Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Paulwantsapint81

Diallo the weakest player so far, couple of very shaky passes. I would also bring salisu on for Valery (if he had made the squad 😅

Che Adams on for one of our 2 strikers. 

Edited by Saint86

I do feel a little bit for djenepo. He really needed a run of games to develop and he's never really got it. Especially his style of position which needs confidence. I remember he put in a motm performance against chelsea, then got dropped for Redmond, and barely saw another minute that season (despite often on bench so likely fit). With Redmond getting chance after chance after bloody chance, djenepo deserved a run after that performance to see what he could with some confidence and not worrying about his position. 

But clearly he is done here and best thing will be to release him

• Like 2

i thought we were mostly poor. Great goal, obviously, but other than that, West Ham carved us open or two or three great chances and created almost nothing.  The important thing though is we have something to hold on to now, so our lack of penetration doesn't matter as long as we can keep a clean sheet. I'd make lot of subs right now.

• Like 1

I'll defend Djenepo. We know he's capable of real quality. In this game he's regained possession for us on many occasions. Yes, a couple of terrible passes. But I think he'll come good. (However, with the stakes high for this game wouldn't argue with bringing on Armstrong for him.)  I do think there's something up w Diallo's confidence and would love to see Romeu on second half.  Overall, it's pretty amazing how good a squad we have. Perraud... pure gold.  Shane Long is still blistering fast. And great in the air. And smart.  C'mon Saints. We must win this!!!!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Diallo the weakest player so far, couple of very shaky passes. I would also bring salisu on for Valery. 

Che Adams on for one of our 2 strikers. 

That would be a good trick, Salisu not on the bench.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Fair play, we're giving it a go.

Djenepo and Armstrong are shocking, though. That's £30m we won't get much return on.

Diallo had a mental couple of minutes, be he seems to have recognised that passing to Saints players is the preferred course of action.

Beautiful strike from Perraud - he's been threatening it for weeks. Defensively, he's been caught in some odd positions, mind you.

Smallbone has been fairly decent.

Let's see what the second half brings. We've done well to limit their set pieces so far.

3 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Beautiful strike from Perraud - he's been threatening it for weeks

Is he now to be known as “Threat” Perraud. Seems hes been threatening a lot for weeks

maybe “The Threat” Perraud 

Edited by Warriorsaint

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

That would be a good trick, Salisu not on the bench.

Squad was weaker than I knew. In fairness I just looked at the starting 11 and decided that Ralph was having one of his mentalist nights! 

Ok last post and I'll use it now. At times West Ham have ripped us apart, but the longer that half went on, spurred on by GOAL OF THE ROUND from Perraud, we grew in confidence and actually started to look decent. It's far too early to dispel the pre-match worries but most of us would have taken 1-0 up at half time.

I can see Ralph changing the shape at some point and going 3 CBs if West Ham continue to push us, and our bench is also freaking strong if the need comes to mix it up. We'll have to soak up a lot of pressure in the second half.

IF, and it's a big if, we qualify for the next round, I will be amazed and delighted and retract all my pre-match statements!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adrian lord said:

Smallbone has a great 1st touch. 

looks like we have a real prospect on our hands.

like to see him play with a first choice side around him. I only ever seem to see him in these makeshift sides and we tend to look weak and open in midfield - which makes me question him - which is unfair. 

• Like 2

Djenepo has been dreadful. He offers more defensively than going forward. A very poor man’s Papa Waigo!! As for the rest, it’s going ok. AA needs this season to acclimatise, just as Che did. Bring on Romeu, Broja and Redmond. Take off AA, Diallo, Djenepo.

Edited by Scoobysaint
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic