Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Paulwantsapint81

Not sure why people were so put out by the team we selected, we've got a well coached squad nowadays with good depth in most places. That means that our level never drops too much which is huge credit to everyone.

I didn't think we played badly at all, even first half. It was a bit frantic to start with but once it settled down it suited us, as we had more time on the ball to probe and that's where Perraud popped up - he's been threatening that in recent weeks.

Second half we had a little bit of a WHU barrage, not huge...just a little we had to withstand, they got 1-1 from a really crappy bit of a goalkeeping but we didn't let that hit us and we took it to them again. Cracking impact Broja had, changed the game in respect of his pace and control. The third goal was a worldie by him.

Onto a couple of negatives - I think tonight was a game too far for Long, he can't really cause a threat against experienced PL defenders nowadays. Moussa...I hope he goes in the summer and we invest in someone decent who can actually contribute on the pitch, he's absolutely hopeless. No amount of Ralph coaching can improve him now. Game is up.

Lots and lots of positives though, my MOTM was Valery as he's not a CB but he looked assured back there. Stepping out well, reading danger well, recovering with his pace well etc. Granted, WHU only had Antiono isolated but he still did a job against him. Not sure he'd do well in an aerial bombardment, but he's certainly capable in games like this. Jack helped him massively though. 

Perraud gets better and better, settled in now and is a proper full back. Adam Armstrong, for his limitations, put in a cracking shift. Really stretched them and his pace caused them all sorts of problems, he just lacks a certain edge to his game though. Not sure if that's confidence or not though.

The way the quarters will potentially line up is very daunting, let's hope for a tie at home against whoever. If we're away at Liverpool or City it will all feel like a total waste of our time.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Fair play Valery great game he was getting stuck In to Antonio at times read it very well.

Diallo and Moussa really rusty great subs Ralph.

Giving them the whole Northam, 9 changes I was shocked we didn’t supply a bubble machine in the Northam!!

please a friendly draw tomorrow!

Edited by Give it to Ron

3 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Well played to the players out there. But struggling to get too excited when it's been made so clear how little we prioritise the cup. You'll scrape through with a weakened team sometimes, that's cup football. I just wish we'd show the fans and the competition a lot more respect. 

We have nothing else to play for, it was our biggest game of the season, yet we rested 9 players. If you're fine with that because we got through, are you fine with it next round too? Will the anger at it only come out once we lose? Are you fine if we play a weakened team in a semi final? A final?

Credit to the players, couple of great goals too. But really apprehensive about his selections for the next round. 

Why are you still moaning about our starting 11 for the game? We won it, the starting 11 is now irrelevant and the manager was proven right. Just as he was against Coventry, which brought similar reactions.

I also wouldn't class today as scraping through, it was fairly comfortable all told.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep already held my hands up. Never been happier to be wrong. 

just seen - went from reading page 1-3 to 20

:toppa:

cant lie - i was also raging about the line up and got it wrong tbh

Edited by le_tiss
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Amazing result considering the relative strength of both teams put out, Ralph is a genius!

Good performances all round but it's about time Valery started getting the respect he deserves from the fanbase, he's proving to be a very competent CB option. Tonight has shown the big difference from last season, we don't just have a team we have a squad. And the way we're playing we might just have a crack at doing something special in the cup?

We're not hanging onto Broja are we...

Erm.........no. I wouldn't have thought so. That's the thought that ran thru my head about 5 seconds after he scored.

23 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

This - Love Saints! 

"Making nine changes doesn't mean that we're not looking for this cup," Hasenhuttl told BBC Sport. "It's a super opportunity for us. But we shouldn't forget these players have brought us here.

"You can't speak about having a big squad and trusting everyone and not show the right signals. It was hard for them in the beginning with no rhythm playing in front of 28,000 fans."

Not forgetting the players that got us here is one thing, but I hope to god that doesn't mean he'd start with a similar line up in the final.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Why are you still moaning about our starting 11 for the game? We won it, the starting 11 is now irrelevant and the manager was proven right. Just as he was against Coventry, which brought similar reactions.

I also wouldn't class today as scraping through, it was fairly comfortable all told.

I know what you're saying, but the starting XI isn't irrelevant, and today they stepped up. Big time.

They got us to half time 1-0 up against the first team of a currently top 5 club. 

Will Smallbone didn't look out of of place against Declan Rice. That's very good news for us, I think.

24 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Expected a few changes, not 9 changes though. Fair play to Ralph. He put huge faith in his squad and they delivered. West Ham were poor and needed a gift from Willy to get back into it, but we've had their number this season which has been great to watch.

I have been one of the biggest critics of Valery on here, but he was excellent tonight. Maybe there is a future for him at CB. Stephens was very good too, both kept Antonio and Bowen quiet. Perraud continues to impress and has been threatening a goal like that all season. He has a very bright future with us. 

Seen alot of criticism of Diallo. Yes he was sloppy at times, but he kept demanding the ball and put himself about quite well. Its hard to come in and face arguably the best CM in the PL right now. AA you can tell he is low on confidence (not helped by what Broja comes on and does) but he made some great runs and got into good positions. Hopefully it will come for him soon, although his gametime will be limited being 4th choice right now (unless Long is injured).

Middlesboro, Palace or Boreham Wood next round please. Although would take anybody at home right now

I'd take Huddersfield or Notts Forest as well.

Just now, VictiAbNonem said:

I know what you're saying, but the starting XI isn't irrelevant, and today they stepped up. Big time.

They got us to half time 1-0 up against the first team of a currently top 5 club. 

Will Smallbone didn't look out of of place against Declan Rice. That's very good news for us, I think.

I probably worded it badly, but I meant 'discussing the starting 11/moaning about it' is irrelevant now.

17 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Expected a few changes, not 9 changes though. Fair play to Ralph. He put huge faith in his squad and they delivered. West Ham were poor and needed a gift from Willy to get back into it, but we've had their number this season which has been great to watch.

I have been one of the biggest critics of Valery on here, but he was excellent tonight. Maybe there is a future for him at CB. Stephens was very good too, both kept Antonio and Bowen quiet. Perraud continues to impress and has been threatening a goal like that all season. He has a very bright future with us. 

Seen alot of criticism of Diallo. Yes he was sloppy at times, but he kept demanding the ball and put himself about quite well. Its hard to come in and face arguably the best CM in the PL right now. AA you can tell he is low on confidence (not helped by what Broja comes on and does) but he made some great runs and got into good positions. Hopefully it will come for him soon, although his gametime will be limited being 4th choice right now (unless Long is injured).

Middlesboro, Palace or Boreham Wood next round please. Although would take anybody at home right now

When you say best cm in the pl I assume you mean rice? In my opinion one of the most overrated players I've ever seen. He's a carthorse can't understand why he's anywhere near England starting 11. Was gutted romeu didn't start tonight as he would have made him look an absolute fool. Rice and Phillips were getting hyped up during euros for England but for me they are the reason we didn't win it. Bang average 

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It is something to worry about slightly. Would we rotate that heavily if we were playing City, Liverpool, Chelsea? What level of opposition does Ralph think justifies full strength? 

17 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Well played to the players out there. But struggling to get too excited when it's been made so clear how little we prioritise the cup. You'll scrape through with a weakened team sometimes, that's cup football. I just wish we'd show the fans and the competition a lot more respect. 

We have nothing else to play for, it was our biggest game of the season, yet we rested 9 players. If you're fine with that because we got through, are you fine with it next round too? Will the anger at it only come out once we lose? Are you fine if we play a weakened team in a semi final? A final?

Credit to the players, couple of great goals too. But really apprehensive about his selections for the next round. 

Christ I’d hate to be you.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure why people were so put out by the team we selected, we've got a well coached squad nowadays with good depth in most places. That means that our level never drops too much which is huge credit to everyone.

I didn't think we played badly at all, even first half. It was a bit frantic to start with but once it settled down it suited us, as we had more time on the ball to probe and that's where Perraud popped up - he's been threatening that in recent weeks.

Second half we had a little bit of a WHU barrage, not huge...just a little we had to withstand, they got 1-1 from a really crappy bit of a goalkeeping but we didn't let that hit us and we took it to them again. Cracking impact Broja had, changed the game in respect of his pace and control. The third goal was a worldie by him.

Onto a couple of negatives - I think tonight was a game too far for Long, he can't really cause a threat against experienced PL defenders nowadays. Moussa...I hope he goes in the summer and we invest in someone decent who can actually contribute on the pitch, he's absolutely hopeless. No amount of Ralph coaching can improve him now. Game is up.

Lots and lots of positives though, my MOTM was Valery as he's not a CB but he looked assured back there. Stepping out well, reading danger well, recovering with his pace well etc. Granted, WHU only had Antiono isolated but he still did a job against him. Not sure he'd do well in an aerial bombardment, but he's certainly capable in games like this. Jack helped him massively though. 

Perraud gets better and better, settled in now and is a proper full back. Adam Armstrong, for his limitations, put in a cracking shift. Really stretched them and his pace caused them all sorts of problems, he just lacks a certain edge to his game though. Not sure if that's confidence or not though.

The way the quarters will potentially line up is very daunting, let's hope for a tie at home against whoever. If we're away at Liverpool or City it will all feel like a total waste of our time.

I must beg to differ as I think Valery is very much a centre back. He's played there a few times now and generally looked very accomplished. It's when he plays as a full back that he turns into a liability.

Just now, Teddeer said:

I must beg to differ as I think Valery is very much a centre back. He's played there a few times now and generally looked very accomplished. It's when he plays as a full back that he turns into a liability.

Totally agree, he is definitely a CB now and turning into a very good one. He's essentially 5th choice and you can't ask for much better that far down the pecking order.

Just back and enjoying a cuppa after an entertaining evening. I hope all of you who saw the line-up and didn't watch found something useful to do after your attack of the vapours. Washing up or the ironing might have been useful.

A bit disjointed at times, and the debate in my section of the crowd was who was going to replace Djenepo at half time! Some of my ingrained pesssimism when it comes to Saints (or "experience" I like to call it) meant that I feared they'd nick it at the death, but to be honest, for all their experienced, physical team they didn't really create too much. Dawson is a donkey, which helped.

24 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Agree. The quarter finals is the business end so no room for sentiment or resting players. Go with the best available and have a right go because we can beat anyone on our day but not with even one single weak link. It's only fair on the players as this may be their best chance of winning something so don't take that away by being sentimental Ralph. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Agree. The quarter finals is the business end so no room for sentiment or resting players. Go with the best available and have a right go because we can beat anyone on our day but not with even one single weak link. It's only fair on the players as this may be their best chance of winning something so don't take that away by being sentimental Ralph. 

I’m glad the weak links proved themselves capable of stepping up today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Spot on. I do see Ralph being the kind to stick with the ones who got us here though, sadly.

38 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I guess we’d want to avoid Chelsea as Broja won’t be available. Guess we’d want Two or Liverpool, City and Chelsea to draw each other. Outside of that id fancy us against anyone. Winners of Forest or Huddersfield or Boro at home would be nice, beat Palace in the Semi then complete an FA cup final double over Manchester with beating city in the final. 

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’m glad the weak links proved themselves capable of stepping up today.

I totally get that and so am I. The likes of Stephens and Valery stepped up to the plate and I commend them for that. However, quarter finals don't come round too often so I want to see us pick our best eleven and go for it. I seriously believe our best eleven has a chance of winning the FA Cup - we are a really good side. Let's not be left thinking what might have been.. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Right now I reckon we're the third best team in the league.

Obviously we're way behind ManU/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs in player 'quality' and depth. But we're outplaying all of them at the moment. 

And we seem to be improving all the time. 

Not sure about spurs. Take Kane and son out and they're probably bottom 6. I wouldn't take any of the rest of their squad. They have probably the worst right back in the league after selling one of the best to us for peanuts🤣

• Like 1

Enjoyed that tonight, feared a repeat of the poor performance against Coventry when I saw the team but was pleasantly surprised.

Nice to see Ralph making proactive substitutions lately to keep control of the game rather than reactive changes because we’re losing. 

Put a few quid on Redmond to score the next goal when he came on as I fancied him for some reason, was 20/1 and I fucking died when their keeper got a hand to his shot!

Good atmosphere in the ground tonight I thought, their support was pretty crap considering how many they bought down. Did enjoy them singing our support is fucking shit just before Broja slotted in the third and the away end emptied like a fire alarm had gone off.

Looked like it was kicking off outside at Full Time, and what the hell is going all with all these pitch invaders lately,hope the cunts get a long ban. The stewards didn’t even seem arsed to get on the pitch and get after them. 

I hope we avoid Liverpool or City in the draw tomorrow, but you can’t make an omelette without breaking some eggs and we’ll have to play them eventually so if that’s who we get then fuck it, bring it on.

Just to add to my previous comment, but the reason I was reasonably sanguine before the game was due to how much better our squad is than last year. I appreciate that we will need to replace Long and Walcott, but the others coming in didn't look out of place. Diallo gave the ball away a bit but he wasn't hiding, which you sometimes see from players, Smallbone was obviously rusty but has a bit of pace and moves well, AA put the effort in and his contribution was really useful. We know Valery and Stephens are competent even if not first choice, and it's good to see the former back playing after being in the wilderness. The less said about Djenepo the better: my only hope was that he might score a goal as a result of some unexpected play which would bamboozle everyone, including himself.

Great result. Good performance after a shaky start. Onwards.

I still think the team selection was absurd. We went out from about 7/4 to nearly 3/1 to win in 90 mins when the team was announced. Credit to winning against the favourites, but…hmmm…

• Like 1

Also we should have a full weeks rest before the QF right? We have a Sunday game against Watford on the 13th.

Ralph may well have justified tonights team because it was a midweek game but the FA Cup QF is literally the final game before the 2 week international break.

Let’s wait on the draw though how exciting!

We really are building something special - Ralph deserves full credit for rotating the squad tonight :) Perraud's goal was an absolute worldy, wow! And Brojas finish was just sublime :) Prowsey with a beautifully despatched penalty too :) I thought Jack was brilliant tonight, leading and marshaling the backline - my MOTM :) Valery brilliant too, he really is developing into a very good centre back. Adam Armstrong worked his socks off tonight and I was so desperate to see him notch a goal, it will come for him :) Everyone played their part tonight. Looking forward to the draw now - COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 4

Beating decent opposition with pretty much our second string? No worries for this bunch of Saints right now. Brilliant stuff. I'll admit to being worried when I saw the team but fair play to Ralph for knowing better. Shout outs for Stephens & Valery at the back, Broja when he came on, Perraud for the goal of the 5th round and the tannoy guy for playing The Lovecats at half time. 😂 Especially nice to silence those cheeky Cockney chappies again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Yep already held my hands up. Never been happier to be wrong. 

Fair play to you - I think your reaction to the team news was the same as pretty much everyones!  One thing I've learnt with Ralph is to wait and see how it pans out.  Never a dull moment as a Saints fan and the squad confidence and morale must be through the roof!  Great selection problems for Ralph to have!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Fair play to you - I think your reaction to the team news was the same as pretty much everyones!  One thing I've learnt with Ralph is to wait and see how it pans out.  Never a dull moment as a Saints fan and the squad confidence and morale must be through the roof!  Great selection problems for Ralph to have!

Yep! Woke up at 0315hrs here in Perth W.A. saw the team line up, groaned at the inevitable loss, had a pee, and went back to bed. Woke this morning expecting to see a big loss, and was so bloody happy with that result.

More faith needed, methinks.

COYR’s

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Yep and last. Still ongoing 😅😷

Good to log on quickly and see a great win. Great vibe at the club at the moment. We check out the highlights tomorrow.

By “still ongoing” I assume you meant that you’re still not a dad yet. Hang in there. Our first arrived as a result of my wife laughing so hard that her waters broke. She was laying on the sofa when our dog went up to the TV screen to investigate a program about dogs. He got a static shock from the screen, thought he’d been bitten, and ran behind the sofa yelping. 😂

So get her laughing. Maybe show her Djenepo’s cameo from today.

Good luck. The arrival of our first was the most incredible moment of my life, a whisker ahead of the arrival of our second, and - just behind that - May 1, 1976. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

Erm.........no. I wouldn't have thought so. That's the thought that ran thru my head about 5 seconds after he scored.

On the contrary, I think Broja is more likely to stay after that goal. It's more obvious than ever our pressing game suits him and if he keeps it up he's going to the Euros.

• Like 2