cup without serious investment.

I mean, we should have won the league cup final and probably would have done with VAR. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jessinkalasin said:

On our day we are more than a match for most if not all of the prem teams would you not agree?

2 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

On our day we are more than a match for most if not all of the prem teams would you not agree?

No one is a match for man city when they turn up. I'd also argue the same for Liverpool.

But we can have the other 17teams if we play at our best. I'd personally love to see this side (playing like we have done recently) in a cup final - would be a great final as a minimum.

5 hours ago, Jessinkalasin said:

That’s bollocks, there is always an element of luck in the cup. Leicester are not one of the big boys and they have just won it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, aintforever said:

That’s bollocks, there is always an element of luck in the cup. Leicester are not one of the big boys and they have just won it.

OK, let's just wait and see shall we. Next 5 years, i guarantee you we will not win the FA Cup. Further more I'll wager at least 4 times it will be won by one of the top 4 or 5 clubs.

43 minutes ago, Jessinkalasin said:

OK, let's just wait and see shall we. Next 5 years, i guarantee you we will not win the FA Cup. Further more I'll wager at least 4 times it will be won by one of the top 4 or 5 clubs.

So surely that 1 out of 5 times undermines your entire point.

• Haha 12

14 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I've always said to anyone who'd listen that England will be beaten in a final before they win a tournament again. And they only went and did that.

I mean, thats a two solution question and you've opted for the higher than 50% chance option i'd say - given our losing mentality as a national side (always harder to win the first one) and propensity for second rate managers.

Just listened to the broadcast and it was good to hear someone who talked sense about the way the club is being run and the strategy for the future.

That said, if we lose a few upcoming games against the teams below us in the League the current positive view of our club will be diluted.

Meantime it is refreshing to hear Martin Semmens talk in a sensible way compared to the rambling way our previous Chairman, Ralph Kreuger, used to come across.

16 hours ago, Jessinkalasin said:

So what odds you offering on that?

Only I can only get 25-1 on Saints winning it by the end of this year, and if you're absolutely certain it won't happen...

7 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

So what odds you offering on that?

Only I can only get 25-1 on Saints winning it by the end of this year, and if you're absolutely certain it won't happen...

100% certain we will not win the FA cup this. For all of those speaking of Leicester, all I can say is LOL, and read my posts again. Outside the top 4 or 5 the only teams to ever win it are heavily funded. The likes of us will never get there as we do not compete on salary and transfer spends. You need only look at FA cup winners this century. One in 22 years. And let's be honest, football is getting less and less competitive. The top teams now are starting to win the cups more and more and more with each passing season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessinkalasin said:

100% certain we will not win the FA cup this. For all of those speaking of Leicester, all I can say is LOL, and read my posts again. Outside the top 4 or 5 the only teams to ever win it are heavily funded. The likes of us will never get there as we do not compete on salary and transfer spends. You need only look at FA cup winners this century. One in 22 years. And let's be honest, football is getting less and less competitive. The top teams now are starting to win the cups more and more and more with each passing season.

Ok, so taken a look at this as it didn’t seem right.

Whilst only 3 teams outside the so called top 6 have won the FA Cup this century (Leicester, Wigan and another no-mark lower division club), I counted 12 other clubs who were finalists. Villa (twice), Stoke, West Ham (twice), Watford, Palace, Hull, Cardiff, Everton, Millwall, perennial Lg 1 playoff losers also got to another and of course, we were there in 2003.

There were a lot of narrow losses in there, including our own final. So, whilst no-one thinks it’s highly likely we will win it, some are saying there’s a chance at some point of getting to the final and then it’s down to the day.

Also, Top 6 Spurs have not made a final since 1991. How heavily funded have they been in that time?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

Ok, so taken a look at this as it didn’t seem right.

Whilst only 3 teams outside the so called top 6 have won the FA Cup this century (Leicester, Wigan and another no-mark lower division club), I counted 12 other clubs who were finalists. Villa (twice), Stoke, West Ham (twice), Watford, Palace, Hull, Cardiff, Everton, Millwall, perennial Lg 1 playoff losers also got to another and of course, we were there in 2003.

There were a lot of narrow losses in there, including our own final. So, whilst no-one thinks it’s highly likely we will win it, some are saying there’s a chance at some point of getting to the final and then it’s down to the day.

Also, Top 6 Spurs have not made a final since 1991. How heavily funded have they been in that time?

You have made my point perfectly, and likely cannot even see it. Many thanks.

• Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Jessinkalasin said:

You have made my point perfectly, and likely cannot even see it. Many thanks.

Your point seems to be that a big club will probably win the cup and we won't. Which you are parading around like some exclusive genius insight that only clever old you has arrived at. 

When in reality it is a meaningless banality that barely needs saying.

The rest of us would like Saints to try and win a cup.

• Like 6

Brilliant interview by Semmens. I've not been this happy with where Saints are heading since under Keoman. I hope in the summer we will recruit players similar to Tino and Broja from Chelsea or City (attacking midfield please). His interview reinforces the message "come to Southampton and reach your potential"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jessinkalasin said:

Everyone knows it's unlikely we win the cup, but claiming it's 100% impossible is classic gambler's fallacy.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

There’s also the chance of getting to the semi-final, being the only Premier League with Championship Barnsley, West Brom and Cardiff being the other semi-finalists. Would be laid on a plate for us. 🤷‍♂️

Did you know the year Pompey won it those 3 were the other semi finalists?

It still winds me up that they only had one tough game on their way to the final and got unreal luck in that. they got absolutely battered, United missed chance after chance, few off the line, hit the post then their winner was from a soft penalty given for a foul by United sub keeper after Van Der Saar got injured. Sub keeper sent off which meant for the penalty they had Rio Ferdinand in goal and United had to finish the game with 10 men and an outfield player as glovesman. 

After an easy first two rounds, lucky 5th round win they got championship clubs in the semi final and final.  

Got to be one of the spawniest cup wins ever. Everything from the draw they got all the way through, luck in their hardest game, IIRC even one of the games in the earlier rounds they won by an injury time own goal. When have we had that sort of luck with anything?

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Did you know the year Pompey won it those 3 were the other semi finalists?

It still winds me up that they only had one tough game on their way to the final and got unreal luck in that. they got absolutely battered, United missed chance after chance, few off the line, hit the post then their winner was from a soft penalty given for a foul by United sub keeper after Van Der Saar got injured. Sub keeper sent off which meant for the penalty they had Rio Ferdinand in goal and United had to finish the game with 10 men and an outfield player as glovesman. 

After an easy first two rounds, lucky 5th round win they got championship clubs in the semi final and final.  

Got to be one of the spawniest cup wins ever. Everything from the draw they got all the way through, luck in their hardest game, IIRC even one of the games in the earlier rounds they won by an injury time own goal. When have we had that sort of luck with anything?

Never gggrrrrrr

7 hours ago, Dank said:

Brilliant interview by Semmens. I've not been this happy with where Saints are heading since under Keoman. I hope in the summer we will recruit players similar to Tino and Broja from Chelsea or City (attacking midfield please). His interview reinforces the message "come to Southampton and reach your potential"

That's what I took out of a lot of the interview. Semmens wasn't running away with black box delusions. He said that while we'd like to hold onto some fantastic players, we are more than willing to be a key part of their pathway, for them to achieve everything they can in their career.

He set out a win win for any player looking to play regularly at a great standard, in one of the best leagues around. Hopefully lots of top players at academies, out of favour at their own clubs or looking to kick start their chances will be looking at us as a club they'd love to be part of.

I think many of our fans, and certainly a few posters in here need to take a heady dose of realism, we aren’t ever going to be knocking on the top 6 door with any regularity, this isn’t just because of money, but because of FFP restrictions and the current status quo

Im all for Semmens being frank and open with our current strategy, its smart, its directed and its working.

Aimlessly throwing money at the game doesn’t tend to work in anything but a minute amount of cases, and most of those situations tended to be pre FFP restrictions (Everton or Villa are hardly moving forward), so we need to do something a little different and I applaud him for being honest about it

• Like 3

On 19/02/2022 at 17:08, Holmes_and_Watson said:

That's what I took out of a lot of the interview. Semmens wasn't running away with black box delusions. He said that while we'd like to hold onto some fantastic players, we are more than willing to be a key part of their pathway, for them to achieve everything they can in their career.

He set out a win win for any player looking to play regularly at a great standard, in one of the best leagues around. Hopefully lots of top players at academies, out of favour at their own clubs or looking to kick start their chances will be looking at us as a club they'd love to be part of.

The good old game of prisoner’s dilemma or perhaps in this case it should be player’s dilemma. 

Saints are being seen to be cooperative, seeking a competitive advantage - having a pick of the higher end young players, perhaps not the elite (but maybe one day). The player can see all the benefits and pitfalls. Certainly a clearer view for the player and Saints are likely to get to know the real player as it seems personality is also considered as a criteria for a good fit with the club.