Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Paulwantsapint81

1 hour ago, CanadaSaint said:

By “still ongoing” I assume you meant that you’re still not a dad yet. Hang in there. Our first arrived as a result of my wife laughing so hard that her waters broke. She was laying on the sofa when our dog went up to the TV screen to investigate a program about dogs. He got a static shock from the screen, thought he’d been bitten, and ran behind the sofa yelping. 😂

So get her laughing.

Our first born finally arrived late as a result of some rough sex, so yep, I can also vouch that getting her to laugh works well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Well played to the players out there. But struggling to get too excited when it's been made so clear how little we prioritise the cup. You'll scrape through with a weakened team sometimes, that's cup football. I just wish we'd show the fans and the competition a lot more respect. 

We have nothing else to play for, it was our biggest game of the season, yet we rested 9 players. If you're fine with that because we got through, are you fine with it next round too? Will the anger at it only come out once we lose? Are you fine if we play a weakened team in a semi final? A final?

Credit to the players, couple of great goals too. But really apprehensive about his selections for the next round. 

Agree with this, I don't understand why experimental teams always have to be in the cup. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

On the contrary, I think Broja is more likely to stay after that goal. It's more obvious than ever our pressing game suits him and if he keeps it up he's going to the Euros.

Stephens (who seems more and more important as a "club man" with every performance) had his arm around him at the end and was pointing animatedly downwards towards the pitch. Maybe wishful thinking but I interpreted it as "this is where you belong now, you have to stay"

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree with this, I don't understand why experimental teams always have to be in the cup. 

Agree.

If the consensus now is that last nights team was a tactical masterstroke then he could have selected them for Saturday's game against Villa because they are so good and our squad is so strong now, that there's no risk. They would win because Villa are worse than WHU.

But by some amazing coincidence he just happened to chose last night to prove how strong his squad is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, santolijador said:

How was Willy?

A bit limp for their goal, and there were a couple of balls he just swung at, but he stood firm a few times and dealt with a money shot quite well when required.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Brilliant atmosphere, great performance and a Benny Hill style pitch invasion.  What’s not to like?

On the pitch, thought they all did well, although I would like to see Smallbone impose himself a bit more.  Thought he was being carried a bit at times.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Professor said:

As a proud Francophile it was so good to see two French players in our back four last night. Brilliant performances from Yan and Romain. 

Perraud is looking like an excellent signing now, quality left back with a goal threat , top player. 

• Like 3

Something was up with Djnepo last night... he didn't look rusty at all, he looked like he'd never played a game of football in his life before, normally he'd try taking on players, but every time he got the ball even in a forward position he'd just pass the ball straight away, this and 90% of his passes seemed to be overhit or misplaced completely something very odd was going on....

• Like 5

Well that was fun - 

I didn’t quite catch the W Ham line up over the PA while on the concourse, our line up my initial thought was oh no Salisu - but hearing the firepower on the bench knowing we have 5 subs was a bit “oh okay - we have somewhere to go to if necessary. 
The opening few minutes there was a thought of this could just be one of those nights, where we get the crap game out of our system and move on as the link up play was nowhere as liquid as it has been in recent games: plus West Ham being no slouches were looking like wanting to get the tie done and dusted.

We slowly just started to tick, Djenepo aside, then Perraud seem to think lets stop messing about and lit the blue touch-paper. Wow what strike - 2 absolute rockets in the space of a few days we are truly being spoilt. Seemed a popular scorer too in the stadium, away from a few numpties on these pages, sensible people see him for what he is - a damn good workhorse without any razzmatazz.

From there on it looked pretty comfortable, good subs at half time, shame for Long as he did take some hits, mainly knees in the back that Marriner decided not to see, one blatant enough it was amazing the Lino wasn’t in his ear. In real time the penalty was more a case of Broja dithered waiting for the hit rather than firing it off, but fair play to him in getting right in the refs ear. 
As the clock ran down West Ham almost looked relieved that they had one possibly 2-3 games less games to play this season. 
Well done chaps

Oh mention for Valery, what a conundrum the lad is, there are times where he looks like an accident waiting to happen, then games like last night where he looks very comfortable and un phased “been doing this for years”

Cat songs over the PA at half time was quite amusing. 

Edited by John Boy Saint

My ratings as had to watch on TV  due to illness

Cabillero       6.5     Brilliant save near the end made up for his error for the goal
KWP              6.0     An average game for one of my favourite players
Peraud          8.5     He is really coming into his own now and his goal was spectacular
JWP              8.5     What can I say about this human dynamo. Just one misplaced pass in the whole game
Stephens      8.0      Possibly an 8.5. An imperious display at the back. Well done Jack.
Valery           7.5       Exceeded my expectations.
Diallo            6.5      An in and out game but overall a reasonable performance
Smallbone    7.0      Decent performance. Seems to be improving and hopefully one for the future.
Long             6.0      Typical Longy. Plenty of effort but not much more.
Adam A         7.0      Plenty of energy but not much goal threat and shanked the one half reasonable chance he had.
Djnepo          5.5      Looked rusty/out of his depth but give him credit for some decent defensive work

Livremento    6.0    Did Ok when he came on.
Adam S          7.0    As usual impressed with his energy.
Redmond       7.0    Thought he did well when he came on and nearly scored a worldly.
Broja               8.0    Probably worth more but only played a bit part but an Oscar winning performance.
Oriel               6.0     A bit part but a majestic bit part.

5 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

By “still ongoing” I assume you meant that you’re still not a dad yet. Hang in there. Our first arrived as a result of my wife laughing so hard that her waters broke. She was laying on the sofa when our dog went up to the TV screen to investigate a program about dogs. He got a static shock from the screen, thought he’d been bitten, and ran behind the sofa yelping. 😂

So get her laughing. Maybe show her Djenepo’s cameo from today.

Good luck. The arrival of our first was the most incredible moment of my life, a whisker ahead of the arrival of our second, and - just behind that - May 1, 1976. 

There is another method but you need to get here in the mood 😀😀😀

Edited by macca155

1 hour ago, Joey-deacons-left-nut said:

Something was up with Djnepo last night... he didn't look rusty at all, he looked like he'd never played a game of football in his life before, normally he'd try taking on players, but every time he got the ball even in a forward position he'd just pass the ball straight away, this and 90% of his passes seemed to be overhit or misplaced completely something very odd was going on....

A couple of years ago a mate of mine observed during the game that Djenepo plays like he's not sure which end we're attacking, I thought it was a good way to describe him! Genuinely not sure if he looks where he's going 

• Like 2

A couple of points in terms of performance last night. Like many others I want us to go all out to win the cup this season so seeing the line up was a worry, however what transpired was a remarkable team effort both in terms of unity and energy, and this is what wore West Ham down.  Earlier this season West Ham would have bullied Saints out of this match, last night they were frustrated and should have lost three or four nil.  Watching Adam Armstrong, the poor sod needs games, was off the pace and a foot too short in terms of out-jumping the West Ham defence but giving it 110%, like a red and white duracell bunny.  If you watch videos of the old McMenemy sides when we was fab in the 80s (the Big Match on ITV HUb is good for this) what hits you, despite the vintage, is the unity and energy - Steve Williams said as much in the interview posted on here a few weeks ago.  There was a relentlessness and lack of respect about those brilliant teams, a bit of a swagger, a fuck you attitude, and incredibly we are seeing that right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joey-deacons-left-nut said:

Something was up: he's rubbish.

Hasn't improved one iota as a footballer in three years. He's a bit better defensively, but has managed to get worse offensively, so it pretty much balances out.

Only a year left on his contract in the summer. I think we'd be mad to offer him an extension, so I'd expect him to be moved on. Seems a nice lad, but the wild swings between extremely rare wonder goals and more frequent headless chicken meandering with his boots on the wrong feet aren't worth persevering with imho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joey-deacons-left-nut said:

Probably spent too much time watching Theo on the training pitch.....

• Sad 1

Definitely a slice of humble pie for me last night, wasn’t happy with the lineup at all but we played it perfectly. 

A couple of negatives, thought Diallo really struggled and Djenepo just isn’t good enough, he’ll be off in the summer I think. 

8 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

On the contrary, I think Broja is more likely to stay after that goal. It's more obvious than ever our pressing game suits him and if he keeps it up he's going to the Euros.

I do hope you're right and I love your positive thinking 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Brilliant atmosphere, great performance and a Benny Hill style pitch invasion.  What’s not to like?

On the pitch, thought they all did well, although I would like to see Smallbone impose himself a bit more.  Thought he was being carried a bit at times.

I thought he demonstrated all the usual traits of a player who has not played much recently. Allowances have to be made for lack of match fitness. For what it's worth, I felt there is a real player there, and a couple of balls he played showed that his 'football brain' is workijng well. Just as it was last season, before he picked up a nasty injury.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Professor said:

As a proud Francophile it was so good to see two French players in our back four last night. Brilliant performances from Yan and Romain. 

The first step is admitting your problem, I'm sure all those French people feel safer now

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Definitely a slice of humble pie for me last night, wasn’t happy with the lineup at all but we played it perfectly. 

A couple of negatives, thought Diallo really struggled and Djenepo just isn’t good enough, he’ll be off in the summer I think. 

Me too! I gave Ralph some very good advice not to change his winning team and it's gratifying to know that he heeded that advice...

😳

To be fair to Diallo, he is not a DMF so it took him a little time to settle. Pleased that Ralph kept him on for the full 90.  Djenepo has never impressed me from Day 1, okay he's had his moments but far too few of them. Expectations were high when he came in as one of the first of Ralph's picks but even our great leader cannot be expected to get everything right.

Is it just me or did others feel that we never looked like losing last night? Weird, especially against a strong Hammers team. 

22 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Is it just me or did others feel that we never looked like losing last night? Weird, especially against a strong Hammers team. 

I'll be honest, I felt like we would lose after the first 20 minutes. WHU had two good chances I think and perhaps on another day they could have taken them.

However, our wondergoal changed everything, shifted momentum to us and then even at 1-1 when Antonio scored I wasn't as worried as I knew we had 5 subs with which we could make an impact.

I think first goal was crucial, and WHU fans may feel similar too. 

23 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

not in the first 20 minutes. They cut us to ribbons and should really have scored twice.  We got better, the goal settled us down and placed less onus on us to crate a chance.  I think West Ham got progressively worse, although they did seem to dominate possession - they didn't do much with it. Once we went ahead, it felt pretty comfortable.

it was one of those games where things could easily have been different, but we got the first goal, we got the pen and we killed the game off. I am not sure I was all that impressed by our display, but for a makeshift side we did well. We will play much better and lose.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I'll be honest, I felt like we would lose after the first 20 minutes. WHU had two good chances I think and perhaps on another day they could have taken them.

However, our wondergoal changed everything, shifted momentum to us and then even at 1-1 when Antonio scored I wasn't as worried as I knew we had 5 subs with which we could make an impact.

I think first goal was crucial, and WHU fans may feel similar too. 

I felt the same. We weren’t playing our usual slick controlled football and were resorting to hoofing the ball up the pitch or into the crowd at times. That wonder goal changed the whole complexion.

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Agree.

If the consensus now is that last nights team was a tactical masterstroke then he could have selected them for Saturday's game against Villa because they are so good and our squad is so strong now, that there's no risk. They would win because Villa are worse than WHU.

But by some amazing coincidence he just happened to chose last night to prove how strong his squad is.

Dont think it was a tactical masterstroke, as we once again struggled to be a cohesive unit in the early stages of a game that we gave a few good early opportunities away.

Hey imo we should put out the very best we have, stop fucking around with experimental set ups ,lets face it we all want a winning cup team dont we?,if we get beaten

then so be it  we gave it a shot or not in the semi against the Foxes but stranger things happen.

• Like 1

I was confused by the whole experience.  

1.  Was perplexed by the selection, in a state of mystification more than anger
2.  I took the missus, who is West Ham.
3.  I was sat in a padded seat for the first time.  Great view, but the seat was longer so not enough leg room
4.  We started so poorly that I feared the worst
5.  We got better but I was already clock watching at 21 minutes
6.  We were right behind Perraud on the perfect angle for the thunderbastard (thanks Billy for the phrase)
7.  At half time when Stu and Broja came on I knew we'd win
8.  For a while we were actually worse
9.  We all knew they'd score from a corner, given their strengths and our weaknesses
10.  I never thought VAR would overturn the penalty
11.  We got better and better, they got worse and worse

It was a brilliant night but I'm left wondering now how I feel about the selection.  I really liked Ralph's reason, much better than the ones I had imagined.  On the other hand, it's a dangerous game to play in what was a massive opportunity for us.  So for next round I hope he can find the spirit of his squad-based faith but also play some more of our better players.  I'll leave him to work out the finer details of what that means. 

Edited by The Left Back
  • Like 1

Thought that the West Ham fans were very disappointing - was expecting a cauldron of noise from their 5.5k.  I know we are not blessed with a plethora of songs, but apart from the usual 'Blowing Bubbles' they showed no real excitement - i guess they mirrored their team!  Coventry with the same number of fans were far more impressive

Was a bit surprised the stewards / police did nothing about the West Ham fans lobbing ripped up seats into Kingsland North last night, especially when one hit a steward in the head. 

The police instead decided to come and film Saints fans along the divide. 

Edited by DJ_TOAST

1 minute ago, DJ_TOAST said:

Was a bit surprised the stewards / police did nothing about the West Ham fans lobbing ripped up seats into Kingsland North last night, especially when one hit a steward in the head. 

The police instead decided to come and film Saints along the divide. 

Classic Saints that, bit of mild panic, we need to do something...I know get the camera and film the people the seats were being chucked at. 

Few new seats will be needed in Block 41. 

West Ham lot didn't look at all pleased at the end, lovely to see 

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

Don't tell me he logged on here to read the pre match comments. 

If you're reading this Ralph let's go full strength in the cup for now on, cheers 👍

Probably twatter but you never know. Though his comments were good actually and it was either last night or sat that he was going to ring the changes. The physical state of the team following the game against Norwich made the decision for him. I think we forget that to play this type of football takes its toll (unless you are JWP).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

This - Love Saints! 

"Making nine changes doesn't mean that we're not looking for this cup," Hasenhuttl told BBC Sport. "It's a super opportunity for us. But we shouldn't forget these players have brought us here.

"You can't speak about having a big squad and trusting everyone and not show the right signals. It was hard for them in the beginning with no rhythm playing in front of 28,000 fans."

Well done Ralf, played a great squad game, put in the players that have got us to this point, then added the inform first teamers to increase pressure.

I realize you will not and cannot play your best 11 for rest of the season,  including the FA, all 25 need to be included and participate in this team, moving forward as a group. You have brought out of form players and some that fans never would be in a Saint shirt again, and made them better players. You see far more merit in the on the fridge players than alot of our fans do. You see the big picture,  not just a glory hunter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Classic Saints that, bit of mild panic, we need to do something...I know get the camera and film the people the seats were being chucked at. 

Few new seats will be needed in Block 41. 

West Ham lot didn't look at all pleased at the end, lovely to see 

They were not a happy bunch. Several through cones at some gobby Saints fans outside by the divide on Brittannia Road and then a couple took a beating when the West Ham fans broke through the barries and police line. 

I guess a coiple of Saints fans learnt a lesson last night. 

18 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

I’m having a really weird feeling I’ve literally NEVER had before - and that covers more than half a century.

I don’t care who we get in the next round.

Forest? ... better not experiment wi; them.

The commentary on Red button kept saying as though they expected Hammers to take control of the match soon. After the first 15 minutes they never did.

30 minutes ago, Tank said:

The commentary on Red button kept saying as though they expected Hammers to take control of the match soon. After the first 15 minutes they never did.

I spent the whole game waiting for West Ham to step up and take over. I came away almost in disbelief that we had somehow won 3-1. I never felt that we were in total control but maybe that’s just me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Well done Ralf, played a great squad game, put in the players that have got us to this point, then added the inform first teamers to increase pressure.

I realize you will not and cannot play your best 11 for rest of the season,  including the FA, all 25 need to be included and participate in this team, moving forward as a group. You have brought out of form players and some that fans never would be in a Saint shirt again, and made them better players. You see far more merit in the on the fridge players than alot of our fans do. You see the big picture,  not just a glory hunter.

May I suggest that he takes a look at the bigger picture in some of our league games, as opposed to what will hopefully be three precious opportunities to duplicate our 1976 success.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Yep and last. Still ongoing 😅😷

Good to log on quickly and see a great win. Great vibe at the club at the moment. We check out the highlights tomorrow.

Good Luck Skintsaint. I guess you will be naming the baby, Ralph JWP Le Tiss Channon, (Surname)..........on the other hand, if it's a boy..........😀

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Agree.

This is where I’m at with it too.

Yes, players need chances, but as you say it’s far too convenient to say it’s just general rotation when we made 9 changes.

I don’t want to criticise Ralph, he’s doing a stunning job considerations the limitations he’s working under. But come on, let’s not just say this was a standard selection of a team, it was clearly affected by it being an FA Cup tie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Good Luck Skintsaint. I guess you will be naming the baby, Ralph JWP Le Tiss Channon, (Surname)..........on the other hand, if it's a boy..........😀

Both mum and boy well. Absolute mental day. Saints future no7 in the bag . 😇😇🥳🥳 no surprise to see the top sides draw each other next round.

• Like 15

Just now, skintsaint said:

Both mum and boy well. Absolute mental day. Saints future no7 in the bag . 😇😇🥳🥳 no surprise to see the top sides draw each other next round.

Congrats. Best wishes to you, Mrs Skintsaint and the lad. 

• Like 1