Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Paulwantsapint81

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Avoid Liverpool, City or Chelsea in the draw and we've got a real good chance at Wembley. Hope two of them come up against each other as well.

Be interesting to see if he sticks with "the same players who got us here" in the QF or he brings a few back in. Perraud/Stephens/Valery all brilliant. Not so much on Caballero/Diallo/Djenepo/Long.

Two of them won't come up against each other - the hot balls will make certain of that.

• Haha 2

What really pleased me from the off today was that our reserves tried to play exactly the same game as the first team. Sure there were loads more mistakes in the passing, but the pressing was really good, the shape and organisation was identical to the first team. We played really positively throughout, and we got some really good game time into some players we haven't seen enough of.

And we beat West Ham 3-1 with our reserves!

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

Quality from Broja, felt a bit sorry for A. Armstrong in that celebration, look on his face you can tell he's desperate to score. 

He did play a part with the challenge for the ball which dropped to Broja and the rest is history. That is where Broja is at his most dangerous and he'll score a lot of those type goals. Seen him do it a fair few times now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

He did play a part with the challenge for the ball which dropped to Broja and the rest is history. That is where Broja is at his most dangerous and he'll score a lot of those type goals. Seen him do it a fair few times now.

Agree, I don't think Arma had a bad game and hopefully he grows in to it like Adams after his first season, we're in a position now where there's a fair few games for him to find what he's missing, be it in the league or in this cup run we've got going.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wsaint said:

Agree, I don't think Arma had a bad game and hopefully he grows in to it like Adams after his first season, we're in a position now where there's a fair few games for him to find what he's missing, be it in the league or in this cup run we've got going.

I thought he did alright too, his pace is electric, clearly lacks a bit of confidence but caused them a few problems. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Wsaint said:

Yeah, thought AA looked lively tonight and did a lot of good work. Just wish he'd have taken that shot on in the first half instead of trying to find Smallbone. Lots still to come from AA I reckon and he's good to have in the squad.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We’re going to win this!

Only one out of the normal meltdown on the team selection. I nearly commented the same thing, we will win. Maybe a bit of a gamble , but let’s trust the manager to do his job yes? 

• Like 1

Adam Armstrong had two really good chances quite early on, one that he blasted over and the other passed it instead of shooting. I was really worried for him at that point, but I think after that he had a pretty good game without many more chances of his own. He made a lot of clever runs to get the ball in space on the wings, and others to draw defenders away from the action. He worked his ass off doing a lot of pressing, and getting back to help out in midfield.

I think he's he's got a better goal than Romain or Romeu in him. And when he gets it he'll be hard to stop. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

In Ralph's defence - and to totally argue against my own pre-match criticism - we have some players with significant potential that will only be realized if they play more. Valery and Smallbone are great examples. Both of them lack the self-confidence that can really only come with game time, and A. Armstrong is on the same list

I just wasn't ready to see them get the chance in a last-16 FA Cup tie.

Quite so!   I was one of the many critics of Ralph's starting 11 - and for the first 15 minutes it looked very shaky.    From that point most of the "fringe" players grew into the match.   Smallbone, Stephens, Valery, A. Armstrong and even Djenepo helped change the shape of the game.  Only Long in my view looked a liability, yet he still had a couple of moments drawing fouls.   You could hardly call Perraud a fringe player, and that goal had been coming judged on several other sweet strikes from distance lately.

Once again Broja showed that the 25 million pound tag some on here are forecasting is likely well short of what's required.      Well played Ward-Prowse, not only the emphatic penalty but held the midfield well and linked the play well.   Redmond's cameo was good and Willy's late save compensated for some shaky moments.   

• Like 2

Perraud has got a sledgehammer of a left foot and regularly hits the target. Think he'll be good for a few goals over a season. he's been very unlucky with two that smashed against the woodwork. As someone else said, it would be interesting to see him try a few free kicks on the right where JWP tends to struggle.

My ratings as had to watch on TV  due to illness

Cabillero       6.5     Brilliant save near the end made up for his error for the goal
KWP              6.0     An average game for one of my favourite players
Peraud          8.5     He is really coming into his own now and his goal was spectacular
JWP              8.5     What can I say about this human dynamo. Just one misplaced pass in the whole game
Stephens      8.0      Possibly an 8.5. An imperious display at the back. Well done Jack.
Valery           7.5       Exceeded my expectations.
Diallo            6.5      An in and out game but overall a reasonable performance
Smallbone    7.0      Decent performance. Seems to be improving and hopefully one for the future.
Long             6.0      Typical Longy. Plenty of effort but not much more.
Adam A         7.0      Plenty of energy but not much goal threat and shanked the one half reasonable chance her had.
Djnepo          5.5      Looked rusty/out of his depth but give him credit for some decent defensive work

Livremento    6.0    Did Ok when he came on.
Adam A          7.0    As usual impressed with his energy.
Redmond       7.0    Thought he did well when he came on and nearly scored a worldly.
Broja               8.0    Probably worth more but only played a bit part but an Oscar winning performance.
Oriel               6.0     A bit part but a majestic bit part.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I’m happy to hold my hands up and admit I massively overreacted (not in a good way) to the starting 11.

Bloody well done to each and every one tonight. 😇

Ditto. Didn’t see that coming tonight, and glad to be very wrong. Ralph is justified in his faith in our squad. What looked like a kamikaze team was actually brilliant squad management. 

• Like 5

Jeez, Perraud sure strikes the ball crisply. Tonight's howitzer and the rocket against Spurs were top drawer.

He's not far behind JWP on that front, and I'd love to see both of them standing over free kicks outside the box. Righty and lefty - nightmare scenario for keepers.

Edited by CanadaSaint
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Secret Site Agent said:

Poor, poor, West Ham

Ralph has proven once again how much we are full of crap as supporters

And we have shut up the commentators.

Smileeeee

As Clough said I suggest they shut up and show more football.

• Like 1

Exceptional result given the circumstances.

id be seething if I was a Hammers Fan, they offered very little and with 9 changes they were clear favourites.

special mentions to

- Valery, looks a great player at CB, completely different to RB. Found his position. 

- Perraud, everything that Bertrand wasn’t in his last 18 months. Storming performance, passion, commitment, work rate. incredible goal. He’s been a great signing, sets the tempo for everyone on the pitch.

stephens - very capable CB these days and a real club steward, never seemed troubled.

On the flip side, thought Diallo didn’t have his best game tonight, made silly decisions and gave the ball away.

• Like 5

It’s a long time since I’ve been so buzzing at a result as that. Probably due to thinking we’d get comfortably beaten when I saw the team. A master class from Ralph in hindsight, 2 great goals and well deserved win. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Yeah, thought AA looked lively tonight and did a lot of good work. Just wish he'd have taken that shot on in the first half instead of trying to find Smallbone. Lots still to come from AA I reckon and he's good to have in the squad.

Strange I thought he was lightweigt a lot of speed and energy but did nothing significant in the Penalty area unlike Broja

3 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Adam Armstrong had two really good chances quite early on, one that he blasted over and the other passed it instead of shooting. I was really worried for him at that point, but I think after that he had a pretty good game without many more chances of his own. He made a lot of clever runs to get the ball in space on the wings, and others to draw defenders away from the action. He worked his ass off doing a lot of pressing, and getting back to help out in midfield.

I think he's he's got a better goal than Romain or Romeu in him. And when he gets it he'll be hard to stop. 

Agree, I think there is definitely a player in there somewhere. How many times has he actually been on the pitch at the same time as both Moi, Stu and one of Broja/Adams? Can't have been many minutes at all given Stu was injured for a large chunk of the first half of the season and he had Walcott and Djenepo ruining any of our attacking play. 

OMG, I so nearly gave up trying to find a stream for that and seeing the lineup thought I wasn't going to miss much.

Big shout out thank you to you Chez - your link worked perfectly and I am so glad I got to watch that. Perfect game for me as i missed the first 25 minutes when West Ham were apparently bossing it.

Like more than a few others I really thought Ralph had blown this with the starting lineup which was very much Southampton B vs West Ham A...how wrong I was. (Again).

• Like 1

Us getting to the quarter final means that the Burnley away match will need to be rescheduled, probably to a midweek match.

No midweek match before the quarter final and international break after so can play our strongest 11.

Edited by M271
  • Like 1

Amazing result considering the relative strength of both teams put out, Ralph is a genius!

Good performances all round but it's about time Valery started getting the respect he deserves from the fanbase, he's proving to be a very competent CB option. Tonight has shown the big difference from last season, we don't just have a team we have a squad. And the way we're playing we might just have a crack at doing something special in the cup?

We're not hanging onto Broja are we...

You'd have to think that if Theo couldn't get into that starting lineup he's now low on Ralph's depth chart. And with Ralph pulling Djenepo at half time after another of his "fart in a thunderstorm" performances you'd have to think he might be joining Theo down there.

For me, sad to say, it makes us a better squad if those two are OUT of consideration rather than in it. Addition by subtraction.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We have players scoring screamers from all over the pitch now. Talk about a team in form

Yes, I wonder if they've stepped up shooting practice in training. Redmond also struck a good one that the keeper did well to scramble round the post.

This bunch of players really gave it their all when many of them haven't played for a while. I thought Smallbone had some excellent moments, as did Valery, who was excellent throughout and kept it simple when needed. Many players looked like they really wanted to seize the opportunity to stake their claim.

Caballero - an excellent save, but also cost us a goal and nearly two! Not commanding enough but excellent reflexes.

Perraud's goal. Phwoar! Scorcher.

Hoping for a favourable draw!

This - Love Saints! 

"Making nine changes doesn't mean that we're not looking for this cup," Hasenhuttl told BBC Sport. "It's a super opportunity for us. But we shouldn't forget these players have brought us here.

"You can't speak about having a big squad and trusting everyone and not show the right signals. It was hard for them in the beginning with no rhythm playing in front of 28,000 fans."

• Like 5

Expected a few changes, not 9 changes though. Fair play to Ralph. He put huge faith in his squad and they delivered. West Ham were poor and needed a gift from Willy to get back into it, but we've had their number this season which has been great to watch.

I have been one of the biggest critics of Valery on here, but he was excellent tonight. Maybe there is a future for him at CB. Stephens was very good too, both kept Antonio and Bowen quiet. Perraud continues to impress and has been threatening a goal like that all season. He has a very bright future with us. 

Seen alot of criticism of Diallo. Yes he was sloppy at times, but he kept demanding the ball and put himself about quite well. Its hard to come in and face arguably the best CM in the PL right now. AA you can tell he is low on confidence (not helped by what Broja comes on and does) but he made some great runs and got into good positions. Hopefully it will come for him soon, although his gametime will be limited being 4th choice right now (unless Long is injured).

Middlesboro, Palace or Boreham Wood next round please. Although would take anybody at home right now

• Like 5