Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Paulwantsapint81

Avoid Liverpool, City or Chelsea in the draw and we've got a real good chance at Wembley. Hope two of them come up against each other as well.

Be interesting to see if he sticks with "the same players who got us here" in the QF or he brings a few back in. Perraud/Stephens/Valery all brilliant. Not so much on Caballero/Diallo/Djenepo/Long.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Great win, onto the quarters we go, I know they're the giant killers, but we'll take Middlesbrough in the next round, or Boreham Wood when they get their expected win tomorrow night, please.

I have no concerns when I see Jack Stephens in the team these days. He's grown into a solid CB for this level. However, I never thought I'd see the day where Valery looks competent in a back two against Premier League opposition. I always thought his future would be further up the pitch, but he's proven me wrong. Strange how he can't defend at RB, but can at CB.

Perraud's turning into a very good signing. Really putting up a fight to start at left-back in the league. Adam Armstrong, although didn't look like scoring tonight, put in a shift again. He's at least having an effect on matches.

If his contract isn't extended, I would like that to be Caballero's last match for us. End on a high, a win and a good save. But, he was at fault for the goal and the good save came from another of his errors. Too risky playing him in the latter stages of the cup when Forster's in the form he is. I guess, Djenepo and Diallo from the squad players failed to impress tonight too. I always want Djenepo to come good after his start to his Saints career, but he's just not at this level, he doesn't know what he's doing himself. While, Diallo surprised me. He's looked capable previously, hopefully a one off, but he really showed the importance of having Romeu.

Great times to be a Saints fan though, now we go onto Villa at the weekend with what should be a pretty fresh squad.

• Like 2

In Ralph's defence - and to totally argue against my own pre-match criticism - we have some players with significant potential that will only be realized if they play more. Valery and Smallbone are great examples. Both of them lack the self-confidence that can really only come with game time, and A. Armstrong is on the same list.

I just wasn't ready to see them get the chance in a last-16 FA Cup tie.

• Like 8