Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Paulwantsapint81

Fuck me, that's an awful line up. Antonio will destroy Valery and Stephens. Smallbone and Djenepo won't cause them a problem between them. 

We're as safe as houses in the league and should have given the cup a proper go. 

• Like 4

absolutely raging with that, our only meaningful game left this season. Honestly thought Ralph was better than that. Easy to make some money on West Ham but would rather we had some success. Respect to Davey Moyes though, all to play for on three fronts and puts out a strong side

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is far worse than the Sunderland team Poch played:

Kelvin, Clyne-Hooiveld-Yoshida-Shaw, Wanyama-JWP, Davis-Lallana-Guly, Lambert

Only Morgan, Cork, Fonte, J-Rod were rested/on bench) - arguably 4 players.

Ralph today has made 9 changes to the team tonight and even Redmond is still on the bench. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Wow. That's... a collection of footballers.

If Jack Stephens and Yan Valery can keep out a big, physical team who score a lot from set pieces, I'll eat my hat (provided it's made of cheese or something).

There's literally no headers in that line up.

Good luck, chaps. Stranger things have happened, I guess...

Exactly my thought he’s taken out the (salisu, bednarek, Romeu, Adams & Broja) who i’d Argue are our better aerial players against a really physical team that’s good at set pieces. 

4 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

absolutely raging with that, our only meaningful game left this season. Honestly thought Ralph was better than that. Easy to make some money on West Ham but would rather we had some success. Respect to Davey Moyes though, all to play for on three fronts and puts out a strong side

I rarely bet against Saints but have just stuck a small wager on WH.  Compensation.

edit:  I nearly always lose my bets, I should add...

Edited by Manuel

I don’t care if I get proved wrong. That team is a joke, 9 changes, a right back playing centre back, Smallbone and Djenepo. After all that goodwill built up too. 
fantastic chance to win something, nah let’s try and get 8th place and another million instead (which is still unlikely). 
People wonder why some call us a nothing club…

• Like 2

Weakened, but we can still win. West Ham were lucky to get through the last round, but its disappointing we have not gone with our full strength side. We are on such a fine run and in the form we are in, I think winning the thing is not beyond us. I fancied us against anyone. I don't fancy this side, but maybe come the later rounds, resting a few players now will pay off.

Is Salisu injured or completely rested?  

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

Bloody hell Ralph... What are you playing at?!

20220302_183207.jpg

Madness and so not necessary. This will be very difficult now. Not sure what Ralph is thinking. Hope this team wins for him but not confident.

1 minute ago, Hodgey said:

I don’t care if I get proved wrong. That team is a joke, 9 changes, a right back playing centre back, Smallbone and Djenepo. After all that goodwill built up too. 
fantastic chance to win something, nah let’s try and get 8th place and another million instead (which is still unlikely). 
People wonder why some call us a nothing club…

For all the years in the top flight, we have still only won one trophy. Would be nice to make it two. You never get a better chance than when you are playing in the top flight (and the quality of player that brings) and playing well and with confidence too.

• Like 2

I still haven’t got over Sunderland away in 2014 and this is nearly as bad (not quite though as most of the ‘big’ teams had been knocked out).

FFS we have won 1 major trophy in our history. 

• Like 2

Bloomin' Eck! That reaction, by the way, is at the over-reaction of some of you. It's a weaker team than I'd have liked, but I can't quite manage the pearl-clutching hysteria of some of you. 

I'm pleased that one Armstrong is rested and the other gets a chance. Not much point having a squad if you don't use it, and certainly they need first team minutes to help them, so when they are called on from necessity they are ready.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Chez said:

For all the years in the top flight, we have still only won one trophy. Would be nice to make it two. You never get a better chance than when you are playing in the top flight (and the quality of player that brings) and playing well and with confidence too.

This is my frustration.  We are on form and are not taking advantage of it.  

1 minute ago, suewhistle said:

Bloomin' Eck! That reaction, by the way, is at the over-reaction of some of you. It's a weaker team than I'd have liked, but I can't quite manage the pearl-clutching hysteria of some of you. 

I'm pleased that one Armstrong is rested and the other gets a chance. Not much point having a squad if you don't use it, and certainly they need first team minutes to help them, so when they are called on from necessity they are ready.

But the changes make us weaker! How can Ralph justify that? 

• Like 1

Should have kept a stronger side to keep the momentum and confidence going. IF we lose badly tonight it could knock our confidence and that will hang over for several games in the future. We have had 5 days to recover since Norwich match maybe 3 changes for 'vulnerable' players ahead of the Villa match but no more.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic