Martin Semmens Interview on Five Live

kwsaint

18 hours ago, trousers said:

Listening to it now. Wow, what an impressive interview, on a national radio station to boot. The 5live panel/interviewer were so impressed with his pragmatic approach to running a football club. I think we're pretty unique in our player (and manager) pathway approach. Long may it continue. 

Listen link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0014lb5

Tks Trousers for linking that ✔️

Sat by the pool in 35c, sunny, clear skies in Cape Town it made my little day 👍

You are my light and my life….

Forever,

Euro

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom & Gerry said:

It's quite a stretch, but he clearly didn't mean this year. So if he meant last year and like me he doesn't realise how time flies, especially in football and got that wrong it could be Potter.

I'm certain it's Potter. Semmens either deliberately fudged the timeline so as not to give the game away or, as you say, he didn't realise how time has flown in this time warp that is the pandemic.

Only Potter was miles and away the obvious choice based on his record, Lage is doing brilliantly but he wasn't an obvious choice. Frank was even less of an obvious choice being Dean Smith's assistant.

Edited by Singapore Saint

8 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

I'm certain it's Potter. Semmens either deliberately fudged the timeline so as not to give the game away or, as you say, he didn't realise how time has flown in this time warp that is the pandemic.

Only Potter was miles and away the obvious choice based on his record, Lage is doing brilliantly but he wasn't an obvious choice. Frank was even less of an obvious choice being Dean Smith's assistant.

Potter joined Brighton 5 months after Ralph started here. It’s quite clearly not Potter. 

It’s all irrelevant theories though, no one will ever know. 

• Like 3

The point is not who exactly will replace Ralph, it is more that the club is always ready with an ideal successor. Semmens actually said in the interview they won't be able to get the guy who they had lined up anymore, so we won't be able to guess our next manager from his comments. 

One question missing from the interview imo is how do we compete with clubs like Brighton, Brentford, and maybe Wolves, who all seem well run and I would imagine make the same pitch as us while signing players. Going back to Koeman era you could say we were the only Premier League club happy to sell but I don't think that's true anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Singapore Saint said:

Give what game away? Whoever it is is not going to be our manager as Semmens inferred.

Graham Potter's next step is going to be higher up than us.  A mediocre spell at Villa/Everton/Newcastle/Leeds/Leicester awaits.

Edited by CB Fry

Seems a bit of a pointless debate given that we're not going to get said manager, as he's out of our reach as was confirmed by Martin.

I think a lot has been taken out of context with his comments, in essence how I read it is that there is a continual dialog about potential successors to Ralph and they are all open and honest about it. One of the successors that may have been on a list has actually rocked up in the PL now and is thus no longer on our list, that's how I read it.

It could be one of 3 or 4 people, but it seems a bit pointless debating it as they're not going to be our manager now.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Am not 100 percent convinced that Ralph wil walk away in 2024. 

Nor is Ralph. He said he didn't know whether he would have the strength to go through with it when the time comes (or words to that effect). Think too many people are reading too much in to what he said in an interview. Just as I think people are trying to over analyse Semmens' comments about Ralph's successor. You can't really identify a specific candidate this far in advance, you can have a short list of ideal candidates, but what are the.hancesnof your top target actually being available in 2024,I don't think anyone is hanging around just waiting for the Saints job to become available, I would be seriously worried about taking anyone with that mindset.

• Like 2

On 14/02/2022 at 20:05, Disco Stu said:

Seems a little strange to say they have a name in mind if it's truly over 2 years away. That's a very long time in football. I've never known of a situation like this at another club (at least not publicly).

There was a story I heard - don't know how true it was - that Saints were thinking this way in the 70s.

After recruiting Lawrie to work as Asst Manager to Ted Bates he moved into the role after 4 months shadowing.  Seeing the benefit of succession management they then identified *cough* a certain Ian Branfoot as the next manager.  He was youth team coach at the time and they wanted hime to get more experience with senior squad players so he went of to manage Reading with the intention of coming back when Lawrie eventually moved on.  What went wrong was he became a little impatient and went to work with his old mate Steve Coppell at Palace.  This was where it all went wrong.  He became seduced by the long ball game coached by Coppell and when he eventually came back to Southampton as manager he insisted on using that style here.   It was totally against everything Southampton stood for.  The players didn't respond well and the fans...    ...well the rest is history a they say.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Puzzling why Semmens said if Liverpool wanted to buy a young talent we wouldn’t stop them.

Then he said Livermento to Liverpool, then he mentions Liverpool again.

f**king obsessed with Liverpool arent we?

Is this part of the Les Reed legacy or something?

It was when we stopped agreeing to let players leave that things started going down the shitter. When Les was here I think he even branded us a shop window club, Mane, Van Dijk etc knew if they came here and performed they’d get a big move that’s how it’s going to be. Hardly any kid outside of Southampton grows up dreaming of playing for us, so if we can get too young players by telling them they’ll play and if they do well they’ll get a big move then bring it on,  brilliant. Bigger clubs than us do that so no shame In it. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Think Semmens is talking about Eddie Howe as the guy they want to replace Ralph. Doubt he's in Newcastle's long term plans.

Listening to the interview Semmens says they HAD someone in mind to eventually replace Ralph who had just come into the EPL over the last year and done a terrific job.  He was miles ahead of anyone else as being a good fit.  He then went on to say that the person had already gone on to the next level and would no longer be available or suitable.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Puzzling why Semmens said if Liverpool wanted to buy a young talent we wouldn’t stop them.

Why the f**k is it Puzzling? They're one of the most famous/successful clubs in world football!

Schneiderlin had his best season following the summer he was told to stay and earnt his move the year later, Van Dijk had his worst half season the summer he was told to stay and was gone before the January window opened. Unfortunately in today's football, the latter is more often the case if you don't grant players their moves, they just stop playing. Look at Kane... JWP has more league goals than him this season.

The key thing is not letting them all go at once. I know that we survived it before and even improved, but it's a risky strategy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

The key thing is not letting them all go at once. I know that we survived it before and even improved, but it's a risky strategy.

It's a very tough balancing act, where perfect world planning of recruitment, development and release meets endless real world variables.

Good to hear that the succession planning has identified a number coming through the narrow market of Replacvement Ralphs. And that they take confidence form their approach in that their first choice by miles is now doing so well.

On re listening to the interview, I was struck by how honest & clear he was.

There was a sprinkling of corporate gobbledegook (apparently it’s vital that everyone from the receptionist to the tea lady to JWP and Ralph all “talk the same way” or some such like?!)

However, I usually find it meaningless when club’s talk about their own culture and philosophy and approach. Is there really a discernible QPR or Aston Villa or Nottingham Forest “way”? Most clubs are not really that discernibly different. They operate in a similar fashion and are about as distinguishable as different Wetherspoon pubs. There may be differences - but not that amount to anything philosophical or deep.

Seemens though persuaded me that Saints may really have a unique and thoroughgoing approach that really does mark us out. 

The reason I’m so intrigued about the “next manager” puzzle isn’t because that person will actually be the next manager - they almost certainly won’t. But if we knew the identity of the bloke, it would help bring a little more clarity to how Saints think in football terms.

35 minutes ago, Mowgli said:

There was a story I heard - don't know how true it was - that Saints were thinking this way in the 70s.

After recruiting Lawrie to work as Asst Manager to Ted Bates he moved into the role after 4 months shadowing.  Seeing the benefit of succession management they then identified *cough* a certain Ian Branfoot as the next manager.  He was youth team coach at the time and they wanted hime to get more experience with senior squad players so he went of to manage Reading with the intention of coming back when Lawrie eventually moved on.  What went wrong was he became a little impatient and went to work with his old mate Steve Coppell at Palace.  This was where it all went wrong.  He became seduced by the long ball game coached by Coppell and when he eventually came back to Southampton as manager he insisted on using that style here.   It was totally against everything Southampton stood for.  The players didn't respond well and the fans...    ...well the rest is history a they say.

Back then, I helped run the Travel Club, and worked in the Club shop on matchdays, and remember hearing a number of times from people that were on the staff at the Dell, that Mr Branfoot was going to make a very good manager Someday.....didn't quite happen...

Edited by miserableoldgit

Personally I don’t mind players moving on. It is inevitable. We can’t compete with the wages and promise of trophies the big teams offer. But I would hope Martin Semmens and co will try and convince the players who do eventually attract the big clubs to stay a bit longer and try and build a winning team here first. I’d like to hope the club have some aspirations to at least win a cup competition. 

Edited by Saint J 77
  • Like 2

I was bit disappointed with it really. Came across as lacking ambition, even if realistic.

Essentially he said we’re a mid table team and aspire to stay that way. We’ll sell talent to the top 6 and use the money to sure up mid tableness and make some profit.

Hardly inspirational.

I do concede that the lack of any FFP means realistically without a Russian or Middle Eastern suitor, things appear to be as good as they will ever get. But I would like to have heard some fire about developing players, hanging on to them longer, moving up the table, aiming for top 6 or 8 etc. A Leicester is possible, arguably they are (were!) knocking top 6. I didn’t get any sporting ambition from him, just the business one.

Not sure I buy the argument of ‘players won’t come here, if we won’t sell them’. Isn’t the point of a contract to give certainty to both parties? Players can obviously leave at any time with a sizeable offer or at the end of their contract. Surely the real aim is to hang on to talent for as long as you can ?????

Players will only ever view the Saints as stepping stone, get out of it what they can, no long term aspirations with the team. Seems as odd message.

Telling bit was Micah: ‘so what’s the destination – top 6?’. Martin ‘Not really. The destination for us is not about where we finish in the league’ then ‘it’s about creating a pathway for players’. Sounds like we are focussing on being a training academy.

Perhaps we should suggest Ralph for the Man Utd job? On a personal level it would be nice to see JWP get some silverware for his talents. Perhaps we should encourage him into a top 6 club?  Sounds daft doesn't it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

I was bit disappointed with it really. Came across as lacking ambition, even if realistic.

Essentially he said we’re a mid table team and aspire to stay that way. We’ll sell talent to the top 6 and use the money to sure up mid tableness and make some profit.

Hardly inspirational.

I do concede that the lack of any FFP means realistically without a Russian or Middle Eastern suitor, things appear to be as good as they will ever get. But I would like to have heard some fire about developing players, hanging on to them longer, moving up the table, aiming for top 6 or 8 etc. A Leicester is possible, arguably they are (were!) knocking top 6. I didn’t get any sporting ambition from him, just the business one.

Not sure I buy the argument of ‘players won’t come here, if we won’t sell them’. Isn’t the point of a contract to give certainty to both parties? Players can obviously leave at any time with a sizeable offer or at the end of their contract. Surely the real aim is to hang on to talent for as long as you can ?????

Players will only ever view the Saints as stepping stone, get out of it what they can, no long term aspirations with the team. Seems as odd message.

Telling bit was Micah: ‘so what’s the destination – top 6?’. Martin ‘Not really. The destination for us is not about where we finish in the league’ then ‘it’s about creating a pathway for players’. Sounds like we are focussing on being a training academy.

Perhaps we should suggest Ralph for the Man Utd job? On a personal level it would be nice to see JWP get some silverware for his talents. Perhaps we should encourage him into a top 6 club?  Sounds daft doesn't it.

Two FA Cup semi finals and a League Cup final in the last five years suggests we were almost within touching distance of silverware. I think attempting to achieve respectable league placings and decent cup runs each year is absolutely what we should be aiming for. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

Hardly inspirational.

It’s a win for managing expectations, and Semmens has exceeded expectations on this front. Fortunately Saints fans are not that ambitious for their club and have no particular expectations other than being reasonably entertained. The approach of the club is aligned with fans, and indeed an average city, so it’s a great fit. 

As for the point about JWP, we should let him go to win something, and fans shouldn’t get upset because it’s the Southampton way. Defectors, we salute you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

Hardly inspirational.

The alternative is say a load of stuff about aiming to be regularly challenging top six and then when inevitably that doesn't happen people like you get pissed off because the CEO said we'd do it that time and he's a liar just trying to get season ticket money.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

Hardly inspirational.

If we attract talent, give them game time and development, then refuse to let them go, we won't get that talent in the first place. VVD and Lallana are examples of us holding on too long (yeah I know they were under contract, bit that's for our benefit in terms of fees, not theirs). 

We ain't got the financial muscle to compete with the big  boys so top 6 expectations are unrealistic. Semmens was honest and realistic, and I respect him for that. 

Personally I loved the interview. I've grown up watching saints blood young players, and it's been great to see them players flourish elsewhere and have great careers. I think it's brilliant that rather than whingeing that other clubs are hoovering up most of the talented kids, we've found a plan B that makes us attractive to those kids when they can't see first team football at their club. 

Take the positives. There's loads them. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Good point. Why Semmens said that I don’t know. We may be a feeder club but we shouldn’t be publicising it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

Hardly inspirational.

It's a game of opinions.  mine is very different to this.

It's fine for us fans to dream of the things you are describing @Dragon_manbut I don't want the CEO blowing smoke up my arse about us doing a Leicester.  And I don't want him mortgaging the future of the club on a chance for success that is not sustainable (as per Risdale at Leeds).  I want someone sensible who's committed to bringing exciting, challenging football to us fans and exceeding expectations competitively.  Settled in the upper half of the best league in the world with the chance to occasionally have a crack at the cups and Europe 

And he didn't say this at all.  "We’ll sell talent to the top 6 and use the money to sure up mid tableness and make some profit."  That's a very eeyore interpretation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

Hardly inspirational.

I completely agree with this, we've basically told any team in the league that they're welcome to our players, makes Crooks job even easier selling our players to other teams after every decent game.

I know the reality is that if a team comes in with money then we'll sell, but I don't want to hear that from the club, I'd like to hear a little more ambition from them other than being liverpool's academy, why would I waste £700 a year just to know the club aren't interested in winning anything and are more interested in producing players for top clubs.

The trouble with saints fans is that we're far too pragmatic and it makes the club able to get away with saying shite like this, can you imagine if the owners of west ham, everton, villa even palace  came out with this, their fans would be in uproar, our fans have a small club mentality, just happy to be amongst the big boys and whilst we're happy to be like this the club will just match our ambitions.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

I completely agree with this, we've basically told any team in the league that they're welcome to our players, makes Crooks job even easier selling our players to other teams after every decent game.

I know the reality is that if a team comes in with money then we'll sell, but I don't want to hear that from the club, I'd like to hear a little more ambition from them other than being liverpool's academy, why would I waste £700 a year just to know the club aren't interested in winning anything and are more interested in producing players for top clubs.

The trouble with saints fans is that we're far too pragmatic and it makes the club able to get away with saying shite like this, can you imagine if the owners of west ham, everton, villa even palace  came out with this, their fans would be in uproar, our fans have a small club mentality, just happy to be amongst the big boys and whilst we're happy to be like this the club will just match our ambitions.

I think big teams know they can get our players for the right price, as with any non-big 6 team, they don't need to be told. Even bigger teams who are actually pushing, or have pushed, for top 4 like West Ham and Leicester are expecting to field offers for stars like Tielemans and Rice.

We are more telegraphing to prospective signings that we know we are a stepping stone club and we are happy to let players leave who outgrow us. Could be very helpful in securing new young players.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

I buy my ST to watch Saints play........11 men in red and white stripes. To a degree I don't care which 11 it is as long as they give 100% and make me feel proud. Did I love having VvD, for example, with us? Yes of course. Was I disappointed when he left? Yes of course, but getting £75M eased the pain......just a pity that it was basically wasted. I actually look forward to carrying on with (and improving on) the business model that we have had for a while - sign exciting young talent, enjoy having them as they develop for a couple of seasons, sell for big money, bring the next load in. The days of players staying with clubs for life or most of their careers has gone. I would much rather see exciting, developing young players like Tino etc, than regularly bringing in expensive mercenaries with no real loyalty to the club, looking for their next big payday. Having said all that, would I also like to see that we are still able to have the occasional "one-club man" (JWP?)....oh yes. 

• Like 2

Dortmund are consistently within the top three of the Bundesliga despite being a stepping stone club. It is a less competitive league, but they’ve shown you can succeed even when selling your best players. It’s all about getting the replacements and the scouting right. That’s where clubs fail. If you have a supply chain of Lewandowski, Gotze, Hummels, Aubameyang, Dembele, Sancho and now Haaland, you won’t go wrong.

Atalanta are following a similar pathway, breaking into Serie A’s top four and competing in the Champions League, despite having a 21,000 seater stadium and being a yo-yo club in the 2000s. 

Its no secret that our best period of recent years came when we had the brain of Paul Mitchell heading our recruitment. Replacing Lovren with an Alderweireld and then replacing Alderweireld with a Van Dijk was fine. It’s when you start replacing Van Dijk with a Hoedt/Vestergaard that the problems arise.

• Like 2

I agree with both of you TWar and Miserableoldgit, I just feel the pr from the club should be a little more what the fans want to hear and I don't mean spending millions and getting into the champions league, but hoping to keep players a little longer, having ambitions to maybe win a cup and get into Europe.

We all know our players will be flogged as soon as the big boys call, it doesn't mean we want that message rammed down our throats, I'm pretty sure the big clubs already know this and don't need a pr offensive from us to let them know.

Why do we need to telegraph prospective signings to let them know what we're doing, I'm pretty sure they and their agents can see exactly what we're doing and this would no doubt be discussed during any negotiations.

I agree I'd rather have the exciting players coming in to develop and see them for a few years, instead of the journeyman we've had in the past, but fans need something to be excited about, to look forward to, telling the fans our ambition is to produce players for the big clubs is not what I want to hear, although we all know we are doing this.

I just feel the pr from the club should be a little more what the fans want to hear

Even if it's not true?

1 hour ago, Millbrook Saint said:

can you imagine if the owners of west ham, everton, villa even palace  came out with this, their fans would be in uproar

I don't know about Palace but most of the fans I know of the other teams you mention are constantly miserable, precisely because their  club's PR has over promised and under delivered

28 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I buy my ST to watch Saints play........11 men in red and white stripes. To a degree I don't care which 11 it is as long as they give 100% and make me feel proud.

I'm with this.  Exciting football, committed team, ability to have a go a the big boys, good atmosphere.  At a club I am proud to be associated with

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

I agree with both of you TWar and Miserableoldgit, I just feel the pr from the club should be a little more what the fans want to hear and I don't mean spending millions and getting into the champions league, but hoping to keep players a little longer, having ambitions to maybe win a cup and get into Europe.

We all know our players will be flogged as soon as the big boys call, it doesn't mean we want that message rammed down our throats, I'm pretty sure the big clubs already know this and don't need a pr offensive from us to let them know.

Why do we need to telegraph prospective signings to let them know what we're doing, I'm pretty sure they and their agents can see exactly what we're doing and this would no doubt be discussed during any negotiations.

I agree I'd rather have the exciting players coming in to develop and see them for a few years, instead of the journeyman we've had in the past, but fans need something to be excited about, to look forward to, telling the fans our ambition is to produce players for the big clubs is not what I want to hear, although we all know we are doing this.

To quote Maggie May "Two FA Cup semi finals and a League Cup final in the last five years suggests we were almost within touching distance of silverware. I think attempting to achieve respectable league placings and decent cup runs each year is absolutely what we should be aiming for." Not forgetting a fairly recent European adventure.....

2 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

I think the point is that Semmens isn't talking to the clubs. 

He's talking to you. 

Its an interview on Five Live, not a conference speech at the Football Administrators Association.

I repeat my earlier point. If he says "what you want to hear" then all that happens is you hold it against him the minute we sell someone or don't spend £38m on a player but Palace do. "He said we were challenging top 6 well it doesn't look like it to me".

Edited by CB Fry

Semmens was simply laying out the way the club will be run over the next few years. I am hugely encouraged by his proposed approach for a club such as ours which is unable to compete financially with the big spenders. We appear to have good people in post, a plan, realistic aspirations and the possibility of watching some exciting young players playing entertaining football.

Although he didn't say it I have no doubt he also believes that this model gives the greatest opportunity for continued team progression and potential silverware.

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

To quote Maggie May "Two FA Cup semi finals and a League Cup final in the last five years suggests we were almost within touching distance of silverware. I think attempting to achieve respectable league placings and decent cup runs each year is absolutely what we should be aiming for." Not forgetting a fairly recent European adventure.....

There is a big difference between semi final and winning. A lot of teams like us get to semi's here and there but never win cups. Sad but true.

He outlined the strategy pretty honestly.  Come here as a young player.  We will play you, improve you and if you want to leave later, that's fine.  I think we've all accepted that if a player flourishes, they'll be looking upwards.  

Also mentioning us as a top 10 club seems like a good strategy.  He was a bit coy in my opinion, effectively saying our strategy wasn't to win trophies, but for me to be a stable top 10 side is a great position to be in to do just that, to have the occasional push towards something special.  

9 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Not really....it is two results. A big difference is never being good enough to get to a semi-final...

Totally wrong. At semi final stage we and clubs like us fall short because we inevitably come up against the big boys and always always lose. Meanwhile in the early rounds we get easy games. The difference in any sport between winners and second best is always big. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jessinkalasin said:

Totally wrong. At semi final stage we and clubs like us fall short because we inevitably come up against the big boys and always always lose. Meanwhile in the early rounds we get easy games. The difference in any sport between winners and second best is always big. 

In the league cup final we fell short because it was the season before VAR came in.

Always lose? Yeah, it completely impossible for a team like Saints to get results against teams like Man Utd or Man City or Spurs or Liverpool… completely unheard of :rolleyes:

It’s even worse sometimes because those teams don’t even use their usual players in cup games and then we have no idea how to play against them…

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jessinkalasin said:

Bigger than being third, fourth or fifth best?

58 minutes ago, Manuel said:

mentioning us as a top 10 club seems like a good strategy.  He was a bit coy in my opinion, effectively saying our strategy wasn't to win trophies, but for me to be a stable top 10 side is a great position to be in to do just that, to have the occasional push towards something special.  

Indeed. Leicester were able to "Do a Leceister" not because they realistically thought they could win the league that season, but because they set themselves the target of a solid top half finish. One of the main factors in them winning the league was due to the traditional 'big 6' having a perfect storm below par season. Semmen's "solid top 10" strategy puts us in the best position to pinch a place in Europe, or a cup win, every now and then, ergo it's as ambitious as we can realistically expect to be. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jessinkalasin said:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Indeed. Leicester were able to "Do a Leceister" not because they realistically thought they could win the league that season, but because they set themselves the target of a solid top half finish. One of the main factors in them winning the league was due to the traditional 'big 6' having a perfect storm below par season. Semmen's "solid top 10" strategy puts us in the best position to pinch a place in Europe, or a cup win, every now and then, ergo it's as ambitious as we can realistically expect to be. 

No no no trousers- ambition is Champions league in 3-4 years. It would bankrupt us so we would all be supporting athletic Southampton on the common but hey we had ambition.

7 hours ago, egg said:

If we attract talent, give them game time and development, then refuse to let them go, we won't get that talent in the first place. VVD and Lallana are examples of us holding on too long (yeah I know they were under contract, bit that's for our benefit in terms of fees, not theirs). 

We ain't got the financial muscle to compete with the big  boys so top 6 expectations are unrealistic. Semmens was honest and realistic, and I respect him for that. 

Personally I loved the interview. I've grown up watching saints blood young players, and it's been great to see them players flourish elsewhere and have great careers. I think it's brilliant that rather than whingeing that other clubs are hoovering up most of the talented kids, we've found a plan B that makes us attractive to those kids when they can't see first team football at their club. 

Take the positives. There's loads them. 

It’s strange that this is even a discussion point. 

It’s been very, very clear since the day the new owners walked in (and even before that to be honest), our strategy would remain the same and we’d remain a ‘sustainable’ club that looks to buy, develop, sell. And rightly so. If what Semmens has said is news to you, you’ve been living under a rock. 

It’s actually refreshing to hear open and honest opinions from a football club for a change.

Id much rather 2/3 years of a Tino, Broja, salisu than 5 years of Hoedt, Lemina, Carrillo. Offering a place to showcase your talent and kickstart your career sets us apart, otherwise we just be a Burnley. 

So long as the money is being reinvested, which I’ve no doubts it will, then this is absolutely the right strategy for us. If it’s good enough for Dortmund (next level of player up, granted), it’s certainly good enough for us. 

• Like 8