Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Paulwantsapint81

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

They are away games. IIRC there's some me petty FA/PL law that's prohibits teams wearing an away kit an home. 

I wonder what the punishment is for doing so? And would the FA/PL really punish a club for such a gesture given the flack they would get from fans and media alike? If it's just a token fine, rather than losing points (for example) then I'd take it on the chin if I was the club. 

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

The lowest risk would be Stephens, Peraud and Diallo , straight like for like swaps and with Diallo in for Armstrong if he needs a rest. If his strategy is similar to Derby then we won’t get away with it. 

If we have to make a change then I'd probably bring in Redmond if fit, peraud and maybe Long in for Broja to bring on second half. I wouldn't make any other changes to the midfield for sure. 

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

They are away games. IIRC there's some me petty FA/PL law that's prohibits teams wearing an away kit an home. 

I wonder what the punishment is for doing so? And would the FA/PL really punish a club for such a gesture given the flack they would get from fans and media alike? If it's just a token fine, rather than losing points (for example) then I'd take it on the chin if I was the club. 

Edit...

There's no FA law/rule governing this but there is a PL rule...

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/shelter-no-home-kit-football-25788164

25 minutes ago, trousers said:

Apparently the rule has been lifted if a player takes their shirt off for a message regarding Ukraine then they won’t be yellow carded. 

Would be inclined to make just a few changes, nothing major. We've had a day and a half extra rest and West Ham are away to Liverpool on Saturday and Sevilla next week so not sure what team they'll pick with them in mind.

Willy

Tino      Stephens  Salisu    Perraud

Redmond    JWP    Diallo       Moi

Broja     Adams

Didn’t Arsenal wear a plain white kit in the cup a few weeks ago? We did it against Chelsea years ago in the FA Cup too. Don’t know why the FA would take issue to it, they’d be too worried about the fallout if they punished a team for wearing yellow given the current climate. 

Hope Ralph doesn’t make the number of changes he did against Coventry tomorrow night. We were lucky that day they were a weaker opponent, someone like West Ham would have battered us. Still think we’d have enough about us to play a strong XI tomorrow and put in a good shift at Villa on Saturday.

I think there will be a few with priority given to the Villa game. Disappointing for fans but probably financially better for the owners.

Last year Leeds finishing 9th got £135m whereas Palace finishing 14th got £111m. Its not an exact science but 5 places could be worth £25m.

Winning the cup from here would net some £3.2m in prize money, I'm sure a lot more from tickets/merch/sponsorship etc. But even if you double it, its a lot les than 5 league places and we've probably more chance of saving league places than winning the cup.

As a fan though, I'd prioritise the cup as finishing anything between 9th and 17th isn't as exciting as a cup win 

2 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

I think there will be a few with priority given to the Villa game. Disappointing for fans but probably financially better for the owners.

Last year Leeds finishing 9th got £135m whereas Palace finishing 14th got £111m. Its not an exact science but 5 places could be worth £25m.

Winning the cup from here would net some £3.2m in prize money, I'm sure a lot more from tickets/merch/sponsorship etc. But even if you double it, its a lot les than 5 league places and we've probably more chance of saving league places than winning the cup.

As a fan though, I'd prioritise the cup as finishing anything between 9th and 17th isn't as exciting as a cup win 

But the owners don't pick the team. Ralph has a good wage, does he also have a bonus for each position in the league? If not, there's nothing stopping him prioritising the Cup. And it's not like our finishing position is going to change much, barring an almighty collapse it's going to be close to where we are now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

I'll be well hacked off if we make a load of changes and lose.

I'm going to predict 7 changes, these snippets on social media are often clues , Ralph won't have learnt from the Cov game. I'll be disappointed if Valery , Walcott , Long start. 

20220302_082840.jpg

7 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

It's about £2M per place in prize money, the difference you use for Leeds and Palace is also due to television fees that you get each time you're shown, Saints don't tend to get on as much as other sides so over a season that adds up . 

There are other financial benefits to winning the cup than just prize money, we'd get a share of ticket revenue from semi and final, huge surge in merchandise sales and season ticket sales next season and increased profile of the club. 

Realistically the best we can hope for in the league is 8th 

• Like 1

I'm assuming all those demanding the club take the cup seriously won't be the ones sat on the match thread all night tonight (as many of our most critical posters always seem to be whether home or away). There was still around a thousand tickets left last night, 5,000 of the attendance will be cockneys. No doubt some have genuine reasons for not going but some need to put their money where they mouths are and actually go to a game and give their passionate support.

Maybe don't slate the manager if he does make changes if you're not quite so "serious" with the cup yourself.

For the record, if there are changes and we come unstuck, you're more than entitled to have a pop if you were there.

Edited by 100%Red&White
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, 100%Red&White said:

I'm assuming all those demanding the club take the cup seriously won't be the ones sat on the match thread all night tonight (as many of our most critical posters always seem to be whether home or away). There was still around a thousand tickets left last night, 5,000 of the attendance will be cockneys. No doubt some have genuine reasons for not going but some need to put their money where they mouths are and actually go to a game and give their passionate support.

Maybe don't slate the manager if he does make changes if you're not quite so "serious" with the cup yourself.

For the record, if there are changes and we come unstuck, you're more than entitled to have a pop if you were there.

So, putting aside your preaching about how much money other Saints fans should spend on attending games for a moment, what is your own opinion on whether we should be prioritising finishing 8th/9th place in the league or trying our best to win the FA Cup?

I hope this is all a bit of bluff from Ralph and we see as close to first choice as possible tonight.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JRM said:

It's about £2M per place in prize money, the difference you use for Leeds and Palace is also due to television fees that you get each time you're shown, Saints don't tend to get on as much as other sides so over a season that adds up . 

There are other financial benefits to winning the cup than just prize money, we'd get a share of ticket revenue from semi and final, huge surge in merchandise sales and season ticket sales next season and increased profile of the club. 

Agreed.

Also why are people forgetting that by winning the cup you get Europa League which will probably be worth more than the £25m a poster above said?

I think Ralph is bluffing personally, I reckon he will go strong and make 3 changes - Perraud, Redmond and Caballero.

The likes of Djenepo/Adam Armstrong can get their chances when the first XI go on a poor run of form. 

The only call Ralph needs to make though is look at fitness/fatigue and then confirm whether a 75% Broja is better than a 100% Long etc etc

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

So, putting aside your preaching about how much money other Saints fans should spend on attending games for a moment, what is your own opinion on whether we should be prioritising finishing 8th/9th place in the league or trying our best to win the FA Cup?

I hope this is all a bit of bluff from Ralph and we see as close to first choice as possible tonight.

Hardly "preaching". I acknowledged some would have genuine reasons for not going, have a read back. But if someone, who could, can't be bothered to get off their arse while berating others for not taking it seriously then they ain't in a good place to be so vocal. If that's not you, good on ya, ignore it.

Cup now takes precedent for this season for me.

Edited by 100%Red&White

I'm going.  I'm expecting Ralph to put out his strongest possible side.  This may not mean an unchanged team if there are any niggles (I'd be surprised if fatigue is a factor).  I'll be ok if Perraud comes in as that's a marginal call.  Also Diallo for Stuey if there is some concern about his resilience. I'll be grumpy if it looks like rotation for the sake of giving squad members a run out, or prioritising Villa.

I can't engage with the debate about FA Cup versus the League position.  We are currently 2 wins from Wembley, 3 from a final and 4 from glory, Europe, lifetime memories etc etc.  It's a no brainer.  I'd like to see our league momentum keep going, and if we had a realistic chance of getting in the top 4/5 I might feel different.  But as it stands we are going to have to have a cracking last 12 games to get 8th and a phenomenal run to make 7th...and hope teams above us stall.

Can't wait to get down there tonight and try out a padded seat. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Wurzel said:

I thought RH said something along the lines of wanting to but these things not always possible to arrange with the opponents. Not really sure what he meant as it won't clash with any of Wham's 3 kits.

He did say we'd definitely wear it against Villa though.

He did but he said also that the choice of colours for matches was pre-planned (months) ago and so would not have been influenced by recent events in Ukraine. Just a co-incidence even if a happy one.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

I'm going.  I'm expecting Ralph to put out his strongest possible side.  This may not mean an unchanged team if there are any niggles (I'd be surprised if fatigue is a factor).  I'll be ok if Perraud comes in as that's a marginal call.  Also Diallo for Stuey if there is some concern about his resilience. I'll be grumpy if it looks like rotation for the sake of giving squad members a run out, or prioritising Villa.

I can't engage with the debate about FA Cup versus the League position.  We are currently 2 wins from Wembley, 3 from a final and 4 from glory, Europe, lifetime memories etc etc.  It's a no brainer.  I'd like to see our league momentum keep going, and if we had a realistic chance of getting in the top 4/5 I might feel different.  But as it stands we are going to have to have a cracking last 12 games to get 8th and a phenomenal run to make 7th...and hope teams above us stall.

Can't wait to get down there tonight and try out a padded seat. 

Wholesale changes in the starting XI means inevitably a loss of understanding in the team and a breakdown in its automatism. So, if things go badly even though 5 subs are allowed, introducing regular starters at a late stage to try to recapture automatism rarely works as there will not be enough time for the system to reboot and correct itself. 

For this reason if we are serious about winning the FA Cup then we must start with our current winning team. I suspect and hope that WHU will prioritise a top 4 finish and rest a few players but even if they don't we have enough about us to win at home with the proviso that Messrs Broja & Adams do not squander the many chances that come their way as they are prone to do

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

If we want to win the game, we'll stick out our best side.  I wouldn't mind the odd change, i.e. Willy for Forster, Stephens for Bednarek, Perraud for Tino, Redmond for Armstrong if Stuey is struggling with 3 games in a week. but I will be pissed off if we start with Long, Walcott, Valery, Armstrong, etc.

I understand we need to rotate a few, but they are a very good side with better depth than us.  If we rotate too much they'll win, and it will be a rubbish evening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I understand we need to rotate a few, but they are a very good side with better depth than us.  If we rotate too much they'll win, and it will be a rubbish evening.

Yes, I understand we need to rotate players at some point, I just don't agree with the presumption that seems to exist now that this rotation needs to happen in cup games, irrespective of what the position is in the league.

Hopefully we're all worrying unnecessarily and Ralph will pick a strong starting line up with just the odd change if absolutely necessary.

Saw Ralph asked at the Press Conference if the team could play in its yellow and blue strip, the colours of the Ukrainian flag.  He seemed unsure it would be within League rules.  Does anyone know if this has been clarified?

Compared to what's happening to the Ukrainian people, being fined for wearing the wrong kit, or even losing points, would be no price at all.  The club should do it regardless of any punishment.  If the league imposed a punishment the adverse publicity would be well worth it.  Hopefully, a sensible decision has been taken.  

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

If we want to win the game, we'll stick out our best side.  I wouldn't mind the odd change, i.e. Willy for Forster, Stephens for Bednarek, Perraud for Tino, Redmond for Armstrong if Stuey is struggling with 3 games in a week. but I will be pissed off if we start with Long, Walcott, Valery, Armstrong, etc.

Completely agree. I'd be fine with those four changes but nothing else.

13 minutes ago, Professor said:

Saw Ralph asked at the Press Conference if the team could play in its yellow and blue strip, the colours of the Ukrainian flag.  He seemed unsure it would be within League rules.  Does anyone know if this has been clarified?

Compared to what's happening to the Ukrainian people, being fined for wearing the wrong kit, or even losing points, would be no price at all.  The club should do it regardless of any punishment.  If the league imposed a punishment the adverse publicity would be well worth it.  Hopefully, a sensible decision has been taken.  

I posted this yesterday...

Screenshot_20220302-135900-851.png

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/shelter-no-home-kit-football-25788164

Edited by trousers

16 minutes ago, manji said:

I can’t see any evidence that the game is on tonight at all. Thanks for the suggestions and will be happy to be proved wrong.

It was repeatably mentioned during the Midd v Spuds game last night, it on the iPlayer red button.

I'm working tonight so will be watching on an ipad mini. Elated. 🙄

Rotation is fine if done well, not like at Coventry. You can drop Fraser for Willy (if fit), Tino for Perraud, Bednarek for Stephens, Moi for, say, Redmond without a big drop in quality. Maybe even Broja for someone else if he needs a rest.

It also depends on how serious West Ham take it.

Oh and the game is on iPlayer and BBC Red Button. 

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nta786 said:

Agreed.

Also why are people forgetting that by winning the cup you get Europa League which will probably be worth more than the £25m a poster above said?

I think Ralph is bluffing personally, I reckon he will go strong and make 3 changes - Perraud, Redmond and Caballero.

The likes of Djenepo/Adam Armstrong can get their chances when the first XI go on a poor run of form. 

The only call Ralph needs to make though is look at fitness/fatigue and then confirm whether a 75% Broja is better than a 100% Long etc etc

Europe league brings in next to nothing in revenue. Also flying around Europe in first class for 30 plus people as its own expenses. I've heard from many chairman that you don't make any money from the competition intill you get to semis and finals

6 hours ago, JRM said:

hrayy we're on Telly tonight.

12 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Europe league brings in next to nothing in revenue. Also flying around Europe in first class for 30 plus people as its own expenses. I've heard from many chairman that you don't make any money from the competition intill you get to semis and finals

I think your right, you also have to assemble a bloated squad and keep them all happy. I'd still love us to be involved in a European competition, but this season I'll be content just to see us win the FA cup. 

56 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Talking of wearing a different kit, does anyone know why we played in white shirts v Cov in the last round?

Was a limited edition kit to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Saints Foundation

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I think your right, you also have to assemble a bloated squad and keep them all happy. I'd still love us to be involved in a European competition, but this season I'll be content just to see us win the FA cup. 

Which would lead to Europe though? 😆

Heck I'd love to be a Europa League club every year but get that for a club our size it won't happen.

57 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Just my opinion but I don't think that's the point.  We don't take part in Europe to make money.  It's a recognition of the club's progress.  It's a chance for bright European nights at home and trips to places we would never otherwise go.  It's about playing against new teams with different styles.  It's about the buzz.  It's about growing the fan base and attracting better players.  It's about giving the players we've got a growth challenge.  It's about all of these things more than it's about profit and loss.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, nta786 said:

😆

Heck I'd love to be a Europa League club every year but get that for a club our size it won't happen.

I might be in a minority of 1 here, but for me, part of the joy of supporting Saints is that we're not in the Europa League every year.  Makes it so special when we do qualify; otherwise it would IMO just become boring.  There wouldn't have been 8-9K in the San Siro, 3.5K in Arnheim etc if Europe was a regular thing.

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

Which would lead to Europe though? 😆

I was only talking this season, I’d find winning the FA cup this year and the Europa next acceptable also!

As much as I want Ralph to start with our best line-up, squad rotation for this game is more a relative debate than a finite one. It's quite possible that Moyes has a bigger eye on their upcoming game at Anfield than we have on ours at Villa Park. Rotating doesn't help our chances but might not hurt them too much, either. That said, I was hopping mad at the starting lineup for Coventry, and will be today if he does anything remotely like that. I don't think he will.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic